Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2008   #1
sbalderrama

Default That throw by Schaub...

to AJ for 65 of whatever yards was a rocket. In his early games alot of his throws seemed kindof weak and looked like rainbows. I don't know if he has gotten stronger or better technique or what but this year it seems like I've seen a progression to throws that look like something a serious NFL quarterback throws. That throw he had time and he just cranked that sucker up and it shot out of there. I don't think any other QB in the league could have thrown that one much better.

I saw that throw and just thought "holy crap, that looked like a real quarterback." Good stuff.
Old 12-14-2008   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: That throw by Schaub...

I'd have to go back and watch to see exactly how far AJ dragged the defender to determine how far it traveled in the air, but AJ had to slow up for it or that would have been a TD.
Old 12-14-2008   #3
sbalderrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'd have to go back and watch to see exactly how far AJ dragged the defender to determine how far it traveled in the air, but AJ had to slow up for it or that would have been a TD.
maybe a bit... and as a side note.. how sweet was that little slow down and then hit the afterburners by AJ to get open on that play.
Old 12-14-2008   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep. He slowed down. It would have been a TD.

The ball still floated, IMO. Matt is throwing later than he should, and the ball is floating more than he should. I think he's putting too much stock into putting "touch" on the ball.

But then again....I'm not a football player, nor a coach at any level. So what the heck do I know? LOL. I love being a Keyboard Warrior.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

If Schaub continues to progress in all other areas, then his arm is strong enough. He doesn't have a gun, but that's not the most important thing.
Old 12-14-2008   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

We can nitpick placement, etc. on Schaub but two things he definitively does are working the middle of the field (a lost area for both HWWNBN and Rosenfels) and will consistently challenge down field.
Old 12-14-2008   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We can nitpick placement, etc. on Schaub but two things he definitively does are working the middle of the field (a lost area for both HWWNBN and Rosenfels) and will consistently challenge down field.
His accuracy has been pretty impressive lately too. I don't have the "Oh #$%@" thought go through my head every time he throws a pass into tight coverage like I've had with Sage & HWWNBN.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2008   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He knows who the bread winner is (AJ) that's for dang sure.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #9
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah he has his flaws but when you look at his Yards per Attempt and his completion percentage it is really impressive.
Old 12-14-2008   #10
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I was just SO proud and happy of how he stood in the pocket strong and took the shots after all the BS talking about how he was "scared" of the Titans.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #11
taruky
Rookie

Quote:
AJ had to slow down a little, but that wasn't for lack of arm strength. You watch the replay and he clearly wasn't putting his all into it, as a matter of fact he kind of threw it while standing tall rather than leaning his body into the throw. Matt has a pretty quick release and can throw the ball on the drop of a dime, which isn't the case for a lot of QBs. For the record he threw it about 45-50 yards. I would take AJ having to slow down a tad over overshooting him any day.
taruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by taruky View Post
AJ had to slow down a little, but that wasn't for lack of arm strength. You watch the replay and he clearly wasn't putting his all into it, as a matter of fact he kind of threw it while standing tall rather than leaning his body into the throw. Matt has a pretty quick release and can throw the ball on the drop of a dime, which isn't the case for a lot of QBs. For the record he threw it about 45-50 yards. I would take AJ having to slow down a tad over overshooting him any day.
I have never seen Schaub throw a deep ball that our WR caught in stride. That said, I'll reiterate the point in my second post - his arm strength is good enough, all things considered. It's not something I'm going to complain about.
Old 12-15-2008   #13
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have never seen Schaub throw a deep ball that our WR caught in stride.
I can remember one in particular--the very first TD he threw to AJ in week one last year against the Chiefs. Play action brought the safety up and Schaub hit AJ for an easy 77 yd TD.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #14
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
His accuracy has been pretty impressive lately too. I don't have the "Oh #$%@" thought go through my head every time he throws a pass into tight coverage like I've had with Sage & HWWNBN.
The one that I did in this game was to AJ on the right hash where MS threaded the needle between three defenders. From the camera angle on the TV, I thought for sure that ball was going right into the hands of the defender under the route, I mean right on his numbers. I still don't know how it made it to AJ, and neither did Tasker. That was one of those "Oh #$%@" moments. But to be honest I don't have those "Oh #$%@" moments when he drops back to pass anymore. They dissapeared about 4 games ago. Now when he drops back, I'm wondering how many yards it's going to be for, not if it will get to the right guy. I thought the play calling yesterday did a great job of changing it up at the right time. Some of the plays hurt, and some of them were not sucessful, but it kept the Titans in check.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008   #15
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
I think Schaub sitting on the sidelines watching Sage implode week after week helped him out alot. He has been throwing the ball away, taking sacks and not trying to make miracle throws like he was at the beginning of the season.
Old 12-15-2008   #16
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Schaub has never been known for having a cannon. He was known for his accuracy, which is highlighted by the fact that he's been running the same system that he ran at Virginia.
Old 12-15-2008   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
The one that I did in this game was to AJ on the right hash where MS threaded the needle between three defenders. From the camera angle on the TV, I thought for sure that ball was going right into the hands of the defender under the route, I mean right on his numbers. I still don't know how it made it to AJ, and neither did Tasker. That was one of those "Oh #$%@" moments. But to be honest I don't have those "Oh #$%@" moments when he drops back to pass anymore. They dissapeared about 4 games ago. Now when he drops back, I'm wondering how many yards it's going to be for, not if it will get to the right guy. I thought the play calling yesterday did a great job of changing it up at the right time. Some of the plays hurt, and some of them were not sucessful, but it kept the Titans in check.
I agree. That pass definitely got my a-hole puckered up. It was right on the money though and Schaub put some mustard on the ball too.

Oh, by the way..................AJ's a friggin Beast!!
Old 12-15-2008   #18
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

In simple terms, as long as Schaub is healthy, he is our QB.
Old 12-15-2008   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
I can remember one in particular--the very first TD he threw to AJ in week one last year against the Chiefs. Play action brought the safety up and Schaub hit AJ for an easy 77 yd TD.
Nope. I have it on DVR still. AJ had to slow up, but he was so wide open, no one was near him. That ball was underthrown.

As I said, I don't care, I just notice these things. It's more important to me that they have a good scheme, that AJ is getting that wide open, that Schaub's recognizing the coverages and matchups, and that he's challenging the defense and getting the ball there.
Old 12-15-2008   #20
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope. I have it on DVR still. AJ had to slow up, but he was so wide open, no one was near him. That ball was underthrown.
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I just watched it on NFL.com and it looks to my eye as if he hit him in stride. He may have underthrown him slightly, but if he did it was rather minimal.

Regardless, that play was a great indicator of the future of this offense.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read