Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2008   #121
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Look, I'm no football genius, but even your most random, run-of-the-mill fantasy football player can tell you that Chris Brown is a walking injury. I think taking a risk on one of our backups or practice squad guys would have been more acceptable than bringing in Brown.
And they can also tell you that he's a productive runner when he plays. I know, he helped me dominate my league a few years back. Moreover, many of us fantasy players are familiar enough with Ryan Moats that we don't refer to him as "that Moats guy." Anyone who had Westbrook (and even those who didn't) a few years back knew his name.

Quote:
And don't even get me started on Reeves. I honestly don't know how you make it as a CB in this league without turning your damn head to find the ball. All I can say is he seems to be the luckiest son of a ***** because he happens on breaking up passes by some miracle, because lord knows, it's not because he knows where the ball is. I'm sure he probably finds $20 bills lying on the ground all the time and is hit on by beautiful twins with big boobs everywhere he goes.
Reeves is solid. One day you pinata punchers will understand that you're bashing the guy because he doesn't possess that final element (ball-hawking skills) that would make him an elite CB talent. The guy has the speed and quickness to be a solid player if the defensive line gets consistent pressure.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #122
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
My point is that giving Kubiak credit for everything that turns out well and excusing everything that turns out bad as "out of his control" is not an evaluation at all. It is more like a product advertisement.
I will take two. Do they come in Battle Red?
Old 12-29-2008   #123
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I will take two. Do they come in Battle Red?
I'm sorry sir. We are out of the red pajama bottoms. Would you like just the top?
Old 12-29-2008   #124
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

No way he is doing a great job we need to get rid of the Def. Coordinator.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #125
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Look, I'm no football genius, but even your most random, run-of-the-mill fantasy football player can tell you that Chris Brown is a walking injury. I think taking a risk on one of our backups or practice squad guys would have been more acceptable than bringing in Brown.

And don't even get me started on Reeves. I honestly don't know how you make it as a CB in this league without turning your damn head to find the ball. All I can say is he seems to be the luckiest son of a ***** because he happens on breaking up passes by some miracle, because lord knows, it's not because he knows where the ball is. I'm sure he probably finds $20 bills lying on the ground all the time and is hit on by beautiful twins with big boobs everywhere he goes.
Hell, I need to follow him around myself.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #126
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

On ESPN.com Kubes is in 10th place in the voting for Coach approval, right behind Jeff Fisher.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #127
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point is that giving Kubiak credit for everything that turns out well and excusing everything that turns out bad as "out of his control" is not an evaluation at all. It is more like a product advertisement.
And my point is, when folks point out the bad signings (I'm surprised no one mentioned R.Colvin - but since we cut him, maybe he doesn't really count) as reasons Smithiak needs to be fired, I can point at just as many diamonds in the rough and bargain basement guys that have been a big part of pulling this team out of suckatude.

Bad signings -
A. Green - good when healthy, just never healthy
C. Brown - see above
J. Reeves (although, given we couldn't afford a top tier guy, and we knew D-Rob was going to be out until at least Halloween, I don't know what else could have been done.)
R. Colvin - didn't fit into our scheme - whatever it might be (I'll go ahead and count him since we paid him a signing bonus - didn't we?)

Good signings
V. Leach - stud FB
K. Walter - solid #2
A. Davis - stepped up big when AJ went down (and to think I almost forgot him)
T. Bulman - gotta love his work ethic and didn't he get the first non-Mario sack from the DL?
D. Robinson (DE) - diamond in the rough. Looks to be a better DT than TJ
E. Wilson - solid FS.
N. Ferguson - probably the most sure tackler on the team this side of DeMeco.
E. Cochran - was coming on real strong until injured
E. Salaam (he was better than what we had - and is still a good guy to spot rest Duane Brown)
A. Maddox - another solid DL guy (I hate he got cut this year)

None of those guys broke the bank and all are solid contributors.
Now if we can upgrade, anywhere, we should. No question.

But Smithiak has assembled a damned good squad without wasting the kind of money that the Raiders or Cowboys or 49ers have over the past 3 years. So to point out a couple of high profile misses without acknowledging all the good finds isn't really fair either.
Its more like having an agenda.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-29-2008   #128
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
And my point is, when folks point out the bad signings (I'm surprised no one mentioned R.Colvin - but since we cut him, maybe he doesn't really count) as reasons Smithiak needs to be fired, I can point at just as many diamonds in the rough and bargain basement guys that have been a big part of pulling this team out of suckatude.

But Smithiak has assembled a damned good squad without wasting the kind of money that the Raiders or Cowboys or 49ers have over the past 3 years. So to point out a couple of high profile misses without acknowledging all the good finds isn't really fair either.
Its more like having an agenda.
I've already posted that I don't think Kubiak should be fired, so that's not my agenda. I just think he's an average coach. Some subjective examples:

Good signings and bad signings have about evened out - average. Even if good signings outweigh bad signings, something else (coaching) counteracted that improvement - still average. Note: I'm not going to accept Hurricane Ike as the reason they lost to the Raiders.

Kubiak built a team that can pile up the yards - but can't score effectively - average.

Kubiak built a great offense - and an equally bad defense - average.

Kubiak motivates his players well - but doesn't have them ready to play several times by his own admission - average.

For all the good things Kubiak has done, he has had misses. That is why the team is 8-8. I don't think it is a "damn good squad". I think they are damned average. Sure they made some talent improvements this year; its just that those improvements were offset by lapses, many of them mental.

The Texas and Kubiak own the improvements as well as the lapses.
Old 12-29-2008   #129
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've already posted that I don't think Kubiak should be fired, so that's not my agenda. I just think he's an average coach. Some subjective examples:

Good signings and bad signings have about evened out - average. Even if good signings outweigh bad signings, something else (coaching) counteracted that improvement - still average. Note: I'm not going to accept Hurricane Ike as the reason they lost to the Raiders.

Kubiak built a team that can pile up the yards - but can't score effectively - average.

Kubiak motivates his players well - but doesn't have them ready to play several times by his own admission - average.

For all the good things Kubiak has done, he has had misses. That is why the team is 8-8. I don't think it is a "damn good squad". I think they are damned average. Sure they made some talent improvements this year; its just that those improvements were offset by lapses, many of them mental.

Pretty good way to sum it up.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #130
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

I have one question before I cast my "yay" or "nay" in support of Kubiak:

Will Bill Parcells be available next year for our GM position?
Old 12-29-2008   #131
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I have one question before I cast my "yay" or "nay" in support of Kubiak:

Will Bill Parcells be available next year for our GM position?
Was that tongue and cheek? Parcells wouldn't take it even if it were.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #132
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Was that tongue and cheek? Parcells wouldn't take it even if it were.
yeah, definitely tongue in cheek (as evidenced by my )

I'm just impressed that a 1-15 team can win their division the next season. The best turnaround we've seen is a four win difference (i.e. 2-14 to 6-10), and the best record we've seen is 8-8 while Miami is sporting an 11-5 record this season.

I guess the debate about how much difference can the front office make is officially over. Obviously, it can make a HUGE difference.

That being said, my vote is to keep Kubiak, simply because I don't want another rebuilding process at this point.

I do agree with many of the Kubiak critics and have my own reservations about him as a HC, but I also recognize the huge difference he's made in our offense, as well.

I see both sides of the debate, but the main argument is, to me, about having to endure another rebuilding...unless Mr. Parcells is available, of course.

p.s. He needs to upgrade his DC, though!
Old 12-29-2008   #133
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nah, we don't fire him this year. With all of his mistakes and miscues, he has done some very good things. I think the jury is still out on him being good/great/ok/average/ until after next year. Then we can revisit this conversation.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #134
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

IlliniJen knows football, that's what I'm learning from this thread.

She's hitting the nail on the head with every post. The Chris Brown signing was like Altoids: Curiously Strong. Gambling on Steve Slaton was Kubiak's last quarter at a Vegas slot machine, and he hit the jackpot.

The only bad part? He's an injury away from not having a RB again. Which makes Moats or a free agent or a draft pick at RB (again) very important.

8-8 looks great, considering what happened, but this offense without a RB will turn an 8-8 team into a Capers-type of 4-12 or 3-13 team in a hurry.

Nobody needs to think that 8-8 and the multiple winning streaks this season will mean playoffs next year. If Kubiak and Rick Smith make another bobble in judgment on RB this offseason, it'll mean potential headaches galore next season if Slaton misses action.

Defenses will be gunning for Slaton next year. You can bank on it.

Kubiak saved his own bacon with Slaton. He's gotta' do it again. Hope he chooses the right slot machine to put that quarter in...
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #135
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The "product" at its molecular level.

I couldn't give Runner rep for any of his posts in this thread. So I gave some to Texecutioner in the hope that some rep reaches Runner through osmosis.
Old 12-29-2008   #136
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The "product" at its molecular level.

I couldn't give Runner rep for any of his posts in this thread. So I gave some to Texecutioner in the hope that some rep reaches Runner through osmosis.

That's ironic, I couldn't rep you either. I'll rep Texecutioner as well and see what happens. It's his lucky day.
Old 12-29-2008   #137
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Reeves is solid. One day you pinata punchers will understand that you're bashing the guy because he doesn't possess that final element (ball-hawking skills) that would make him an elite CB talent. The guy has the speed and quickness to be a solid player if the defensive line gets consistent pressure.

we are paying him 4 mil a year (or bob mcnair)
average salaries
5. Cornerback | $1,193,666

I would expect an above average cb with head turning skills with that kind of jingle in his pocket
unless the money in his pocket is hurting his ability to look for the ball
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...5/11/index.htm

and esp on a CB that is in and out of the lineup like a Cincinnati Bengal at the County Jail
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #138
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
we are paying him 4 mil a year (or bob mcnair)
average salaries
5. Cornerback | $1,193,666

I would expect an above average cb with head turning skills with that kind of jingle in his pocket
unless the money in his pocket is hurting his ability to look for the ball
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...5/11/index.htm

and esp on a CB that is in and out of the lineup like a Cincinnati Bengal at the County Jail
An average salary in the NFL has to be examined in a different light than someone obtained as a FA. That includes every league minimum guy riding the pine on an undrafted contract. Among FA CB's he is not highly paid--middling, but not high at all. We got rid of Glenn four years ago as an aging vet when he was going to get 66% more per year.

By the way, he only counted $1.8 mil on the cap this year.
Old 12-30-2008   #139
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
An average salary in the NFL has to be examined in a different light than someone obtained as a FA. That includes every league minimum guy riding the pine on an undrafted contract. Among FA CB's he is not highly paid--middling, but not high at all. We got rid of Glenn four years ago as an aging vet when he was going to get 66% more per year.

By the way, he only counted $1.8 mil on the cap this year.
good post, I was in my knee-jerk mode
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #140
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They seemed to score pretty good this Sunday. Maybe with Shanny calling plays this will change some and Kubiak can spent his time managing the game better.

He is going to say it is his fault if the team is not ready - even if it is not his fault. With youger guys one has to learn how to get up for the next game and not let the "high" from the previous weeks win make then think they can beat anybody.

I do not think he is perfect or an elite coach - not yet. I think he can become one in the next year or two. He has made mistakes and mental errors, but all coaches have those also. The key to every mistake is to learn from them and not make the same mistake twice.

I saw a lot of improvement this year - not necessarily in the W column but in the play and the intensity of the players out there. A team that did not pack it in or quit or fold when out of the playoffs.

A team that came in and played hard the last game and helped make it possible for the Eagles to have a real reason to crush the Cowgirls.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read