Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-25-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston's Johnson poised for big game

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1349...arnote.article

Quote:
BY Brad Biggs
CHICAGO?-- Andre Johnson did a disappearing act near the end of Houston's loss Sunday at Oakland but the Bears are going to see plenty of the Pro Bowl wide receiver come Sunday.

Turns out, coach Gary Kubiak just wanted to get a little more of a look at Jacoby Jones, so Johnson, who struggled against the Raiders' talented cover corners Nnamdi Asomugha and Chris Johnson, was relegated to the sideline late in the game.

After making just two catches for 19 yards, he's primed for a big finale in what has been an impressive offensive season for the Texans. With a career-high 105 receptions, Andre Johnson trails New England's Wes Welker by four catches. He leads the league with 1,427 yards, also a career high, and to put that in perspective, Bears' wide receivers Devin Hester, Rashied Davis, Brandon Lloyd and Marty Booker have combined for 1,531 yards.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston's Johnson poised for big game

i guess Charles Tillman will be on him all day all the rest of the CB are rookies
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

..."houston's johnson"...

pardon my immaturity.
Old 12-26-2008   #4
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
..."houston's johnson"...

pardon my immaturity.
Gotta admit, first thing that came to my mind.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #5
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

FYI....................

Houston is 1-6 when dre doesn't do 70 yards or better...

So the key is..get him the ball EARLY and OFTEN!

Old 12-26-2008   #6
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but, I'd like to know why the HELL Oakland was not a BIG GAME??! Winning our last two would have given us a winning season, plus, a HUGE emotional boost for players and fans going into the off season. Unless AJ has an injury no one knows about, WHY did GK decide to mentally bench him for the Raider game? I just don't understand GK! A fierce competitor goes out to WIN any game, any way possible. You have the best WR in the NFL just coming off one of the best games of his career, and you decide to reward him by essentially taking him OUT of the next game, which was just as important if you're playing for a winning season.

I will NEVER claim to understand the game of football like some of you GUYS, BUT, I'm not stupid either. I'm just old fashioned I guess. Give me some good old smashmouth, hard nosed, ass kicking games anyday over the crap we saw in Oakland! Stay competitive until the END, never give up even when you're down, that's the way I was raised! If GK wants to "evaluate" his players, let him do it during the off season. Hell, he should know by now JJ is a heart attack just waiting to happen! Just ask ANY fan who is watching the guy any time he steps out on the field! Allow your best players to SHINE and make damn sure the weaker one's (JJ) is paying close attention. JMO!

Sorry, just had to vent a little. It's the middle of the night, can't sleep, waiting patiently for 5am so I can hit the after Christmas sales, and it's raining outside!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #7
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

the only way I could see them letting raiders beat them was to keep Oakland as the 3rd best team in their division. In doing that, that allows Houston to play Oakland AGAIN next year. maybe they're already preparing for next year and wanted Oakland to be the team they play. . . (Putting on Tin-foil helmet)
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2008   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Sorry, but, I'd like to know why the HELL Oakland was not a BIG GAME??! Winning our last two would have given us a winning season, plus, a HUGE emotional boost for players and fans going into the off season. Unless AJ has an injury no one knows about, WHY did GK decide to mentally bench him for the Raider game? I just don't understand GK! A fierce competitor goes out to WIN any game, any way possible. You have the best WR in the NFL just coming off one of the best games of his career, and you decide to reward him by essentially taking him OUT of the next game, which was just as important if you're playing for a winning season.

I will NEVER claim to understand the game of football like some of you GUYS, BUT, I'm not stupid either. I'm just old fashioned I guess. Give me some good old smashmouth, hard nosed, ass kicking games anyday over the crap we saw in Oakland! Stay competitive until the END, never give up even when you're down, that's the way I was raised! If GK wants to "evaluate" his players, let him do it during the off season. Hell, he should know by now JJ is a heart attack just waiting to happen! Just ask ANY fan who is watching the guy any time he steps out on the field! Allow your best players to SHINE and make damn sure the weaker one's (JJ) is paying close attention. JMO!

Sorry, just had to vent a little. It's the middle of the night, can't sleep, waiting patiently for 5am so I can hit the after Christmas sales, and it's raining outside!!
It's very hard to throw against Nnamdi Asomugha, who was covering AJ.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care who we are playing Sunday, I want them to win. I DO NOT want another losing season.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #10
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

We aren't going to the playoffs. And realistically, 9-7, 8-8, 7-9... ...all it means at this point is what our draft spot will be. We won't be in the top ten, so we won't have to pay top ten money. So why not see who is worth keeping and who needs replacing at this late date? I wouldn't be surprised to see more back-ups get P/T against the Bears.

And if DeMeco or AJ or OD or SS blows out a knee in a game that means nothing more than draft position we'll all be climbing Kubiak's backside for not sitting them out.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I think that we should play our starters early on maybe through the first half or so and just see what happens and at least try to get a good size lead for our second team. If the game turns into a blow out game early on then just take the starters on out. If we have the lead going into the second half and our second or third stringers hold the lead for us and win the game great because I really want to win this game and go into the offseason at 8-8 and not 7-9. I think at halftime or early in the third to give all of our backups a chance to show us what they have and what key areas does this team need to focus on this offseason and also lessen the chance of any of our starters getting hurt right before the long offseason being that they do not get hurt while they are in the game first half. It is the last game of the season and it does not mean anything besides having a .500 or below. The starters should get a few more reps before they sit down for their long break. I'd like for us to win this game and go into this offseason on some sort of a high note. If we don't win this game oh well, what is there for me to do about it? Just my thoughts here.

Last edited by gary; 12-26-2008 at 11:42 AM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

After what happened to Johnson in the Carolina game last year, I'm all for sitting him out when a game has reached the point of not mattering anymore. I don't want to see anybody get injured unnecessarily in a game that is already decided, and I think that when Johnson went out of that Oakland game, it was at that point.

If the running game is a non-threat for the second week in a row then Johnson better have a pretty freakin huge game if we're going to win.
Old 12-26-2008   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

When I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of Travis Johnson and then thought well it's about damn time.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I wouldn't play AJ much since getting hurt would put a dark shadow on the entire post season with endless speculation and discontent over what amounted to a pretty disappointing year. Kubiak said point blank he wants to look at Jacoby so I can't think of a better time to get something on film against an opponent who is trying to get into the playoffs.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Personally I wouldn't play AJ much since getting hurt would put a dark shadow on the entire post season with endless speculation and discontent over what amounted to a pretty disappointing year. Kubiak said point blank he wants to look at Jacoby so I can't think of a better time to get something on film against an opponent who is trying to get into the playoffs.
true vinny, I posted this on another thread but fits here too

Quote:
Texans could be in the market for a No. 3 WR in offseason

From Profootballweekly.com
By Mike Wilkening
Dec. 24, 2008

One position the Texans could look to bolster in the offseason, the way we hear it, is wide receiver. Starters Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter aren’t going anywhere, but the Texans may add a receiver to complement their top two wideouts. Reserve WRs David Anderson, André Davis and Jacoby Jones all bring a valuable skill to the roster, but none has made a clear case to take the job as his own in 2009. The question of whether to sign a wideout could come down to the Texans’ confidence in Jones; Jones is an emerging star punt returner, but he hasn’t made much of an impact as a receiver in two NFL seasons. Davis, who caught 33 passes for 583 yards and three touchdowns in 2007, has been slowed by a finger injury this season. Anderson has been the most productive of the trio, catching 18 passes for 232 yards and two touchdowns entering Week 17.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...wwhi122408.htm
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I've already said that our starters should sit out in the second half. Any good FA wideouts on the market in 2009?
Old 12-26-2008   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reserve WRs David Anderson, André Davis and Jacoby Jones all bring a valuable skill to the roster, but none has made a clear case to take the job as his own in 2009.
I know that Davis is a good kick returner/coverage specialist. Jones can return/fumble punts. But, what is David Anderson's valuable skill? Really bad end zone dancing on a bi-annual basis?
Old 12-26-2008   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
the only way I could see them letting raiders beat them was to keep Oakland as the 3rd best team in their division. In doing that, that allows Houston to play Oakland AGAIN next year. maybe they're already preparing for next year and wanted Oakland to be the team they play. . . (Putting on Tin-foil helmet)
Diles was out & Adibi was out. We had journeymen LBs with no speed in the second level. Johnson disappeared because the Oakland DBs made him disappear. No one wants to hear that but that was the way it was. The reason we lost the Oakland game.... we abandoned the run early and tried to over come the extra possession the Raiders got on the onside kick by throwing into the teeth of their man over coverage. Rolling the coverage constantly at A.J. Instead of realizing what the Raiders were doing and reestablishing the rushing attack taking back control of the game....they panicked and tried to throw their way back to a turnaround. Which of course, was exactly what Rob Ryan wanted. He could pin the ears back on their De's and LB's and send them.

Kubiack is not a good field general yet. When things go south, so does the game plan.
Old 12-26-2008   #19
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I see him going all over the field on Chicago....it is not going to very much fun for them...lol.....
Andre is on another level....it is scary what this guy can do.....
We are lucky to have a guy of this calibur on our team.....

And a great leader on and off the field too.....class act......

The great thing is he wants to make his teammates better too......just go ask Kevin Walter.....or any of the other recievers.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #20
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I know that Davis is a good kick returner/coverage specialist. Jones can return/fumble punts. But, what is David Anderson's valuable skill? Really bad end zone dancing on a bi-annual basis?
He's cap friendly. He has soft hands of gold and he has the nerves of a thief. Most of his targets are on third down ? Other than that you're correct....go draft a day one guy and up grade the receivers. Over draft a position of strength ?

Look Anderson is never going to make anyone forget Wes Welker. But he isn't copped beef either. When the coach says to him self who can make a critical play for me.....and A.J. is being covered like a blanket....it's amazing how many times David Anderson seems to come through and move the chains.

If Hub Arkin has a source for this let him post it. Otherwise I read this as exactly what I posted last week. We're getting close to the Mathis line on Jacoby Jones. IMHO, this is an end around message to Jacoby. Produce or perish.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-26-2008 at 01:09 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read