Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #121
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well at first I kept thinking, now they have to start over with learning a defense and we will hear the same quote that it is going to take another year because we have to get the defense to learn the system.
Well, I guess I should bet on Atlanta next year. Just think how good they'll be when they aren't shackled by coaching changes and new players.

or

The "it takes a year if something changes" bromide isn't all that accurate, although useful for "wait until next year" purposes.

I expect the defense to step it up next year no matter who they hire. No excuses about gelling or wrong personel for the new system should be acceptable. The Texans should bring in a coach that matches the talent available (roster, free agents, draft), or somebody messed up selecting the new coach.
Old 12-30-2008   #122
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Greg Robinson (born October 9, 1951 in Los Angeles, California) is an American football coach. He was most recently the head coach of the Syracuse University Orange football team from 2005 until 2008. Robinson also served as the co-defensive coordinator at the University of Texas during the 2004 season. Prior to his role at Texas, he was defensive coordinator for three teams in the National Football League: the Kansas City Chiefs under Dick Vermeil, the Denver Broncos under Mike Shanahan, where his team won two Super Bowl championships in 1997 and 1998, and the New York Jets under Pete Carroll.

From Wiki
I think Robinson or Bush will be the pick. JMO
Old 12-30-2008   #123
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tatum Bell has offered to come pick up Smith's stuff.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #124
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Was Frank Bush possibly calling the plays for the defense towards the end of the season as a try out? Pure speculation on my part, but just wondering.
Old 12-30-2008   #125
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Was Frank Bush possibly calling the plays for the defense towards the end of the season as a try out? Pure speculation on my part, but just wondering.
Meh, unless Bush gets the job and its mentioned in an interview, I doubt we'll ever know. One of the players might let it slip though. We should ask Dunta Robinson.
Old 12-30-2008   #126
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I found it disconcerting Kubiak's response to the experience question....

Something to the effect of we will be talking to people with DC experience and some without and that it wasn't the key issue.

Bleh.

He needs an experienced DC. He just does.
Yes and I'm of the opinion that he should know this by now. This is more of that learning curve thing we're all kind of "nervous" about with Kubiak. Yes he's getting better but damn, by the time he gets this all figured out it feels like we'll be dead of old age.

Go find a known quantity Gary. Please!
Old 12-30-2008   #127
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

About time. I would have fired him after his first year here. He should have been canned after last year.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2008   #128
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I did not know that about Robinson. I just always think of the crappy record he had at Syracuse.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #129
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If we're promoting in-house I think I'd rather have Holland than Bush. The linebackers were the lone bright spot (outside of Mario) on defense. Honestly I'm not even sure what Bush did for the D. Robinson? Well he did win 2 super bowls, can't be all bad news.

There is talent on this defense, someone will be able to bring it out.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #130
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I found it disconcerting Kubiak's response to the experience question....

Something to the effect of we will be talking to people with DC experience and some without and that it wasn't the key issue.

Bleh.

He needs an experienced DC. He just does.
I would not want to blindly lock into a preference (playing calling experience or 4-3 defense) and then over look a guy has a better overall package..i.e. innovative mind, ability to teach, ability to motivate, etc. It is an easier sell to public if you find an experienced guy, but not always a beter choice.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #131
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I would not want to blindly lock into a preference (playing calling experience or 4-3 defense) and then over look a guy has a better overall package..i.e. innovative mind, ability to teach, ability to motivate, etc. It is an easier sell to public if you find an experienced guy, but not always a beter choice.
Quoting this because I'm down. I think whomever is the next hire for DC should at least get one year to make his case. Richard Smith's case was terrible his first year, and then just as significantly bad the next two.

Even if they hire whatever goofball is currently running the Bronco's defense, I don't care, just as long as it's not that failure that we have been seperated from.
Old 12-30-2008   #132
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Just name Jerry Gray for the love of God, or Earl Campbell.
Old 12-30-2008   #133
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
So the question is....would Kubes mind a DC making more money than him at the cost of having a great D and winning team?
Spagnuolo is under contract as the DC for the Giants until after the 2010 season. He can leave for a HC gig, but unless the Giants release him from his contract (which they're never going to do), he can't make a lateral move no matter what the pay is.

Non-starter of an idea.
Old 12-30-2008   #134
SICLICK
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 SICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden cover

This is almost everything i wanted to happen!!!!
SICLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #135
sometexansfan
Blue Bomber

Rep Power: 142 sometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedsometexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

No more Richard Smith!!! No more pink soap for me!!!
sometexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #136
SICLICK
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 SICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sometexansfan View Post
No more Richard Smith!!! No more pink soap for me!!!
SICLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #137
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Spagnuolo is under contract as the DC for the Giants until after the 2010 season. He can leave for a HC gig, but unless the Giants release him from his contract (which they're never going to do), he can't make a lateral move no matter what the pay is.

Non-starter of an idea.
The league has been letting people get around that for years by just awarding them a title like Sherman had--assistant head coach.
Old 12-30-2008   #138
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The league has been letting people get around that for years by just awarding them a title like Sherman had--assistant head coach.
I thought they cracked down on that a few years ago. I can't remember a situation where an established coordinator who was under contract made a move to become Asst. Head Coach somewhere - can you?
Old 12-30-2008   #139
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Ugh! It's like nobody is paying attention. Mangini is a 3-4 guy. Phillips is a 3-4 guy. Crennel is a 3-4 guy. We do not have the personnel for a 3-4 defense! It would mean starting from scratch, and we can't do that. Next year is too important.

Greg Williams and Rod Marinelli are the only two REALISTIC candidates I've heard so far that do anything for me.

Sorry for snapping... I'm just tired of seeing all these 3-4 guys. There's NO WAY IN HELL they hire a 3-4 guy.
you don't think those guys can run a 4-3 defense? they all have run it during their careers and I believe Mangini ran a hybrid between 4-3 and 3-4 as recently as this year.

I understand your skepticism and your passion, I am just pointing out guys that have a history of success that could be great additions to our coaching staff.

I just don't want some unproven guy that is going to need (and get) a few years of trial and error. We need a guy to step right in and for there to be no excuses. Excuses have plagued this franchise since day one.

All bets are off this offseason if a Shanahan can be fired. Who knows what is going to happen. I wonder if the Texans search for DC is affected by Shanahan's uncertain status as he may be assembling a new staff in the next few days.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 12-30-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #140
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I would be good with a position coach who has a history of success but a lot of those guys are in the playoff hunt right now.

I think for THIS TEAM, a team who is so looking for direction, they need coaches that they can believe in and have a track record of success.

I concur that it is good to keep your options open. And as we learned with the last coaching search, you don't always get your first choices.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read