Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-30-2008   #1
JohnsonAndre80
noob

Default Which QB should the Texans draft?

Obviously this guy would be a back-up to Schaub for at least 2 years, but everybody knows Sage can't be trusted as the number 2.

With the 15th pick the Texans won't be able to touch Stafford, so I am thinking they could go after Harrell or Daniel in the 3rd.

What do you think?
JohnsonAndre80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which QB should the Texans draft?

i think you're crazy.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #3
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 875 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonAndre80 View Post
Obviously this guy would be a back-up to Schaub for at least 2 years, but everybody knows Sage can't be trusted as the number 2.

With the 15th pick the Texans won't be able to touch Stafford, so I am thinking they could go after Harrell or Daniel in the 3rd.

What do you think?
I'm fine with either pick as long as they can rush the passer, plug the middle or be a ball hawking FS.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #4
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

bomar in the 5th.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #5
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Just a thought. Tebow in the first. Let him ride the pine until he is needed.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I'm fine with either pick as long as they can rush the passer, plug the middle or be a ball hawking FS.
Or be able to relieve Slaton and get yards in the RZ

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #7
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
You know, if Tebow is there in the 2nd...
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
That's my kind of QB!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #9
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
No, No No - no Heisman winning QB!
Old 12-30-2008   #10
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sage ain't going anywhere, he has one more year left on his contract and Kubes likes him. SOOOOOO, save this thread for next year. Don't waste a pick on a QB, this year anyway. JMO.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #11
gwallaia

Rep Power: 62881 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans should draft defense in the first 4 rounds.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #12
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 348 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonAndre80 View Post

What do you think?
Our history shows we will draft a QB, but he will be a project, late on day 2.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
bomar in the 5th.
l wouldn't mind that. Whatever it is that compels Sage to throw in the dirt every seventh pass or so isn't goin' anywhere. He's had that mechanical flaw his whole career. If Kubes can't fix it , it's got to be between Sages ears.

Daniels will fall. I love the guy. Katy had to have a perfect game to beat him in the state championship game a few years back. And when I say perfect, that's exactly what it took.

Daniels will fall because of the height issue. I think with our rolling pockets, he could flourish in this offense in a pinch. But know going in with him, Warren Moon
at 6'3" ate a lot of balls in the pocket with batted balls at the LOS. Chase Daniels size will be a factor in the pocket at the next level. And there ain't no getting around that thingy. That makes him a late day two guy. I love him, but I won't over pay for him.
Old 12-30-2008   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
l wouldn't mind that. Whatever it is that compels Sage to throw in the dirt every seventh pass or so isn't goin' anywhere. He's had that mechanical flaw his whole career. If Kubes can't fix it , it's got to be between Sages ears.

Daniels will fall. I love the guy. Katy had to have a perfect game to beat him in the state championship game a few years back. And when I say perfect, that's exactly what it took.

Daniels will fall because of the height issue. I think with our rolling pockets, he could flourish in this offense in a pinch. But know going in with him, Warren Moon
at 6'3" ate a lot of balls in the pocket with batted balls at the LOS. Chase Daniels size will be a factor in the pocket at the next level. And there ain't no getting around that thingy. That makes him a late day two guy. I love him, but I won't over pay for him.
I like Daniel too. You mentioned his height so I won't dwell on that. He's got the wheels that I think could be good with this offense.

If we're going to carry 3 QB's on the roster, take one this year for our #3 qb so he can practice, I don't want to have a rookie 2nd day pick step in the be our #2 anyways in 2009. Any word on Alex Brink's status? I like the idea of taking Pat White on the 2nd day for a back up to Schaub. I just think he'd be a fun "change of pace" kind of guy to pair up with Slaton again. Don't know if he has long term potential to be a solid backup to Schaub though.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The team will draft a defender in the first round...pretty much period.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I'd spend a third on him if he can catch...make a good TE out of him (AND a short-yardage option)
Old 12-30-2008   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What are peoples' thoughts on Curtis Painter out of Purdue? I havn't really seen him play but he's got such a strong arm and good size.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

taking need over bpa is a cardinal draft sin. thats what free agency is about addressing needs that fit under your salary cap. for the record the Texans have already used more high picks on defense vs offense, despite Mario, Dunta, Amobi, TJ & Dunta Robinson where has it got them? those are the Texans building blocks. Sage is not what I'd like in a QB (career back-up). Why not have a young, potential starting QB in wait? think this is the year the Texans move him, if the opportunity arises once again. I would like Brink to step up & be that guy (Texans only used a 7th on him). smart teams with some leadership already in place will use a late 1st or 2nd rd. pick on QB. the odds of these prospects is much greater than the later rounds but I trust Kubiak in this area to be a shrewd evaluater, aside from David Carr reclamation project.

if I had to pick a guy, the Texans should be familar with that could fit scheme & run Kubiak system I'd look at Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State if they have addtional 3rd either in a trade (Sage) or another trade down scenero.

Last edited by beerlover; 12-30-2008 at 10:40 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #19
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Which QB should the Texans draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I think the Texans should draft defense in the first 4 rounds.
And RB in 5th? I'm ok with that. Maybe another O Lineman?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #20
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see the first pick spent on a linebacker (greenwood needs to go and Diles is back up) or a DE...whoever rates higher but is not a reach at #15.

Moving down a bit like they did last year for picks is kewl too.

RB in the 3rd or down and you can never have too many corners.

NO QBs please.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read