Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2008   #1
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Watch out for the Texans in 2009

A good piece from CBS Sportsline:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/featur.../grades/week15

GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Watch out for the Texans in 2009

Nice article, but I'll be more inclined to believe all this (including my predictions LOL) if they end the season 9-7

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well i predicted during Off season that they would win at least ten games

and i might be a game and a half wrong

overall nice season that fell short but at least we didnt tank like the browns ... them and us where consider to be playoff bound but that never happend

but lets see what happends after the draft and OS and we can go from there
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
well i predicted during Off season that they would win at least ten games

and i might be a game and a half wrong

overall nice season that fell short but at least we didnt tank like the browns ... them and us where consider to be playoff bound but that never happend

but lets see what happends after the draft and OS and we can go from there
No we weren't. Cleveland, buffalo and jacksonville were slated to go to the playoffs with tennessee tanking.
Old 12-15-2008   #5
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll believe it when I see it. Not that I don't think the Texans are headed in the right direction, but THIS was supposed to be their year. Until this team is successful, I won't believe predictions of success.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #6
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No we weren't. Cleveland, buffalo and jacksonville were slated to go to the playoffs with tennessee tanking.
there were a couple of daring talking heads that had us sneaking into the playoffs this year as the final wild card because, as you said, the Titans were supposed to tank. And had they left Vince at QB, they may well have.
...we'll never really know.

and I was one that had us going between 7-9 and 9-7 due to the toughness of our schedule. I was worried that if we went 7-9 (or worse) that folks would be calling for Kubiak's head and we'd have to start "rebuilding" for a third time.
yuck!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #7
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
there were a couple of daring talking heads that had us sneaking into the playoffs this year as the final wild card because, as you said, the Titans were supposed to tank. And had they left Vince at QB, they may well have.
...we'll never really know.

and I was one that had us going between 7-9 and 9-7 due to the toughness of our schedule. I was worried that if we went 7-9 (or worse) that folks would be calling for Kubiak's head and we'd have to start "rebuilding" for a third time.
yuck!
you're right about that. I have felt since he's been playing that VY has hurt them as much as he;s helped and in some games they won in spite of him.
Old 12-16-2008   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Schaub looks like he wants to give somebody a hug in that picture.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
you're right about that. I have felt since he's been playing that VY has hurt them as much as he;s helped and in some games they won in spite of him.
i thought i remember reading somewhere that Fisher had asked him to just make 2 or 3 bigtime plays a game. or something. maybe he was saying that's what they expected out of him or something. either way, very odd.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #10
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya posted this a lil earlier but its all good..
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been wanting to watch out for them since about 2004

even then who knows if KEYE will be watching
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i thought i remember reading somewhere that Fisher had asked him to just make 2 or 3 bigtime plays a game. or something. maybe he was saying that's what they expected out of him or something. either way, very odd.
Not so odd. go look at Elvan Betha's last year with the Oilers.

Look this team is marked by one thing and one thing only. they are inconsistent. That Omboi Okoye Finlay showed up and made three or four key plays, the tacks QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and their HC made a bone headed desidsion....those are only things that keep the embers alive at a winning season. Both offensive tackles stank up the house. I don't know whether it was arm length or what, but Erick got lit up. And so did Brown.

One thing for the media guru to fan the flames of optimism. Until they have a winning division record, it's all hog wash. Don't mean a thing. Back to back 1-5's is getting jacked up for what ?

They have to get more athletic in the back seven or find a first step guy to give more pressure beyond what they are getting now with Weaver and Okoye. Not every game you're going to see an NFL QB miss seven wide open guys in a game. If you're building your '09 play off hopes on that alone, well you're just being silly. They are hovering around five hundred for a reason. They lived by the blitz Sunday...and they got very lucky.
Old 12-16-2008   #13
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Not that I don't think the Texans are headed in the right direction, but THIS was supposed to be their year. Until this team is successful, I won't believe predictions of success.
If it wasn't for Sage, we'd be in the playoff chase right now at 8-6.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
If it wasn't for Sage, we'd be in the playoff chase right now at 8-6.

Sage isn't the only reason we aren't there. I'm sure we can find a lot of reasons, most especially the defense waiting in the later part of the season to actually play.

But that's all water under the bridge anyway. We can only end up one of three ways, 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7. If we end up 9-7 there can be no argument about the teams improvement. Otherwise, we are all back in the same boat we were before this season started arguing on a internet BBS about a football team that is still not predictable.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008   #15
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, Steve Tasker made a comment towards the end of the game I thought that described it best (paraphrasing):

"Both teams are alternating between great and inconsistent".

I think the Texans were just a tiny bit less inconsistent so they won...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubes is hoping for 8-8 or 9-7 so McNair will let him have a little more rope. Next year is pretty much do or die imo. Areas Gary will focus on in off season;

Richard Smith which half of schedule do we trust?
Red Zone has to result in more points. Is that a power back?
Schaub, can he remain on the field?
Defensive line, what we have is not stopping the run or creating havoc in back field. Mario just is not enough. FA as usual does not offer much of answer.
Dunta Robinson is he indispensible at what it will cost to re-sign?

And finally for 2009, is a play off but out in first round enough to keep Kubiak beyond 2009 or must there be a first round victory? I think Ric Smith has made his bones especially with the NFL position he was just selected for.
Old 12-17-2008   #17
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post

You see, Jen has experience with this kind of talk, being a Cub fan and all.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #18
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Not so odd. go look at Elvan Betha's last year with the Oilers.

Look this team is marked by one thing and one thing only. they are inconsistent. That Omboi Okoye Finlay showed up and made three or four key plays, the tacks QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and their HC made a bone headed desidsion....those are only things that keep the embers alive at a winning season. Both offensive tackles stank up the house. I don't know whether it was arm length or what, but Erick got lit up. And so did Brown.

One thing for the media guru to fan the flames of optimism. Until they have a winning division record, it's all hog wash. Don't mean a thing. Back to back 1-5's is getting jacked up for what ?

They have to get more athletic in the back seven or find a first step guy to give more pressure beyond what they are getting now with Weaver and Okoye. Not every game you're going to see an NFL QB miss seven wide open guys in a game. If you're building your '09 play off hopes on that alone, well you're just being silly. They are hovering around five hundred for a reason. They lived by the blitz Sunday...and they got very lucky.
Actually this year we were 2-4
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Actually this year we were 2-4
And one Rosencopter away from 3-3.
Old 12-17-2008   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Man this all sounds so familar.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read