Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2008   #1
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bears game meaning?

I'm obviously hoping for and expecting a win this Sunday during the Texans - Bears match up, but since a winning season is out of the question and a six game win streak is not a possibility, what should we hope for Sunday?

Finishing 8-8 after our horrible start should mean something and going out on a high note while having some impact on the NFC play-off picture might make this somewhat intriguing, although I'm a little tired of the insignificant moral victories. This game might give us an opportunity to take one last look at some players and coaches before the off season, free agency and the draft. Now with that being said 60 sacks Sunday could not convince me that Richard Smith belongs anywhere above Pop Warner and without a doubt not 100 miles from the franchise.

Even post "cool-down" period I'm still blown away by our performance against the Raiders. It has knocked all of the wind out of my sails and I find myself wondering: Should we field the best team we have or shuffle things up and look around for a diamond in the rough somewhere?
Old 12-23-2008   #2
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bears game meaning?

Well just heard an ESPN person said the Bears will beat the Texans.
I think not.
This game has a lot of meaning because if we lose I have to deal with all offseason that the last Texans game I saw was a Loss
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #3
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1541 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Surely you don't think that beating the bears will change the opinions of ESPN talking heads... I would love to see Smith Fired this week and replaced with an assistant or ball boy and showing a little accountibility. Even if we lossed to the Bears I would feel better knowing that our Defense was going to be changed.
Old 12-23-2008   #4
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Well just heard an ESPN person said the Bears will beat the Texans.
I think not.
This game has a lot of meaning because if we lose I have to deal with all offseason that the last Texans game I saw was a Loss
The Bears game means nothing. Winning the last game will not secure a winning season. This years Texans were no better than last years.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #5
Bull Pen 1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1621 Bull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBull Pen 1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets look at the bright side of things. Last year we got our receiving core together, this year we got a running back. Now all we need to do next year is get our qbs together. Even though we lost to the Raiders, our defense has stepped it up in the prior few weeks, except last week. Even if we only cut over qb turnovers in half we will make the playoffs next year.
Bull Pen 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
The Bears game means nothing. Winning the last game will not secure a winning season. This years Texans were no better than last years.
Yeah, but it'll prevent us from taking a step back.......7-9 is a step in the wrong direction.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Unlike last years season finale in Reliant when the Jags came to town resting their starters because they were already in the playoffs, this year the Bears come to Reliant needing to win to keep their hopes alive for a playoff berth.
In other words, if we win Sunday we will have a legitimate victory and not have "backed" into a .500 record as we did last year. Should make for a more interesting game, a more spirted contest this weekend.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2008   #8
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a must win game for the Bears.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The meaning of the Bears game is crystal clear to me. It's the difference between being losers again or not.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Either come out balls to wall or roll over like a $2 <street walker>.

Pretty simple really - what identity do we want to establish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #11
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Yeah, but it'll prevent us from taking a step back.......7-9 is a step in the wrong direction.
So true. We have to at least do .500 again.
And, we get to play our favorite position...spoiler.

(Draft a QB and get a proven old-school, gritty and hard core QB to sit him behind to learn, Kubes!)
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #12
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree with you a little. I said at the beginning of the year that I thought the Texans could finish 7-9 and still be a better team than last year because of the schedule. I believe this is a better team overall than the one that finished 8-8 last year. I'm just disappointed in how it has happened with lousy schemes, no continuity of offense, not very good game management .....

The fact that it took the team at least half this season to pick up where it left off last year concerns me. I can only point to coaching. What do you think?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

At least if we win against the Bears we won't have to hear that the game was given to us. The Bears must win Sunday in order to have a chance to get in the playoffs. They will be coming to punch us in the face. The question is, will we see the team that punched back against the tits? Or the team that Carr-ed after being popped in the face by the Raiders?
Old 12-23-2008   #14
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

This will be a hard game for us to win. The Bears will be playing for the playoffs and we won't be playing for much of anything. I wish I could say we would come out and play well for pride but, I'm not so sure of that because too many of the guys have been on losing teams that they might be getting used to it and I believe there has to be some who have lost some confidence in the coaching. Add the Bears defense to that equation and I think it'll be a difficult game for Matt. If he struggled against the Raiders defense, I think a very motivated Bears defense will prove an even more difficult task. Hope the team proves me wrong.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #15
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This years Texans were no better than last years.
I have to severely disagree with you here. One could argue the Texans
had the toughest start of ANY team in recent history. It's the first
team in about 30 years to start four consecutive games against teams
coming off the playoffs.

Not only that, no team in recent history started a stretch like that ALL
ON THE ROAD. Hurricane Ike was not a figment of one's imagination.
So, the team starts 0-4 against 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league.
Yes, Jacksonville stunk this year, that's because they caught the injury
bug we had last year.

This team could have quit after 0-4, but they fought and got to 3-4.
When that happened, Jared Allen sentenced us to 4 games with Sage
as our starter. Our offense IS NOT a top 5 unit with Sage in the game.
With a defense as bad as ours, we NEED a top flight offense to compensate.
At 3-7, when they were effectively OUT of the playoff race, they could have
quit again, but FOUGHT to 7-7. This does NOT look like a team with "nothing
to play for."

However, last years team did NOT have:
The ability to put up massive yards on ANY team in the league
A franchise running back
An offensive line stay healthy the ENTIRE SEASON
A starting safety tandem with ANY ball skills whatsoever
A speedy linebacker (Adibi)
Defensive line depth
Confidence they COULD compete with the #1 seed.
Any competitive games against the Titans and Colts

That's just a few differences in this year's team and last. It was said before,
and it bears repeating: "The Texans have a better team than last year,
but the record doesn't reflect it." The thing that encourages me about this
team, is that the players were FURIOUS after the loss to the Raiders. They
were more dejected than any fan could be. In Schaub's post-game presser
you could see the disgust on his face.

This team HAS grown up from last year. They KNOW and they EXPECT
to perform at a high level. Yeah, folks. This young team is gonna be good
for a long time. The bandwagon is getting a paint job in the off season, and
will need heavy-duty shocks installed to support you next season.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #16
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This team HAS grown up from last year. They KNOW and they EXPECT
to perform at a high level. Yeah, folks. This young team is gonna be good
for a long time. The bandwagon is getting a paint job in the off season, and
will need heavy-duty shocks installed to support you next season.
Amen! You panic-stricken folks can jump off if you like but I'm not giving up my seat on the bandwagon.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't be too surprised if we see some new faces in this game. Kubiak will probably use this game to see who gets to stay and who gets walking papers next season.
Now that the winning season thing is out the window, what else is there to do but evaluate the untried younguns against a team that's fighting for its playoff life? I mean what's more important at this stage, getting to 8-8 or seeing who you have that's worth keeping? That's what I'd do.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a huge game for the Texans, finishing out the season at 8-4 is a statement in itself, no matter how salty you are with the final record. Moreover, when one adds in the meaning of the game for the Bears it means this will be no walk in the park.

We should have beat the Raiders, but this team has overcome adversity this year in spite of its poor coaching and personnel at certain positions. Regardless of what happens on Sunday, this season was a disappointment and Kubiak should be on the hot seat for next year if he does not make the necessary changes this offseason. Even juggernauts make changes, conservatism is dead in the transient and copy cat NFL.
Old 12-23-2008   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I suppose you could find meaning in any game but big picture no, nothing really of consequence for the Texans this Sunday.

I would like to see a couple things though:
1. What Jacoby has as a reciever. I mean like, 5-7 balls thrown his way. Sink or swim.
2. Molden as a corner. It's time.
3. In the postgame press conference I want to see Richard Smith fired. Yeah, that quickly.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I suppose you could find meaning in any game but big picture no, nothing really of consequence for the Texans this Sunday.

I would like to see a couple things though:
1. What Jacoby has as a reciever. I mean like, 5-7 balls thrown his way. Sink or swim.
2. Molden as a corner. It's time.
3. In the postgame press conference I want to see Richard Smith fired. Yeah, that quickly.
Molden is on the IR with a broken ankle.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read