Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-16-2008   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike and Mike and Mario

This morning on ESPN's M&M in the Morning. They laid acolades on the Mario draft pick as a difference maker. They essentially skipped VY except to say....what needs to be said about that pick so far?

As far as the Bush pick in comparison, they pointed out that Bush is turning out to be a 3rd down/ receiving back with limited return ability. They pointed out that the Saints picked up an undrafted RB Pierre Thomas for a $5000 signing bonus who in the last 3 games has looked like Sayers compared to the production of Busch.

More and more recognition has gone to the wisdom of the Mario pick. Mario has established himself as a Man among many Man-want-to-be's.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike and Mike and Mario

It goes without saying that a lot of folks had the wrong opinion at the time of that draft. Including yours truely, an ex-VY supporter.

However, it also goes without saying that those three players careers aren't over yet and football history hasn't written their final chapter yet. We shall see. Personally, I'm glad we took Mario as we needed defensive help more than we needed offensive help, which is still the case. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This topic is so old it's not even interesting anymore. Yes we know we made the right decision. Yes we know Mario is by far and away the best player out of the three.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

This topic is so old it's not even interesting anymore. Yes we know we made the right decision. Yes we know Mario is by far and away the best player out of the three.
That's all true, the whole thing became very redundant sometime ago, but I still enjoy kicking it around a bit. Much more to do with Bush than VY.
But today is different: as flawed as the Pro-Bowl selection process, if Mario is in fact named to the AFC team it will represent a form of confirmation and really retribution to for the Mario selection by the Texans. Now I know that VY went to Honolulu his rookie year, but that was as an alternate/substitute as I recall ? Not the same thing.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #5
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason that I am the most happy about the way the draft turned out is that Reggie is on another team.

IF he had been drafted by Houston and was putting up similar numbers to what he is now all we would be hearing is how the Texans were RUINING Reggie Bush. We would be hearing "Poor Reggie" ad nauseum.

As it is, he is what he is on a team with an established history (Duece) of running back success. Adding the non-drafted free agent Pierre to the mix is an exclamation point. These are the only reasons that Reggie is being exposed as a third down back at best by the national media.

That, and we wouldn't have Mario. It can't be stated strongly enough what cojones it took for a rookie head coach to go against the grain of popular opinion like this.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hehe, when Bush is released we should consider picking him up, as a compliment to Slaton
Old 12-16-2008   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Hehe, when Bush is released we should consider picking him up, as a compliment to Slaton

That's actually a scarey thought......Have you ever noticed Bush in pass blocking situations?...........He might as well be rolling out a red carpet.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2008   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75384 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
It goes without saying that a lot of folks had the wrong opinion at the time of that draft. Including yours truely, an ex-VY supporter.

However, it also goes without saying that those three players careers aren't over yet and football history hasn't written their final chapter yet. We shall see. Personally, I'm glad we took Mario as we needed defensive help more than we needed offensive help, which is still the case. LOL
So...how long have u been sober & off the VY koolaid?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #9
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That's actually a scarey thought......Have you ever noticed Bush in pass blocking situations?...........He might as well be rolling out a red carpet.
Bush does not look too bothered with pass protection which is too bad, he would have made a fine 3rd down back.
Old 12-16-2008   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
For quite a while now. LOL

Old 12-16-2008   #11
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1517 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
As am I, from my Reggie hangover. But I openly admitted I was wrong and ate crow last season.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a firm believer in building the O-line and D-line before anything else - that said, I wanted Bush as well... BUT I wasn't pissed when they didn't take him. If it wasn't going to be Bush, I wanted it to be D'Brick Ferguson or Mario. If it had been anyone but those three, I would have been angry.

Admittedly, I was hard on Mario in his rookie year. I had no idea the plantar fascitis thing was limiting him as much as it was. I guess I just looked at it as an excuse. Man, was I wrong.

For all the crap he went through, and all the class he handled it with - Mario IS my favorite player in the NFL.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #13
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bush does not look too bothered with pass protection which is too bad, he would have made a fine 3rd down back.
Fourth-round pick Neon Leon Washington is better than Bush.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Fourth-round pick Neon Leon Washington is better than Bush.
As is 3rd round pick Steve Slaton
Old 12-16-2008   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Indeed. I've been doing a Bush vs Slaton comparison on my site all year - but at this point it's like comparing Schaub to Sage, or for that matter - Schaub to Carr. It's kind of a waste because it's obvious who the better player is, but I like to rub it in.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #16
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
My point was that Leon Washington came from the same draft class.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, I'm hoping we can find us a Pierre Thomas.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #18
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Quote:
That is really a two part question. I am assuming the answer to part b is longer than part a.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...ad#post1074967
Old 12-16-2008   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
That is really a two part question. I am assuming the answer to part b is longer than part a.
I think your assumption there is fairly accurate. LOL

Old 12-16-2008   #20
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

But I don't know that I'll ever be more wrong about something than I was about Mario. He is a beast. He is a game changer. He is among the very best players in the NFL at any position.

The other two guys at the top of that draft? It's not even close.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read