Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2008   #81
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So, is Schaub the real deal yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
This is awesome and funny to me. A riddle that solves itself!
roffles.

i loves me some norg.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #82
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
iam not comparing him to carr iam just saying how long is it going to take till we go to the playoffs with Matt under the helm ??????
I've already seen more from him than Carr ever showed thus you would hope next year.
Old 12-30-2008   #83
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
This is the killer for me...he's THIS CLOSE to being THE GUY. Turnovers are the key. If he can cut them down, he could be, dare I say, an elite QB in this league. Well, our RZ playcalling needs to improve so we put up some scores, but I really do feel he could get there.

His long ball strength is a bit worrying because I'm not sure if it's his arm or his accuracy. I thought he was a decent long ball guy last year, so I'm a bit puzzled. Perhaps my perception is just a bit off.
Matt's turnovers and arm strength are my biggest concerns.

Turnovers can be fixed - or at least reduced - by being smarter with the ball. I have faith that Matt and Kubes will work on the decision making thing and get that under control.

Arm strength cannot be taught. I don't know if he doesn't have it or misjudges how fast/far his WRs are down field or just tends to put too much air under long throws. But I have noticed that if its a 35/40 yd throw or longer, our guys end up having to slow down and wait for the ball. The long throw to AJ against the Bears was a classic example. AJ had to almost stop and wait for the ball. Don't know how one fixes that.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #84
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well when we got him, and I saw the two twos floating off to Atlanta, I posted he looked like Chris Chandler to me. I don't think we've made back the investment we spent on him yet. If he's clean he produces. The year he makes sixteen games as a starter, that will be his first. I believe he's good enough to get us to fourteen wins next year. If they lose a couple of o-line guys....we'll struggle in again at 8-8.
Old 12-30-2008   #85
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I consider him a lot like Tracy McGrady: If he can just stay on the field, he will produce. However, health always seems to be the problem.

I like Schaub though and never hopped on the Rosen-copter bandwagon. I have always said that there is a reason that Sage is a backup. And I still stick by that.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #86
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I believe he's good enough to get us to fourteen wins next year.
Wow! And I thought I was optimistic.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #87
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What iam saying is Schaub has not proven himself 2 me

what if we got 7-9 next year then what ..........
what if Schaub throws for 5,000 yds, 30 TDs, only 5 INTs and we still go 7-9? do YOU still blame Schaub?

Or what if Schaub throws for 2,500 yds, 15 TDs, and 15 INTs but we make it to the AFC championship game?

what if a frog had wings.....?
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2008   #88
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Then The talks of Schaub's head will go on all season

Iam pretty sure Dallas is getting pretty tired of romo

why should we be any different

how long will we give Matt 5 years like we gave carr

lets say is 2011 and matt & the texans still have not seen playoffs then what

hes on year 3 times a ticking
Did I read that correctly??

Implying that we should follow ANY example set by the Cowpatties should be grounds for banishment!
Old 12-30-2008   #89
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well when we got him, and I saw the two twos floating off to Atlanta, I posted he looked like Chris Chandler to me. I don't think we've made back the investment we spent on him yet. If he's clean he produces. The year he makes sixteen games as a starter, that will be his first. I believe he's good enough to get us to fourteen wins next year. If they lose a couple of o-line guys....we'll struggle in again at 8-8.
He's good enough to put up enough points for that; i.e., 24-27 pts/game. Don't know if our defense will improve enough to keep the other guys under 30. That's what happened to us early this year - the D couldn't hold anyone under 30 pts. If the D starts holding the other guys under 21 pts/game and we repeat the offensive output of this year, we can win 11-13 games.
Old 12-30-2008   #90
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
4th best passer rating in the AFC. YPA of 8.0. 66.1% completion. sounds good to me. he's not perfect, but QB's don't fall out of the sky and there's probably 20 teams that would love to have a guy like Schaub starting.
Well, a pretty darned good one sure fell out of the sky for you guys.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #91
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Matt's turnovers and arm strength are my biggest concerns.

Turnovers can be fixed - or at least reduced - by being smarter with the ball. I have faith that Matt and Kubes will work on the decision making thing and get that under control.

Arm strength cannot be taught. I don't know if he doesn't have it or misjudges how fast/far his WRs are down field or just tends to put too much air under long throws. But I have noticed that if its a 35/40 yd throw or longer, our guys end up having to slow down and wait for the ball. The long throw to AJ against the Bears was a classic example. AJ had to almost stop and wait for the ball. Don't know how one fixes that.
Thanks for clearing that up on arm strength. I don't know what I was watching last year, but I thought he had some good throws to the other Andre (Davis) who is a burner...and who, btw, I think really disappeared this year. Was he #4 behind DA?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #92
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Thanks for clearing that up on arm strength. I don't know what I was watching last year, but I thought he had some good throws to the other Andre (Davis) who is a burner...and who, btw, I think really disappeared this year. Was he #4 behind DA?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It looked like AD came into the game as the #2 when AJ needed a blow or whenever they wanted AJ in the slot. It seemed like we wasted a good talent by not using his speed as a second downfield threat more often.

I'm sorry but there's no way David (too short) Anderson should hit the field before Andre Davis.

And about my lack of arm strength theory, that's all it is... ...even worse, its an opinion - you know what they say about those.
Old 12-31-2008   #93
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It looked like AD came into the game as the #2 when AJ needed a blow or whenever they wanted AJ in the slot. It seemed like we wasted a good talent by not using his speed as a second downfield threat more often.

I'm sorry but there's no way David (too short) Anderson should hit the field before Andre Davis.
Davis is not a slot receiver, but that is the role we tried to have him play this year. Davis is a pure burner who functions best as a #1 or #2 wideout; indeed, his big numbers last year came when AJ was out and he became our #1. Of course, he is not in AJ's league, but his ability to make plays downfield makes him a decent #1 option--as a backup for AJ, we could do much, much, much worse.

This year, with AJ healthy and Walter firmly entrenched opposite him, the slots are the only openings for the other wideouts. Davis is simply not well-suited for the slot: that spot rewards the shifty more than the speedy. Anderson is the closest thing we have to a pure slot, and he's nobody's ideal for the position. The best slot receiver in Houston just wrapped up his career for Rice a couple hours ago.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read