Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2008   #21
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New contracts - free agents and those with contracts running out

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Then he can sit on the bench and watch. And obviously you weren't or you wouldn't have posted this. He missed a lot of assignments with his pass blocking and blitz pick up....He can color himself lucky if they don't take a front line back on the second day or free agency and stick him back to third down back and take away touches from him. He needs to keep his mouth shut and be the first one ready to go back to work this off season.

Bob McNair has never that I know of cheated one of these guys. Slaton is a long way from the thirty million dollar contract with the ten million guaranteed.
And he has picked up a fair share of blitzes. In fact, that has been my most surprising things about Slaton. I doubt Gibbs and Kubiak hand over the keys without him passing the blocking litmus test and him yapping his mouth and I doubt it has been an issue as your post suggests.

8/17/2008
Quote:
Slaton picked up a blitz late in the third quarter, allowing quarterback Sage Rosenfels to connect with wide receiver David Anderson on a 43-yard pass.

“He’s a much better player this week than he was last week,” Kubiak said. “He was better in protections. There are still some mistakes that concern you the closer you get to the season, but it’s obvious that he can be a big help to us offensively.”

On the ground, Slaton looked more comfortable in the zone scheme, making single-cut runs and hitting holes instead of zigzagging around in the backfield like he did against Denver. He led the team with 13 carries for 57 yards rushing, and Kubiak would like to see Slaton get reps with the first unit when the team takes on Dallas.

“I think he’s earned a right to get some reps with that first group,” Kubiak said.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4519
Old 12-30-2008   #22
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't forget guys, good football teams have to rely fairly heavily on the guys they can afford to pay and coach up younger cheaper guys to fill the holes. We're going to loose some guys that we can't afford to pay to their worth. Maybe not this year but soon. I think the idea here is lock up the guys that are key guys and play the field on the others.

Guys like Deljuan or Dreesen, really important role players but not "BUILD A TEAM AROUND ME" guys can often slip through the cracks to poorer teams that will pay out to improve. However I have great, GREAT faith in Rick Smith and I wouldn't be surprised if we are able to maintain a great deal of consistency over the coming years!

Go Texans.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #23
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I say let Daunte Robinson walk and bring in a bigger faster Corner like Chris Gamble or Nnamdi A. from Oakland and I think that this will depend on who is the new Defensive Coordinator and the scheme we will run. I hope they we look at Greg Williams for Defensive Coordinator.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #24
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Should rember to read whole threads before committing on a commit from 6 hours ago.

Last edited by painekiller; 12-30-2008 at 03:28 AM.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #25
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Robinson wants a contract that will pay him what the top cornerbacks in the league receive."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6186246.html
That's what Chron reporter Megan Manfull says. But is he worth it ? I just don't see it, but I have no idea if the Texans can work a deal with him and his agent ? Especially if there's another team(s) that interested in him, is a
contender, and is in a geographic location where D-Rob would feel comfortable about a relocation.
I dunno, when's the FA date when players are free to "officially" begin communicating and negotiating with other teams ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #26
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I just had an ugly premonition regarding Pacman Jones getting canned and Jerry Jones throwing money at D-Rob.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #27
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Robinson wants a contract that will pay him what the top cornerbacks in the league receive."
That's what Chron reporter Megan Manfull says. But is he worth it ? I just don't see it, but I have no idea if the Texans can work a deal with him and his agent ? Especially if there's another team(s) that interested in him, is a
contender, and is in a geographic location where D-Rob would feel comfortable about a relocation.
I dunno, when's the FA date when players are free to "officially" begin communicating and negotiating with other teams ?
The whole article

Quote:
For the first time in his career, Dunta Robinson cleaned out his locker at Reliant Stadium and was unsure if he would return to it.

As the first time free agent loaded up the contents of his locker, he made it clear he wasn’t ready to say goodbye.

“There’s no doubt about it,” said Robinson, 26, a first-round pick in 2004. “I want to be a Texan. I was drafted here, and I want to finish my career here. It’s going to be a hard-fought battle to get what I think I deserve. We’ll see what happens.”

Robinson wants a contract that will pay him what the top cornerbacks in the league receive. But he realizes it won’t be easy because he is coming off a major injury. Even though he returned midway through this season after a full year of rehabilitation, he wasn’t able to return to full strength.

“Did I play at the level that I was playing at in 2007?” Robinson said. “Of course not. I missed a lot of time, I missed a lot of practice time and I wasn’t 100 percent. But did I show enough improvement to say, ‘OK, give this guy an offseason and he should be back to his normal self in 2009?’ Yeah, I showed that.”

The coaches have credited him for being a major reason for the improvement on defense. With Robinson back on the field, the Texans went 7-4. With him in the starting lineup, they went 5-1.

Robinson met with coach Gary Kubiak before leaving the stadium Monday, and Kubiak made it clear he wants Robinson back.

“I think the world of him as a player, and I understand the business,” Kubiak said.

In addition to a long-term deal, the Texans have the option to place a franchise tag on Robinson, which would mean he would be under contract for just one year.

“I wouldn’t be happy about it,” Robinson said. “You want something long-term.”
He has cleaned out his locker and has fired the first plead/salvo. He has nothing left to leverage. I have no doubt he will be a Texan next year unless his ego and his agent take a short cut to stupid.
Old 12-30-2008   #28
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's is not worth a contract that pays him that much.

I had more, but the above is all there really is too it. I hope he comes back, but if he's after Nate Clements money then he won't be back. And Rick Smith will have made the right descision by letting him walk.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #29
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 246310 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Daunte is our best corner, but he's not one of the best CBs in the league. However, he is a leader on our defense and inspires others around him to play better. I think we'll see him back.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #30
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would throw the franchise tag on him for one year. Not one person expected him to come back as quickly as he did. I'm sure with a full off season he will either be back to his old self or will understand that he isn't going to get the big bucks from anyone. I'm just saying, I sure would hate to see him playing like the old D-rob for Indy or Jax.
Old 12-30-2008   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Now that we're in the offseason, we need to decide about some free agents. It's also time to try to possibly lock up (or release with minimal penalty) those who only have one year left. Going off of the data on inthebullseye.com, here's how I see them.

Unrestricted Free Agents:
Brown, C.C.
Bruener, Mark
Faggins, Demarcus
Ferguson, Nick
Kalu, N.D.
Pittman, Bryan
Robinson, Dunta
White, Chris
Zgonina, Jeff
Obviously, Dunta is the big name here. He's the only one of these I would push hard to get back, but even that will depend on how much it would cost to keep him. Generally, I think that CBs are some of the most overpriced players for their production, so I expect him to command a very large pricetag.
Most of the others would be OK to bring back, but only if at near-minimum levels; they don't justify large contracts. I would prefer to see Brown and Faggins gone, though, mainly because I think they are both just good enough that they could end up taking a roster spot/starting spot from someone who is just as good (or maybe even better) now, and has better long-term potential.
Kalu, Bruener, and Zgonina are headed off to retirement land. In fact, Kalu and Bruener are already gone.

Ferguson should be brought back; at a reasonable salary of course.
If D-Rob gets an appropriate raise that's structured for the good of the overall team (see Andre Johnson's last contract) then he should definitely be brought back. I used to be in the "re-sign D-Rob at all costs camp" but not so much any more. Still like the guy but if its a choice between keeping him and having enough cap space to make a serious run at Asomugha, I'm going with Asomugha.

C.C.Brown, Faggins, and the others are welcome to try to land somewhere else if they actually think they are gonna "get paid".
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #32
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
bring in a bigger faster Corner like Chris Gamble or Nnamdi A. from Oakland
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFl&id=2784

We cannot bring in Gamble, he signed a six-year $53 million contract extension with the Panthers.

I'm all for getting Nnamdi Asomugha though. I'd even be willing to give Oakland a 1st and a 3rd for him.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFl&id=2784

We cannot bring in Gamble, he signed a six-year $53 million contract extension with the Panthers.

I'm all for getting Nnamdi Asomugha though. I'd even be willing to give Oakland a 1st and a 3rd for him.
Looks like other teams are already sniffing around for this guy...
(this was also from RotoWorld.com)

Quote:
The New Orleans Times-Picayune fully expects the Saints to show interest in Nnamdi Asomugha if he becomes available in free agency.

However, the chances of that happening are slim to none. Raiders owner Al Davis went the extra mile with Asomugha in 2008, giving him the exclusive franchise tender when no other teams used it. He'll likely do the same this year. Prying Asomugha away from Oakland would take numerous draft picks
I found this last paragraph from this New Orleans sportspage quite interesting...
Quote:
Among some of the intriguing names on the next tier of potential defensive free agents are Philadelphia safety Brian Dawkins, Chicago safety Mike Brown, St. Louis safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, Houston cornerback Dunta Robinson, Baltimore linebacker/end Terrell Suggs and Arizona linebacker Karlos Dansby.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #34
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
The whole article

He has cleaned out his locker and has fired the first plead/salvo. He has nothing left to leverage. I have no doubt he will be a Texan next year unless his ego and his agent take a short cut to stupid.

Give him a contract but with incentives. He wants want the upper echelon makes then make him work for it.
Old 12-30-2008   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as he says he wouldn't like it, I think we should tag him for a year. Sure, the tag's probably more than what he's presently worth, but it'll give the team a full season to evaluate him. I just don't think he did enough this season to justify top CB pay.

I'm giddy as hell he made it back this year and actually finished the season, but just can't see him getting paid that much jack, YET.
Old 12-30-2008   #36
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
As much as he says he wouldn't like it, I think we should tag him for a year. Sure, the tag's probably more than what he's presently worth, but it'll give the team a full season to evaluate him. I just don't think he did enough this season to justify top CB pay.
If you tag him he gets an average of the top 5 player salaries at his position - that is "top CB pay."

But, I agree. Tag him, give him a hand in selecting the new DC, and tell him if he returns to old form he will be rewarded accordingly.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
If you tag him he gets an average of the top 5 player salaries at his position - that is "top CB pay."

But, I agree. Tag him, give him a hand in selecting the new DC, and tell him if he returns to old form he will be rewarded accordingly.
I know. That's why I said it was probably more than what he's presently worth.

One year's top CB pay is better than multiple years of top CB pay. If it works out....pay the man.
Old 12-30-2008   #38
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
And he has picked up a fair share of blitzes. In fact, that has been my most surprising things about Slaton. I doubt Gibbs and Kubiak hand over the keys without him passing the blocking litmus test and him yapping his mouth and I doubt it has been an issue as your post suggests.

8/17/2008

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=4519
Com'on KT. His pass blocking and blitz recocnition has been horrible. Just because I'm not banging the kid.....posting the clock times on it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Pick any of the last three games you wish. He blocked like the rookie he is. Lost and with a lot of excuse me Matt "look out" blocks. Take the homer glasses off and watch the games. And you're backing up something with what some one else saw in preseason ? LOL.

Quote:
Ferguson should be brought back; at a reasonable salary of course.
If they take the Safety early, they'll have a choice of youth or Fergeson in the last cuts of August. I wouldn't get use to Fergeson being here next year.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-30-2008 at 10:15 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #39
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Com'on KT. His pass blocking and blitz recocnition has been horrible. Just because I'm not banging the kid.....posting the clock times on it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Pick any of the last three games you wish. He blocked like the rookie he is. Lost and with a lot of excuse me Matt "look out" blocks. Take the homer glasses off and watch the games. And you're backing up something with what some one else saw in preseason ? LOL.
Kubiak does a pretty good job of summing my thoughts up, and obviously very far from yours, since his actions are not consistent with your dramatic observation over the course of the year.

Quote:
(on RB Steve Slaton) “I was disappointed with Steve early in the game. He had way too many mistakes early in the game, and that’s not like him. Protections, routes, he just wasn’t ready to go from that standpoint. But the other kid (RB Ryan Moats) came in and played well and got Steve’s attention, and then Steve played huge the last quarter of the football game. He’s learned a lot. He started 15 football games. For a rookie, that’s a lot of football games to start and he’s grown up and should only get better. Today, he did some great things, but hopefully he learned from this start, too.”
Old 12-30-2008   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First off--public service announcement--it is DUNTA, not Daunte or any other variation.

From listening to Dunta his morning on 610 am I think Megan is full of it. By his own words he is at 90% right now and played this year knowing he had to get on the field to get a new contract at all, not a top dollar one. There wasn't a peep of attitude of getting Nate Clements money or anything similar. I expect something north of Jacques Reeves but nothing bank breaking.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read