Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005   #1
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Blessing, TX
Age: 25
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 10 THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is ridin' the pine
Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Default How Matt Leinhart's Decision Will Affect This Draft

I think Matt Leinhart's decision today to stay at USC has changed the outlook of this draft tremendously. Here is what I think:

The 49ers would have been a lock of Matt Leinhart. He was the only clearcut #1, and the only QB worth the #1 pick. With Leinhart gone, its hard to say what the 49ers are going to do. It depends who the GM is going to be. I think they trade down with the Chargers.

The Chargers will get the #1 pick in exchange for both of their 1st round picks. The Chargers will then take Dan Cody at #1 and move him to OLB in their 3-4 defense. He will be a complimant to Donnie Edwards and a prominant pass rusher OPPOSITE of Foley who had a great year.

Dolphins take Benson at #2, and the Browns will grab either Aaron Rogers or Alex Smith at #3. At #4 the Bears will trade down with Dallas for Dallas' 2 first rounders, and the Boys will get Adam Jones at #4 filling there CB need.

I could go on making predictions, some of them would be crazy. But with Leinhart gone I don't think there is now a clear cut #1, and that could change everything, with the 49ers not wanting the #1 pick, and probably hardly anybody else.

What does it mean to us? I think a lot of teams will be trading up ahead of us, and that scares me because on draft day it might get crazy. But I think some guys could fall under the cracks who we might be interested in: Derrick Johnson, Carlos Rogers, those type of players.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston/Austin
Age: 26
Posts: 4,314
Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

The 49ers would have been a lock of Matt Leinhart. He was the only clearcut #1, and the only QB worth the #1 pick. With Leinhart gone, its hard to say what the 49ers are going to do. It depends who the GM is going to be. I think they trade down with the Chargers.

The Chargers will get the #1 pick in exchange for both of their 1st round picks. The Chargers will then take Dan Cody at #1 and move him to OLB in their 3-4 defense. He will be a complimant to Donnie Edwards and a prominant pass rusher OPPOSITE of Foley who had a great year.
If the Chargers wanted Cody, they could probably select him at the Giants pick they got from the Eli deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Dolphins take Benson at #2, and the Browns will grab either Aaron Rogers or Alex Smith at #3. At #4 the Bears will trade down with Dallas for Dallas' 2 first rounders, and the Boys will get Adam Jones at #4 filling there CB need.
I dont see the Dolphins taking Benson for one reason: It is well known that Benson idolizes Ricky Williams and I have this strange feeling that the Dolphins dont like Ricky. I truly feel that if the Browns take Rogers or Smith at #3 it will be a big reach. I have responded to you Pac-Man at #4 by the Cowboys but just in case you didnt see it: Pac-Man is a good corner but if the Cowboys do trade up it will be for Antrell Rolle and they could keep their two first rounders and get Pac-Man or maybe even Rolle at #11
__________________

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #3
texansfan88
All Pro
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 26
Posts: 880
Rep Power: 0 texansfan88 is ridin' the pine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
If the Chargers wanted Cody, they could probably select him at the Giants pick they got from the Eli deal.

I dont see the Dolphins taking Benson for one reason: It is well known that Benson idolizes Ricky Williams and I have this strange feeling that the Dolphins dont like Ricky. I truly feel that if the Browns take Rogers or Smith at #3 it will be a big reach. I have responded to you Pac-Man at #4 by the Cowboys but just in case you didnt see it: Pac-Man is a good corner but if the Cowboys do trade up it will be for Antrell Rolle and they could keep their two first rounders and get Pac-Man or maybe even Rolle at #11
People make too much of his idolization of Ricky Williams. He is his idol b/c of the way he plays! He looks up to him b/c he knew what it took to beat people when he wanted too, and Ced has looked up to him since he was a junior at Midland Lee.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #4
Rosusu
All Pro
 
Rosusu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columba, SC GO GAMECOCKS!
Age: 28
Posts: 535
Rep Power: 11 Rosusu is ridin' the pine
Default

I read somewhere that Parcells said that he is NOT taking a CB in this draft. Just something to think about.
__________________
In Kubiak I trust!
Rosusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 7,588
Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

NFL Draft Blitz has the 49ers taking QB Alex Smith, fom Utah, with the 1st pick in the draft.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #6
edo783
Site Contributor
 
edo783's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston, again.
Posts: 7,706
Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosusu
I read somewhere that Parcells said that he is NOT taking a CB in this draft. Just something to think about.
At this time of year, if a coach is talking draft and his lips are moving, he is probably lying. Lots of smoke screening will be going on. Believe it only when it happens.
__________________


De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity
 
Errant Hothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Keller, Tx
Age: 35
Posts: 9,945
Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. The Cow-Girls need way to much help to even think about trading away their second first round pick. They are looking to a) fix the secondary, b) fix teh D-line, c) fix the O-line and d)find a #1 WR. Now with all those needs why would they give up a second first round pick, espically for a DB, in Jones, who isn't the clear cut #1 player at his postion?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2005   #8
Huge
Hall of Fame
 
Huge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Out yonder way...
Age: 42
Posts: 2,386
Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
I think Matt Leinhart's decision today to stay at USC has changed the outlook of this draft tremendously. Here is what I think:

The 49ers would have been a lock of Matt Leinhart. He was the only clearcut #1, and the only QB worth the #1 pick. With Leinhart gone, its hard to say what the 49ers are going to do. It depends who the GM is going to be. I think they trade down with the Chargers.

The Chargers will get the #1 pick in exchange for both of their 1st round picks. The Chargers will then take Dan Cody at #1 and move him to OLB in their 3-4 defense. He will be a complimant to Donnie Edwards and a prominant pass rusher OPPOSITE of Foley who had a great year.
Reasons I believe this doesn't happen:

1. San Diego is cheap. They don't like to trade up because it carries larger contracts (see their first round picks for the last 5 years).
2. San Diego doesn't need to trade up. If you just finished 12-4, you're looking to add depth...not go after 1 playmaker.
3. Dan Cody is not an OLB...in any system.
4. As stated earlier, if the Chargers want Cody, they can take him with one of their current picks (I bet he's available for them at the bottom of the first).

Quote:
Dolphins take Benson at #2, and the Browns will grab either Aaron Rogers or Alex Smith at #3. At #4 the Bears will trade down with Dallas for Dallas' 2 first rounders, and the Boys will get Adam Jones at #4 filling there CB need.
I think the Dolphins have too many holes to fill to take Benson (or any other player) at #2. They're not just missing a RB...they need a lot of help. Factor in their lack of draft picks because of previous trades, that screams a trade down. They can find another RB comparable to Benson (maybe even better) further down.

In your scenario of Dallas, you're saying Adam Jones is worth giving up the 20th overall pick so they (Dallas) can move up 7 spots (from 11th to 4th). No CB in this or any other draft is worth that much. And like the Chargers with Cody, if they want Jones, they can simply stay put at #11 (or #20) and take him there because he will be available.

edo is dead on with his comments about what a coach/GM says around draft time.

Quote:
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again. The Cow-Girls need way to much help to even think about trading away their second first round pick. They are looking to a) fix the secondary, b) fix teh D-line, c) fix the O-line and d)find a #1 WR. Now with all those needs why would they give up a second first round pick, espically for a DB, in Jones, who isn't the clear cut #1 player at his postion?
I don't think a #1 WR is a priority to Parcells. WRs we have...just need to keep them healthy. With Johnson, Glenn and Morgan, we should be fine. No hurry here. Although it'd be pretty tough to pass on Mike Williams if he makes it to #11.

I think the DL is going to be addressed first. Too many good CBs in this draft to address it with their first pick (although I wouldn't complain). Secondary will come second (and maybe even again in the second round with Woody's retirement).
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #9
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Blessing, TX
Age: 25
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 10 THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is ridin' the pine
Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Default

By the time that the Combine and individual workouts are over, both Jones and Cody will be the top defesive prospects out there.

Some one said Cody wasn't a 3-4 OLB.......if you watched some of Oklahoma's games, Cody played standing up on some plays when Oklahoma ran a version of the 3-4 and he was very effective on stopping the run in thos situations. He played in a stance on all 3rd downs though..........

As far as Jones, Jones is the best CB in this draft. The scouts will love his speed in workouts, and his run stopping ablitity for a CB is unheard of. Rolle's stock is dropping fast, especially with his personal issues, I expect him to be the 3rd CB taken in this draft.

My question to you is who will be the 1st player........which player is worth the #1 pick? I don't think nobody can answer that question, because I don't see 1. Can you find one?
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,260
Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default

I think SF will take either the QB from California or the QB from Utah.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #11
Fiddy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston/Austin
Age: 26
Posts: 4,314
Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
As far as Jones, Jones is the best CB in this draft. The scouts will love his speed in workouts, and his run stopping ablitity for a CB is unheard of. Rolle's stock is dropping fast, especially with his personal issues, I expect him to be the 3rd CB taken in this draft.
Please elaborate on that. Teams marvel at Rolle's size, strength and speed. He can stop the run, cover anyone. Plus, when he plays bump and run coverage, the WR doesnt move...

Rolle had one personal issue which was last summer and he was acciquted...
__________________

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #12
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Blessing, TX
Age: 25
Posts: 93
Rep Power: 10 THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is ridin' the pine
Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Default

Just 1? I think you better check back on his personal record.

When I say he will be the 3rd CB taken, I'm not saying this kid has no talent, but he has been passed up by both Jones and Rogers. He started the season as the #1 CB, but Jones and Rogers has more tangibles then Rolle has. Jones is a complete CB and a playmaker, and Rogers has good size and speed and is a leader. Rolle has tons of talent, but as far as other qualities are concerned, he doesn't match up.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston/Austin
Age: 26
Posts: 4,314
Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
When I say he will be the 3rd CB taken, I'm not saying this kid has no talent, but he has been passed up by both Jones and Rogers. He started the season as the #1 CB, but Jones and Rogers has more tangibles then Rolle has. Jones is a complete CB and a playmaker, and Rogers has good size and speed and is a leader. Rolle has tons of talent, but as far as other qualities are concerned, he doesn't match up.
Rolle shut down Larry Fitzgerald a year ago and plays the run as good as any CB out there. The only thing Pac-Man has over Rolle is his speed. Thats it.

1) Rolle
2) Pac-Man
3) Rogers

And I have yet to find a second personal problem with Rolle...
__________________

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005   #14
Huge
Hall of Fame
 
Huge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Out yonder way...
Age: 42
Posts: 2,386
Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP
Default

Quote:
By the time that the Combine and individual workouts are over, both Jones and Cody will be the top defesive prospects out there.
They might be (even though I completely disagree with it). But in your scenario, you have two teams (San Diego and Dallas) giving up first round draft picks in order to land these guys. It's simply not going to happen.

Think about it. If you're Dallas and you obviously need help in many areas, are you going to give up the 20th overall pick to move up 7 spots just to get Adams (a player they can get at the 11th spot) when there are other CBs like Antrel Rolle, Marlin Jackson, Carlos Rogers, Justin Miller and Corey Webster still available?

And what exactly is Cody going to do during the Combine and pro day to show he's better than David Pollack, Erasmus James or Marcus Spears?

Quote:
My question to you is who will be the 1st player........which player is worth the #1 pick? I don't think nobody can answer that question, because I don't see 1. Can you find one?
I guess it depends on what the 49ers do. If they stay put, they'll (reach) and take a QB (either Rodgers or Smith). My guess is they take Smith. If they're smart, they'll get out of the pick and trade down. Who they trade with will determine who goes #1. But I can tell you who ain't going #1...Dan Cody.

Quote:
Just 1? I think you better check back on his personal record.
I think it'd be easier if you already knew his issues to post them here. Links would be appreciated. I'm not doubting you, but as Fiddy has already stated, we're aware of his altercation from last summer. If there's something else you know about, we'd be interested in hearing it.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger