Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2008   #81
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why couldn't Ronald Reagan have a third term?

Sorry, I was confused and thought I was in the useless discussions thread (no matter how much merit can be brought to either side).
I have a half full glass when it comes to the defensive line.. somehow It seems our coaching doesn't bring out the best in them (mario was the exception) ... I have no stats , just blind homerism ..esp when I see what the Titans did to no-names and somehow get those players to overachieve
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #82
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wish the defense could find the players like the offensive side of the ball did and put those players, in positions to succeed .. Kubiak and crew plucked Walter out from the Bengals and Gibbs helped the OL so much this year (still needs improvement in short yardage)

but again for every Walter there was a green and brown
Old 12-28-2008   #83
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

I want Kubiak to stay. I just want most of the defensive coaching staff shown the door. Combine a more aggressive defensive scheme with better personnel at particularly the DE spot and secondary along with re-signing Dunta Robinson and I think we are closer to a playoff team than many believe provided we can keep Schaub and the offense healthy.
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #84
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the people who want Kubiak fired if they realize that if Kubiak is fired, that the next coach would most likely scrap the zone blocking scheme. So the 2008 first round pick would be a waste and that it would set the offense back at least 1 year if not two. Where as the offense is not a major problem (yes there are things that can and should improve), it is the defense that is a huge factor holding this team down.
Old 12-28-2008   #85
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Already had my say on this. I could see the boss with the big money clips buying out one year not two. I would like to see the game management and clock management improve.

Coming out of a long time out and not having three plays in the bag...the first play and then one play if the first works, and one play if it doesn't, is a sin. It looks bush league. If it was a bunch of seventh graders, it'd be one thing. I don't care how young they are this team is way too helter-skelter at times. That's on the coaching staff. If the coaching is helter skelter, unprepared, it shows up in the game. Hesitation and confusion are viruses which runs through a football team and kills it. You got to know before you hit a situation what you're going to do in that situation. Not mill around and try to find a perfect play during a time out.

You should figure out your two point plays out in OTAs and stick to them.

Every game you ought to have one play in the bank no one has seen this offense run in three seasons.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-28-2008 at 10:21 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #86
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I have a half full glass when it comes to the defensive line.. somehow It seems our coaching doesn't bring out the best in them (mario was the exception) ... I have no stats , just blind homerism ..esp when I see what the Titans did to no-names and somehow get those players to overachieve
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything about discussion in general even including Kubiak, but Kubiak is not leaving this year so that is wasted time. The real question is what changes he makes. I'd like to see Richard Smith and John Hoke gone. I have heard for seven years now how Hoke is a great DB coach while watching guys take 9 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 or catch slants all day long on our D. We are all guessing on who is making the calls on things, but I sit on the front row and have never ever seen Hoke emotional on a call or for the most part coaching the DBs. He should be toast and Richard Smith should be the tray carrying him to the rutti tutti fresh and frutti breakfast as far as I am concerned.

Addition by subtraction. Then add a couple more talent options on D. Then coach up the turnover and RZ problems and you have a team to be feared.

Last edited by infantrycak; 12-28-2008 at 09:35 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #87
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything about discussion in general even including Kubiak, but Kubiak is not leaving this year so that is wasted time. The real question is what changes he makes. I'd like to see Richard Smith and John Hoke gone. I have heard for seven years now how Hoke is a great DB coach while watching guys take 9 yard cushions on 3rd and 5 or catch slants all day long on our D.
agreed
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2008   #88
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything about discussion in general even including Kubiak, but Kubiak is not leaving this year so that is wasted time.
That is what I always think of/say when I see these kind of threads.. but then again this is a discussion board, and the thread title state who wants Kubiak to be fired, and why?

Even though there is less then a 1% chance, IMO, that Kubiak get ****canned this year, it's still a topic people can discuss, no matter how futile it is because in the end Kubiak is coming back for his fourth season next year anyways.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #89
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 58129 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I think winning five of the last six to finish at .500 shows that Kubiak has instilled a winning football attitude. Every team in the NFL has a disappointing game like the Oakland game.
I'm going to take into consideration the team's bad stretches as well as the good.

Looking at the 3-7 start together with the 5-1 finish as well as last year's performance, I'd say Kubiak has instilled a non-losing attitude. Or non-winning attitude. Whatever.

====================

As far as disregarding the Oakland loss, I'd then have to disregard the Tennessee win since the Titans just "had a disappointing game".

====================

As for the topic of this thread, I'd be stunned if Kubiak is fired. He deserves one more year to show if he's learned anything and can get the team to turn the corner in reality that it has so many times turned in projections.
Old 12-28-2008   #90
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 3894 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to make the playoffs damn it and I don't care who gets us there. My prediction for this team was that we would most likely go 9-7 and best case 10-6 and be in the playoff hunt till the end.

We ended up going 8-8. To me, that does not warrant firing Kubiak and I have SEVERAL major issues with him coaching wise. Ideally, I would love to see Marty or Cowher lead this team because they know how to win in the NFL.

Though we are 8-8 like last year, there is no question in my mind that this team is a much stronger team that is on the verge of becoming a legit playoff team. I really think Kubiak needs to drop the soft training camp and go after it hard like the Ravens coach did. I think that would definitely help us get off to a strong start and instill toughness and reduce turnovers hopefully. That would be a much better way to go about it than have "Protect the Ball" written on the practice shorts.

I definitely want Kubiak to critically assess his own performance and to really strive to improve the way we go about challenging calls. There is a disconnect in the system we have and it has hurt us. I also want him to either take over offensive playcalling in the redzone and/or make a commitment to not get so damn cute in the redzone and pound the ****ing ball in the endzone.

I don't get how an NFL coach can be so poor at clock management. Honestly, I think you have it or you don't in terms of strategy but nevertheless I want to see IMPROVEMENTS in these areas that he has DIRECT CONTROL over.

No doubt Dick needs to go and so does John Hoke. Get a real DC in here, draft a playmaker on defense (I don't care what position), and turn the dogs loose.

I am not sold on Kubiak but want him to succeed since he is the coach of the Texans. It concerns me that we have come out flat and/or gotten blown out like during the Minnesota game when we still had something to play for.

The mantra for 2009 must be playoffs or bust. I would like for us to get some veteran guys on defense with a mean, nasty streak and who have won before. I just wish the 2009 season would start next week rather than 9 months from now. Football season just goes by too quickly. 2009 - playoff year please.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #91
cowbellm00
100% Houstonian

Rep Power: 11 cowbellm00 is a Pro Bowlercowbellm00 is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to cowbellm00

Kubiak will be there next year and I'm glad for it. Each year he's done things I can't stand and other things I agreed with. But facts are facts. The Texans haven't hit a recession under this guy so there is no reason for him to go anywhere. He'd prove himself if he adresses some issues on the side. We'll see next summer if he's smart or not. I have a good feeling he'll do the right thing for us.

cowbellm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #92
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak>Capers. That's all...
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #93
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not that my opinion matters that much, being female and all, but, here goes anyway. Why throw 3 yrs down the tubes?! GK came to us a babe at the HC position. It's taken him 3 yrs to even start looking like a competant HC, so why toss him out now? Someone else will just benefit from our training grounds, cause GK will be a HC in this league for a long time to come. If he cleans up the defensive coaching situation and spends a little more time evaluating his own weaknesses, such as game planning and player preparation, then I can see a bright light at the end of the tunnel, and it looks like a SB berth in a couple of years. PLUS, a major factor here, the players support him, and for some reason, other than the Oakland game, they have shown a lot of fight, passion, and positive attitude during the latter part of the season. JMO, but, I think GK had more to do with that than anyone else. Our guys have got to FEEL IT, WANT IT with a passion, and GK seems to be working that magic! The pieces of the puzzle are all starting to fit nicely, and I like it!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #94
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleytexfan View Post
Kubiak>Capers. That's all...
I agree. I think we all agree. Where some of us have issues though is whether or not that's enough. We know he's better than Capers but that's not exactly raising the bar very high when it comes to picking a head coach. Is he equal to the head coaches who consistently have their teams in the mix for the title? Is he going to be anytime soon? How long do we wait to see?

Unfortunately the only way to find out is to play this hand to it's conclusion. He'll be back next year and I think if he delivers another 8-8 season but the team shows more "improvement" then he'll be back for 2010 as well. By then it will be without any doubt win or we move on without you. McNair will take this as far as it goes as long as it goes forward without clearly stepping back.
Old 12-29-2008   #95
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Marcus, while it may be a valid discussion to fire Kubiak, it's not a good one. First, I can respect Herv's opinion and he backs it up. BUT, there have been others where calling for Kubiak's head was an agenda.

In his first three seasons he has a taken a completely in shambles 2-14 team to 6-10, 8-8, 8-8. Eerily close to what Fisher did with the Oilers / Titans. All the while Kubiak has almost completely changed over the roster leaving very few original Texans on the squad.

Has he made mistakes? Sure, but I expect him to learn from his own mistakes as he asks his players to learn from theirs. This team is headed in the right direction.

The offense is pretty darn good. It's obvious that they need another running back who can pick up the tough yards and be more physical in the middle of the field or in the red zone - than Slaton is. With a couple of little tweaks, this offense can go from pretty good, to really good.

The defense needs work, obviously. It would have been interesting to see how the defense would have performed had Kubiak been able to get the DC he wanted. In any event, whether its Richard Smith or anyone else - it's a glaring weakness and the talent level just isn't there, yet.
Old 12-29-2008   #96
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 349 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's play the "IF" game. We beat Indy and Oakland to finish 10-6 and still miss the playoffs, is this thread even born?
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #97
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak does not need to be fired or feel the pressure to be fired, but he certainly has a ways to go to be a top HC in this league. Expectations should be that this was a bad year moving forward, however, as it stands now, for this franchise, it is the high water mark.

Certainly we can all agree that this year's Texans were different, but still not good enough. Changes need to be made to the staff, front office, personnel and in-game management in order for us to continue to progress. Status quo would suggest all is good in the hood and is something that this fan will be up in arms about. Kubiak is the figurehead, has the bull horn, good pulse of the team and has the owner's and GM's ear. The changes that need to be made, need to be made this year or else mediocrity will be the next level of purgatory that we will be mired in.

If there are no changes made, then there better not be any changes made to ticket prices. Why should the fans work harder if the Texans will not work harder?
Old 12-29-2008   #98
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 76973 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

QUOTE=The1ApplePie;1086349]

"If this is as good as it gets, then give him the boot now."

"If he has real potential to be something more keep him."

"Pretty simple" .. Yes.....it is..

And therein lies the question.

Old 12-29-2008   #99
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
Let's play the "IF" game. We beat Indy and Oakland to finish 10-6 and still miss the playoffs, is this thread even born?
Yes. People like to blame the 0-4 start on Hurricane Ike. I prefer to blame it on the coaching staff for not having the team ready for the season.

I really am disappointed in this season. However, I am willing to give Kubes one more off season to make the much needed changes on the defensive coaching staff. As someone else already stated. If there are no changes, then I'm done with Kubiak.

Last edited by Pantherstang84; 12-29-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008   #100
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

long thread...haven't read it, but I'll weigh in. I wouldn't fire Kubiak but I'd hammer his defensive staff. We gave up nearly 400 points and were clueless and outcoached on many occassions....for two years in a row. Time for a change there.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read