Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-19-2008   #1
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tattletales: NFL teams ask for text messages about rowdy fans

Tattletales: NFL teams ask for text messages about rowdy fans

I'm starting to have a problem with the NFL. I am a football fan and have been all of my life. Throughout all this time, the fans have never changed or at least the fans I like have never changed. We're loud, obnoxious, and unruly. Basically, we're passionate about our team.

Do I give people who wear the opposing team’s jersey a hard time? You're DAMN RIGHT I DO! And, they disserve every bit of what I give them. I don't go to their stadium so STAY THE $#%& OUT OF MINE!!!

Football stadiums have never been a place for children and I've never understood the reasoning behind wanting to bring kids to a football game. Basically, your kid is going watch 22 men tear each other to shreds for 3 hours. Along the way, they may get to see a players shred his knee, possible a compound fracture, or if they’re lucky, a hit so devastating that leaves a man paralyzed for the rest of his life. Is this wholesome family fun or what?

If you want spend the day with the family, go to the museum, the zoo or a nice walk in the park and STAY THE $#%& AWAY FROM MY FOOTBALL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tattletales: NFL teams ask for text messages about rowdy fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Football stadiums have never been a place for children and I've never understood the reasoning behind wanting to bring kids to a football game.
Everyone has an opinion. I 1000% disagree with that one. I will admit, I am much less concerned about what my children see than many parents. I try to teach them right and wrong, not hide all wrong from them.
Old 12-19-2008   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I think certainly people should be able to take their kids to a game without fear or worrying about being harrassed.

Come on.....most kids idolize sports stars and I bet there are a ton on here that went to Oilers games when they were kids and I bet they treasure those memories. In fact I know that is true because I've read that on here.

Why bother somebody just because they are wearing an opponent's jersey? Huh? What kind of logic is that? What kind of sportsmanship is that? If they aren't bothering you why bother them? That I don't get at all...

Didn't the Texans have a group or groups of fans go to Green Bay? Were they harassed because they had on Texans gear? What kind of message does that send? I believe they were treated nicely and with respect.

And they walked out of there with a great experience.

Football stadiums HAVE to be a place for kids. If they aren't then you have no future generation of fans. I get the being rowdy and fired up and all that but treat people with respect and they'll come back.

And just maybe the fan base will be one that is thought of as being one of the best...like the Packer Nation.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I think certainly people should be able to take their kids to a game without fear or worrying about being harrassed.

Come on.....most kids idolize sports stars and I bet there are a ton on here that went to Oilers games when they were kids and I bet they treasure those memories. In fact I know that is true because I've read that on here.

Why bother somebody just because they are wearing an opponent's jersey? Huh? What kind of logic is that? What kind of sportsmanship is that? If they aren't bothering you why bother them? That I don't get at all...

Didn't the Texans have a group or groups of fans go to Green Bay? Were they harassed because they had on Texans gear? What kind of message does that send? I believe they were treated nicely and with respect.

And they walked out of there with a great experience.

Football stadiums HAVE to be a place for kids. If they aren't then you have no future generation of fans. I get the being rowdy and fired up and all that but treat people with respect and they'll come back.

And just maybe the fan base will be one that is thought of as being one of the best...like the Packer Nation.
Agreed 100%. My best memories of time with my dad involve going to Oiler games. I'd rep you if I could.
Old 12-19-2008   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the BIG reasons I'm a NFL fan is because my Father took me to games at the dome and if I did see something funky, I just saw the world as it was. My Dad was smart enough to explain away or render a lesson out of just about any behavior.

I think the text message idea is a good one. If you have a quick and easy way to let the people in charge know you have a problem I'm all for it. I just expect them to come in and be impartial.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #6
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm starting to have a problem with the NFL. I am a football fan and have been all of my life. Throughout all this time, the fans have never changed or at least the fans I like have never changed. We're loud, obnoxious, and unruly. Basically, we're passionate about our team.

Do I give people who wear the opposing team’s jersey a hard time? You're DAMN RIGHT I DO! And, they disserve every bit of what I give them. I don't go to their stadium so STAY THE $#%& OUT OF MINE!!!

Football stadiums have never been a place for children and I've never understood the reasoning behind wanting to bring kids to a football game. Basically, your kid is going watch 22 men tear each other to shreds for 3 hours. Along the way, they may get to see a players shred his knee, possible a compound fracture, or if they’re lucky, a hit so devastating that leaves a man paralyzed for the rest of his life. Is this wholesome family fun or what?

If you want spend the day with the family, go to the museum, the zoo or a nice walk in the park and STAY THE $#%& AWAY FROM MY FOOTBALL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're starting to have a problem with the NFL? Well some of us are starting to have a problem with obnoxious fans. You don't have to be obnoxious to "be passionate about your team".

The text messaging solution is a good idea. Too much bad behavior and you'll get what you "disserve", as you put it.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Agreed 100%. My best memories of time with my dad involve going to Oiler games. I'd rep you if I could.
Thanks I appreciate it...
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2008   #8
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all remember this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
Yep I got thrown out of the Bull Pen today. First some guy at the gate had to check with his supervisor over my hat then some Part time employee found it necessary to escourt me out of the Bull Pen for standing. Yep I got thrown out of my seat for exercising my Bull Pen right and standing. I hate those ticket broker seats behind mine. I try to be a good fan and stand for the whole game in the Bull Pen and some yellow jacket that doesn't know the Bull Pen rules tells me to sit down or I will be thrown out of the stadium. Now mind you half the bull Pen stands for the whole game but some little dweeb behind me wanted to pretend he was at home on his couch. So from about half way through the 2nd quarter till the end of the game I stood up top at the rail.

It was just the begining. Its going to get worse.

The NFL is trying to become a "family" sport just like the NHL. Well the NHL failed misurably and ruined hockey in the process.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

The article brings up a great point about how to tell real problems from ones that aren't. It's going to be an interesting juggling act for sure.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I think you're missing the point or maybe I'm missing yours.

If there is no "family" in NFL stadiums there is no NFL. Period.

People want to be able to take their kids to games and share that.
Old 12-19-2008   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Y'all remember this thread:

It was just the begining. Its going to get worse.
I agree with you on some of your issues like standing. I defended someone being asked to sit down at the Monday night game and I sit on the front row so I don't need to stand--I think the ticket buys you the right to stand or sit.

I just disagree on the family thing. Sporting events are traditional family events. When did supporting your team become X rated?
Old 12-19-2008   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like this topic is brought up every three months.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008   #13
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 9776 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

there is a difference between giving opposing fans a hard time and just being an ***.

i dont mind getting ripped on in enemy territory, in fact i love to give it right back; but throwing beers, starting fights stuff like that is not acceptable - its a damn GAME
Old 12-20-2008   #14
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
there is a difference between giving opposing fans a hard time and just being an ***.

i dont mind getting ripped on in enemy territory, in fact i love to give it right back; but throwing beers, starting fights stuff like that is not acceptable - its a damn GAME
Exactally, thats where the issue is. Knowing where to draw the line. Where does banter end, and abuse begin? I haven't been to an NFL game in the states, and am therefore unqualified to make judgements regarding how 'bad' the state of things over there are. Fights between fans (especially inside the stadium) are totally unacceptable. Shouting obscene things to another fan, should also not be tollerated. Joking style comments thrown between fans is one thing, personal and grotesque shouting at other people is just going to ruin many peoples day, and has nothing to do with being passionate about your team.

We've had the same issues in England, abeit on a (probably) more violent scale. At my club alone we've gone from monkey noises being shouted at black players within the past 25 years (and it still happens to our national team from some opposing fans), to questions of anti-semetic chanting, homophobic abuse (for ironically enough, someone who wasn't gay, just refused to adopt the playboy lifestyle of a footballer), and when that is mixed in with issues of football hooliganism, I think a football game in the American sense has been a far safer and more approapriate place to take a young 'un anyway.

With this in mind, a drunkern jackass shouting rubbish at people to try and goad them into a fight, or just try and upseet/anger them would not be something I like to see, as an adult, so I don't think this is limited to a child-only issue. Telling someone their o-line is more pourous than a sieve is one thing, but telling someone "STAY THE $#%& OUT" of a stadium they are perfectly entitled to go to is another.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

After the Colt game a Colt fan was talking smack about how PM just shut us up again.

I politely asked him if he knew where the he** he was & that it might be a good idea for him to shut the ******* up.

I dont know if this was out of line or not but he did take my advice.

There is nothing wrong with being rowdy. You should watch what you say in front of kids. (There were no kids around Colt Fan) but standing up & making noise with cowbells or clanging 2 beer bottles together should be acceptable.

I wonder what the perfect crowd for the NFL suits is? I think the NFL is going to lose the most passionate fans that come to the games because they dont have to worry about what they do or say is going to offend someone @ ther backyard BBQ.

This will be the start of the downfall of the NFL's popularity IMO.

If you take your kids to the game point out to them that drinking to much can make you act like the guy that is being an A-HOLE. The game can be used as an educational tool.

I believe the NFL has changed the rules of behavior @ games compared to the 70-80's (wussified).

The game has became more of a corporate event. They have priced out the average fan & if the average fan does come to the game they are expected to act like the corporate suits. Gameday @ the stadium is no longer fo the average fan.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Certain parts of the stadium should be used as KNOWN sections for rowdy fans. For instance the Bull Pen should be allowed to stand all game and get crazy with their fanaticism. And you should know that bringing your kid into the Bull Pen is entering at your own risk in that regard.

But other sections, like the 500's, should be somewhat safe to bring your kids to the game. I am a fan of the NFL because of my childhood and going to Oilers games with my folks. I don't want to take that away from my boy, but I know where and where not to take him at a game.

We can have the best of both worlds with compromise.

Oh, and realize that booze is probably responsible for 90% of the fights and trouble causes at games. Some people just can't handle their liquor without becoming obnoxious jerks. That's just life.
Old 12-20-2008   #17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

this has to be the worst post i've ever seen.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #18
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 9776 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

ive been to the Cleveland game this year and everyone was great. Got some "ribbing" and trash talk but nothing serious, all in good fun. (they were more pissed at their QBs lol)

been to a bills game - some of those fans are just looking for a fight, but overall they are okay.

Old 12-20-2008   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Been a football fan since I was 6 y/o. I use to sit on my Mom's lap and listen to the games on the radio, long before the day and age of TV. To say that pro ball is not for kids is just ludicrous. Kids PLAY the damn game, so why is it so bad for them to go see the real thing!!? Hagar, I simply do not understand your post. Our kids are the future of the NFL in every aspect.

I have had season tickets in the Bullpen for 7 years now, and I have taken all my grandchildren to the games. Aaron was 9 when the Texans took the field for the first time. He is 16 now, plays the game, and I hope loves it as much as his grandmother. The memories I share with that boy will follow us both for the rest of our lives. Some good, some not so good. BUT, the bottom line is, we have shared something very special the past 7 years. After I have gone on to football heaven, I know he will remember the good times we had. His first pro game was the HOF game in Canton in 2002, a fantastic experience shared with his grandmother.

I simply cannot imagine not being able to share my love for the game with the people I love most.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #20
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with kids at games - in fact I think it is pretty cool that kids can share something they enjoy with their parents and not be embarrassed to be with them. Having said that, I attended the New Orleans game this year. As I was going to my seat I heard, "Go home Texas B**ch." I turned around and there was this 12ish year old child yelling at me. His voice hadn't even changed yet. Mind you, I'm old enough to be this kid's grandmother. I haven't a clue where his parents were so I took it upon myself to "chat" with him.

The texting isn't such a bad idea - as long as the powers that be don't go overboard and start kicking out half the stadium.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read