Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-20-2008   #1
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 27237 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Alex Gibbs 3.0

This thread is not intended to take anything at all away from Steve Slaton.

However lets show Gibbs some love. There was a lot of talk about Gibbs at the begining of the season, but after that tough stretch after the first few games it was looking grimm, and Gibbs hasn't been brought up as much. Now after ears with out a running game to speak of we have our first 1,000 yard rusher since Davis/Williams.

So lets review:
Denver
Atlanta
and now Houston

I'm not one for playing with nature, but for goodness sake lets get some DNA and clone this guy for the future of the Texans.

I think the system has obviousley been getting implemented better through out the year. If there is any room to improve just imagine what is in store. The only problem we have had is against big smash mouth Defenses, which I believe is one of the shortcomings of the system, but we did do OK against the Tacks.

Anyway this holiday I'm thankful for my family, my health, my job, and Alex Gibbs! Merry Christmas Alex!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2008   #2
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Gibbs 3.0

Agreed, I'm sure the system is largely behind the amazing season Slaton has had. I remember seeing Chester Pitts on anatomy of a play, and he didn't have anything to say about the ZBS or Gibbs which wasn't a shining endorsement for what it has done to our running game this year.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #3
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5772 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Agreed, I'm sure the system is largely behind the amazing season Slaton has had. I remember seeing Chester Pitts on anatomy of a play, and he didn't have anything to say about the ZBS or Gibbs which wasn't a shining endorsement for what it has done to our running game this year.
I don't know that Pitts is fully on board with the ZBS...I notice him not cutting when I think he would be cutting and stays engaged with his defender a little longer than he should...I'm not a ZBS expert by any means...just my opninion.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #4
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
I don't know that Pitts is fully on board with the ZBS...I notice him not cutting when I think he would be cutting and stays engaged with his defender a little longer than he should...I'm not a ZBS expert by any means...just my opninion.
Not commenting on his play, just a general perception of how the system has been taken on board on the players.
Old 12-20-2008   #5
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5772 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
Not commenting on his play, just a general perception of how the system has been taken on board on the players.
No, I understood, I think I was leaning a little more to the big picture in that the ZBS takes some time to get used to, and how it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Pitts being one of those that I personally see "forgetting" technique at times. Then again, I don't know enough about the ZBS to know for sure if he's got his assignment down or not.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #6
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
No, I understood, I think I was leaning a little more to the big picture in that the ZBS takes some time to get used to, and how it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Pitts being one of those that I personally see "forgetting" technique at times. Then again, I don't know enough about the ZBS to know for sure if he's got his assignment down or not.
Agreed, I think it has taken a fair bit of getting used to, and probably invovled a level of 'relearning' for veterens which would have been (and probably still is) quite challenging. That said, I've had very little chance to watch the o-line this year in detail, so there are probably others with a better idea on individual performances, rather than just the running numbers and stats.

Either way, for a near total rehaul of the running game (in RB personel, and schemes used) we've done amazingly, and a large part of that is due to Mr Gibbs.
Old 12-20-2008   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense is coming together and the only real weakness it has is OL and RB depth. There is currently no one on the roster who could backup Myers or Brown for any extended amount of time competantly.

Factor in Gibbs isnt likely to be around much longer, now might be the time to complete our OL. Lucky for us this is a deep draft for the OL.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2008   #8
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Though I think Gibbs should get much of the credit, I still believe it was a combination of things that has made the difference. One thing was getting a healthy O-line, that's played together all year, to gel and play as a unit. It took awhile but I think they are coming together nicely. Next was getting a back, Slaton, who is fast and fits the system. I think Greene fit the system too but he just can't stay healthy. And finally, getting the Coach/Guru, Gibbs, who can teach and put it all together. If you take away one of the three it may not work. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read