Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2005   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im not sure how much longer the Texans plan on waiting for Joppru,
If he can't get on the field this season, he's a goner.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Texans draft another TE. If they don't, that will tell me that they are confident in Joppru's recovery. I don't see them spending $$$ to get a "name" FA TE like last year.

Last edited by aj.; 01-10-2005 at 01:42 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #22
hou059
Veteran

how much cash have they invested in BJ? I would have to think as well he is gone after this season he is unable to play! That's if he can remember how to play. Damn, two seasons in a row and he is hurting our offense. I think the staff should seriously consider looking at a TE in this years draft because unless Jopru comes back then we are left with Miller and Bruener yet again. Hardly a recieving threat.
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #23
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If he can't get on the field this season, he's a goner.
Using that logic, Hollings has basically seen his last day in a Texans uniform.
Old 01-10-2005   #24
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The scary thing is, I dont see any great all around TE's in the draft. Even Heath Miller is more of a catching TE than blocking. I really hope BJ can come back...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #25
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither Miller or Alex Smith are known for their blocking ability. If one of those guys is capable of being the next Tony G, maybe the trade off is something you can live with.
Old 01-10-2005   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I still think we need to address the TE position either way. Even if Joppru is able to make it back and say we gamble on him by not putting any other TE on our roster, and he gets hurt, then we are S.O.L. We need to go with the understanding that guys like Joppru and any other TE we draft or acquire through FA is going to be there for many more years with us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou059
how much cash have they invested in BJ?
Joppru signed a 4 year deal worth a total of $3 mil with a $1.65 mil signing bonus.

Link
Old 01-10-2005   #28
hou059
Veteran

Ehhhhh, that's nothing. There have been bigger trajedies inthe NFL!
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #29
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Joppru signed a 4 year deal worth a total of $3 mil with a $1.65 mil signing bonus.
Why give up on Joppru? Not for financial, or cap reasons.

The signing bonus of $1.65 is gone and while it has been amortized against the cap over 4 years, it will count against the cap. Period. It he is released after training camp, the remaining signing bonus for cap purposes will count 1/2 in 2005 and 1/2 in 2006, exactly the same as if they kept him.

His yearly salary ($3.0 mill - $1.65 mill), or approx $350,000 per year (I would imagine it was slightly less in 2003 and grows until 2006) has already been half paid and counted against the cap. If he is released after training camp, the team would save cash and cap of about $350,000 in each of 2005 and 2006. While on one hand it seems like a lot of money, it is a TINY amount compared to the over $160,000,000 payroll for 2005-6.

It was unfortunate that Joppru had this injury, particularly when he had no previous history of it. It's possible (I imagine) that it is behind him and that while his development has been delayed, he will start to contribute in the future. It's also possible (I imagine) that he will not ever develop as a player, or will have further injury problems. I have no idea. I can't see the money, or cap, as being a factor in the teams decision.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #30
aj.
Hall of Fame

Joppru's base:

2003 225,000
2004 305,000
2005 380,000
2006 460,000

If they did a standard proration on his signing bonus and there are no hidden bonuses, add 409,000 to his '05 and '06 bases to get his cap number. It would cost either 409k per year for two years or 818k this year if he was cut - denending on when he was cut. Pretty much a non issue capwise if you keep him or cut him. The issue is that he's taking up a roster spot and he needs to start producing.
Old 01-10-2005   #31
Mistril48
All Pro

Thank you for the further clarification
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The issue is that he's taking up a roster spot ...
Technically, he didn't cost the Texans a 53 man roster spot these past two years on IR, or PUP. I do agree, however, that we can't have him on the 53 man roster in the future, if he isn't going to contribute.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #32
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
Thank you for the further clarificationTechnically, he didn't cost the Texans a 53 man roster spot these past two years on IR, or PUP. I do agree, however, that we can't have him on the 53 man roster in the future, if he isn't going to contribute.
Yeah i just hope the Texans know something that we don't and that this guy has some real talent. I haven't seen him play at all in college and obviously haven't seen him play in the pro's.

I just hope he is worth the long wait.
Old 01-11-2005   #33
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Technically, he didn't cost the Texans a 53 man roster spot these past two years on IR, or PUP.
I realize that. My point was that he's seemingly in "waiting" and there's been a bit of a void at the position forever, plus he's not contributing, . His injuries are not his fault but it's time to get him on the field or move on.

Last edited by aj.; 01-11-2005 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2005   #34
mulpwr
Rookie

Heath Miller is a better blocking TE then people give him credit for.In 2004 he improved significantly especially with the Cavs relying on the running game so much. He would be an excellent red zone or third down threat. Reminds you a lot of Todd Heap. I don't think the Packers would let him get away if he lasted that long myself since Bubba Franks is a UFA.
mulpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #35
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Franks gets away from GB I will be VERY surprised, so I don't see them drafting Miller. Either one would be great for us to have, but I doubt we have much of a chance to snag them.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #36
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

How can you accuse a player of having "marginal" talent when he has minimal playing time? You can't "produce" if you're not given the opportunity. JMO!!

I just think you have to look at the whole picture. Don't blast one guy on the offense unless you blast them all!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #37
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember right Joppru was said to have the best hands on the team.I think he has worked out in offseason drills and displayed this.
He was drafted ahead of several highly regarded TE's.I hope for his sake he can play and play well.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #38
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijcomm
Using that logic, Hollings has basically seen his last day in a Texans uniform.
Not really. Hollings has appeared in 21 games in two seasons. Joppru has appeared in 0 games in two seasons. One needs to show that he can stay healthy for a full season and the other needs to show that he can make it through training camp.
Old 01-16-2005   #39
Hit Man
Rookie

Default Der-Der-Der

I wondered why the Texan's called the same offensive game plan every single week. They didn't use 3 Wides and a Tightend very much. The offensive line couldn't hold back a pack of mice, so Carr had to dump off to save his life from being Terminated!
Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #40
aj.
Hall of Fame

They used 3 wides and a TE a bunch. But typically that TE was Bruener who wasn't "used" in the manner you implied since he isn't much of a consistent pass catching threat.

When you see what guys like Crumpler, Gates, Gonzalez, Pollard/Clark, Witten, Heap (when healthy), et al can do for the rest of the offense it's easy to see that the glaring void in the Texans offense is not just the OL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read