Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-24-2008   #1
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Percy Harvin

I would love to see this guy line up next to AJ next year. If the Texans want to embrace their role as an elite offensive team a dominating No. 2 reciever would go a long way to "greatest show on turf" territory.

He should be around at the time we pick, and I'd see him as best the player available if Terrence Cody and Brandon Spikes are gone
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Percy Harvin

I think he slides to the 2nd rd. we'll have to see if his measureables scare of some teams from using their 1st on a DeSean Jackson type of slot wr/special teams star........if the Texans are interested he just might be there in the 2nd but I would prefer a more physical, blocking WR similar to AJ. This is my favorite WR in the whole wide country for the Texans, who reminds me of a young, stronger version of Marvin Harrison- Hakeem Nicks

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m..._hakeem00.html
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Nicks and Harvin are both great players and both deserve to be first rounders but we really don't need to draft a receiver.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Harvin doesn't run crisp routes and has size issues. He traps the ball to his chest far too often for my liking and is more of a slot reciever. He is the SEC version of Jacoby Jones. If Percy Harvin is BPA at our pick, we traded out of the first round. Also, there is no need to draft a WR in the first aside from Crabtree. Harvey is a track guy in football pads and seems the next in line for Florida recievers.
Old 12-25-2008   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Harvin doesn't run crisp routes and has size issues. He traps the ball to his chest far too often for my liking and is more of a slot reciever. He is the SEC version of Jacoby Jones. If Percy Harvin is BPA at our pick, we traded out of the first round. Also, there is no need to draft a WR in the first aside from Crabtree. Harvey is a track guy in football pads and seems the next in line for Florida recievers.
I disagree. I think Percy Harvin will be a significant addition to an NFL team almost right away, if not right away.

Don't see much of Jacoby Jones in Percy Harvin.

As for WRs in the first I would take Crabtree, Bryant, Harvin, or Nicks in the first round if I needed a receiver.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I disagree. I think Percy Harvin will be a significant addition to an NFL team almost right away, if not right away.

As for WRs in the first I would take Crabtree, Bryant, Harvin, or Nicks in the first round if I needed a receiver.
speed kills in the NFL, so does small hands as we've found out with Jacoby ball security cannot be overlooked. I'll reserve judgement until the combine but I do expect him to blister the 40 4.25 - 4.35
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

If he is a significant addition to an NFL team it will be on special teams only. He just isn't ready yet. He has elite athleticism but he needs work on the little parts of being a WR. If you don't like the Jacoby comparison, think maybe a Devin Hester potential guy but not quite that level. Would you draft a return man in the first round?
Old 12-25-2008   #8
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No, thanks. Unless McNair is giving up his "no miscreants" policy, there is no way we're taking this guy.

I grew up in Harvin's hometown (Virginia Beach). I came to Houston a dozen years ago but still have family and friends in that area. Harvin was trouble, trouble, trouble coming out of high school. He was suspended almost for as many games as he played. I've heard conflicting reports as to the substance of his issues, but suffice it to say that not even Frank Beamer was particularly interested in recruiting this guy despite his obvious ability.

Now, maybe he found religion or something like that at UF--he seems to have kept his nose clean, but I admit I don't keep up with the Gainesville police blotter.

The guy can definitely play. No doubt about that. But if he does live up to his potential, you can take this to the bank: he will be the next diva/prima-donna WR.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What's Chad Jackson up to these days?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #10
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

After seeing him in the BCS game and with Crabtree and Nicks declaring, Harvin would be there in the second round. Would be a hell of a pickup.
Old 01-11-2009   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see him as an upgrade over Andre Davis
Old 01-11-2009   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Would you draft a return man in the first round?
If he was as good as Hester, hell yes. That guy has won many games for the Bears by just returning punts and kickoffs.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Daniael Manning is the kick returner in Chicago now.
Old 01-11-2009   #14
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Daniael Manning is the kick returner in Chicago now.
Yes, but only until now. Hester has returned many kickoffs in the years past. And the only reason he doesn't return kickoffs anymore because the coaches thought he was getting tired with his increase plays as a reciever.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
I would love to see this guy line up next to AJ next year. If the Texans want to embrace their role as an elite offensive team a dominating No. 2 reciever would go a long way to "greatest show on turf" territory.

He should be around at the time we pick, and I'd see him as best the player available if Terrence Cody and Brandon Spikes are gone
The last thing the Texans need to do is waste their first round pick on a WR when they already have a really good #2 in Kevin Walter.

The Texans would never do that any way, so this is more of a fantasy of yours. The Texans will draft defense and I'll guarantee you that. Our needs on the D line, secondary, and LB position far exceed any other position on the field.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #16
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
The last thing the Texans need to do is waste their first round pick on a WR when they already have a really good #2 in Kevin Walter.

The Texans would never do that any way, so this is more of a fantasy of yours. The Texans will draft defense and I'll guarantee you that. Our needs on the D line, secondary, and LB position far exceed any other position on the field.
Kevin Walter proved in the Oakland game that he isn't a good No. 2. AJ got taken away and Kevin Walter was nothing.

Guy puts up big numbers because he is next to the best WR in football, not because he's a great talent. Adequate but not great.

The offense is built around one player and no team will win championships or playoff games that way
Old 01-11-2009   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

Well said. Even if the top receiver in the draft lasted until 15, I'd prefer to trade down. We have too many pressing needs on defense to upgrade our already #3 or 4 offense
Old 01-11-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Harvin isn't worth a 1st, IMO. At least not to us.

As a pure athlete, he is a great talent. But he just isn't ready to play WR in the NFL. He has the tools, but he is gonna be a guy that only returns kicks for a year or two until he sharpens up his routes. Based on potential, 1st round talent.

If we were going WR, Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, Heyward-Bey, and Nicks are all better picks I think.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #19
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only receiver that I like in the 1st 3 rounds is Crabtree. If he is there at 15, and no suitable trades arise, the Texans have to take a look. The passing attack would be dynamic. Harvin is still a couple years away from being a legit receiver. He does most of his damage (at least against Oklahoma) on the ground.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #20
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Kevin Walter proved in the Oakland game that he isn't a good No. 2. AJ got taken away and Kevin Walter was nothing.

Guy puts up big numbers because he is next to the best WR in football, not because he's a great talent. Adequate but not great.

The offense is built around one player and no team will win championships or playoff games that way

1 game

not to even mention that aso was lined up on him too. what about in GB when harris was doing a good job on aj? or last yr when aj was out etc

schaub, slaton, aj, walter and daniels are plenty good enough to win playoff games after what ive seen the last two weeks.. why waste a pick that NEEDS to go to the defensiv e side of the ball
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read