Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-14-2008   #1
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek
Default Great win ... but we got lucky

We did a lot of great things today (AJ is unstoppable, some great defensive stands) and we were "good enough to win" ... but ...

Kerry Collins sucked today. He had just about all day to throw, overthrew a number of his receivers (some of whom would've been end zone had they made the catch) and just didn't make the kind of plays he has made for most of the season. I lost track of how many times Morlon Greenwood and Jacque Reeves got scorched in coverage.

Jeff Fisher? Pass on 4th and 3 instead of kick a 42 yard field goal for the lead? Seriously?

We committed a *bunch* of mind-numbingly dumb penalties. Drive-killing false starts, big-yardage PI's (obvious PI's too.)

Our offensive line collapsed like a house of cards. Credit to Schaub for playing a pretty heady game and to Slaton for being able to occasionally duck the defender that was in the backfield to meet him after he took the handoff. Our O-line can't hold against elite D-lines.

Great game, Texans. Really. And I couldn't be happier that the one game I attended in person this year happens to be the game we beat the Tits. Be proud of every win, be especially proud when you knock off a team that's 11-1 and be even prouder when they're your loud-mouthed division rivals.

Boo to the ridiculous post-game comments made by Finnegan, Fisher and crew ... you lost and you're handing out put-downs? Be serious and take responsibility for your pathetic play.

Great game, Texans ... but can you imagine how good this team would be if we could stop turning the ball over and finish our drives?
Old 12-14-2008   #2
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Great win ... but we got lucky

I disagree.. We outplayed the ticks.. They made a bunch of mistakes also..
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #3
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I disagree.. We outplayed the ticks.. They made a bunch of mistakes also..
What does "outplayed" mean? Scored more points? Tried harder?
Old 12-14-2008   #4
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

They got lucky AJ slipped on that 3rd and goal play or he probably catches another TD pass.

They got lucky White's fumble late in the game bounced right back to him.

They got lucky on that pass interference call at the end of the first half.

Luck cuts both ways.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #5
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Outplayed means outplayed...Played better football on the field.

End Thread.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #6
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

I submit our defensive pressure up front contributed to Collins' poor play. The D line was in his face much of the day, something he's not accustomed to with that line and that run-oriented offense.
Old 12-14-2008   #7
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
They got lucky AJ slipped on that 3rd and goal play or he probably catches another TD pass.

They got lucky White's fumble late in the game bounced right back to him.

They got lucky on that pass interference call at the end of the first half.

Luck cuts both ways.
They also got lucky Kris Brown missed a 26 yard FG.

I see Jereks point though. At halftime I found myself hoping that those bad passes and dropped balls didn't turn into big completions in the second half.
Collins had all day to make decisions early in the game.

But I wouldn't say we got lucky to win.
dc_txtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2008   #8
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans had atleast as many mistakes as the Tards. If you take away a mistake for a mistake the Texans still come out on top.
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #9
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Gee, when the Texans make those mistakes, noone ever says the other team got lucky.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #10
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Gee, when the Texans make those mistakes, noone ever says the other team got lucky.
Excellent point. Have some rep.
Old 12-14-2008   #11
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You win the debate. Rep coming.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Eyeball test Bro... I watched the same game you did and we outplayed the Titans, we moved the ball more consistently. I always thought the texans had the Upperhand. IOnce the Ticks couldn't run the ball, I felt they had to rely on some lucky plays to move the ball.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #13
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 78716 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Out played means having the most points at the end of the game.

I see your point of view about getting lucky, but all that matters is at the end of the day is there is a W next to our name.

The Colts got lucky twice, the Jags once, The Ravens got lucky we didn't play them week 2, the Vikes got lucky with a few breaks they got during the game.

I will take lucky over good any day of the week.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #14
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Y'all are missing my point.

Yes, the Titans made a lot of mistakes too (multiple roughing penalties, etc.) Yes they are lucky that our guys didn't capitalize some too.

I do disagree with the idea that we significantly pressured Collins. We had a couple of great plays and I don't have the benefit of a replay, but my impression while at the game was that Collins pretty regularly had a lot of time to throw to receivers who were pretty regularly torching their coverage.

My point is the differences between 11-1 and 6-7 are a lot more subtle than most people realize. They are, to name a few examples, dumb penalties, costly turnovers, inability to finish drives, and mistakes at the wrong time.

The Texans played well enough to win today, but it was a sloppy win. We're fortunate the Titans were sloppier.

As a coach, a player or a fan you'll take a win no matter how it comes to you ... and you'll be grateful for it.

As a coach, a player or a fan you want to be realistic about your play. Enjoy the victory and soak it up but recognize if we play the Titans like that 10 games this season, we're losing 8 of them.

We've beaten bad teams soundly this year, we've won some tough games against even or better competition and that is a major step forward for our franchise. But we're literally two turnovers away from 9-5 and wild card contention.

Our favorite NFL team is capable of more and I look forward to the day that the Texans deliver it.
Old 12-14-2008   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
The Texans regularly make those mistakes. The Titans don't.

7-7 vs. 12-2. If it's all about the W, you do the math.
Old 12-14-2008   #16
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Quote:
Y'all are missing my point.

Yes, the Titans made a lot of mistakes too (multiple roughing penalties, etc.) Yes they are lucky that our guys didn't capitalize some too.

I do disagree with the idea that we significantly pressured Collins. We had a couple of great plays and I don't have the benefit of a replay, but my impression while at the game was that Collins pretty regularly had a lot of time to throw to receivers who were pretty regularly torching their coverage.

My point is the differences between 11-1 and 6-7 are a lot more subtle than most people realize. They are, to name a few examples, dumb penalties, costly turnovers, inability to finish drives, and mistakes at the wrong time.

The Texans played well enough to win today, but it was a sloppy win. We're fortunate the Titans were sloppier.

As a coach, a player or a fan you'll take a win no matter how it comes to you ... and you'll be grateful for it.

As a coach, a player or a fan you want to be realistic about your play. Enjoy the victory and soak it up but recognize if we play the Titans like that 10 games this season, we're losing 8 of them.

We've beaten bad teams soundly this year, we've won some tough games against even or better competition and that is a major step forward for our franchise. But we're literally two turnovers away from 9-5 and wild card contention.

Our favorite NFL team is capable of more and I look forward to the day that the Texans deliver it.
Shorter version: The Texans weren't perfect so I have the right to complain.
Old 12-14-2008   #17
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Shorter version: The Texans weren't perfect so I have the right to complain.
Fine if you disagree and think there was nothing to improve on but no reason to be snide about it.

EDIT: never mind, you were the guy in the NSZ calling people "Bible chumps" the other day. I guess we won't be spending a lot more time debating much of anything on this board.

Last edited by jerek; 12-14-2008 at 09:59 PM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #18
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

About 10 of the 12 Titan wins were "ugly" mistake-ridden games, yet
nobody calls them "lucky." Quit hatin.' OD score another TD and
DUST THEM HATERS OFF!!!
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #19
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Quote:
Fine if you disagree and think there was nothing to improve on but no reason to be snide about it.
Not trying to be snide, but what do you expect with this thread?

There is certainly a time and place to discuss what the Texans did poorly and what can be done accordingly, but you'll probably have a more receptive audience here after letting us soak up the win.

ETA: Speaking for myself only, the bitching and moaning is a contagion on this board, so when we have reason to be shiny happy rainbow people, we don't need the buzz harshers to come in and remind us that we're still not a playoff team.
Old 12-14-2008   #20
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans regularly make those mistakes. The Titans don't.

7-7 vs. 12-2. If it's all about the W, you do the math.
I do see your point. Tennessee played worse today than they usually do. Maybe we caught them on a ''down'' day. Maybe they wer looking ahead to Pittsburgh. But how do you determine if the mistakes were a product of them being sloppy or the Texans forcing them into mistakes?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read