Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-24-2005   #41
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Weaker, in the sense that it is not in the same class as last years, it isn't weak either. There are some decent down the road OL, a pretty good crop of LBs and DBs, and in the second tier there are some RBs that stand a chance of being good ones. After all DD was a 4th rounder and looke what he has done.

While I'm at it I want to get in one last complaint about the Texans trading so many good Draft picks last lear to overestimate on a certain DE turned LB by the name of Babbin. A decent pick but we overpaid me thinks.
Old 01-26-2005   #42
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
I also thought about being in some cold city by myself watching this [Texas] team win a national championship and so I really felt that I needed to come back and help the team do that.
Yea Rod, you might be in some cold city like Buffalo or Clevland, but you'd be
rich and cold. And this is a weak draft in general and weak in DTs in particular. You could buy some expensive digs in Texas (or South Fl), with
that big bonus you got in the 2005 draft and spend a nice, warm, toasty
winter in that new pad after the season is over. Or you can stay on another
year, blow your knee out, maybe get picked in the third round after the Sooners embarass you guys again.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #43
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
While I'm at it I want to get in one last complaint about the Texans trading so many good Draft picks last lear to overestimate on a certain DE turned LB by the name of Babbin. A decent pick but we overpaid me thinks.
Can we rely on that one last complaint thing?
Old 01-26-2005   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You really ought to learn his name, It's Babin, not Babbin. I see you type this over and over on both HPF and here. The Titans did so well with their picks that they ended up the 27th best defense in the league plugging in dogs like Odom, and LaBoy falling from the 12th best defense the year before. It was fun watching them get steamrolled play after play last season. Starks plays behind Hainsworth and dropped to the third round due to character issues, he may be a player long term...but guys who carry the lazy label or have character issues may not prove out long term. I still like Troupe but he is dumb as a rock and had a hard time figuring out the Titans playbook last year. We will see how these guys turn out long term, but Babin had a year that pretty much matched Mike Vrabel's. Kevin Greene didn't get his 17th sack until his 4th year in the league. I’m not convinced we got the bad end of this deal.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #45
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

It also annoys me when people pronounce it Bay-bin, instead of Bah-bin.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #46
TexasJedi
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
It also annoys me when people pronounce it Bay-bin, instead of Bah-bin.
Yep, that annoys me everytime Al Michaels does it on Madden '05. "And Bay-bin makes the tackle for a loss."
-Mario #90
TexasJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #47
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Babin ended up having a good rookie year, but make no mistake about
it, if the Titans said this afternoon they'd trade us Troupe, Starks, & Bo Schobel for Babin, I'd jump on that deal so fast your head would swim. How
bad do we need a "real", 2-way TE right now (and last year) - we need one real bad. Right now our great hope for TE is Joppru, and we know how unreliable that source has been. And as far as Starks goes, he just turned 21 years old last month, which means he is barely out of his teens and does
still have a long process to maturation, in more ways than one. But like TE,
we desperately need help at DT and last I heard, we are a younger type team wanting to develope young talent for the long-term. And Schobel, I think he was injured his rookie year, but did have some upside as 3-4 OLB
and special teams.
Hey Babin done good this year, but the Titans did a lot better than
that last April in their draft day trade with the Texans.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2005   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

actually my fellow Texan fans the high price paid is more of a reflection of making the 3-4 system work than direct value of said player (Babin). the Texans where desperate for a OLB who fit the scheme & felt another year without a legit starter would impede future progress. this coming year Babin should be terrific, with at least one more quality starter added via the draft & possibly free agency I think you'll see his numbers reflect more productivity warranting his selection. with the 1st pick this year I would not be screaming mad if the Texans went OLB with Dan Cody or Shawne Merriman & this would reflect a higher price than paid for Babin (27th or all those prospects).

the one point that does hurt some of us who treasure the drafting of OUR picks is that it took the fun away from us with not being able to follow those picks, but thats strictly for entertainment value only.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #49
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
. . .the one point that does hurt some of us who treasure the drafting of OUR picks is that it took the fun away from us with not being able to follow those picks, but thats strictly for entertainment value only.
Boy, you got that one right! I frankly am a little amazed how infatuated some people are with the draft, to the point to where the line is clearly crossed over into the area of unhealthy obsession.

What's really funny, it's not who the Texans draft or not draft, it is whether OUR picks get drafted or not. Well, count on the fact that Casserly is not going play by OUR rules, so take it for granted that WE are going to be disappointed. This year, just like last year. And heaven forbid, God help us all if Casserly trades away OUR beloved picks. Well, it might ruin OUR day.

And since some of US actually regard the NFL draft has being more important than the actual NFL playing season, or even life itself . . . then maybe WE are getting exactly what WE deserve.

Last edited by Marcus; 01-29-2005 at 10:59 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texas guy I'd take Ted Nugent at 13. If he plays stranglehold before the game and at halftime we can't lose. Usaully slips happen because of a panic reaction from guys drafting for a position and not the best player.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #51
texansfan4life
Rookie

the texans will be crazy not to take a running back in this draft
texansfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
here is my best guess to date who will be gone by #13
  1. Alex Smith
  2. Aaron Rodgers
  3. Antrell Rolle
  4. Derrick Johnson
  5. Mike Williams
  6. Braylon Edwards
  7. Alex Barron
  8. Cedric Benson
  9. Erasmus James
  10. Cadillac Williams
  11. Thomas Davis
  12. Marcus Spears
updated list as of 2-3-05
Old 02-15-2005   #53
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou059
Top 3 are Cedric Benson and Williams and Brown. Everyone else will be second round picks. I see all three backs going 1st round!
Personally, I hope all three go in top 12 as someone we can use may go at 13. DD as our starter with a back up to save him a few carries is ok by me.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #54
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
updated list as of 2-3-05
I think we are plugging in BPA when we make these "gone before 13" lists, when actually alot of teams will take on need as well. Just an observation.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

This kind of stuff knocks players down from primo money slots in the draft...
Quote:
Oh, and another thing…Rolle is a total knucklehead. Going into the season, he was suspended for battery on a police officer. The charges were dropped, and Rolle played all year, but NFL teams don’t like guys who get charged with hitting cops, no matter how great they are because the likelihood of more stupid stunts to follow is troubling.
http://www.draftboardinsider.com/pla...B/rolle-a.html

Old 02-15-2005   #56
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...but NFL teams don’t like guys who get charged with hitting cops...
This is another reason why I'm always questioning what these internet scouts say. They could have looked up the truth about Rolle's incident as easily as I did.
Quote:
Charges dropped against Miami's Rolle: Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle won't be tried for allegedly striking a police officer, and was reinstated to the team.

Hurricanes coach Larry Coker had indefinitely suspended Rolle after his arrest.

"I am extremely pleased that there has been a positive resolution to the issue," Coker said in a statement.

Assistant State Attorney Michael Grieco said that while the arrest was "valid," Rolle's "post-arrest contrition and lack of criminal history" led to the decision to drop the case. The physical contact between Rolle and the officer was "merely incidental," Grieco said.

Rolle — whose father is chief of police in nearby Homestead, Fla. — also participated in an ride-along session with Miami-Dade County police "during active nightlife hours," gaining an appreciation for officers' work, Grieco said.

According to a police complaint, Rolle was involved in a fight in a street near campus earlier this month and resisted arrest, cursing and swinging his arms in an attempt to free himself and forcing officers to call for backup help.

Along with the felony charge, Rolle was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting an officer without violence, both misdemeanors.
NFL teams will interview Rolle and determine what kind of guy he is. I can't see this having an impact on too many teams boards. Maybe the Raiders might move Rolle up a few spots.
Old 03-01-2005   #57
beerlover
Site Contributor

updated post NFL Combine- less QB's & RB's (-5)

1. Derrick Johnson
2. Mike Williams
3. Antrell Rolle
4. Alex Barron
5. Adam Pac-Man Jones
6. Braylon Edwards
7. Thomas Davis
8. Shawne Merriman
9. Marcus Spears
10. Jammal Brown
11. Troy Williamson
12. Justin Miller
13. David Pollack

subtracting the 5 picks, 5 players near the end of the list should be available for the Texans/Casserly to choose from. would y'all be happy with those
Old 03-01-2005   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I think I have come to the conclusion that nobody will be available at the 13th pick.

Old 03-01-2005   #59
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Come on Vinny your just hitting the wall push through it . How far did the Hampton WR move up by running so well ? Ronnie Brown I think is now top a 3 pick . I think the QBs are not so good that they won't be bumped . Are RBs cheaper at #1 than QBs ,cause the 49ers need alot of help and it does not seem like they have any takers for the first pick ?
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005   #60
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
Are RBs cheaper at #1 than QBs ,cause the 49ers need alot of help and it does not seem like they have any takers for the first pick ?
Pretty much no--that is why you don't see many TE's, safeties or kickers/punters as top draft picks. The salary for their draft spot would put them in excess of the salaries for the best players at their positions already in the league.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read