Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-28-2008   #1
worldlyman
Veteran

Rep Power: 776 worldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The difference with this 8-8 vs last year...

is that the Texans finished a solid 8-4 down, developed an identity on offense.

Just a power-oriented running back and get some pieces to at least upgrade a bad defense to at least a so-so one...this is a sure playoff team next season.

So all the cynics and naysayers crowing, "just another mediocre season"...well, let's just say that I give credit to the team for playing hard after a very, very difficult 0-4 start considering circumstances here in Houston and difficult Steelers and Titans defenses that stuffed the new learn-on-the-fly offensive line scheme.

Go Texans!
worldlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The difference with this 8-8 vs last year...

Bottom line is, this team wins with a healthy Schaub at the helm.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #3
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 52 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think they're set on offense other than ol depth. Draft should focus on defense.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Bottom line is, this team wins with a healthy Schaub at the helm.
exactly we have a top qb and a top rb this yr

we didnt last yr. alot of the pieces are in place. no serious offseason rehabs. last push to fix up the D in the offseason
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the biggest variable is Schaub. He simply needs to improve by next year. He can hardly take any pressure. If he gets any pressure, he seems to panic. But I think he will have a breakout year next year.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans finished with the exact same 8-8 record as in '07, despite having a healthy Andre Johnson for 16 games and finding a legitimate runner in Steve Slaton. No matter how you spin it, the Texans underachieved in 2008.
Old 12-28-2008   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I think the biggest variable is Schaub. He simply needs to improve by next year. He can hardly take any pressure. If he gets any pressure, he seems to panic. But I think he will have a breakout year next year.
Most QBs are like that though, the O-line needs to improve its pass protection. They are young and should continue to improve and gel next year, especially Duane. Schaub's skills improved this year, hes not perfect but his numbers are better pretty much across the board, lets see if he can stay healthy next season.
Old 12-28-2008   #8
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans finished with the exact same 8-8 record as in '07, despite having a healthy Andre Johnson for 16 games and finding a legitimate runner in Steve Slaton. No matter how you spin it, the Texans underachieved in 2008.
Agreed. And put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it" corner when it comes to doing anything better than 8-8 next season, despite what should be a pretty easy schedule.

I'll await improvement on the defense and playcalling before I'll buy into any "turning the corner" talk that I was far too quick to buy into a couple weeks ago.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #9
Texanballer
Rookie

Rep Power: 25 Texanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performerTexanballer is a Legendary performer

If we played under control against the colts at home we are 9-7. If we go into the Raiders came calm and serious i think we are 10-6.

No biggy though. This is something to build on for next season.
Texanballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #10
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In his last 7 starts, Schaub was 5-2, threw only 3 picks, and had 10 TD passes. We can live with #'s like that from our QB.
Old 12-28-2008   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Most QBs are like that though, the O-line needs to improve its pass protection. They are young and should continue to improve and gel next year, especially Duane. Schaub's skills improved this year, hes not perfect but his numbers are better pretty much across the board, lets see if he can stay healthy next season.
I understand that all Qb's perform better when they are given time. I just get a bad feeling when Schaub is in the pocket and he gets any kind of pressure. He makes more mistakes than he should. And that is what separates the great Qb's with the good Qb's, what they do under slight pressure.
Old 12-28-2008   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
In his last 7 starts, Schaub was 5-2, threw only 3 picks, and had 10 TD passes. We can live with #'s like that from our QB.
So what did he do the before that? Threw alot of Int's and got hurt. I'm not saying that Matt is a terrible QB. He is pretty good. He just needs to take the next step to be mentioned with the Eilte.
Old 12-28-2008   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So what did he do the first half? Threw alot of Int's and got hurt. I'm not saying that Matt is a terrible QB. He is pretty good. He just needs to take the next step to be mentioned with the Eilte.
Since when does "We can live with #'s like that" translate to I think he's elite?
Old 12-28-2008   #14
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So what did he do the before that? Threw alot of Int's and got hurt. I'm not saying that Matt is a terrible QB. He is pretty good. He just needs to take the next step to be mentioned with the Eilte.
You make it sound like getting his knee bashed in by dirty defensive Jared Allen play is Schaub's fault.

Schaub is improving, and that's a good sign. He doesn't do horribly under pressure, but he does need to improve what he does with the ball when under pressure. Too many grounding penalties this year.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #15
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is going to be our most interesting offseason to date. Will DRob come back and for how much? Where do we go with this draft? Will FA take us serious. Who will be our new DC?

Exciting offseason to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
You make it sound like getting his knee bashed in by dirty defensive Jared Allen play is Schaub's fault.

Schaub is improving, and that's a good sign. He doesn't do horribly under pressure, but he does need to improve what he does with the ball when under pressure. Too many grounding penalties this year.
I never mentioned Jarred Allen's name in any post. Bottom line, Schaub hasn't played all sixteen games here in two years. Not even close. It's like an employee who misses work for a variety of reason. Sick kids, death in the family, ETC, ETC... Yes, they are all legit, and it's a better reason than the guy who misses work because he is always hungover, but htey still miss work. Bottom line, you need someone who shows up to work.
Old 12-28-2008   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
I really think they're set on offense other than ol depth. Draft should focus on defense.
Disagreed either Brisiel or Myers needs to be replaced IMO. We can live with one or the other starting but both compromise the OL. Brisiel didn't make a great case for himself today especially on the holding play that cost us a TD. Schaub IMO has looked better as he's gotten more reps as the starter and doesn't hurt when you have a healthy AJ. If we can get someone to spell Slaton this team offensively is going to continue to be hard hang with.

I think this defense would look better with a new DC that can bring a real scheme. This team looked a lot better with Adibi starting because he can get sideline to sideline. We've got some good TEs in our division and team will continue to carve up our defense until we get speed on our OLBs.

Bottom line IMO got to get new OLBers and OG or C with our first two picks.

Last edited by Goldensilence; 12-28-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never mentioned Jarred Allen's name in any post. Bottom line, Schaub hasn't played all sixteen games here in two years. Not even close. It's like an employee who misses work for a variety of reason. Sick kids, death in the family, ETC, ETC... Bottom line, you need someone who shows up to work.
But in the scenario you made it would be your employer that is going out and getting your kids sick and killing folks in your family.

Schaub hasn't been hurt by his own doing, i.e. Griese tripping over a dog or Plax shooting himself. He's been hurt due to the team. Injuries are part of the game. It's a matter of deciding how much they are willing to deal with. I don't think we are anywhere near our limit when it comes to Matt missing games. Think Bennine J. and Jerome Mathis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #19
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
But in the scenario you made it would be your employer that is going out and getting your kids sick and killing folks in your family.

Schaub hasn't been hurt by his own doing, i.e. Griese tripping over a dog or Plax shooting himself. He's been hurt due to the team. Injuries are part of the game. It's a matter of deciding how much they are willing to deal with. I don't think we are anywhere near our limit when it comes to Matt missing games. Think Bennine J. and Jerome Mathis.
So Schaub is the only QB in the NFL who takes dirty hits? Come on... Spin it like you want but he needs to prove he can handle sixteen games in a year. If he does it next year, then I'll shut up.
Old 12-28-2008   #20
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I didnt see anyone mention the schedule thsat had us playing 3 out of first 4 on the raod and Hurricane Ike that disrupted the season and the city of Houston. That alone could doom a season. I predicted 10-6 at the end of last season and there was a couple of games that should have given them that record. After the Pitt loss I was afraid this would be a set back season and after Ike I had lost confidence in a 10-6 record, some predicted a 3 in season....you know who you are. I consider this season a step forward if not remaining stationary. As I have said The texans need to have a 10-6 record before having hope of making playoffs.

My prediction for next year 10-6 until proven otherwise........
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read