Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2010 Pro Bowl to be played in Miami.

brakos82

Yaters Gonna Yate.
The Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl in 2010 and both games will be staged in Dolphin Stadium, a person directly involved in the decision told the Associated Press on Monday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the NFL has not announced the move. It's not a new notion to have the game moved up to take place between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl.

Source: cbssportsline.com

Well, now what dance is Mario gonna do? :foottap:

My quick reaction to this is that it is a stupid move. For sure it means that any player playing in the super bowl will not play in the pro bowl. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyone with insight as to why this is a good idea?

The Pro Bowl needs to go away with Pro Bowl Honors still given out. Now they want to put it in front of the Super Bowl. That destroys what little dignity the Bowl had left, what with the players from the Conference Champs not playing and all.

Turn it into a big poker tournament, I'd watch that just to see the players act a fool and have fun.

The Pro Bowl needs to go away with Pro Bowl Honors still given out. Now they want to put it in front of the Super Bowl. That destroys what little dignity the Bowl had left, what with the players from the Conference Champs not playing and all.

Turn it into a big poker tournament, I'd watch that just to see the players act a fool and have fun.
I think Andre would be great at poker. Ocho Cinco... not so much. :user:

Before the SB? That means any player involved in the actual SB game will not be playing in the Pro Bowl.

The whole idea seems really stupid to me.

My quick reaction to this is that it is a stupid move. For sure it means that any player playing in the super bowl will not play in the pro bowl. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know if it's a good move, but it can't be a bad move, because as it stands right now, nothing in the world of sports is more boring or irrelevent than the NFL Pro Bowl.

I watched virtually the entire Chargers/Broncos game last night, even though I never really cared who won, and it was essentially over before halftime. I've watched preseason games between my two least favorite NFC teams because I found it interesting. I've watched pretty meaningless early season NFL games as opposed to World Series games because I enjoyed them more (O.K., maybe I channel surfed during timeouts). I guess what I'm saying here is that I really, really love watching NFL football games, yet I usually don't give the Pro Bowl a thought until I hear the final score, at which time, that thought is simply relief that I didn't waste any of my valuable time watching that piece of trash.

Last edited:
The only reason I've tuned into the Pro Bowl past 2 years is just out of the knowledge that it would delay the football vacuum for another week. But really, its a nothing game. It would be more fun to get the practice squads for the Superbowl teams to play against each other, with all team members downing a shot of Rum for every first down they give up. Dangerous but ultimately much more fun.

This pre-Superbowl is just stupid though...its just costing the Pro Bowl more of its best players.

The only reason I've tuned into the Pro Bowl past 2 years is just out of the knowledge that it would delay the football vacuum for another week. But really, its a nothing game. It would be more fun to get the practice squads for the Superbowl teams to play against each other, with all team members downing a shot of Rum for every first down they give up. Dangerous but ultimately much more fun.

This pre-Superbowl is just stupid though...its just costing the Pro Bowl more of its best players.
Nah... I like the poker idea better.

Miami!? horrible, it needs to be in hawaii.

BEFORE the superbowl!? just as bad of an idea.

I'm for the poker tournament... I got my popcorn ready but I aint seeing TO doing much.

[checks calendar] hmm, this isn't even April 1st yet...

Some years back I was in Hawaii the same week as the Pro Bowl...all the guys do is party.

They absolutely don't take that game seriously. It's just a free trip and I guess they get a plaque or something for their den wall.

The Pro Bowl is about as nothing a game as there is.

I think the QB's and some of the quieter players (Andre, Marvin H., etc.) would end up in the finals.

probably a bit of an economic move. they'll save money this way. plus with the Dolphins playing the conference championship in Miami next year, that's even more money being saved

The Pro Bowl doesn't need to go away. It's a long time fixture in the NFL and just like the NBA and MLB All-Star games it has a place. It's just been allowed to wither on the vine for too many years. The fix is easy (but of course the NFL will botch it and screw things up worse than they already are).

First you start moving the Pro Bowl around like you do the Super Bowl. You "award it" to cities around the country and turn it into an event weekend like the Super Bowl. You could use it as a carrot for towns that didn't win Super Bowl bids for instance. They could add all those stupid NFL "junk sports" like punting contest and passing contests and "fastest man in the NFL" to this and play them up. Maybe do a saturday game of rookies to compliment the Pro Bowl. Do kind of a future stars thing and ESPN will show that thing in a heartbeat. Do a big convention/autograph weekend thing.

Second you take the fan voting out of the equation completely. Fans have no business voting for the Pro Bowl online where we can play homer, stuff the ballot box, or just get stupid and decided to try and sway the vote so that a bunch of undeserving players get voted in. Give the players, coaches, and GM's the power and then let the coaches of the actual squads add a few players to correct imbalances and oversights.

Then you give the players something to play for. Obviously a trip to Hawaii and some extra pay doesn't get todays star football player motivated enough for the most part. They need to up the amount of money they pay them to participate. Teams should focus more on the Pro Bowl as a contract incentive and require participation to earn it (barring injury of course). Players who refuse to participate in the Pro Bowl because they have better things to do should be made ineligible for it the following year and not be credited with having been "voted to the Pro Bowl" if they choose not to go. Mostly I think if you can make the game and the honor mean something then you'll have more participation. This goes back to not voting in guys who don't deserve it and making sure players who earn it get the nod.

They could be using it as a showcase but instead they've let it just turn into a joke. Sometimes I don't understand what these guys are thinking. It's like all the money is killing their brain cells at times.

I completely agree they should take away fan voting. Keep it to the coaches and players. Or if you want to keep the fans involved make our vote worth 10%, players 45% and coaches 45%.

First you start moving the Pro Bowl around like you do the Super Bowl. You "award it" to cities around the country and turn it into an event weekend like the Super Bowl.

Brilliant--award it to the 2nd place team on the SB bid each year or some other criteria.

Second you take the fan voting out of the equation completely.

Absofreakinlutely.

Then you give the players something to play for. Obviously a trip to Hawaii and some extra pay doesn't get todays star football player motivated enough for the most part. They need to up the amount of money they pay them to participate.

I certainly wouldn't object to someone else paying more money. That said, how about making it serious to actually play?--if you get selected but don't play you don't get to keep the award or have any ramifications such as Haynesworth can't be franchised because he is a pro-bowler--don't play, wait for the tag again fat boy. Bet kitty tears boy doesn't make the pro-bowl as a rookie if folks had some incentive.

PS--I want another meaningless game brought back and it has been gone so long I have a hard time remembering it but I think it was the Super Bowl loser against the college champion team.

PS--I want another meaningless game brought back and it has been gone so long I have a hard time remembering it but I think it was the Super Bowl loser against the college champion team.

Really? I don't think that'd be very fair at all. Picture last years New England Patriots vs. the LSU Tigers. It'd become a meaningless game where the Pats don't play cuz they don't want to get injured or win 77-0.

I think a more fair game would be the last place team (#1 pick) against the BCS champion or something. Miami Dolphins vs. LSU Tigers. Ouch nevermind, let's do this years'. Detroit Lions vs. Florida Gators. I still think the Lions would win but that would actually be a good game!

Really? I don't think that'd be very fair at all. Picture last years New England Patriots vs. the LSU Tigers. It'd become a meaningless game where the Pats don't play cuz they don't want to get injured or win 77-0.

I think a more fair game would be the last place team (#1 pick) against the BCS champion or something. Miami Dolphins vs. LSU Tigers. Ouch nevermind, let's do this years'. Detroit Lions vs. Florida Gators. I still think the Lions would win but that would actually be a good game!

The college guys actually won some games, but fine tweak it some. One thing was they played according to college rules. I just like the idea of a college on pro game.

I don't know, I don't watch the pro-bowl anyway.. I'd rather see the NFC championship game losers versus the AFC championship losers and settle for 3-4 place

Brilliant--award it to the 2nd place team on the SB bid each year or some other criteria.

Absofreakinlutely.

I certainly wouldn't object to someone else paying more money. That said, how about making it serious to actually play?--if you get selected but don't play you don't get to keep the award or have any ramifications such as Haynesworth can't be franchised because he is a pro-bowler--don't play, wait for the tag again fat boy. Bet kitty tears boy doesn't make the pro-bowl as a rookie if folks had some incentive.

It was the NFL Champion against the College all-stars. That would translate today as The Super Bowl Champion against an all-star team made up of the best players in College football. As I recall, The college all-stars actually won a few games. The fans also got to see how many of the Best and Brightest from College would do against a pro team. It was enjoyable over all and I used to look forward to the game every year. I believe it was played during what is now the pre-season...the pre-season games may be the reason this game was done away with.

I completely agree they should take away fan voting. Keep it to the coaches and players. Or if you want to keep the fans involved make our vote worth 10%, players 45% and coaches 45%.
the problem is that the players and coaches aren't too good at voting, either. this is a common misnomer that they pick the absolute best players and the fans are ruining everything. players have all kinds of biases, and it shows

I might save my money and go to a game in Hawaii, but, I will not go to one in Florida. The only way I will go to ANY football game in Florida is if the TEXANS are forced to play in the SB there, maybe a playoff game. I resent the NFL for thinking Miami is the only friggin city in the USA worthy of repetitous SBs, and now they're moving the Pro Bowl there. Not that I care about the Pro Bowl all that much, just fun to see the guys with flowers around their necks!:)

I would truly like to know what kind of hold Miami has over the NFL. Mafia? Just guessing!:headhurts:

I might save my money and go to a game in Hawaii, but, I will not go to one in Florida. The only way I will go to ANY football game in Florida is if the TEXANS are forced to play in the SB there, maybe a playoff game. I resent the NFL for thinking Miami is the only friggin city in the USA worthy of repetitous SBs, and now they're moving the Pro Bowl there. Not that I care about the Pro Bowl all that much, just fun to see the guys with flowers around their necks!:)

I would truly like to know what kind of hold Miami has over the NFL. Mafia? Just guessing!:headhurts:

the Pro Bowl would be there because the Super Bowl is there, and i imagien they'll move the Pro Bowl to whatever city teh Super Bowl is being played in

besides Miami is perfect weather right about now

the problem is that the players and coaches aren't too good at voting, either. this is a common misnomer that they pick the absolute best players and the fans are ruining everything. players have all kinds of biases, and it shows

So you are saying the fans are less biased? I agree there are biased opinions amoung players, or course there is, but the fans have the means to stuff ballot boxes that a players and coaches vote wouldn't. Even without the ballot box stuffing fans would just blindly vote for their guy and I don't believe the players and coaches would be as extreme in that regard.

Fans voting < Coaches voting. Just my opinion.

there was a pretty in-depth article about it written about a former player a few weeks ago. the only way you're going to get the best pro bowl players is to have the media or some committee do it, but it's really not that important anyway, so it'll be left up to the current folks voting now

The Pro Bowl is a meaningless, boring game. As evidenced here, nobody cares about it. Scrap it, IMO. Give out the honors, but the game does not need to be played.

The Pro Bowl is a meaningless, boring game. As evidenced here, nobody cares about it. Scrap it, IMO. Give out the honors, but the game does not need to be played.

I'm glad they are moving it to actual NFL cities but I don't like the week before the SB idea. That means Reliant could host the Pro Bowl one day and that would be a good thing.

Wow, I am sadden by this news...this means that Pro Bowl will be like NBA All Star..( not a good look). I like going to Hawaii for Pro Bowl because it is more expensive and the crowd is more likely better than an event where "anyone" can show up to...

Oh well, I hope that this Pro Bowl 2009, will be even more special. After 2009, I doubt if I will go to Pro Bowl if it is in Miami...No incentive for the fans.

39 Days until I am in Hawaii...

Oh well, I hope that this Pro Bowl 2009, will be even more special. After 2009, I doubt if I will go to Pro Bowl if it is in Miami...No incentive for the fans.
it'll be wherever the Super Bowl is

i know everyone will be excited when the Pro Bowl is played in Kansas City and Indianapolis!

Pro Bowl in Arlington, Texas, is no cinch

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990130006

TAMPA, Fla. — Arlington, Texas, might get the 2011 Pro Bowl. Then again, it might not.
The NFL hasn't decided on the Pro Bowl beyond the 2010 game, which will be played in Miami, and the league is in no hurry to make a decision for 2011.

Roger Staubach, the North Texas Super Bowl XLV Host Committee chairman, seems less certain than Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck about the all-star game being played at the Cowboys' new stadium the week before it hosts the 2011 Super Bowl.

Cluck said last month that he was 80 to 90 percent sure the Pro Bowl would be played in Arlington, though he admitted he had not talked to NFL officials.

The college guys actually won some games, but fine tweak it some. One thing was they played according to college rules. I just like the idea of a college on pro game.

I don't think that would be fair at all. Pro players are so much more physically developed than almost all college players. As bad as the Detroit Lions were this season, they would kick USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, or any other football team's butt in a game.

Agree. Do away with the game itself, but still name the Pro-Bowlers. Honor them at the Super Bowl before it starts. Or have a Saturday night awards type dinner honoring them or whatever.

The game is a joke anyway.

I gotta agree with you on this one. Injury wise heading into the Superbowl this makes no sense as both superbowl rosters will have some pro bowl players. Also MIAMI? WTF. The probowl isn't a real game anyway. It's the NFL sending you to vacation in Hawaii for a week and because you get on the field and play a game they get to write the whole thing off. Keep it a week after the Superbowl and keep it in Hawaii. Miami...indeed.

The Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl in 2010 and both games will be staged in Dolphin Stadium, a person directly involved in the decision told the Associated Press on Monday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the NFL has not announced the move. It's not a new notion to have the game moved up to take place between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl.

Source: cbssportsline.com

Well, now what dance is Mario gonna do? :foottap:

How about the skills competition instead of the Pro Bowl? I always preferred that to the PB, but I never seem to catch it if they still do it. Give out the honors and awards of course, but the game is kinda lame.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to the Pro Bowl if it was in Arlington. Arlington is one boring ass suburb (that I'm forced to live in).

K...I gotta say it young brotha. The bulk of your avitars have been EVERY beautiful black woman who's ever turned me down for a date, but your current one has blonde hair and blue eyes. I have no issue with it, but should we take it your taste in women has expanded? :cool: If it has ...word of advice. Don't date a Russian/Eastern European woman unless you're in damn good shape they're very hearty and it's not easy to keep up with them.

Back