Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2008   #61
IMA TEXAN
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 IMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: So, is Schaub the real deal yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
12 playoff victories and 5 Super Bowls on John Elway QB'd teams. Please give me an estimate of what year it will be when the Texans have done this.
Good grief. So the only reason the Texans haven't done this is because Schaub's arm isn't strong enough. It's even his fault for the years he wasn't here.

I'll say if the Texans have Schaub at QB, a 2000 yard rusher every year, and a one of the top 3 defenses in the league every year - approximately 2015. Only that will include more than 2 Super Bowl wins.

You forgot to mention that Michael Jordan sucks because Bill Russell won 11 championships in 13 years.
IMA TEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #62
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMA TEXAN View Post
While I agree that Elway was great, he didn't win a SuperBowl until Terrell Davis gave him an "elite" running game his last two years.
and Manning didn't win a Super Bowl till his defense stepped up. that's the way it works. no QB wins it all on their own. but what Elway did without a running game is nothing short of remarkable.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait, hold it, stop the presses. Have we actually made it through 10 posts in which the words Elway, Manning and Schaub have appeared in the same post and some clown hasn't come along and said Schaub is no Elway? Holy crap!

OK carry on.

Oops, back on topic. Of course having a stronger arm is always nice, as are better judgment, better speed, better pocket presence, better accuracy, etc. I think Schaub's combination is good enough to be very good and possibly run a number of years as top 5 in many categories. That is good enough for the Texans to succeed as a team.
Old 12-29-2008   #64
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I'm sorry, but your posts always confuse me.

What iam saying is Schaub has not proven himself 2 me

what if we got 7-9 next year then what ..........
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #65
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
What iam saying is Schaub is not proven himself 2 me

I believe you make a great point here. What if we got 5-11, then what?
Old 12-29-2008   #66
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What iam saying is Schaub has not proven himself 2 me

Then we take a look at the WHOLE package and not just Schaub. Last I checked, we have to field a defense for about 1/2 the time on the field. A QB alone cannot make this team amazing.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #67
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I believe you make a great point here. What if we got 5-11, then what?
Then The talks of Schaub's head will go on all season

Iam pretty sure Dallas is getting pretty tired of romo

why should we be any different

how long will we give Matt 5 years like we gave carr

lets say is 2011 and matt & the texans still have not seen playoffs then what

hes on year 3 times a ticking
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2008   #68
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's is second year for us and his is 100x better than Carr! Matt has proven himself. He just needs to work on those fumbles. His interceptions have been cut down since our running game has improved.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #69
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 148234 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hmmmm...difference is that Carr sucks and Schaub doesn't. He doesn't operate in a vacuum - there are folks around him that sink or swim on their own. We can have a great offense, but if our defense gives up the booty, that's NOT on the offense or the QB.

And comparing us to Dallas is not apt since that team is severely dysfunctional in ways we could only hope to be after a weekend meth and hooker binge.

Your thought process both bewilders and amuses me, though.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #70
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His interceptions have been cut down since our running game has improved.
His INT's have gone down since facing two division winners with a combined record of 25 and 7 with 95 sacks and 40 INT's.
Old 12-29-2008   #71
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
lol Pennington has been one of the best quarterbacks in the league this year, anyone who's watched any handful of Dolphins games would see that. unless you've already formed your opinion about him beforehand, of course.
Pennington has been one of the best in the league for the past decade.... when healthy.

But lets be real, despite the QB rating (which overly rewards accuracy and underrates throwing downfield) the Miami offense was only 21st in points scored. I'm not dropping an 'elite' label on a QB that leads an offense that poor.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #72
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'd put Schaub in the Hasselbeck, Delhomme class of QB...some limitations but a good enough arm to go with a mind quick enough to make important decisions on the fly. These guys can lead teams to the big game and thats all you need out of your QB since the "elite" guy is fairly rare.
I agree 100%.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #73
Norg
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's is second year for us and his is 100x better than Carr! Matt has proven himself. He just needs to work on those fumbles. His interceptions have been cut down since our running game has improved.
iam not comparing him to carr iam just saying how long is it going to take till we go to the playoffs with Matt under the helm ??????
Old 12-29-2008   #74
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

We have much bigger holes on this team than QB. I think we can win with Schaub and getting a better defense and better at executing in the red zone will help us realize this goal. Its good to finally see noone calling for Rosencopter to be the starting QB at least.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #75
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
iam not comparing him to carr iam just saying how long is it going to take till we go to the playoffs with Matt under the helm ??????
I say next season. With any amount of luck in the post season decision making regarding coaching, draft choices and FA moves, he will. He'll have to have a VY-esque meltdown not to. I don't see that happening.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #76
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

This offense is rated what? 3rd? Of course he's set in H-Town for at LEAST the next 2 years. Why are we talking about when this guy will be fired? I know as Texans fans we're usually forced to play the cynical card to keep being hurt when our optimism gets thrown into our faces but this team just won 4 of their last 5 games. This offense needs one thing in my opinion for next year and that's a change of pace back to compliment Slaton. That's it. Don't even LOOK at the rest of the offense. Put the effort into the D.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #77
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Hmmmm...difference is that Carr sucks and Schaub doesn't. He doesn't operate in a vacuum - there are folks around him that sink or swim on their own. We can have a great offense, but if our defense gives up the booty, that's NOT on the offense or the QB.

And comparing us to Dallas is not apt since that team is severely dysfunctional in ways we could only hope to be after a weekend meth and hooker binge.

Your thought process both bewilders and amuses me, though.
Texan's offense does its fair share of giving up the booty in turnovers. Hell I think the Texan's lost 3 games this year based off turnovers alone
Old 12-30-2008   #78
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
This offense is rated what? 3rd? Of course he's set in H-Town for at LEAST the next 2 years. Why are we talking about when this guy will be fired? I know as Texans fans we're usually forced to play the cynical card to keep being hurt when our optimism gets thrown into our faces but this team just won 4 of their last 5 games. This offense needs one thing in my opinion for next year and that's a change of pace back to compliment Slaton. That's it. Don't even LOOK at the rest of the offense. Put the effort into the D.
Hell to the mother ****ing yeah.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #79
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is awesome and funny to me. A riddle that solves itself!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #80
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I'm gonna go with 5. Final answer.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read