Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-29-2008   #101
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Yes. People like to blame the 0-4 start on Hurricane Ike. I prefer to blame it on the coaching staff for not having the team ready for the season.
How about for the first time in NFL history starting the season against 4 playoff teams?--with three games on the road.

How about your league best WR getting a case of the dropsies for the day (1st TN game)? For the record, AJ had 4 drops on the year. At least three and maybe all four came in one game.

How about your reserve QB trying to become superman?

Those were coaching issues?

I do want to see the defensive coaching staff gutted.
Old 12-29-2008   #102
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hey, Texans fans: 2009's the year to ride Kubiak this hard

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon..._the_year.html

solomon weighs in

Quote:
Texans fans, get a hold of yourselves, and get over it.

The Raiders loss is far from the worst of the Texans many humiliations. (And all of them have been public, by the way.) So drop the anger.

Gary Kubiak shouldn't be fired over this or anything else he has done. The Texans are on the right track and it has a lot to do with Kubiak.

The guy can coach. Next year is the year you hold his feet to the fire in a "playoffs-or-else" mode. This year the team could have gotten there by fluke. Next year they are supposed to get there, period.

Remember this (as I've said before): Kubiak will be a much better coach in his fifth year than in his first, second or third. Will that fifth year on the job be in Houston?

We broke him, so do you want to let somebody else ride him?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #103
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

from solomon's link

Quote:
"On a lighter note, do you wish your daughter would have married a better defensive coordinator?" ... Detroit News columnist Rob Parker's question to Lions' head coach Rod Marinelli.

If a coach hires his son-in-law as defensive coordinator and that defense is the worst in the league in points and yards allowed, he has to expect people to call him out for nepotism.

If Richard Smith was Gary Kubiak's son-in-law, there is little doubt at some point I would have written how much better the Texans would have been had his daughter married Dick LeBeau or Rex Ryan.
Old 12-29-2008   #104
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hey, Texans fans: 2009's the year to ride Kubiak this hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon..._the_year.html

solomon weighs in
Quote:
Remember this (as I've said before): Kubiak will be a much better coach in his fifth year than in his first, second or third. Will that fifth year on the job be in Houston?

We broke him, so do you want to let somebody else ride him?
Sounds just like what SheTexan has been telling us...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I want him fired. Reasons: poor playcalling and clock management when it counts, and this is something that he should have at least learned by now. Poor red zone playcalling. Lack of toughness throughout the team. Lack of an ability to finish games. He will cost us a couple games on trying to out-smart and out-cute our opponents. Our team's preparation is also lacking, especially when it comes to road games. I don't see a lot of these trends changing next year, so we will lose a couple games we should have won on paper due to these issues.

I acknowledge that our offense is improving, but having a great offense that stumbles in the red zone is a major issue. I also think we have the players on offense that make it so great...our receiving corps is tops in the league in talent, and we found a real diamond in Slaton. But I have to wonder how we would have faired without Slaton being the kind of player that he is.

If we don't make the playoffs next year, I think his job will be in jeopardy, unless ownership is okay with middling records.
Well-written post.

I agree with every bit of it.

Congratulations, Gary: You rescued a turd of a team and have reached 8-8 two years in-a-row. Next year? It's playoffs or you're done. Frankly, I am shocked that we pulled off 8-8, but as Jen said: How much of that was Slaton being Slaton? Without that guy...we don't finish 8-8.

If we retained Gibbs and had a better HC who can do all the intangibles that Jen is talking about...what would this team look like? If we had a legit HC, this team would have a ferocious defense and not the lukewarm crap we see from time-to-time. Kubiak is the reason behind Richard Smith.

I would fire Kubiak, but McNair isn't going to. He's pleased with us at least not being a complete embarrassment anymore like we were under Capers.

I think Kubiak would stay after next season, as well, even if we didn't go to the playoffs. I sense McNair thinks he has a long-term HC in Kubiak.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #106
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Congratulations, Gary: You rescued a turd of a team and have reached 8-8 two years in-a-row. Next year? It's playoffs or you're done. Frankly, I am shocked that we pulled off 8-8, but as Jen said: How much of that was Slaton being Slaton? Without that guy...we don't finish 8-8.

Well thank goodness for Slaton, esp when Green and Brown were supposed to carry the load this season, I don't know many teams that could carry on when losing their "potentially" starting 2 running backs.

(even though we all knew that Brown and Green were injury prone)
Old 12-29-2008   #107
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
Let's play the "IF" game. We beat Indy and Oakland to finish 10-6 and still miss the playoffs, is this thread even born?
If the Texans had won the Super Bowl this year we wouldn't be talking about this either. End of thread!
Old 12-29-2008   #108
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Well thank goodness for Slaton, esp when Green and Brown were supposed to carry the load this season, I don't know many teams that could carry on when losing their "potentially" starting 2 running backs.

(even though we all knew that Brown and Green were injury prone)
Yet another reason why I question Kubiak. I don't know how much of retaining BOTH Green and Brown were his decision versus the GM, but putting any money into either of them was a mistake. And I can see Brown coming back next year, despite his inability to stay healthy for any meaningful period of time...otherwise why did they IR him?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #109
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yet another reason why I question Kubiak. I don't know how much of retaining BOTH Green and Brown were his decision versus the GM, but putting any money into either of them was a mistake. And I can see Brown coming back next year, despite his inability to stay healthy for any meaningful period of time...otherwise why did they IR him?
Yeah, they put Taylor on IR, then settled with him and he was gone. I feel like you do - if they were going to cut ties with him, they already would have.

Maybe Moats sticks, we sign a bruiser FA RB (or draft one) and THEN they decide to cut ties with Brown? Maybe they're just holding on to him until they're absolutely certain they have a better option. I dunno.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #110
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
They will probably reach a settlement with him in the off season. That's how these things usually play out. He could have asked for a settlement himself. Obviously, he was content watching the ball games from his couch while eating Doritos. He will not be on the roster next year. You can take that to the bank.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #111
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They will probably reach a settlement with him in the off season. That's how these things usually play out. He could have asked for a settlement himself. Obviously, he was content watching the ball games from his couch while eating Doritos. He will not be on the roster next year. You can take that to the bank.
Brown should not have been on the roster THIS year. If we were having issues with an unhealthy Green, why bring in a player that poses the SAME EXACT issues and injury risk as Green? Just seems like throwing good money after a double heaping helping of fail. It's decisions like this that really erode my faith in coaching and management because they make no sense and seem stupid at the time, and really stupid in retrospect.

This Moats guy is intriguing, but we've all seen some "intriguing" RBs for one or two games with the Texans and they never seem to pan out. I heartily agree with the majority that believes we need to draft or pick up in FA a bruising short-yardage RB to be the "bake" to Slaton's "shake." If LenWhale White cannot only be a starting RB in this league but also thrive because of Chris Johnson, I don't see why we can't have the same type of attack.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 12-29-2008   #112
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brown should not have been on the roster THIS year. If we were having issues with an unhealthy Green, why bring in a player that poses the SAME EXACT issues and injury risk as Green? Just seems like throwing good money after a double heaping helping of fail. It's decisions like this that really erode my faith in coaching and management because they make no sense and seem stupid at the time, and really stupid in retrospect.

This Moats guy is intriguing, but we've all seen some "intriguing" RBs for one or two games with the Texans and they never seem to pan out. I heartily agree with the majority that believes we need to draft or pick up in FA a bruising short-yardage RB to be the "bake" to Slaton's "shake." If LenWhale White cannot only be a starting RB in this league but also thrive because of Chris Johnson, I don't see why we can't have the same type of attack.
In retrospect I could have won the lottery a gazillion times and be retired now. If I had only known the lottery numbers before hand.

We can sit here and play coulda, woulda, shoulda all day. Look the Texans were thin @ RB and Brown as available. It's not like they signed the guy to a 10 year/ 75 million dollar deal.

They took a chance and it didn't work out. Happens every day in life.

We can have the same type of attack. We just need to go find the thumper to go with Slaton. However, we couldn't have had it this year. Didn't have anyone on the roster that could fill the roll.
Old 12-29-2008   #113
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In retrospect I could have won the lottery a gazillion times and be retired now. If I had only known the lottery numbers before hand.

We can sit here and play coulda, woulda, shoulda all day. Look the Texans were thin @ RB and Brown as available. It's not like they signed the guy to a 10 year/ 75 million dollar deal.

They took a chance and it didn't work out. Happens every day in life.

We can have the same type of attack. We just need to go find the thumper to go with Slaton. However, we couldn't have had it this year. Didn't have anyone on the roster that could fill the roll.
I wouldn't equate Kubiak's coaching style with randomly guessing a series of numbers. I give him credit for making more informed decisions than that. Of course if it is all fate and random chance it is easier to avoid accountability...
Old 12-29-2008   #114
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

(a) he was relatively cheap.
(b) right or wrong, they like experience and Brown was an experienced RB.
(c) who else was available that was better (when healthy) and was as cheap?

Now, having posed those points - I agree, it was a mistake to sign Chris Brown. We were warned by folks from the Titans' msg board that he wouldn't last a year - not that our F/O listens to msg boards but if WE knew they should have too. Basically, it was a shot in the dark and an unspoken admission from the F/O that they knew Green wouldn't last all year.

Look, nobody bats 1.000 on all their signings. And we've hit on as many as we've missed on.
- Whenever you point to Chris Brown, I'll counter with Kevin Walter.
- You throw Ahman Green at me, I'll counter with Tim Bulman or DelJuan Robinson.
- If you bring up Jacque Reeves (some think the jury is still out on him), I'll point at Vonta Leach or Eugene Wilson or Kevin Bentley.

...nobody bats 1.000; but overall, I think they're not doing terribly badly.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 12-29-2008 at 12:46 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #115
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I wouldn't equate Kubiak's coaching style with randomly guessing a series of numbers. I give him credit for making more informed decisions than that. Of course if it is all fate and random chance it is easier to avoid accountability...
The only point I was trying to make is that it is easy to coach from a Lazyboy. The Chris Brown/Ahman Green situations were unfortunate. However, I didn't see any big name running backs knocking on the door wanting to play in Houston. With the cap situation the way it was, the Texans wouldn't have been able to afford the big names this year if they wanted to. I'm sure Evil Knievel thought the Caesar's Palace fountain jump was a stupid decision while he was in the hospital. He didn't think so before he attempted it though.

All I'm saying is that labeling Kubiak a stupid HC because of 1 or 2 bad free agent decisions is stupid in itself. Every team makes bad personnel decisions. It happens.

The fact of the matter is that the Texans are a good defensive coaching staff away from being an outstanding football team. Let's see how the DC situation plays out before we call Kubes a bad HC. If Richard Smith is still here at the start of OTA's then add me to the lynch mob roster.
Old 12-29-2008   #116
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Now, having posed those points - I agree, it was a mistake to sign Chris Brown. We were warned by folks from the Titans' msg board that he wouldn't last a year - not that our F/O listens to msg boards but if WE knew they should have too. Basically, it was a shot in the dark and an unspoken admission from the F/O that they knew Green wouldn't last all year.

Look, nobody bats 1.000 on all their signings. And we've hit on as many as we've missed on.
- You throw Ahman Green at me, I'll counter with Tim Bulman or DelJuan Robinson.
- If you bring up Jacque Reeves (some think the jury is still out on him), I'll point at Vonta Leach or Eugene Wilson or Kevin Bentley.

Gotta rep ya for this post.
Old 12-29-2008   #117
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

My point is that giving Kubiak credit for everything that turns out well and excusing everything that turns out bad as "out of his control" is not an evaluation at all. It is more like a product advertisement.
Old 12-29-2008   #118
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Look, I'm no football genius, but even your most random, run-of-the-mill fantasy football player can tell you that Chris Brown is a walking injury. I think taking a risk on one of our backups or practice squad guys would have been more acceptable than bringing in Brown.

And don't even get me started on Reeves. I honestly don't know how you make it as a CB in this league without turning your damn head to find the ball. All I can say is he seems to be the luckiest son of a ***** because he happens on breaking up passes by some miracle, because lord knows, it's not because he knows where the ball is. I'm sure he probably finds $20 bills lying on the ground all the time and is hit on by beautiful twins with big boobs everywhere he goes.

Old 12-29-2008   #119
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

For me, it's not so much that we made a bad signing with Chris Brown... it's that we followed a bad signing of Ahman Green with a bad signing of Chris Brown.

And I don't think you can compare Green with DelJuan and Bulman. Green was signed to be the starter. Bulman and DelJuan are depth.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #120
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look, I'm no football genius, but even your most random, run-of-the-mill fantasy football player can tell you that Chris Brown is a walking injury. I think taking a risk on one of our backups or practice squad guys would have been more acceptable than bringing in Brown.

And don't even get me started on Reeves. I honestly don't know how you make it as a CB in this league without turning your damn head to find the ball. All I can say is he seems to be the luckiest son of a ***** because he happens on breaking up passes by some miracle, because lord knows, it's not because he knows where the ball is. I'm sure he probably finds $20 bills lying on the ground all the time and is hit on by beautiful twins with big boobs everywhere he goes.
Excellent points Illijen and I totally agree. Kubes has been very arrogant with his Shanahan type of syndrome thinking he could plug any ole back in this system and do well. The Texans clearly suffered from that ego of thinking he could just get anyone out there. I've said since last season that Domanick Davis/Williams was a big reason why the Texans went 7-9 under Capers because the running game helped out so much. Kubiak let us go a whole two years without a RB and gambled on Green, Lundi, and Dayne, and then Brown. For all we know Slaton could have been average as well, because there wasn't a large consensus that Slaton would be a great back. He had the potential, but it wasn't never a lock in most people's eyes.

At the end of the day Kubiak is in his 3rd season and the team has still not even been over 500. The Texans are right where they were in Capers third season. A mediocre team where everyone feels they are getting better. Maybe they are and maybe they won't. That is exactly what 8-8 describes realistically.

There have been a ton of teams that have been turned around and had winning seasons since Kubiak was hired here, so this whole thing about it taking 5 to 6 years to turn a team around is a laugh. Since Kubiak has been hired, The Jets, Saints, Titans, falcons, Panthers, Dolphins, and a few other teams here and there have been it to the playoffs at least once. We still have yet to get over 500. Mangini was hired the same year that Kubiak was and Mangini has at least made it to the playoffs once, and was a hair close to making it again this season and he is fired.

The only argument Kubiak supporters really keep trying to make is that he is turning this team around. Well, they still haven't had a winning season, so you guys can be patient all you want and expect greatness out of an overatted offensive coordinator, but I've seen enough in Kubiak to know that he isn't a great coach. He is an average one that can run a team, but he hasn't shown that he can lead one. The Texans still play inconsistently and the Raiders game was a perfect example of that. Good coaches break their teams out of this kind of stuff. This is the NFL and coaches are expected to produce. Kubiak is just lucky that he plays for an owner where winning isn't everything to him. Mcnair is okay with a season like this, so he won't do anything. As long as the Texans aren't being laughed at tremedously Mcnair is happy and fine as long as the tailgaters are out there and tickets are being sold and he still has fans saying the same classic line which is "Next year is our year".
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read