Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #81
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

All I got out of Kubes presser was that he will interview Bush for the DC job.
Old 12-30-2008   #82
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

and other guys. he also said they aren't requiring the new DC to have experience but that they will look for 4-3 guys but not eleminate anyone.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #83
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I found it disconcerting Kubiak's response to the experience question....

Something to the effect of we will be talking to people with DC experience and some without and that it wasn't the key issue.

Bleh.

He needs an experienced DC. He just does.
Old 12-30-2008   #84
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
All I got out of Kubes presser was that he will interview Bush for the DC job.
Yeah, he never really reveals... anything. Heh.

So just like a lot of us thought and hoped - Bush is going to be interviewed as a Plan B candidate.

I don't really want to celebrate a guy losing his job and income anymore - especially during the holidays... but I'll just say I'm glad they've moved on, and I'm glad Kubiak was able to break from his intensely loyal attitude toward these things.

It'll probably be a few weeks, but I'm happy to hear that Kubes is planning to talk to some very experienced, longtime NFL defensive people for this job.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #85
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Something to the effect of we will be talking to people with DC experience and some without and that it wasn't the key issue.

Bleh.

Totally agree. We can NOT roll the dice on a boy genius on defense.

He did kind of contradict himself though - he said he wasn't concerned about a lot of experience, then he said he would be talking to a lot of guys who have coached in this league a lot of years.

With Kubiak and the media - I just assume he's revealing as little as possible so I'm not too concerned about what he said. I do think he wants an experienced guy.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-30-2008   #86
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bleh.

Pobably just leaving everything open ended and not eliminating possibilties right off the bat.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #87
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
As long as we bring in viable candidates for the DC position and don't "give it" to Bush, I'm happy as a clam about this!
I just hope if Bush does get it everyone doesn't assume he was given the job. Never mind--totally unrealistic hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'm starting to wonder what Bush, Holland and Rhodes did that covinced Smith and Kubiak that they should keep their jobs.

Any thoughts?
Bush--to compete for the job.
Holland--development of the LBs has been good with a 7th rounder and rookie playing well.
Rhodes--well respected mind. This year he worked the safeties and got Barber going as well as getting production from Wilson/Ferguson.

I don't see the reason to limit the coaching search to only guys with previous DC experience. Safer doesn't mean better.
Old 12-30-2008   #88
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I think we don't need to assume that Bush will take over. It makes sense that when evaluating coaches you would fire the ones that you know you don't want to keep and you don't fire the ones that performed well. If you bring in an outside DC then he has these guys to choose from in his quest to fill a staff. If he has guys he likes better, you dismiss these guys.

I don't think it says that they are for sure promoting Bush. Of course I could be proven wrong in 30 minutes. But it makes sense to keep them on at this stage. I am certainly a proponent of bringing in a DC that has a proven track record. Thus far Gregg Williams seems to be the best name I've heard come up on this board.

I'm excited that they moved swiftly to take advantange of all the coaching moves that will take place.
I missed the press conference but what Barrett says pretty much sums up what I think will happen. We kept some assistant coaches who we believe did their jobs well and have some talent. We will search for a new DC and he can choose to keep or ditch any of them. Its a good move because it would be tough to bring in an entirely new defensive staff and good assistants are not easy to come by.

I wanted 9-7 for Christmas but this is a pretty sweet little consolation.
Old 12-30-2008   #89
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Let's all hope its not Bush as DC. But at least Joke err Hoke didn't get promoted into the job. That was my biggest fear.

I think its gonna be a total revamp though. We will know soon. Let's just hope McNair spares no expense in getting the best DC available. If he goes the cheap route AGAIN, I will be very disappointed.
Old 12-30-2008   #90
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I just hope if Bush does get it everyone doesn't assume he was given the job. Never mind--totally unrealistic hope.

Bush--to compete for the job.
Holland--development of the LBs has been good with a 7th rounder and rookie playing well.
Rhodes--well respected mind. This year he worked the safeties and got Barber going as well as getting production from Wilson/Ferguson.

I don't see the reason to limit the coaching search to only guys with previous DC experience. Safer doesn't mean better.
But if Holland's teaching of the LBs secured his job, why didn't the development of Mario, and Bulman, and D. Robinson secure Franklin's job?

Just bouncing stuff off the walls.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I think its gonna be a total revamp though. We will know soon. Let's just hope McNair spares no expense in getting the best DC available. If he goes the cheap route AGAIN, I will be very disappointed.
So tell us now, who are the only acceptable non-cheap options for the team who are available?
Old 12-30-2008   #92
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Why in the world would Steve Spagnuolo go from DC of the NYG to DC of the Texans? Money? No chance. Spags will be a head coach in 2009... and even if money WOULD lure him away to stay a DC (which it never would) he would command as much or more money than Kubiak makes. Not going to happen. It has nothing to do with the Texans being cheap.

I'm also guessing Bush is plan B if they don't get the guy the want. I think if he was going to be the new DC, they would have announced it at the same time as Smith's firing.

We'll know more in 30 minutes.
I would say because teams who fired their coaches have no upside whatever and would take years to rebuild. The Texans have great upside with just a few minor pieces to have an elite D and Spagnuolo would solidify that even further and be even more attractive to whatever free agents out there looking for a team with great potential. If they have a mediocre season again, guess what, Spagnuolo has his head coaching gig, if they have an awesome season, then its a win/win situation for the Texans and Spagnuolo. Besides, last I checked every coach has a price.
Old 12-30-2008   #93
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bleh.

It would be a mistake to immediately limit your options to experienced coordinators I believe. A guy like Sean McDermott out of Philly could be the next Spagnuolo. On the other hand there will be a lot of talented former DCs available so if we decide to go with an unproven option the competition will be extremely stiff and he will have to really stand out in interviews etc. Either way we are going to see some serious changes on D next year and I am so pumped about it.
Old 12-30-2008   #94
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I don't believe anyone who has been part of this defenses failures over the last several years should be leading the defense next year.
Old 12-30-2008   #95
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
I would say because teams who fired their coaches have no upside whatever and would take years to rebuild. The Texans have great upside with just a few minor pieces to have an elite D and Spagnuolo would solidify that even further and be even more attractive to whatever free agents out there looking for a team with great potential. If they have a mediocre season again, guess what, Spagnuolo has his head coaching gig, if they have an awesome season, then its a win/win situation for the Texans and Spagnuolo. Besides, last I checked every coach has a price.
Yes - but he'd make more than the head coach. That's never going to happen. I mean, I like Kubes and I want him to stay as coach - but at this point he certainly doesn't deserve a raise or an extension. You can't have a DC making more money than the HC!

There's a better chance of Haynesworth and Asomugha starting for the Texans next year - and the chances of that are already less than zero.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-30-2008   #96
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
So tell us now, who are the only acceptable non-cheap options for the team who are available?
I don't know Icak. Just someone who isn't one of Kubiak's Denver cronies would be a start. Denver isn't exactly a hotbed of defensive coaching. Gregg Williams, Mangini, Romeo, or maybe a longshot in Wade Phillips (if/when fired). Those guys have shown they can do it and were so adept at being a DC they got hired as Head Coaches (unlike RS who had shown nothing and was probably the 5th name on their initial list in 06). Give me someone who has a track record and has had success. Not asking for much.
Old 12-30-2008   #97
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I don't know Icak. Just someone who isn't one of Kubiak's Denver cronies would be a start. Denver isn't exactly a hotbed of defensive coaching. Gregg Williams, Mangini, Romeo, or maybe a longshot in Wade Phillips (if/when fired). Those guys have shown they can do it (unlike RS who had shown nothing and was probably the 5th name on their initial list in 06). Just give me someone who has a track record and has had success.
Ugh! It's like nobody is paying attention. Mangini is a 3-4 guy. Phillips is a 3-4 guy. Crennel is a 3-4 guy. We do not have the personnel for a 3-4 defense! It would mean starting from scratch, and we can't do that. Next year is too important.

Greg Williams and Rod Marinelli are the only two REALISTIC candidates I've heard so far that do anything for me.

Sorry for snapping... I'm just tired of seeing all these 3-4 guys. There's NO WAY IN HELL they hire a 3-4 guy.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-30-2008   #98
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard smith - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
That pink soap is powerful.
Yes it is! I'm happy......

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #99
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Greg Williams and Rod Marinelli are the only two REALISTIC candidates I've heard so far that do anything for me.
And Marinelli has never called a D.
Old 12-30-2008   #100
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole presser was strange to me. Kubes had to talk about how good of coaches/guys the guys were but answer to what caused them to lose their job. Awkward. Basically they should just allow his to step up, say the job wasn't getting done and walk off.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read