Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2008   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default In Retrospect maybe we should look forward

I get all bent out of shape over football. When we win Sunday is a good day. When we lose, don't get in my path for an hour or two. Today I got some perspective in the hospital. I'm sitting here answering a milion questions, with my son who has spent the last two days in the hospital. Really what I write after this first paragraph pales in comparison to the importance I earned today. I've never had concern for my childs health. That doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Just that I've been blessed and he's never been to the doctor twice for the same issue. Before you read this, call your parents... hug your kids and realize that football is an escape. Life doesn't get in the way of football, it is just something to forget about real life for a while. And yes my son is going to be fine. He just had a sinus infection. An adnoid became abscessed and so he's been getting antibiotics. But... I have written about perspective and perhaps I was wrong. Oh and is his favorite smiley.

Back to football.
Well 8-8 is upon us. Again. It beats the hell out of 7-9, we've been there too. Is there anyone who would prefer 6-10? Do I have any votes for 4-12... Oh wait.. you're waiting for 2-14.... Maybe we all just want a little more. In looking back I said this was a team that would start the season as a 5 or 6 win team and mature into a 10 win team. But that we'd wind up at 9-7 at best. Well close counts here and I'll take this one. It didn't happen the way I drew it up, you know Ike etc. I didn't think we'd beat GB and Lose to Oakland. But we grew up some. We grew up a lot. By the way, if I'm forced to pick right now, if they started the 2008-2009 season today we're closer to a 11 win team than we are a 7 win team.

This team underachieved, there's no doubt. I know they stamped something on their asses last TC, and I think they should stamp something on their foreheads this offseason. I'm all for "consistency". Consistency in the redzone, consistency on the offense, consistency on defense everywhere. This was a season full of streaks, and while overall it was a fun ride... I'm ready for smooth sailing into the playoffs.

Take your time though. Enjoy this. The transformation might be as important as the destination. Anyone who can remember the Patriots becoming good? What about Indy? Who remembers the process. I know you can probably recite the standard draft well, coach well, don't spend money in free agency. I know that. But who remembers the specifics of Indy, Pitt or NE? I know we want a "playoffs now" situation. Believe me, I want to be able to turn the TV on in week 18 or 19 and see our guys out there. But if I can't, I want to see progress.

We finished the season 8-4. That has to be our best 12 game stretch in team history. We knocked a playoff team out of the playoffs. We humbled the team with the best record, at the time, in the NFL.

Its time to take that next step though. Kubes and co, whoever that is... need to go into the off season and figure out what it is that they don't do well in the first half of the season. We're 8-16 in the first half of the season under Kubes. In the second half, we're 14-11. In the last two years, we're 10-6 in the last half of the season. I know I think being young and finding leaders is part of hit. I've actually said both of the last two years that we needed to mature. But I'm putting Kubes on notice. Well maybe that's a bit strong. I'd like to see us start fast this year. The leadership argument? Done. I don't want to hear it. We've got our leaders.

This is the off season. Barring catastrophic (cross your fingers) injury, this is the season we've all waited for. Go out make some tweeks. We don't have to overhaul anything. We need a DT, interior OL a S and a CB and that's about it. Other than that, we're looking to add depth.

Next year, its playoffs or bust. There are no excuses. I know some are calling for Smith's head. Honestly, Kubes. You choose. Cause its your career. If we don't make the playoffs next year, you're probably gone with whoever is the DC.

Coming into today's game. I wanted to see how we would respond. I said we couldn't come out and lay down. I thought we were going to. I thought, oh no, this team is in trouble. They had a little pride though and put the bears to rest. Thank you. The future looks bright. And this post is becoming rambling. I'll try to write something organized this week.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In Retrospect maybe we should look forward

i think if we dont make the playoffs next year Kubes will still stay

i got that huntch that win or lose Kubes will be here for a LONG time
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #3
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I get all bent out of shape over football. When we win Sunday is a good day. When we lose, don't get in my path for an hour or two. Today I got some perspective in the hospital. I'm sitting here answering a milion questions, with my son who has spent the last two days in the hospital. Really what I write after this first paragraph pales in comparison to the importance I earned today. I've never had concern for my childs health. That doesn't mean I'm not concerned. Just that I've been blessed and he's never been to the doctor twice for the same issue. Before you read this, call your parents... hug your kids and realize that football is an escape. Life doesn't get in the way of football, it is just something to forget about real life for a while. And yes my son is going to be fine. He just had a sinus infection. An adnoid became abscessed and so he's been getting antibiotics. But... I have written about perspective and perhaps I was wrong. Oh and is his favorite smiley.

Back to football.
Well 8-8 is upon us. Again. It beats the hell out of 7-9, we've been there too. Is there anyone who would prefer 6-10? Do I have any votes for 4-12... Oh wait.. you're waiting for 2-14.... Maybe we all just want a little more. In looking back I said this was a team that would start the season as a 5 or 6 win team and mature into a 10 win team. But that we'd wind up at 9-7 at best. Well close counts here and I'll take this one. It didn't happen the way I drew it up, you know Ike etc. I didn't think we'd beat GB and Lose to Oakland. But we grew up some. We grew up a lot. By the way, if I'm forced to pick right now, if they started the 2008-2009 season today we're closer to a 11 win team than we are a 7 win team.

This team underachieved, there's no doubt. I know they stamped something on their asses last TC, and I think they should stamp something on their foreheads this offseason. I'm all for "consistency". Consistency in the redzone, consistency on the offense, consistency on defense everywhere. This was a season full of streaks, and while overall it was a fun ride... I'm ready for smooth sailing into the playoffs.

Take your time though. Enjoy this. The transformation might be as important as the destination. Anyone who can remember the Patriots becoming good? What about Indy? Who remembers the process. I know you can probably recite the standard draft well, coach well, don't spend money in free agency. I know that. But who remembers the specifics of Indy, Pitt or NE? I know we want a "playoffs now" situation. Believe me, I want to be able to turn the TV on in week 18 or 19 and see our guys out there. But if I can't, I want to see progress.

We finished the season 8-4. That has to be our best 12 game stretch in team history. We knocked a playoff team out of the playoffs. We humbled the team with the best record, at the time, in the NFL.

Its time to take that next step though. Kubes and co, whoever that is... need to go into the off season and figure out what it is that they don't do well in the first half of the season. We're 8-16 in the first half of the season under Kubes. In the second half, we're 14-11. In the last two years, we're 10-6 in the last half of the season. I know I think being young and finding leaders is part of hit. I've actually said both of the last two years that we needed to mature. But I'm putting Kubes on notice. Well maybe that's a bit strong. I'd like to see us start fast this year. The leadership argument? Done. I don't want to hear it. We've got our leaders.

This is the off season. Barring catastrophic (cross your fingers) injury, this is the season we've all waited for. Go out make some tweeks. We don't have to overhaul anything. We need a DT, interior OL a S and a CB and that's about it. Other than that, we're looking to add depth.

Next year, its playoffs or bust. There are no excuses. I know some are calling for Smith's head. Honestly, Kubes. You choose. Cause its your career. If we don't make the playoffs next year, you're probably gone with whoever is the DC.

Coming into today's game. I wanted to see how we would respond. I said we couldn't come out and lay down. I thought we were going to. I thought, oh no, this team is in trouble. They had a little pride though and put the bears to rest. Thank you. The future looks bright. And this post is becoming rambling. I'll try to write something organized this week.

Mike
Hope to see your son get better.. Good Post by the way. I always say we should have perpective, because the health of our loved ones is the most important thing..
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #4
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to get the feeling that our slow starts under Kubiak are a combination of our youth and his training camp methods. Having said that I don't think he should change a thing because I believe we have more left in the tank later in the season due to having a lighter training camp. I think that once our core players mature a bit more (hopefully next year) and don't need all that TC work we will have a more consistent season. Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass though, anyone else get this feeling?
Old 12-29-2008   #5
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff TexanMike, thanks
Old 12-29-2008   #6
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the well wishes. We're on our way home. We'll be watching him for a week but that's about it. Thank God that he didn't have to have it drained. It was heartbreaking to wake him up for blood to be drawn, but once he knew he was going home even he thought it was worth it.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #7
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree that it's playoffs or bust next year. But to make the playoffs without winning our division (which I honestly can't see us surpassing both Indy and Tenn yet, but it's certainly possible), we'll probably have to win 11/12 games next year. The Browns didn't get in at 10-6 last year, and the Patriots are looking in from outside at 11-5. I don't think Kubes would be on the outs if we win 10/11 games and are sitting on the outside. The AFC is getting tougher and tougher to get in as a wild card these days.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2008   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Back to football.

Mike
Nice post, TMike. I've been tooting the "consistency" horn for what seems like a few years now. It drives me nuts riding this roller-coaster the Texans make us ride every season. I think the pieces are coming together slowly, but surely.

It just sucks that our offseason is starting immediately after the regular season.........AGAIN!

BTW, nice to hear your son will be ok. Been there, done that and it's a heart-wrenching experience every time.
Old 12-29-2008   #9
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I would agree that this season is a bit of a disappointment, although, after the way we started, I am loving 8-8.

I am seeing a lot of posts regarding the change of the defensive coaching staff and players that we need. The truth is, if this current team just increases red zone efficiency and decreases turnovers, we should be much better...even if no other changes are made.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read