Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2008   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

Here's your thread to get it all out on the head coach. Keep this thread about Kubiak and Kubiak only.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #2
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Default Re: So who wants Kubiak fired, and why?

*crickets*
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Can I put a NO in here?
Old 12-28-2008   #4
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

who the hell would want him fired. sure he has made some mistakes but everyone does

he has been here for what 2 years? most of the time it takes longer than that to build a team. ppl who dont kno crap about building a team want to see results as soon as a new coach walks in, it almost ever works like that

and also y even start this thread? you had nothing to add and seem to be looking to start arguments.

i hope an admin locks this up. y start threads with nothing to post
Old 12-28-2008   #5
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #6
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
who the hell would want him fired. sure he has made some mistakes but everyone does

he has been here for what 2 years? most of the time it takes longer than that to build a team. ppl who dont kno crap about building a team want to see results as soon as a new coach walks in, it almost ever works like that

and also y even start this thread? you had nothing to add and seem to be looking to start arguments.

i hope an admin locks this up. y start threads with nothing to post
You must have missed the countless fire Kubiak threads.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #7
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, there are a few here that want him fired. I've been able to tell from the tone of their posts. I just want to see if they grow a set and fess up to it.
Sponsored links
Old 12-28-2008   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Only argument I can see being made is not firing RS soon enough and some game management concerns. Other then that in two years he's overhauled his side of the ball totally and has the team headed in the right direction.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think the majority here want him fired. He's called some bad plays earlier in the year and had trouble with just managing the game. Unless we can get Bill Cowher I don't think there's anyone out there who can do a better job than Kubiak right away next year.
Old 12-28-2008   #10
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

WTF!!!!

Kubes took an anemic Offense and put it in the top three in the NFL. It also has room to grow. If they build from here and reduce turnovers, and get better in the Red Zone, this will be unstopable.

OK, so the defense needs help, but the base is there. A new DC with #90, #23, #59, and a couple of high round 2009 draft picks and maybe the same thing happens on the D side of the ball.

Besides who's out there that you want. (That will actually come to Houston)

If we don't make the playoffs next year, then all the Fire Kubiak stuff can start.
Old 12-28-2008   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want Gary Fired, but I wanna see a winning season next year for sure. He needs to have a winning season next year.
stingray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #12
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I want him fired. Reasons: poor playcalling and clock management when it counts, and this is something that he should have at least learned by now. Poor red zone playcalling. Lack of toughness throughout the team. Lack of an ability to finish games. He will cost us a couple games on trying to out-smart and out-cute our opponents. Our team's preparation is also lacking, especially when it comes to road games. I don't see a lot of these trends changing next year, so we will lose a couple games we should have won on paper due to these issues.

I acknowledge that our offense is improving, but having a great offense that stumbles in the red zone is a major issue. I also think we have the players on offense that make it so great...our receiving corps is tops in the league in talent, and we found a real diamond in Slaton. But I have to wonder how we would have faired without Slaton being the kind of player that he is.

If we don't make the playoffs next year, I think his job will be in jeopardy, unless ownership is okay with middling records.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #13
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want him fired necessarily but I'm still not entirely convinced that he's the coach who will take us to the promised land. There are a lot of things that Gary Kubiak ("and staff" which is as far down the ladder as I'll go because they are a reflection of him) has fixed here. Are we better than we were when he came here? Of course. Absolutely. We've improved in a number of areas (mostly on the offensive side) and I'd be a fool to not accept that.

We're not a dynasty however. We aren't so good that we're beyond criticism or concern.

On offense we play soft at times. We come out unprepared too often. We are a lousy road team and we still show a propensity to "melt down" in hostile environments. We have trouble with turnovers and we have trouble scoring in the red zone. We tend to be good about penalties until we get a few and then we lose our composure and commit a bunch in a single game. We all can and have seen the team do some inexplicable things where play calling has been concerned. There isn't any question that at times Gary Kubiak has called (or approved) some insanely stupid calls. He can't manage a clock for shit and he tends to be a really bad liar when it comes time to explain himself. "dead legs"? Bullshit. According to Gary his team hasn't quit once this season but this flies in the face of the evidence before us. They've quit a few times this year. They laid down against Baltimore and they did it again against Oakland. They seem unprepared at times. Under Gary Kubiak the Texans seem to play "stupid" every now and then.

On defense we are not much better than we were when he got here. We were 23rd before this game today and in the past two years we've been 24th in total defense. We can't get any pressure on the QB and we can't stop the run. We have a plethora of problems on this side of the ball to add to those on offense. Our defense looks lost in the woods at times.

Does this mean I want Kubiak fired? No. Many of these things could be said about a lot of coaches in the NFL. Go to just about any teams message board that doesn't employ a Belichick or a Dungy and you'll find complaints like this. We could do a lot worse than Gary Kubiak. He's a step up from Dom Capers.

Is he going to take us into winning territory however? I don't know and I'm worried that we may have a guy who can improve a team but doesn't know how to make them consistent winners. We don't know. Really if you think about it we can't possibly know. Until the players either respond to him completely and start winning or quit on him entirely and get him fired we just don't know. He's mucking around in that 8-8 area where you can't find enough fault in him to make a good case for firing him and you can't find enough to like about the job he's done to want to extend his contract or proclaim him the next big thing.

I know this. I know that if he isn't that guy whose going to take us to consistent winning football then he's without any doubt going to leave the pantry better stocked than it was when he came here. I think we have to give him another year to see if he can finish this up. I think that another good draft will pretty much have this team loaded and deep and then you have to start saying "Gary, you've got all the ammo anyone could ask for. Now either go out there and start beating people or we're going to have to look at replacing you".

One more year IMO and if it's another year like this one then next season I'm going to be calling for the Texans to quit dicking around with this glorified offensive coordinator who can't lead and go hire a real coach. If he can take them forward into the 9-11 wins range then I'm a happy man.
Old 12-28-2008   #14
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody who knows anything about football thought Kubiak should be fired at ANY point this season.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #15
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Lock this thread this is stupid

Kubes is staying case closed
Shush. This is a valid discussion, regardless of whether or not Kubes is returning.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 12-28-2008   #16
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Lock this thread this is stupid

Kubes is staying case closed

Owen Wilson: "Lock it up!"

Vince Vaughn: "No you lock it up!"
Old 12-28-2008   #17
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Nobody who knows anything about football thought Kubiak should be fired at ANY point this season.
You mean the talking heads on TV? That would assume the talking heads on TV actually TALK about the Texans. Our team is persona non grata on the national level, and the local honks are scrubs, at best.

Old 12-28-2008   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

People please resist the urge to contribute valuable opinions like "lock this thread because I see no value in it". If you feel that way you are cordially invited to go find another one that suits you better.
Old 12-28-2008   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Shush. This is a valid discussion, regardless of whether or not Kubes is returning.
It is indeed and next season we are going to begin to see those national media types putting Kubiak on their "Might be in the hot seat" articles whether there's any truth to this or not. It's just a case of time running out on an NFL coach. You bring a guy into a "basket case" situation like Houston post-2005 and everyone spots him a season to get the lay of the land. Then you expect to see some improvement and Kubiak gave us that in 2007 with a .500 record. The next year (2008) you expect them to start looking like winners and we did that.....kinda. We're still .500 so technically this season is something of a wash for us but we had some improvement in very visible areas and so Kubiak doesn't get the kind of criticism he might have. Next year if we make a lot of the same mistakes then the talking heads will see him as a fair game to start talking job security about.

I thought this was a very good thread idea and topical. Kubiak is not a slam-dunk choice for getting a 5 year contract extension by most peoples standards. We have issues and some of them aren't going away like they should be. There's room to talk about this.
Old 12-28-2008   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Thank you, Jen. And thank you for your opinion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read