Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2008   #1
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans' linebackers

About halfway through the season this year I was fairly convinced this team needed another linebacker with the ability to make big plays. Greenwood was in the midst of another lackluster year, and the forum seemed to be kicking around ideas of either picking up a new WLB or a new MLB and shifting Demeco to the will. After seeing Adibi get some playtime I'm not necessarily convinced that we need to go out and use a high draft pick or expensive FA acquisition to replace Greenwood. Diles was our most productive linebacker prior to his injury, and his broken leg shouldn't prevent him from coming back 100% next year. I think the suspicion that Demeco hasn't been 100% healthy this year is most likely valid, but he still provides us solid play regardless. Adibi has some injury concerns, but when he's on the field he's very productive. The three of them give us a highly athletic but undersized group (Adibi - 6'2, 220; Diles 6'0, 240; Ryans 6'1, 250).

The point of the thread is to see what your thoughts are about moving forward with this group. Do you see Adibi starting in front of Greenwood from the beginning next year with Diles returning at SLB? Do we need to go get a high priced FA or blue chip prospect at LB to stiffen up our D? I'm happy to move forward with Diles, Ryans, and Adibi, and I wouldn't necessarily go out of the way to address this position before others such as DE and safety. On the other hand, Diles and Adibi were solid but not spectacular. I wouldn't pass up the chance at a great LB (a la Patrick Willis) if they were the BPA.
Thoughts on our LB corp moving forward?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' linebackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
About halfway through the season this year I was fairly convinced this team needed another linebacker with the ability to make big plays. Greenwood was in the midst of another lackluster year, and the forum seemed to be kicking around ideas of either picking up a new WLB or a new MLB and shifting Demeco to the will. After seeing Adibi get some playtime I'm not necessarily convinced that we need to go out and use a high draft pick or expensive FA acquisition to replace Greenwood. Diles was our most productive linebacker prior to his injury, and his broken leg shouldn't prevent him from coming back 100% next year. I think the suspicion that Demeco hasn't been 100% healthy this year is most likely valid, but he still provides us solid play regardless. Adibi has some injury concerns, but when he's on the field he's very productive. The three of them give us a highly athletic but undersized group (Adibi - 6'2, 220; Diles 6'0, 240; Ryans 6'1, 250).

The point of the thread is to see what your thoughts are about moving forward with this group. Do you see Adibi starting in front of Greenwood from the beginning next year with Diles returning at SLB? Do we need to go get a high priced FA or blue chip prospect at LB to stiffen up our D? I'm happy to move forward with Diles, Ryans, and Adibi, and I wouldn't necessarily go out of the way to address this position before others such as DE and safety. On the other hand, Diles and Adibi were solid but not spectacular. I wouldn't pass up the chance at a great LB (a la Patrick Willis) if they were the BPA.
Thoughts on our LB corp moving forward?
Diles is ok, but OLB is a big need. We need to get more athletic. Diles is great special teams, and a good flexable back up, but he can be upgraded. We need guys who know how to blitz. I think thats what our guys do worst, is blitz. Coverage is another weakness. They also dont always tackle great. Greenwood is at risk of not making this team.
Old 12-16-2008   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Greenwood is done here...he was awful off the bench Sunday. I think Diles, DeMeco and Adibi will be our starters next season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Greenwood is done here...he was awful off the bench Sunday. I think Diles, DeMeco and Adibi will be our starters next season.
I agree, but I dont think Diles and Adibi are SO good you dont look at OLB as something to be upgraded.
Old 12-16-2008   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should be. Adibi has outplayed him. 2009 is the last year of his contract and the Texans can create $4.77 mil of cap space by dumping him.
Old 12-16-2008   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Wish we could get our hands on Derrick Johnson. Still Diles, Ryans, and Adibi is going to be better than anything we've seen this season so far. I'm pretty sure of that.
Old 12-16-2008   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I agree, but I dont think Diles and Adibi are SO good you dont look at OLB as something to be upgraded.
Early in the draft I see us looking at a DE, a S or a G/C before we look at linebacker. I honestly think we have our starters in place...heck, before Diles was injured he led the team in tackles, not Demeco.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2008   #8
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Greenwood is at risk of not making this team.
Best news I've heard all day! Adibi is definitely a speed upgrade and looks to have reasonably good instincts as well.
Old 12-16-2008   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Diles is ok, but OLB is a big need. We need to get more athletic. Diles is great special teams, and a good flexable back up, but he can be upgraded. We need guys who know how to blitz. I think thats what our guys do worst, is blitz. Coverage is another weakness. They also dont always tackle great. Greenwood is at risk of not making this team.
Did you watch the games he played in? He was leading the team in tackles up until he got injured. he would have been the biggest surprise of the year if he hadn't gotten hurt
Old 12-16-2008   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It Could be upgraded but I think both diles and adibi play well enough that we aren't going to make a huge splash landing a bigtime OLB. Look for an upgrade along the DL or the Secondary (Specifically either S position) that would qualify as a big expenditure.
Old 12-16-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IMO, I still think we should look at LB on the first day if there's a top prospect still available at our spot.

Diles can play the run good, but I question his pass coverage. He's still young and inexperienced so he should improve.

Adibi's still a huge question mark for me. If he'd add another 10-15 pounds of muscle and stay healthy, he'd likely be pushing D-Ryans as our best LB.

Bentley's been impressive at times since Diles went down.

IMO, we should look at DE, OLB, S, G/C, CB
Old 12-16-2008   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

DB's, DL's, LB's.... rinse and repeat.
Old 12-16-2008   #13
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
DB's, DL's, LB's.... rinse and repeat.
I agree. I know I've mentioned it quite often, but this draft should focus entirely of the defense. Maybe mix in a C/G somewhere in the 7 rounds, but the rest on defense. That way if SmithDC is still around for next season (Gag me!) the "not enough talent" BS can't be used as an excuse.

Old 12-16-2008   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the top DE's (Johnson and Orakpo) will be gone by the time we pick and Greg Hardy has some mental issues and will probably be available in the 2nd round. The only DT worthy of us picking in the 1st round is B.J. Raji but if he's not available then I'd like to see us take Aaron Curry SLB from Wake Forest. Curry would be a major upgrade over Diles and would add alot to our run support defense and to our pass coverage of TE's and RB's who seem to kill us over the middle. Defensive linemen also seem to have a very high bust factor and usually take a couple years to develope into a player worthy of their draft position if taken in the 1st round. I think our starting LB's next year should be WLB Xavier Adibi, MLB Demeco Ryans, and SLB Aaron Curry. Then take the best, fastest, meanest SS in the 2nd round (Chung, Cook, Hamlin, or Chancellor).
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited to see Adibi Ryans and Diles get to play together.

That could be a really good linebacker corps.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #16
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

If Diles comes back 100% I really like our LBing core. He would probably have a bit of a battle to retake his spot from Bentley who has played very well. Diles really impressed me with his ability to penetrate and get after runners, especially on plays to the outside. He is not polished in coverage but he made a great play against Indy getting that pick and I think he can become more than adequate in that area. All three are very young and we have bigger problems on the DL and at safety as far as I am concerned. I believe LB next year will be a strength of this team. Jettison Morlon, Bentley is the first backup at each position and bring up Coley to help out with ST. If there is someone in the draft that is just too good to pass up either take him or trade down but hopefully we find the value elsewhere.
Old 12-16-2008   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think that the top DE's (Johnson and Orakpo) will be gone by the time we pick and Greg Hardy has some mental issues and will probably be available in the 2nd round. The only DT worthy of us picking in the 1st round is B.J. Raji but if he's not available then I'd like to see us take Aaron Curry SLB from Wake Forest. Curry would be a major upgrade over Diles and would add alot to our run support defense and to our pass coverage of TE's and RB's who seem to kill us over the middle. Defensive linemen also seem to have a very high bust factor and usually take a couple years to develope into a player worthy of their draft position if taken in the 1st round. I think our starting LB's next year should be WLB Xavier Adibi, MLB Demeco Ryans, and SLB Aaron Curry. Then take the best, fastest, meanest SS in the 2nd round (Chung, Cook, Hamlin, or Chancellor).
I would be shocked if Curry last until we pick. There is a thread about who most likely will be available where we are most likely to be picking.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see us pick up solid veteran LB in FA (Mike Peterson) He can be had cheap.

We need to re-sign Bentley I have been very impressed with his solid play @ SAM. He also is a good ST guy & provides veteran leadership.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #19
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Early in the draft I see us looking at a DE, a S or a G/C before we look at linebacker. I honestly think we have our starters in place...heck, before Diles was injured he led the team in tackles, not Demeco.
I agree. You could even throw DT in the mix.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

We've got our guys.....

I don't think i can recall another player on the texans who everyone noticed when he got in the game except Adibi. Demeco maybe, but surely noone else after him. My guess it that he's going to be entrenched as a starter & will be fine, he just needs that 1 pro offseason under his belt to be able to put on a little more weight. another year of possibly being under the same scheme isn't gonna hurt him either. These were the main reasons Diles was able to emerge as a starter this past year & Adibi's route to getting better as a down in/out starter likely isn't going to be much different. I thought it was huge that he got some PT this year b/c now he knows what it's going to take to be a dominant player on this level like he was at VT.

Unlike Adibi, Diles didn't get much of any PT last year & i think that kinda of hurt what he might've been able to do this year but all in all still good upside for him. As long as he comes back 100%, he'll be a starter & finally do what everyone thinks he's capable of.

As for Meco, i don't think he's been hurt. his production maybe down but that might just be a side effect of him getting better talent around him & Mario emerging the way he has over the last couple of years.

Last edited by Mr teX; 12-16-2008 at 01:10 PM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read