Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-24-2008   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who would you take?

These are starting to look more and more like the top 10 players

x-QB Matt Stafford, Georgia: Junior has All-Pro arm and has improved each season in tough SEC.

x-QB Sam Bradford, Oklahoma: Accuracy, efficiency off the charts, but how much of it is the system?

x-OT Andre Smith, Alabama: Monster left tackle (6-4, 330) won Outland Trophy

x-OT Michael Oher, Mississippi: Physical specimen can dominate, but inconsistency raises questions.

LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest: Butkus Award winner rising quickly on draft boards

x-WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech: Redshirt sophomore was nation's No. 1 receiver - again.

DE Brian Orakpo, Texas: Pass-rushing ace won Nagurski Award but could play LB in NFL.

CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State: Four-year starter excels in coverage but can tackle, too.

LB Rey Maualuga, USC: Packs punch with size and speed but slowed by injuries in '08.

x-RB Chris Wells, Ohio State: Big, powerful back has his detractors but hard to overlook.

x-Draft-eligible underclassman who has yet to declare.

I figure we will be picking 11 or 12. That leaves us with the possibility that all 3 of these guys could be available when we pick.

Terrence Cody*, Alabama
Height: 6-5. Weight: 365.
Projected 40 Time: 5.50.

B.J. Raji, Boston College
Height: 6-1. Weight: 325.
Projected 40 Time: 5.12.

Eugene Monroe, Virginia
Height: 6-6. Weight: 315.
Projected 40 Time: 5.19.

I dont see anyone (IMO) that could be rated higher than these 3. So who do you pick and why? Or do you see someone left that is rated higher IYO?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would you take?

Terrence Cody by far. He would be the big space eater in the middle that we have always needed.

Brandon Spikes would be a good pick up too
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

E. Brown or Jenkins

Last edited by steelbtexan; 12-24-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: didn't see orakpo
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The teams at the top of the draft really need OL help so this year sets up well for them with 3, maybe 4 very good OT prospects. You never know if one will slip but you can't ever rule it out. If one does, we need to look very hard at them.

It may have been painekiller? that brought up an important thing that was pointed out to me. Regarding the SAM LB position, teams can gameplan by taking him off the field by forcing the defence into nickle/dime packages where the SAM may normally leave the field. So forcing pass happy offenses, he may not be on the field much.

To me, that seems like a really important thing to remember when looking at draft position. With such a high draft pick, you want that player on the field as much as possible and on all downs. I see Brandon Spikes as a really good pass rusher but he may be undersized to move him to DE on 3rd downs.

Players I'm interested in this early for the 1st are top LT's, DE's, DT's and maybe S (Mays) if the previous are gone. I don't think we need to rule out a CB like Jenkins if he's there. I think Reeves, re-signed Dunta, Bennett, Faggins, Moldent may be alright with more play and better help from safeties. 2nd rd pick could be a good one for a S with how players are "projected".

Also in the 2nd, I think some decent DE's may drop. We need a big DT like Raji, and have Okam come in some to keep everyone fresh. At this point we can't afford to groom Okam a few years to be that player.

Hard to tell right now but we should be picking somewhere between 11-15 and will be able to get a really good player. LT, OG, DT, DE, CB, S, LB in any particular order. Trade down maybe look at a top C. But I do think we need to be praying an elite prospect in the TRENCHES falls to us.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #5
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
The teams at the top of the draft really need OL help so this year sets up well for them with 3, maybe 4 very good OT prospects. You never know if one will slip but you can't ever rule it out. If one does, we need to look very hard at them.

It may have been painekiller? that brought up an important thing that was pointed out to me. Regarding the SAM LB position, teams can gameplan by taking him off the field by forcing the defence into nickle/dime packages where the SAM may normally leave the field. So forcing pass happy offenses, he may not be on the field much.

To me, that seems like a really important thing to remember when looking at draft position. With such a high draft pick, you want that player on the field as much as possible and on all downs. I see Brandon Spikes as a really good pass rusher but he may be undersized to move him to DE on 3rd downs.

Players I'm interested in this early for the 1st are top LT's, DE's, DT's and maybe S (Mays) if the previous are gone. I don't think we need to rule out a CB like Jenkins if he's there. I think Reeves, re-signed Dunta, Bennett, Faggins, Moldent may be alright with more play and better help from safeties. 2nd rd pick could be a good one for a S with how players are "projected".

Also in the 2nd, I think some decent DE's may drop. We need a big DT like Raji, and have Okam come in some to keep everyone fresh. At this point we can't afford to groom Okam a few years to be that player.

Hard to tell right now but we should be picking somewhere between 11-15 and will be able to get a really good player. LT, OG, DT, DE, CB, S, LB in any particular order. Trade down maybe look at a top C. But I do think we need to be praying an elite prospect in the TRENCHES falls to us.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I love Cody and Raji but just dont see either as more valuable than one of the top 3 OL should they fall. Now if all 3 ot's are gone I go Cody without hesitating.
Sam Bradford QB 6-4, 220 Oklahoma
Andre Smith OT 6-5, 340 Alabama
Michael Crabtree WR 6-2, 240 Texas Tech
Matthew Stafford QB 6-3, 237 Georgia
Michael Oher OT 6-5, 320 Mississippi
Malcolm Jenkins CB 6-0, 180 Ohio State
Aaron Curry LB 6-2, 240 Wake Forest
Brian Orakpo DE 6-4, 265 Texas
Eugene Monroe OT 6-5, 315 Virginia
Taylor Mays FS 6-3, 225 USC
Terrance Cody DT 6-4 370 Auburn

These are the elite imo. Thing is Cody might stay in school. If that happens and none of these players are available we really need to trade down because the talent level drops off and is pretty much even for the rest of the 1st and early second round.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Players that I think are possible picks at #11 or 12? In no particular order.

Malcolm Jenkins-I wish....Please Santa....highly unlikely.
Aaron Curry-possible and I'd love this pick.
Brian Orakpo-possible but will probably be gone.
Everette Brown-projects more as a 3-4 OLB.
George Selvie-projects as a 3-4 OLB.
Michael Johnson-possible but very risky, he's a project player.
Taylor Mays-I'd love this pick as well.
William Moore-I'll pass, no desire.
Rey Maualuga-possible but I don't think the Texans will go that route.
Chris Wells-possible but I'll pass, good RB's can be had later in the draft.
B.J. Raji-very possible, D-lineman scare me in the 1st round.
Alex Mack-would love to pick him but only if we trade down.
Duke Richardson-same, only if we trade down.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just watching some clips of Michael Johnson and couldn't help but thinking that I bet Kubiak and Smith are going to like him. He's got great measurables and tons of upside. I understand it seems he takes plays off and is pretty inconsistent, lacks production. I'll also be the first to tell you that we need to get a fundamentally sound football player that's not that risky. I just keep thinking, if we're picking at say #12 and most all the 'star' guys are off the board, I wouldn't be surprised if they get enamored with the thought of having Mario and Johnson as our DE's. He just seems pretty risky.
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2008   #8
Ckw

Take this FWIW but Terrence Cody posted on his facebook page that he is returning to school for his senior season.
Old 12-24-2008   #9
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a Cody fan, and I think Michael Johnson has lazy written all over him.

So I am looking for a trade down as option #1.

The player I go for in this exercise is not on your list, Jason Smith OT from Baylor. Sorry Brown but your moving to ORT and Winston becomes a RG.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #10
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Orakpo>Mays>Brown>Raji>Moore
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
The player I go for in this exercise is not on your list, Jason Smith OT from Baylor. Sorry Brown but your moving to ORT and Winston becomes a RG.
Do you feel more comfortable with Brown at RT and Winston at RG or Brown at RG and Winston stay at RT? Do you think Brown would be better at pass protection on the right than Winston is?
Old 12-24-2008   #12
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I would bring Orakpo home to Houston if he's available at whatever spot we pick at.

If not then I would like to trade down and draft Greg Hardy and acouple of more draft picks along with him.

I wouldn't mind going S either, with William Moore. I wouldn't pick safety unless we trade down though.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #13
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not a Cody fan, and I think Michael Johnson has lazy written all over him.

So I am looking for a trade down as option #1.

I'm a Cody fan personally. I think he needs to continue to trim down. I think another 15 pounds or so at the least, but his strengh is un-matched. He Helps the entire front 7. He isn't going to make a lot of plays in the backfield, but that isn't his job. He is an ideal NG in the 3-4 or a NT in the 4-3. We have two UT's starting next to each other, and while it's clear Amobi has tons of talent, he needs a bigger NT type next to him.

I wouldn't touch Michael Johnson. I would take Mack or Robinson 10 spots early before I thought about Johnson.

I haven't watched much Baylor this year (has anyone?) as I haven't had much need to honestly. I probably won't watch more than a game or two the entire offseason unless it's against a real team, and even then, I keep telling myself that it's Baylor.

Now, as far as Smith: No. Quite simply, no. I do not want another Duane Brown. I want someone who is physically ready and has been on the "scene" for a while. Why? Because they are good enough to be noticed early in their careers. They didn't just "jump" into the 1st round talk. They have all the physical tools of an elite OT and continued to polish their game at a high level with much higher scrutiny.
Old 12-24-2008   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post

x-OT Michael Oher, Mississippi: Physical specimen can dominate, but inconsistency raises questions. I think Oher is the best fit followed by Monroe. Smith is the best player, but he will be gone for sure and could have a problem adapting to zone reads and rail blocks. I think Oher is physically ready and has all the tools. I think he becomes instant value at our spot.

LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest: Butkus Award winner rising quickly on draft boards A very safe pick. At worst he should be a solid starter who can earn a starting spot as a rookie and should be entrenched on any team from there on out. He has the ability to shed blockers and from what I have watched thus far, does a good job of reading OG's pulls. A solid tackler, though he needs to hit more straight on instead of wrapping around and throwing down; better said as he needs to drive through the end of tackles more often.

DE Brian Orakpo, Texas: Pass-rushing ace won Nagurski Award but could play LB in NFL. I'm a little warry of him. I don't know if I'm ready to commit that kind of money to a DE with one speciality.

CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State: Four-year starter excels in coverage but can tackle, too. A lot will be found out when he runs the cone drills and against UT in the Bowl Game. He has good enough straight line speed, and I think he is similar to Aquib Talib last year talent wise. I think Jenkins is more polished, but may be best suited for the Cover-2 type defense.

LB Rey Maualuga, USC: Packs punch with size and speed but slowed by injuries in '08. The question becomes where do you put him? Do you put him outside of Ryans? Do you move Ryans outside? He screams 3-4 ILB. Such a talent. He needs to work on reading the play better; at times he looks hesitant until he decides on the read. He needs to show a better ability to shed blockers at his size. Amazing physical talent. Second best LB in the draft behind Curry, followed by Spkies of Florida.

Eugene Monroe, Virginia
Height: 6-6. Weight: 315.
Projected 40 Time: 5.19.
A very good talent out of a school that produces linemen. I don't think he has the natural talent of Fergueson, but he uses what he has better. He moves well laterally, but is likely to do better developing one more year. Mid-first round talent right now who could slip further. Similar to Oher last year with physical abilities and development. Should be a top 10 type player next year and an instant starter in the NFL if he returns another year to school.
My stuff in RED.
Old 12-24-2008   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Monroe is a Senior.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Monroe is a Senior.
I was going with what was posted. Disregard my comments. I still think he needs more time to develop before he is NFL starter ready than Oher and Smith.
Old 12-24-2008   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I want someone who is physically ready and has been on the "scene" for a while. Why? Because they are good enough to be noticed early in their careers. They didn't just "jump" into the 1st round talk. They have all the physical tools of an elite OT and continued to polish their game at a high level with much higher scrutiny.
You just described Robert Gallery a few years ago. That worked out well.
Old 12-24-2008   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Do you feel more comfortable with Brown at RT and Winston at RG or Brown at RG and Winston stay at RT? Do you think Brown would be better at pass protection on the right than Winston is?
Winston has slow feet, has had them since his days at Miami, Brown has shown me quicker feet.

So based on the feet, I move Winston to OG hoping to hide his slow feet in pass blocking.

BTW for the record, Winston is my favorite Texans, I love his attutude and work ethic. So I am not dogging the man.
Old 12-24-2008   #19
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You just described Robert Gallery a few years ago. That worked out well.
That's the nature of the draft my friend. You have to consider how much he helped the team and who he competed against. You have to weigh his strengths. It also helps if you aren't drafted by Al Davis, but in the end the draft is just a crapshoot. Talent is obvious, but not all talent is cut out to play in the NFL in the end.
Old 12-24-2008   #20
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
E. Brown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oJYor1SsA

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read