Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-15-2008   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default "We don't have enough talent on defense"

I've heard this excuse to keep Smith a lot. I am not buying that anymore. I think we have talent enough on defense to be able to do whatever his real philosophy is. We had to have a coach feel that his job was already foregone before he started dialing up more pressure.

I think that there is enough stud-level talent and that there are plenty of players who can fill in adequately enough to make this defense a whole lot more of a handful for opposing offenses.

Anybody with me and think that the "No Talent" excuse is NOT a valid defense for Smith's terrible units for the first 9 weeks of the season?

Last edited by b0ng; 12-15-2008 at 01:49 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "We don't have enough talent on defense"

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I've heard this excuse to keep Smith a lot. I am not buying that anymore. I think we have talent enough on defense to be able to do whatever his real philosophy is. We had to have a coach feel that his job was already foregone before he started dialing up more pressure.

I think that there is enough stud-level talent and that there are plenty of players who can fill in adequately enough to make this defense a whole lot more of a handful for opposing offenses.

Anybody with me and think that the "No Talent" excuse is a valid defense for Smith's terrible units for the first 9 weeks of the season?
The last four weeks is definitive proof that this team, with these players can field an effective and aggressive defense. It's as much an indictment of Smith as it is a credit. Sure he's got them getting after it now and that's great. Golf clap for Richard Smith for finally getting it. How come he couldn't get it in the first 10 weeks of the season?

Dunta coming back was big but it wasn't the be-all, end-all of defensive transformations and besides, Dunta's been beat plenty since he got back. It's not like he's 100% his old self again. No, Richard Smith ran a timid defense for most of the year, again, because he lacks the stones to take the necessary chances. He won't put his guys in a position to make plays and be successful.

He needs to learn this lesson or hit the road once and for all. Next year we're going to probably be starting a rookie safety of some sort and possibly a rookie linebacker at some point. This is not an excuse for Richard Smith to get all timid again. If he tries to reign it all in until the youngsters are up to speed then he'll cost us games.

You're 100% right. We can play with this bunch. Nobody has all the players they want in the NFL except for Pro Bowl teams. Since Smith will never coach one of those he'd better learn how to make chicken salad out of what he's given.
Old 12-15-2008   #3
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:

Anybody with me and think that the "No Talent" excuse is a valid defense for Smith's terrible units for the first 9 weeks of the season?
I'm not - they still need a pass rusher opposite Mario, more athletic safeties, and more strength at defensive tackle. I do believe that Richard Smith was too tentative early on in the season, but I also believe he has learned his lesson and having Reeves improve his play along with #23 returning, has the confidence to do what he has done the last several games. It's working, and if you look back, there were flashes of it earlier this season but it was not consistent (first Tenn game, first Indy game).
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

We still need to improve our secretary, add a competent LB and D-lineman but I'd pretty much echo what Herv said ... I'd fault Smith for our poor performances more than I'd fault the guys in uniform.
Old 12-15-2008   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
We still need to improve our secretary
What, poor dictation is resulting in the delay of game penalties?
Old 12-15-2008   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
We still need to improve our secretary, add a competent LB and D-lineman but I'd pretty much echo what Herv said ... I'd fault Smith for our poor performances more than I'd fault the guys in uniform.
The defense has a secretary? LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
I'm not - they still need a pass rusher opposite Mario, more athletic safeties, and more strength at defensive tackle. I do believe that Richard Smith was too tentative early on in the season, but I also believe he has learned his lesson and having Reeves improve his play along with #23 returning, has the confidence to do what he has done the last several games. It's working, and if you look back, there were flashes of it earlier this season but it was not consistent (first Tenn game, first Indy game).
Richard Smith was entirely too tentative last season up until we basically got knocked out by Cleveland, and then proceeded to dial up some great defensive games like 5 or 6 times down the stretch. We thought he "learned his lesson" then but he brought back the ugly monster that it was at the beginning of last season back.

We're never going to have dudes who would be starters on every other NFL team at every position. I'm just really ready for a fresh set of eyes to put on our defense and to come up with something other than what we've had the past 3 years. It's not like he's gotta come up with a brand new pass rush for the Steelers. We're ranked in the bottom barrel in practically every defensive category you can come up with a stat for despite how great they've played since they were mathmatecally eliminated from the playoffs. If you can raise us to be just "mediocre" we'll mow through most NFL teams.
Sponsored links
Old 12-15-2008   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Haven't you ever heard of the Secretary of Defense? I'm guessing he wants us to get Robert Gates to take Richard Smith's job. You think teams were afraid of LaBeau's defense wait till they see our Gitmo defense.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #9
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
great idea jerek, we need to bring in deacon jones to give this team some fire!
Old 12-15-2008   #10
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
I remember the "Minister of Defense"!
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, someone's gotta be the scapegoat. We might as well make one up because it's looking as if SmithDC is making his annual run to keep his job.

Jerek, were you eyeing your secretary as you were typing? Aaahhm, I'm tellin.
Old 12-15-2008   #12
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
What, poor dictation is resulting in the delay of game penalties?
Someone has to be held responsible for not copying the playbooks correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Jerek, were you eyeing your secretary as you were typing? Aaahhm, I'm tellin.
While that would make for a hilarious Freudian slip, I work in a windowless office and have no secretary. Sorry but I'll have to let the joke die with that.
Old 12-15-2008   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why am I confused and thinking about cheerleaders?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not a fan of RS, and I'm certainly not making excuses (but I have to give him props for the last couple of games!)....but...we still need some talent on our defense. As mentioned above, we need another pass rusher and some secondary personel. We've got some good pieces, but we still need depth and a couple more playmakers on the starting 11.
Old 12-15-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that it's so much of a lack of talent as it is a lack of maturity. We have a lot of talent but they havn't developed yet. I'm going to mark down Mario, T. Johnson, and Demeco down as guys we've seen as developed quickly or peaked (bad choice of words). I see T. Johnson as improved but he probably won't get much better, Mario/Demeco- are studs. Guys like Amobi, Okam, Adibi, Diles, Bennett, Dunta, Molden, etc. have showed us plenty of potential but they aren't there yet as pros. I put Dunta back in there b/c of his injury. All these guys are people we've drafted that have so much potential and talent... they just need some time to develop into true professional players.

Note: This post isn't one in favor of keeping or getting rid of Rick Smith. The same would be true for most coaches/coordinators. Some coaches can get their players to develop better or faster than others, some can get their players to play better than others. It's up to Gary Kubiak and Richard Smith to find that guy for our defense.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see why it's either or.

Yeah - the defense has improved, and a more aggressive mindset has probably had something to do with it, but if we took the yardage stats from the 4-game winning streak and extended them to the first 14 games of the season, we'd still be only 14th in rushing D, 18th in Passing D, and 17th in overall D. While it's just barely, the last time I checked, 17th is still in the bottom half of a 32 team league.

In my mind, while Richard Smith's not the worst DC in NFL history - heck, he's probably not the worst DC in NFL present, he can be improved upon. I think you can also say that about some of the defensive personnel too, because if the only problem in weeks 1-12 was the defensive philosophy, and we've fixed that, we should be better than 17th post-fix.

I don't know if Richard Smith has saved his job. Yeah, I would like to see him move on, but who replaces him is far more important than just fire him or don't fire him. Even when we know who our '09 DC is going to be - even if it's my first choice (and I don't know who that is), or RS is back, you can't know if it was a good move until we see results. That is to say if we hire (fill in the blank with Mike Nolan, Marvin Lewis, Jim Johnson, Mike Waufle or whoever you like best), and we finish in the bottom half defensively next year - I'm not happy. If we bring back Richard Smith and finish top 10 - I'm ecstatic. Any praising, complaining, predicting, celebrating, commiserating or whining that happens in the interim will be meaningless.
Old 12-15-2008   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Curious to see Marcus' take on this.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We had to have a coach feel that his job was already foregone before he started dialing up more pressure.
Did Richard Smith himself tell you that, or is that something that you chose to pull out of your (_!_) in order to make your...point? You have no idea what he's feeling.

What the truth is, is that some of you are indeed looking for a scapegoat. a fall guy, to hang (fire) to make yourselves feel better because they didn't make the playoffs. Someone's got to burn for that. Fire Richard Smith, and all is right in the world.

You are just looking for someone to blame.

We probably now do have enough talent on the defense to compete. but that "talent" (shall we run off the names?) has to be developed into actual players, which takes time. Smith is being more aggressive lately, but I'm not going to pretend to know why, because I have no idea why or what the circumstances are. It could be that he's actually learning what works best, and it could be that he's actually developing into a better coordinator himself. He, the other coaches, and the players, don't sit off in separate rooms by themselves. They have to work together as a team, develop as a team, learn as team, become a team.

They seem to me, like they are on the right track. This so-called theory that he just plays conservative or vanilla because he's afraid he might lose his job is nothing but steaming horseshit.

Now, I don't know if Kubiak is going to fire Richard Smith at the end of the season. He made the comment on the radio today saying that the defense had become more aggressive. He didn't say why, and more than likely won't. But I"ll go out on a limb and predict he's got his mind already made up, one way or the other.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #19
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Did Richard Smith himself tell you that, or is that something that you chose to pull out of your (_!_) in order to make your...point? You have no idea what he's feeling.

What the truth is, is that some of you are indeed looking for a scapegoat. a fall guy, to hang (fire) to make yourselves feel better because they didn't make the playoffs. Someone's got to burn for that. Fire Richard Smith, and all is right in the world.

We probably now do have enough talent on the defense to compete. but that "talent" (shall we run off the names?) has to be developed into actual players, which takes time. Smith is being more aggressive lately, but I'm not going to pretend to know why, because I have no idea why or what the circumstances are. It could be that he's actually learning what works best, and it could be that he's actually developing into a better coordinator himself. He, the other coaches, and the players, don't sit off in separate rooms by themselves. They have to work together as a team, develop as a team, learn as team, become a team.

They seem to me, like they are on the right track. This so-called theory that he just plays conservative or vanilla because he's afraid he might lose his job is nothing but steaming horseshit.

Now, I don't know if Kubiak is going to fire Richard Smith at the end of the season. He made the comment on the radio today saying that the defense had become more aggressive. He didn't say why, and more than likely won't. But I"ll go out on a limb and predict he's got his mind already made up, one way or the other.
Look at the bolded Marcus, maybe you need to relax and take a breath. A lot of people are wondering out loud as to why the defense has all of a sudden become more aggressive. Before then it was back off 10 yards on a 3rd and 5 to go and watch the first down happen. 4th Down Defense is the worst in the league? 9-10 90% Third down defense is not spectacular either. We have allowed only 184 attempts on 3rd down with a success rate of 39.6%, which means we sucked on first and second down considering where we are ranked on total first down plays, 19th.

It is not that we are looking for someone to blame, the defense and turnovers are the worst stats on this team. If they improve this team would have a better record.
Old 12-15-2008   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

And some of us just saw a god-awful defense ranked almost last in every category and figured that the leader of the defense - you know, the guy behind the schemes, plays, and talent evaluation - should be held accountable.

You can assume that people want a scapegoat, or you can understand that there are many reasons behind the various opinions of fans.

Besides, the "blame" for not making the playoffs could (if you wanted to) be laid squarely at the feet of our fumbling/interception throwing QBs. So perhaps it's all a matter of individual perspective at the end of the day.

Personally, I see lots of reasons for missing the playoffs, and it is not one man's fault. JMO

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read