Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2008   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So, is Schaub the real deal yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
His arm strength could be better, obviously. How many times did we see AJ waiting for the ball to get to him?
I'm not a Schaub fan. He is however the closest thing we've had to the answer, so far.
But to make up for that lack of armstrength, he needs to recognize that AJ will be open earlier in his route, so that he can get the ball ahead of him. If he gets his timing down with AJ, and learns to read defenses better, in my mind, then he'll be bonafide.
Quote:
That's not a deal breaker for me though, he makes up for it with his ability to spread the ball around.
I'm not seeing this at all. If AJ weren't in the game, we lose. Schaub wins, when AJ gets the ball. A lot. don't get me wrong, that's what AJ is for, but the Raider game showed me, if Schaub can't get the ball to AJ, we're done.
Quote:
As far as his turnovers go, it seemed like that slowed down once we found a running game. You're going to throw more interceptions and get more forced fumbles on sacks if you're forced to pass the ball alot, it's just the law of averages.
Turn Overs by a QB, are about holding the ball too long, mis-reading the defense, or not handling pressure very well.

Sage held the ball too long, that's why he kept getting stripped.

Matt is learning to cope with pressure, that's why he get's so many intentional grounding penalties. As soon as he learns to throw that into the stands, or closer to a reciever with no chance of being picked, he'll be okay.

I don't see Matt being in that elite group. I'm not saying that is necessary, especially with what Kubiak is trying to do. This is a system, that David Carr & Sage Rosenfels look pretty dang good in.

And as far as the screaming leader thing goes..... it's cool to see every now and again, but it would be just as nice to see your leader tell the guy who just messed up, "don't worry about that, I got you covered" the way you see Peyton, Farve, and Brady do.
Old 12-29-2008   #22
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
He has a stronger arm than Pennington, so there goes that argument.
You think Pennington is elite?
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #23
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Schaub and to some extent Sage have both done a pretty darn good job in helping turn things around for our offense. You have to remember where we came from. We were utterly pathetic and completely inept for 5 years outside of the occassional screen pass to DD or AJ turning 5 yards into 50. Now we have balance, leadership, and we are light years ahead of where we were. I credit Kubes with a lot of that obviously, but I think the QBs have had a lot to do with that as well.

I did read on this thread about someone mentioning Schaub's propensity to get intentional grounding called against him but I think most of those have been Duane Brown getting totally owned and at least he is attempting to avoid the sack. He needs to watch how Peyton does it. No one avoids an inavoidable sack like Peyton. Hopefully they can coach him up on that because it makes all the difference in the word: avoiding sacks/grounding penalties.
Old 12-29-2008   #24
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is the real deal because he's better than at least half, if not more, than the rest of the starting QBs in the NFL.

Doesn't mean he is without fault, because he most certainly is not. This tendency of his to throw the ball up for grabs before getting sacked (and getting us a illegal ground call) needs to stop. I could reel off a few more things I don't care for about him, but what's the point? There are teams in the NFL right now that would kill to have our passing game.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #25
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
You think Pennington is elite?
This season, yes.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #26
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Schaub the real deal? I guess that will be the $10M question next year. I'd be more comfortable if he played 14-16 games next season. Yes I know he got injured by cheap shots this year.
Old 12-29-2008   #27
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 3571 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not seeing this at all. If AJ weren't in the game, we lose. Schaub wins, when AJ gets the ball. A lot. don't get me wrong, that's what AJ is for, but the Raider game showed me, if Schaub can't get the ball to AJ, we're done.
Really? It seems to me he gets the ball to OD, Walter, Davis and even Anderson pretty consistantly. No doubt AJ is his favorite target, but he'd be any QB's favorite target like you said. He threw for 255 yards in that game, only 19 to AJ. What that game showed me is if our defense allows itself to be pushed all over the field and we can't get a run game going (especially in the RZ) we lose every time.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2008   #28
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 4112 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This season, yes.
That doesn't help for personnel decisions in the off season.

Regardless, I'd like to see the argument that labels Pennington as elite.
Old 12-29-2008   #29
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So, is Schaub the real deal yet?
I think so. I expect to see his turnovers go down next season. He's shown me he has the potential to be a great QB for this team.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #30
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I count 19 QBs that had higher cap hits for their respective teams (Steve McNair was still floating on the Ravens) than Schaub. This year he was the real deal when healthy. Next year he is a $10m hit on our cap and better stay healthy for our sake and Kubiak's.
Old 12-29-2008   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Really? It seems to me he gets the ball to OD, Walter, Davis and even Anderson pretty consistantly. No doubt AJ is his favorite target, but he'd be any QB's favorite target like you said. He threw for 255 yards in that game, only 19 to AJ. What that game showed me is if our defense allows itself to be pushed all over the field and we can't get a run game going (especially in the RZ) we lose every time.
Fair enough.
Old 12-29-2008   #32
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That doesn't help for personnel decisions in the off season.

Regardless, I'd like to see the argument that labels Pennington as elite.
He played better than at least 25 QBs and led his team to the confrence crown. That's elite, ain't it?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #33
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
He played better than at least 25 QBs and led his team to the confrence crown. That's elite, ain't it?
The conference crown? You mean division?

No, winning your division doesn't make you elite any more than winning a Super Bowl makes Dilfer elite.

If there is any such thing as an 'elite single season quarterback' it would require being considered for MVP.

It would not be a guy that was 9th in yards and 12th in TDs.
Old 12-29-2008   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
If there is any such thing as an 'elite single season quarterback' it would require being considered for MVP.
He is being discussed by the national media for MVP.
Old 12-29-2008   #35
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is the guy for now but I think that we need to draft another good QB to compete with him and to push him and it never hurt to have enough good QB's on the team in case one goes down.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #36
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He is being discussed by the national media for MVP.
It wouldn't be the dumbest thing the national media has ever done, but it would be close.
Old 12-29-2008   #37
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope intill he takes us to the playoffs on a constent basis he will not be the guy for us IMO
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #38
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Nope intill he takes us to the playoffs on a constent basis he will not be the guy for us IMO
Wha...Huh?
Old 12-29-2008   #39
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

And as far as the screaming leader thing goes..... it's cool to see every now and again, but it would be just as nice to see your leader tell the guy who just messed up, "don't worry about that, I got you covered" the way you see Peyton, Farve, and Brady do.
I completely understand what you're saying...but anytime the Colts are having a bad game, it's a safe bet Peyton will be over there yelling at his offensive line. It happens every time they play bad.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #40
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub can get better protection next year to avoid some of the pounding, continuing development of the run game and hopefully bringing in a bruiser to compliment Slaton, and the continuance of the passing game with AJ, KW, and OD, Schaub will be great next year. Dare I say probowl caliber. He's got all the tools to be a great QB, I think we keep his uniform a little cleaner next year he'll prove it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read