Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #101
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
And Marinelli has never called a D.
Yeah, but I count him as experienced after that hellacious experience he just came out of.

I have to bring this up, unfortunately:

Who was the DC for the Broncos the years they won the back-to-back Super Bowls, and is he currently employed?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #102
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Ugh! It's like nobody is paying attention. Mangini is a 3-4 guy. Phillips is a 3-4 guy. Crennel is a 3-4 guy. We do not have the personnel for a 3-4 defense! It would mean starting from scratch, and we can't do that. Next year is too important.

Greg Williams and Rod Marinelli are the only two REALISTIC candidates I've heard so far that do anything for me.

Sorry for snapping... I'm just tired of seeing all these 3-4 guys. There's NO WAY IN HELL they hire a 3-4 guy.
I'd go with Williams if I have to, but would the guys really respect someone (Marinelli) who got fired after leading a team to a perfect winless record? Its Greg Williams who's the better fit of the more competent available DCs.
Old 12-30-2008   #103
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a not-so-bold prediction:

The 2009 Houston Texans defensive coordinator will be:

A guy none of us have mentioned yet.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-30-2008   #104
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I found it disconcerting Kubiak's response to the experience question....

Something to the effect of we will be talking to people with DC experience and some without and that it wasn't the key issue.

Bleh.

He needs an experienced DC. He just does.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I think he already knows it's gonna be Bush, just that feeling I have in the old gut, and not a very good feeling to tell the truth. Kubes seems to like giving guys a chance. As I've said MANY times on this board, I am SICK of the Texans being used as a training ground for wanna be coaches. Put some money and experience into the pick and lets get on with building a competitive team. Sorry, but, I'm just not in the mood to give someone else 3 yrs to learn the job.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #105
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Yeah, but I count him as experienced after that hellacious experience he just came out of.

I have to bring this up, unfortunately:

Who was the DC for the Broncos the years they won the back-to-back Super Bowls, and is he currently employed?
Greg Robinson (born October 9, 1951 in Los Angeles, California) is an American football coach. He was most recently the head coach of the Syracuse University Orange football team from 2005 until 2008. Robinson also served as the co-defensive coordinator at the University of Texas during the 2004 season. Prior to his role at Texas, he was defensive coordinator for three teams in the National Football League: the Kansas City Chiefs under Dick Vermeil, the Denver Broncos under Mike Shanahan, where his team won two Super Bowl championships in 1997 and 1998, and the New York Jets under Pete Carroll.

From Wiki
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #106
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Greg Robinson (born October 9, 1951 in Los Angeles, California) is an American football coach. He was most recently the head coach of the Syracuse University Orange football team from 2005 until 2008. Robinson also served as the co-defensive coordinator at the University of Texas during the 2004 season. Prior to his role at Texas, he was defensive coordinator for three teams in the National Football League: the Kansas City Chiefs under Dick Vermeil, the Denver Broncos under Mike Shanahan, where his team won two Super Bowl championships in 1997 and 1998, and the New York Jets under Pete Carroll.

From Wiki
So - he's currently not working.

Ladies and Gentlemen - the favorite for the Texans' DC job - Greg Robinson.

Thanks for the info, Brak.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-30-2008   #107
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'm starting to wonder what Bush, Holland and Rhodes did that covinced Smith and Kubiak that they should keep their jobs.

Any thoughts?
Easy, obvious answer: Kubiak already had his scapegoat(s).
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2008   #108
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139474 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I think he already knows it's gonna be Bush, just that feeling I have in the old gut, and not a very good feeling to tell the truth. Kubes seems to like giving guys a chance. As I've said MANY times on this board, I am SICK of the Texans being used as a training ground for wanna be coaches. Put some money and experience into the pick and lets get on with building a competitive team. Sorry, but, I'm just not in the mood to give someone else 3 yrs to learn the job.
Yeesh, I'm with you there on this SheTexan. Kubes has to know that his job rides on next year and I don't see how he can gamble on a guy without DC experience. Maybe he figures there aren't any homeruns out there available for the job and anyone could be a gamble, but I'd rather not have another guy learning on the job when we should be contending for a playoff spot next year. The defense HAS to turn it around and what did Bush really learn under Smith that he could extract and turn into defensive gold?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #109
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Yeesh, I'm with you there on this SheTexan. Kubes has to know that his job rides on next year and I don't see how he can gamble on a guy without DC experience. Maybe he figures there aren't any homeruns out there available for the job and anyone could be a gamble, but I'd rather not have another guy learning on the job when we should be contending for a playoff spot next year. The defense HAS to turn it around and what did Bush really learn under Smith that he could extract and turn into defensive gold?
So the question is....would Kubes mind a DC making more money than him at the cost of having a great D and winning team?
Old 12-30-2008   #110
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ugh! It's like nobody is paying attention. Mangini is a 3-4 guy. Phillips is a 3-4 guy. Crennel is a 3-4 guy. We do not have the personnel for a 3-4 defense! It would mean starting from scratch, and we can't do that. Next year is too important.

Greg Williams and Rod Marinelli are the only two REALISTIC candidates I've heard so far that do anything for me.

Sorry for snapping... I'm just tired of seeing all these 3-4 guys. There's NO WAY IN HELL they hire a 3-4 guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
And Marinelli has never called a D.
We need a D-Line coach and that is what merinelli was in TB and would be an excellent option there. Mike Nolan ran a 4-3 and a 3-4 Defense.
Old 12-30-2008   #111
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

About time.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #112
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see some of these names come in but in the bland, doing things by the book world of the Texans they will stay the course and just hire Bush and go from there. The excuse not to change to a high end coordinator will be.."he knows our personnel and they respect him." Just mark my word now and you will hear this from Kubes.
Old 12-30-2008   #113
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'd love to see some of these names come in but in the bland, doing things by the book world of the Texans they will stay the course and just hire Bush and go from there. The excuse not to change to a high end coordinator will be.."he knows our personnel and they respect him." Just mark my word now and you will hear this from Kubes.

After seven years of that same ole quote, lets hope they see the light and NOT be predictable.
Old 12-30-2008   #114
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm bookmarking this thread, because I have a feeling that when the decision is made it may shock a few folks.
Old 12-30-2008   #115
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm bookmarking this thread, because I have a feeling that when the decision is made it may shock a few folks.
I hope so TB.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #116
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well at first I kept thinking, now they have to start over with learning a defense and we will hear the same quote that it is going to take another year because we have to get the defense to learn the system.

Then I thought about it and realized they never really learned a system to begin with and once you just tell them to get the QB, everything else falls in place, so there shouldn't be any drop off.

What is Jerry Gray doing these days?

What if 49ers go for a coach like Mangini and Singletary is free again?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #117
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

PLEASE let me be shocked!!!!! Cause right now my bet is on Bush being named the next DC.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #118
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm also guessing Bush is plan B if they don't get the guy the want. I think if he was going to be the new DC, they would have announced it at the same time as Smith's firing.
I think they have to interview a black candidate first as to not get in trouble...

errr... nevermind. Maybe they have to interview a white candidate so they don't get in trouble.

What's a thread without having to be P.C.?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #119
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please do because I'm going to laugh when I see my quote above from Gary. Hope you are right and it is a surprise.
Old 12-30-2008   #120
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Well at first I kept thinking, now they have to start over with learning a defense and we will hear the same quote that it is going to take another year because we have to get the defense to learn the system.

Then I thought about it and realized they never really learned a system to begin with and once you just tell them to get the QB, everything else falls in place, so there shouldn't be any drop off.

What is Jerry Gray doing these days?

What if 49ers go for a coach like Mangini and Singletary is free again?
Singletary is the 49er coach.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read