Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2004   #1
tom1354788
Rookie

Default Babin the key to our season

Just a thought, but the more I contemplate the upcoming season the more I see Babin being the key and measure of how we are going to do.

The way I see it, its now year 3 time for Carr to release his potential, but im not expecting anything exceptional, (a improvement but nothing too eye opening)

Davis I fully expect to do well, and improve with round 1200 to 1300 yards.

A.J to put in another solid year with around 1100 yards, even with him being double teamed more often.

From what I gather on the boards this seems to be a pretty acurate of the expectations for next year, and with these sort of figures I see us being ranked round about 15-20.

But the diffrence in our game that may put us in the mix for a playoff bearth is having a descent pass rush. Something that we just have not had up till now. Now I know Babin is a rookie and the weight of expectations on him are going to be high, especially seeing what we gave up to get him, but I feel the beter he does, the further the team can reach.

So what do you all reckon:

Do you see Babin starting?
Do you see him doing well?
Do you see our pass rush improving even without Babin this year?
What value do you put on us having a descent pass rush (considering our other talants/weaknesses)?
tom1354788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #2
J-Man
Veteran

1st off I think saying that Babs is the key to our sucess for the season maybe overeaching to say the least. It is critical that we upgrade our pass rush, however, I think even with out his presence it will have improved from las year; if for no other reason than us keeping our guys healthy.

Babs will start, and show a high motor and good effort...probably getting a few sacks and several pressures in the process. We will also see him get schooled several times by solid veteran lineman. That's just how it goes.

Don't get me wrong...if he comes out and posts double digit sacks I will be buying the next keg and the tailgate! I am just trying to be realistic.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #3
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think its never a good idea to say that a season's success or failure is based on the play of one particular rookie. Rookies take time to develop, and its unrealistic to expect them to be the savior their first season in the league. Its more of a situation where any contributions that the player can make is just an added bonus. One player won't drastically improve a pass rush. However, I feel the return of Gary Walker and Seth Payne along the DLine, and the acquisition of Smith will drastically improve our defensive pass rush. Remember that in our first season Walker earned a spot on the Pro Bowl with his pass rushing skills. Also, a good pass rush can make the secondary and defense as a whole look a lot better. But I think the key here is to keep a realistic perspective on this whole situation. I think Babin has a good chance of starting, but don't rule out Antwan Peek starting in the first few games if Babin's transition to OLB is a little slow. I don't think he'll put up extravagant numbers as a rookie, in part because hes making a leap from Western Michigan to the NFL, and he's switching positions at that. Look for him to put up anywhere between 5 to 9 sacks if he's healthy, and perhaps an interception. I'm much more interested in seeing how Robinson does this season. Will he have an excellent rookie season like Seatle's Marcus Trufant, or will he have a slow and uneventful season of learning the NFL game?
texasguy346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #4
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

I agree with J-man and texasguy.

An improved pass rush is going to be necessary for the Texans to go 8-8, much less contend for the playoffs, but Babin isn't the biggest change in that regard for 2004.
Having a healthy Walker and Payne is more important than Babin.
Having a healthy secondary (especially Glenn) is more important than Babin.
Adding Robaire Smith is more important than Babin.

Don't get me wrong. I think Jason Babin can be a major contributor as a rookie. However, there are other factors that will be even more important to an improved pass rush in 2004.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Jason Babin will start, he will make an impact(not much in coverage), and he will improve the pass rush.

But dont expect him to be the anchor on D or the reason the Texans make the playoffs, if they make the playoffs. He will be a good addition to the pass rush and he will have 6-12 sacks but dont expect him to come in and be dominant this year. Too much pressure to put on any rookie, even the man who decides who he gets drafted by(Eli) and he soldier(K2).
Old 05-31-2004   #6
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1354788
But the diffrence in our game that may put us in the mix for a playoff bearth is having a descent pass rush. Something that we just have not had up till now. Now I know Babin is a rookie and the weight of expectations on him are going to be high, especially seeing what we gave up to get him, but I feel the beter he does, the further the team can reach.
Robinson should be the one with pressure. He is replacing a CB who feasibly could start at LCB one to two more years. Whoe is Babin replacing? Babin will have less pressure than Robinson. I hope they both contribute. It is hard to ask so much of a rookie who is really just trying to get used to the speed of the NFL game and will occasionally show flashes of brilliance.

Don't forget we have Peek and Orr. They may not be the same athlete as Babin, but I remember seeing good things from these two. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to belittle Babin's role. I just think there are other options to consider if he isn't quite ready.
Old 05-31-2004   #7
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

to answer your questions:

Do you see Babin starting? if he shows any amount of promise in the preseason, he will start...the only thing that can stop him is injury or ungodly play from peek or orr...
Do you see him doing well? he will have struggles his first few games, but as the season wears on, he will impress more than a few...i estimate 75 tackles and 8 sacks...
Do you see our pass rush improving even without Babin this year? this is pretty much insured by the return of a healthy payne and walker and the addition of robaire smith...
What value do you put on us having a descent pass rush (considering our other talants/weaknesses)? a good pass rush can be the difference between a defense ranked 30th and a defense that is ranked 15th...it also opens up the field for our DB's...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2004   #8
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
to answer your questions:

Do you see him doing well? he will have struggles his first few games, but as the season wears on, he will impress more than a few...i estimate 75 tackles and 8 sacks...
:
75 T's and 8 sacks...might be shooting a little high. I agree that he will struggle and somewhere around the back half of the season we will see him getting up on the learning curve, but 75/8 is a pretty good year for a 3/4 OLB. Hope that it happens, but hope is not a method.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #9
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

We might have said the same thing about Stacey Mack before last season. We did alright without him.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see how Babin will be the key and measure of how we are doing this year...he is a rookie coming straight into the NFL who will be starting his first year and who is making a transition from one position to another.
Old 06-02-2004   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say David Carr's performance and consistent pressure on the opposing QB (regardless of who applies it) are the two primary keys to the season.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #12
texanfan1
Rookie

Default is babin going to be that good

do you think babin will ever be an elite pass rusherundefined
texanfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #13
texanfan1
Rookie

is baben going to be that good
texanfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #14
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

I think he has the capability to put up double digits sacks, but not for a year or two

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #15
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

For us to be a successful team this year our "star" players have to play up to that level and some of our young and average players has to have an exceptional year. We are still in a point in our development where we cannot rely on any one player, much less a rookie.
Old 06-28-2004   #16
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I think it is too much to ask for both Babin and Robinson to have big years. They are rookies. One of them is starting a new position too.

Optimism is great but don't set yourself up for a freefall in expectations if these rookies don't live up to your desires.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #17
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Football is the epitome of a "team game." Babin is a peice of it. But I wouldnt put the sucess of the season on the boy.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he does just so J-Man can plunk down that keg

It's exciting just to imagine Babin having that kinda impact, but the Texans play a team game everybody relies on each other so the most important factor is they all continue to work hard, improve as a team and avoid any of those season ending injury's. Dreaming a little- its not out of the realm that Jason has an all-rookie year & leads the team with 8 sacks. If some want to say that Babin is key to the Texans success I don't see any problem with that, he seems to have good leadership abilities, is mature and not concerned about egos or money matters.

When does the season start? Let's GO TEXANS
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #19
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

the success of the season doesn't rely souly on robinson or babin's success...no it's rests on the whole team...babin and robinson are only pieces of that team...the team, the coaches, and the admin's will make the success of the team...any given sunday will be the key to our success...can we win the games we're supposed to win and a few we're not...that's the key gentleman...not a player...but the game
Old 06-28-2004   #20
jhawktx
Rookie

Anytime you are counting on a rookie as your make or break guy for your season (and a defensive rookie at that), you are hurting. No way is he the key to our season.
jhawktx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read