Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-17-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who are these Texans?

As season ends and we look forward to free agency and the draft, today I pulled a team roster from Texans site. What can you tell me about these roster guys?

Rashad Butler Tackle: has he done enough to remain past OTA's
Kevis Coley LB: I can't remember him being on the field.
Clark Harris TE/LS: he will be back but will he make final roster?
Craig Nall QB: another arm for training camp?
Matteral Richardson CB: I vaguely remember him being signed.
Kasey Studdard G: positive hoopla last year. Not much this season.

IR guys and practice squad players can be discussed also.
Old 12-17-2008   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who are these Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As season ends and we look forward to free agency and the draft, today I pulled a team roster from Texans site. What can you tell me about these roster guys?

Butler - He looked like our future swing tackle to me. I reckon Salaam will be gone soon.

Coley - Showed some promise in pre-season. It'd be nice to see him play a little in the final 2 games.

Harris - Presently our deep snapper and expect him to stay over Pitman

Nall - Picked up when Schaub went down.

Richardson - Haven't even seen him.

Studdard - He'll be around for next camp, but if he can't take that next step. He be gone
Old 12-17-2008   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

Rashad Butler is going to be the first OT off the bench once Ephraim Salaam is gone and believe me when I say he'll be gone after this season.

Kevis Coley is a project guy who may or may not be here next year. It just depends on whether or not he makes progress and whether or not we find another project guy with more upside to take his place.

Clark Harris won't be on the team once Pittman gets his suspension over.

Craig Nall is the guy we always call first when we have a QB problem. He'll go to camp but not make the team and then go wait by the phone.

Matteral Richardson is better depth than we had and will compete for a job next year (more than likely resulting in Petey hitting the road.

Kasey Studdard is here because Kubiak is friends with his dad and is doing his old man a favor. That 's the best guess I can come up with. I can't think of a single reason why this guy is still eating a roster spot.
Old 12-17-2008   #4
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Clark Harris is interesting to me. Remember him playing at Rutgers couple of years ago, and he didn't seem like a bad TE project. Wonder if he bulks up if he could take Bruener's spot as the blocking TE. So he could fill two rolls, (Long snapper and blocking TE).

most likely will be cut though
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

We've only seen a sample of Harris' deep snapping, but they damn sure look better than what Pitman did this season. If Harris can step up and be depth at TE for us then he should take Pitman's spot. Pitman did nothing but snap. Remember, Kubiak like versatility.
Old 12-17-2008   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I had to look Richardson up...
Quote:
In his first ever preseason game with the Redskins, the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game, Richardson intercepted a ball thrown by Indianapolis Colts quarterback Jared Lorenzen and returned it for a touchdown.

Richardson was signed off the Washington Redskins' practice squad by the Houston Texans on November 26, 2008 after running back Ahman Green was placed on injured reserve.
from HT.com
Quote:
COLLEGE CAREER: Competed in 48 career games with the Razorbacks, with 35 starts…tallied 180 tackles (140 solo), three tackles for loss, one sack, 31 pass deflections, four interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery in his career.

2007: As a senior, started all 13 games…totaled 60 tackles (49 solo), one tackle for loss, 13 pass deflections, one fumble recovery and three interceptions

2006:
Started at cornerback all 14 games of his junior season…totaled 63 tackles (51 solo), 11 pass deflections, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and one interception.

2005:
Appeared in 11 games with eight starts as a sophomore…started first five games of the season at free safety, then came off the bench at cornerback for three games and started the final three games at cornerback…compiled 44 tackles (28 solo), six pass deflections and one sack.

hmmm... this is interesting; pulling him off the 'Skins P/S means he has to occupy a roster spot... they think that much of this dude?

I wonder if this means that CB has moved down the list of needs in the upcoming draft.

orrrr...

that they're stocking up on CBs in case D-Rob tests the waters in F/A and they don't want to match what someone else is willing to pay...?

hmmmm....

Last edited by ObsiWan; 12-17-2008 at 08:57 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #7
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Butler is our swing when Ephram is gone. Nall was released now that Schaub is healthy.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-18-2008   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

It'll be deja vu all over again. they'll do the exact same thing they did last year. Load the roster with talent and let them fight it out for playing time. the only guys who are relatively safe are your guys on the pro bowl roster. Every one else is fighting for playing time and a roster spot. No one is safe. no one. the first day a player doesn't believe that that'll be the beginning of the end for him on this team. I figure okoye's got one more year. And so does Jocoby Jones....so on and so on. Two things with this coach...Can i trust you ? And when I call on you will you make a play for me....now....not next year....but now, will you execute for me ? At this point I wouldn't speculate on anyone.
Old 12-18-2008   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
It'll be deja vu all over again. they'll do the exact same thing they did last year. Load the roster with talent and let them fight it out for playing time. the only guys who are relatively safe are your guys on the pro bowl roster. Every one else is fighting for playing time and a roster spot. No one is safe. no one. the first day a player doesn't believe that that'll be the beginning of the end for him on this team. I figure okoye's got one more year. And so does Jocoby Jones....so on and so on. Two things with this coach...Can i trust you ? And when I call on you will you make a play for me....now....not next year....but now, will you execute for me ? At this point I wouldn't speculate on anyone.
Thats exactly what I want from a head-coach
Old 12-18-2008   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Rashad Butler is going to be the first OT off the bench once Ephraim Salaam is gone and believe me when I say he'll be gone after this season.

Kevis Coley is a project guy who may or may not be here next year. It just depends on whether or not he makes progress and whether or not we find another project guy with more upside to take his place.

Clark Harris won't be on the team once Pittman gets his suspension over.
Craig Nall is the guy we always call first when we have a QB problem. He'll go to camp but not make the team and then go wait by the phone.

Matteral Richardson is better depth than we had and will compete for a job next year (more than likely resulting in Petey hitting the road.

Kasey Studdard is here because Kubiak is friends with his dad and is doing his old man a favor. That 's the best guess I can come up with. I can't think of a single reason why this guy is still eating a roster spot.
Why? Pittman has snapped like crap this year. We need to look at a guy who can do somethng else in a pinch. Like a G/LS, LB/LS ect.. Get a few of those guys, and screw a wasted roster spot on a Snapper.
Old 12-18-2008   #11
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
That's the way it should be.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read