Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dunta- keep him or let him go?

Fan favorite cornerback Dunta Robinson brings fire but has he done enough to get the contract offer that will keep him in Houston? Is he only going to keep Bennett from getting the reps he needs or will the off season help DR be back to pre-injury form in 2009? How may bucks will it take to sign him and does Rick Smith say keep this big hearted player?

The bucks to sign him could go along way towards a certain FA DE some are dreaming about. I will keep focus on him last 2 games.
Old 12-15-2008   #2
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta- keep him or let him go?

keep him...let Faggins go...PLEASE let Faggins go!
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep him. Even if he's lost any step with his injury, his veteran leadership is needed in the lockerroom. Plus, I think he'll be back up to form by next season after he gets a full off-season to condition and work out.
Old 12-15-2008   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

How many dollars bills?
Old 12-15-2008   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never thought that Dunta was the greatest thing next to cold beer BUT, for being a younger guy, it's become quite obvious that he is the defensive leader on the field. He's as good as having an on-field coach. Get him signed.
Old 12-15-2008   #6
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How many dollars bills?
Exactly.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How many dollars bills?
That's the question, the issue.
We all want to keep him but at what cost ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2008   #8
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

He's pro bowl caliber...we need him. Lose the deadwood that DOESN'T perform. You build a secondary AROUND guys like Robinson.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'm thinking incentive-ladeled contract (out of concern about health, NOT effort), but I need to see how things go these last two games.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
He's pro bowl caliber...we need him.
i dunno about that. don't get me wrong, he's the best player in our secondary by far... but pro-bowl caliber? maybe as an alternate or something.
Old 12-15-2008   #11
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Just realized i never answered the question this thread poses. Keep him. for sure, keep him in houston.
Old 12-15-2008   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You keep him and try to come to some sort of agreement that lets him opt-out in a few years once he's had a season back at 100% (or that lets you opt out if he can't come all the way back). That way either side can trigger a renegotiation based on real world performance.

In an ideal world that's what I do. My heart tells me to go ahead and pay the man though. He'll be good to go next year and he is the heart of our defense. If Mario is the star and DeMeco is the guy who holds the middle together then Dunta is the heart. We need him. We once had a guy back there who was IMO "the heart" of the secondary in Aaron Glenn and we let him go because Philip Buchanon was faster. We destroyed our secondary to get faster and we were wrong. We don't want to make that same mistake again.
Old 12-15-2008   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You keep him and try to come to some sort of agreement that lets him opt-out in a few years once he's had a season back at 100% (or that lets you opt out if he can't come all the way back). That way either side can trigger a renegotiation based on real world performance.

In an ideal world that's what I do. My heart tells me to go ahead and pay the man though. He'll be good to go next year and he is the heart of our defense. If Mario is the star and DeMeco is the guy who holds the middle together then Dunta is the heart. We need him. We once had a guy back there who was IMO "the heart" of the secondary in Aaron Glenn and we let him go because Philip Buchanon was faster. We destroyed our secondary to get faster and we were wrong. We don't want to make that same mistake again.
Excellent point.

Old 12-15-2008   #14
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quite frankly, I don't even know why this question is being asked. Keep him.
Old 12-15-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tricky question. Dunta is a fan favorite and should be a part of the identity of our defense. He brings so much passion, effort and drive to the locker room, field and sidelines that it's almost irreplaceable.

With that said, there is a cut off. I don't know what that is though. Pre injury, Dunta was one of the best CB's in the league. Post injury is a different story. Is he or will he be good enough to be our #1 CB or is he a #2 CB? How does our staff like the combination of Reeves and Dunta out there? How has Bennett progressed? yadda yadda yadda.

As much as I like Dunta, he isn't a top 5 CB in the league so I'm not sure why we would be willing to franchise him and pay him $10 million for next season. I think we need to offer him a fair contract, maybe something like 2-3 years with most of the money weighted towards year 2 and 3 to see how he properly heals. At the same time, maybe we should know enough about his injury to make a complete decision. If he's not up to 100% why wait longer, or if he is at 100% then that should make our decision easier as to lay more money on the table or let him go.

I will tell you that I would be highly disappointed if he gets one of these 6 year $60 million deals or something unless the Texans are sure he's going to be a complete stud and allpro for years to come.

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 12-15-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Right now I'm thinking incentive-ladeled contract (out of concern about health, NOT effort), but I need to see how things go these last two games.
Don't you think other teams may whisper in his ear "More dollars over here"? I think Smith will offer a contract as you indicate, but this was to be the contract to set Dunta up for life. It may be asking the Texans a lot to step up against a FA offer. I can't blame DR for looking to his future but the Texans have to watch the bottom line also. Hopefully, he will give us a lot of reasons in next two games to keep him.
Old 12-15-2008   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think between the injury, and the fact that Dunta's skills are a bit overstated on this board (I agree with Powerful Dragon's take), the interest - or more specifically the money - that will be offered to him by any of the other 31 NFL teams this off-season won't be off the charts.

I also agree with Herv's characterization of him as the heart (and I would add soul) of the defense, and very much agree with his comparison to Aaron Glenn's departure.

To me, that means he's far more valuable to the Texans than any other team in the NFL, and as such, they should be able to come to an agreement that will not necessitate the use of the franchise tag. Probably short-term and/or including lots of incentives, but I can't see any other team paying him what he's worth to us during this off-season.
Old 12-15-2008   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't you think other teams may whisper in his ear "More dollars over here"? I think Smith will offer a contract as you indicate, but this was to be the contract to set Dunta up for life. It may be asking the Texans a lot to step up against a FA offer. I can't blame DR for looking to his future but the Texans have to watch the bottom line also. Hopefully, he will give us a lot of reasons in next two games to keep him.
Yes, I'm worried about it, but I kind of agree with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think between the injury, and the fact that Dunta's skills are a bit overstated on this board (I agree with Powerful Dragon's take), the interest - or more specifically the money - that will be offered to him by any of the other 31 NFL teams this off-season won't be off the charts.

I also agree with Herv's characterization of him as the heart (and I would add soul) of the defense, and very much agree with his comparison to Aaron Glenn's departure.

To me, that means he's far more valuable to the Texans than any other team in the NFL, and as such, they should be able to come to an agreement that will not necessitate the use of the franchise tag. Probably short-term and/or including lots of incentives, but I can't see any other team paying him what he's worth to us during this off-season.
I see Dunta as the type of guy who isn't the slightest bit afraid of incentives. Give him LOTS of incentives and he'll nail every one of them....unless his health never returns completely.

Old 12-15-2008   #19
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Keep him. Even if he's lost any step with his injury, his veteran leadership is needed in the lockerroom. Plus, I think he'll be back up to form by next season after he gets a full off-season to condition and work out.
What DB said.
Old 12-15-2008   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
FA is just like the college Draft in the sense that it only takes one team to think enough of a player to draft him very high and be willing to pay him what all other teams think is an utterly outragous amount of money.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read