Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #61
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I dunno was this the key PR move to appease the frustrated fans and avoid
TV blackouts in the '09 season ?

I'd say it's half the battle. HOLY CRAP, I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. GI Joe says "knowing is half the battle"...I guess actually following through with dumping the dead weight is the other half.

Ease some of the frustration on behalf of the fans...the Texans would sell out next year anyway, avoiding any blackouts.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #62
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

We no longer need the pink soap!
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #63
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard smith - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
so....it looks like we will promote in house since Bush and a few other coaches are still around. Most coordinators want to bring in their own staff.
We should know at 1:30. If they are promoting in house, you'd think they'd announce it then. Though, I suppose Bush could be the fall back plan if the other candidates are too expensive/don't want to be here.

Good observation though.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #64
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
We should know at 1:30. If they are promoting in house, you'd think they'd announce it then. Though, I suppose Bush could be the fall back plan if the other candidates are too expensive/don't want to be here.

Good observation though.
We should at least be interviewing from the outside first. At least I hope so.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #65
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
I guess Bush is cheaper than considering a genius like Spagnuolo.
Are you talking about the DC for the New York Giants?

After checking the Giants website I see that you are. So with teams looking at him for a Head Coaching position you expect him to make a lateral move to the Texans while still under contract with the Giants?

OK I am sorry I am better now ...

Sorry but this is some funny stuff right here.

Maybe we could get Bill Cowher to coach the Defense.
Old 12-30-2008   #66
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm tired of arm tackling and watching receivers eat us up. Good move.
Old 12-30-2008   #67
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

The Texans did the right thing. Thank goodness.

Now, are we looking at Bush being promoted to DC? Does this really give us anything new or exciting? I'm not at all happy with the prospect of promoting from within when our defense was horrible in all facets of the game. I fear more of the same if we settle for an insider. I could be completely wrong though.
I wonder if that was the case, why wouldn't they make that announcement now? Seems to me Bush will get the job only if none of the other guys on their short list are interested/available.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2008   #68
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
so....it looks like we will promote in house since Bush and a few other coaches are still around. Most coordinators want to bring in their own staff.
I agree with you, but I am hopeful that it only indicates that they are keeping Bush on board so he can be one candidate in the hiring process.
It would make sense to keep him on board and tell him he will have a fair shot along with whatever external candidates they interview. Maybe he's indicated which of the existing coaches he would retain if he won the job, so they kept them around for now.

grrr. Even as I type this, it reeks of wishful thinking.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #69
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyFresh View Post
I guess Bush is cheaper than considering a genius like Spagnuolo.
Why in the world would Steve Spagnuolo go from DC of the NYG to DC of the Texans? Money? No chance. Spags will be a head coach in 2009... and even if money WOULD lure him away to stay a DC (which it never would) he would command as much or more money than Kubiak makes. Not going to happen. It has nothing to do with the Texans being cheap.

I'm also guessing Bush is plan B if they don't get the guy the want. I think if he was going to be the new DC, they would have announced it at the same time as Smith's firing.

We'll know more in 30 minutes.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #70
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we don't need to assume that Bush will take over. It makes sense that when evaluating coaches you would fire the ones that you know you don't want to keep and you don't fire the ones that performed well. If you bring in an outside DC then he has these guys to choose from in his quest to fill a staff. If he has guys he likes better, you dismiss these guys.

I don't think it says that they are for sure promoting Bush. Of course I could be proven wrong in 30 minutes. But it makes sense to keep them on at this stage. I am certainly a proponent of bringing in a DC that has a proven track record. Thus far Gregg Williams seems to be the best name I've heard come up on this board.

I'm excited that they moved swiftly to take advantange of all the coaching moves that will take place.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #71
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Why in the world would Steve Spagnuolo go from DC of the NYG to DC of the Texans? Money? No chance. Spags will be a head coach in 2009... and even if money WOULD lure him away to stay a DC (which it never would) he would command as much or more money than Kubiak makes. Not going to happen. It has nothing to do with the Texans being cheap.

I'm also guessing Bush is plan B if they don't get the guy the want. I think if he was going to be the new DC, they would have announced it at the same time as Smith's firing.

We'll know more in 30 minutes.
Which position coach on the Giants has the most experiance with all aspects of defense, starting from the DLine Coach, to the linebackers (I don't really consider their secondary too good, more a byproduce of the front 7)
Old 12-30-2008   #72
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

HAPPY FREAKIN' NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #73
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I wonder if that was the case, why wouldn't they make that announcement now? Seems to me Bush will get the job only if none of the other guys on their short list are interested/available.
Someone else on a previous page suggested that they could be keeping Bush as a backup option in case they don't get who they want as DC. Interesting theory.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #74
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to wonder what Bush, Holland and Rhodes did that covinced Smith and Kubiak that they should keep their jobs.

Any thoughts?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #75
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

certainly the worst move would have been to fire everybody and start over. it's not like there are good asst. coaches just laying around watching tv. it's hard to build a solid staff just like it is a roster. this was the smartest move. i just hope they don't give it to Bush with out playing the field.
Old 12-30-2008   #76
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'm starting to wonder what Bush, Holland and Rhodes did that covinced Smith and Kubiak that they should keep their jobs.

Any thoughts?
It's hard to say with Bush. As an asst. DC you don't really know what his role was. But with Holland it's easy to say that you saw success in Demeco and great potential in Diles and Adibi so something good is happening there. There technique seemed decent. Unlike the DB's who seemed to be coached poorly with bad angles and poor technique. Rhodes I think is a different situation, I think he brings experience as a HC DC and Asst. to a young staff and more importantly, a young HC in Kubiak. I think he is a confidant to Kubiak on how to be a successful HC on top of a proven defensive knowledge base.
Old 12-30-2008   #77
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Great stuff. What perfect timing with all the peeps that are available as well. The other great thing is that we are going to be up there in terms of demand imo. We have key talent pieces in place already and we are an up and coming team in a well run and respected organization. We should def. be up there with getting alot of serious interviews.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #78
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Someone else on a previous page suggested that they could be keeping Bush as a backup option in case they don't get who they want as DC. Interesting theory.
I was one of the ones who thinks that - it's really the only thing that makes sense to me. They would have announced Bush immediately if he was the guy - but at the same time - DCs usually want to bring all their own guys in, so if they are going to get a guy like Williams or Marinelli - Bush and Holland still might not stick around. That would suck, because Holland does a great job IMO.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #79
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I was one of the ones who thinks that - it's really the only thing that makes sense to me. They would have announced Bush immediately if he was the guy - but at the same time - DCs usually want to bring all their own guys in, so if they are going to get a guy like Williams or Marinelli - Bush and Holland still might not stick around. That would suck, because Holland does a great job IMO.
That's cuz you smart. Maybe it will play out that way. Could be that they didn't announce Bush right away because they have to go through some official interview period? I'm not sure what the rules are anymore, especially with the effort to get minorities hired in NFL coaching positions.

I wonder what the timing on this all will be. Firing Smith is a relief, I'm just excited to see what the Texans do now.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #80
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post

Any thoughts?
I think it is more that they didn't do anything to affirmatively lose their jobs.

Smith's defense performed poorly for three years. And he had lost his players.

The Texans were Hoke's only NFL job.

IIRC, Jethro Franklin lost his job with Tampa Bay after the pass rushing stats for the team were really really terrible.

Holland is someone that the linebackers really really like. I understand it was Holland that fought to get DeMeco Ryans in 2006.

I am hoping that Bush is plan B if they can't get someone better.

As for Rhodes, he is an old hand.

I am guessing that they want to keep some guys for continuity and if the new guy doesn't like them for the position they are in, they will get reassigned like Bob Karmelowicz did.

Kubiak was very vague with Rhode's position with the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read