Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2008   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If we HAD to spend big money on one of these free agents: Asomugha or Haynesworth?

Let me get this out of the way - neither of these signings are even remotely possible, so this is a COMPLETE hypothetical. Albert's going to come at too high a price, and Asomugha will probably be franchised again.

Who would you prefer?

I would go with Asomugha, because I think he's more of a sure-thing to continue his excellent play. I'm really afraid that Fat Al will go back to his only better-than-average play before his contract years... that said, it's almost worth the risk because OH my GOD he and Mario on the same line? Holy cow.

Somehow, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make this a poll. I clicked the box that says "Yes, post a poll with this thread," but that didn't work.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If we HAD to spend big money on one of these free agents: Asomugha or Haynesworth

Aso.

We don't need scum on this team.

This is my message to Fat Albert:

Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If we HAD to spend big money on one of these free agents: Asomugha or Haynesworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Let me get this out of the way - neither of these signings are even remotely possible, so this is a COMPLETE hypothetical. Albert's going to come at too high a price, and Asomugha will probably be franchised again.

Who would you prefer?

I would go with Asomugha, because I think he's more of a sure-thing to continue his excellent play. I'm really afraid that Fat Al will go back to his only better-than-average play before his contract years... that said, it's almost worth the risk because OH my GOD he and Mario on the same line? Holy cow.

Somehow, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make this a poll. I clicked the box that says "Yes, post a poll with this thread," but that didn't work.
Haynesworth

BUT, the way he speaks of the Texans and Schaub we're probably the last team he'd be interested in. I suppose if we threw more cash at him than any other team he'd consider it, but I don't think we can afford it.
Old 12-16-2008   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Also - could someone help me out on how to start a poll? I've been here a while, but right now I feel like such a noob! LOL

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #5
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know.
First, I want to see the list of F/As who'll be available. If I can replace Brisiel with a road grader/better pass blocker, that's the move I'd make.
Asomugha would be a stud pickup but not if it means we can't re-sign any of our core guys.
Personally, I still don't think Fisher/Bud will let Haynesworth get out of Nashville.
I'd love to see the NYG let one of their 3-headed RB monster go. Jacobs or Ward or Bradshaw... I'd take either one as a compliment to Slaton. Although Bradshaw may be damaged goods

Last edited by ObsiWan; 12-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #6
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Nnamdi isn't a lock to be a Raider at all.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders...645?source=rss

A big signing like either would keep Dunta around at least. I'd spend it on the CB though since we have some young guys stepping up in the Dline lately
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

If you do a poll of unattainable FAs from this year toss in Peppers. Between Aso and Haynesworth its Haynesworth for me. With him we immediately become a force against the run defensively and our sacks/pressures would skyrocket improving us against the pass significantly.
Old 12-16-2008   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Also - could someone help me out on how to start a poll? I've been here a while, but right now I feel like such a noob! LOL
1-New thread
2- Additional options
3- Post a poll (check box)
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Needless to say, I'm not gonna support signing Hainsworth! LOL

That other guy looks pretty good.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #10
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take Asomugha over Haynesworth. Haynesworth is a beast and would make our line better, but I can't stand him. Asomugha is one of the best corners & will likely shut down half the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5nlEA8BUTQ
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Asomugha. He's the type of character guy the FO loves.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Asomugha. He's the type of character guy the FO loves.
Yes. If Aso shakes loose, invite him over for a T-Bone and 6 years $60 million.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #13
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Tough call, Haynesworth would bring a mean streak to the team we sorely need.

But Aso is younger and would effectively shut down the opponent's best WR (providing we get a DC that doesn't assign each CB a specific side of the field).

I'd go with Aso because of the potential that Fat Albert would get lazy with the big contract.
Old 12-16-2008   #14
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they should sign that great cover corner Spurstexanstros because when there is a punt in the air he will make sure it hits the other guy.(and he is cheap)
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #15
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post

But Aso is younger
I thought the same thing. Fat Al does look old, doesn't he? He's only 27, the same age as Nnamdi.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

And AJ. You just called AJ old.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #17
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Neither. Haynesworth has only played 16 games once, and that was his rookie year.

We also don't need an expensive corner.

If I was spending big money in the off season it would be on Julius Peppers.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
If I was spending big money in the off season it would be on Julius Peppers.
I'd like to see that also, but they'll never let Peppers go.

Just the thought of that though......WOW!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Haynesworth

Because it would help our team & hurt the Tacks.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would prefer Aso. I would go hard after DE Will Smith New Orleans http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493067;Julius Peppers is interesting also.

As I do not think we will get any of these three and as I like Bulman, Cochran and DelJuan Robinson I would look to draft to fulfill my defense needs. I expect some guys on current roster to be gone but think Okoye, Okam, Nading(Kubes mentioned his play after Titans game) will all be back. Travis Johnson probable as he has relatively cheap contract at 5 years 10.2 million.

I think Brandon Graham DE 6' 3" 270 with reported 4.72 speed will be available in 2nd round.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read