Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ha! Miami is looking at our O-line coach...

gcolby

Waterboy
Blurb in the Chronicle this morning says Saban is looking at our offensive line coach. :shocked

I guess he didn't watch most of our games this year. Or last year. Or the year before that.

gcolby said:
Blurb in the Chronicle this morning says Saban is looking at our offensive line coach. :shocked

I guess he didn't watch most of our games this year.

LOL, saw that on the news last night.

:rofl:

haven't you heard?
We have a top 10 offensive line (according to a players quote)

Maybe they will let him go and clear the way for Hudson Houck who is completing the last year of his contract this season.

Here is his profile from the Chargers' website.

Couple of tidbits:

Houck spent nine seasons (1993-2001) molding the Dallas Cowboys’ offensive line into one of the top units in league history. Dallas was one of only three teams in the NFL to allow fewer than 40 sacks in each of Houck’s nine years. The Cowboys were the only team to surrender fewer than 20 sacks more than once (three times) in that span. Prior to Houck’s arrival in Dallas, the Cowboys had allowed fewer than 30 sacks in a season only once in franchise history. Dallas accomplished that feat six times during his tenure.

From 1993-2000, Dallas led the league in fewest sacks allowed with 203 — Miami was second with 225.

During Houck’s 19-year career as an NFL coach, his lines have helped running backs produce six NFL rushing titles and 19 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

Plus, somehow he managed this year to gel an OL starting just one returning player, two yeoman (both of whom are signed for less money than McKinney, Wiegert & Wade), a rookie 3rd round center a rookie 7th round RT.

As an aside, anybody remember Bruce Willis playing this guy as a singing cat burgler?--I guess that is what he did before the coaching gig.

This guy seems to have some good history behind him.......and I did see improvement in that "zone blocking system" as the season went on and DD saw some more holes.......maybe this guy is doing his magic as we speak you never know. Heck considering what he had to work with......A guard who didn't play football till college, and Div. III player, and McKinny and Weigrht who impressed me none, maybe this guy is prutty good. But why in the heck would he want to coach that horrible O-Line in Miami? Its 10 times worse than ours.

gcolby said:

I guess he didn't watch most of our games this year. Or last year. Or the year before that.

We just hired our o-line coach last year. His name is Tom Pendry and he came over to install the zone blocking scheme.

Tom is a hell of a coach and the Texans would be losing a great coach. Seth Wand isn't a NFL Tackle and Weigert can't stay on the field. Get a good left tackle and this team will change in a hurry!!

Mentioned on 610 this morning that they wouldn't be surprised if Pendry was the next coach to make a move. Namely to go work with Saban at Miami as the OC.

If that was the case, who to replace with? They mentioned Marciano (TE coach) possibly moving to O line coach. Of course, everyone is talking about Norm Chow... maybe to bring him in as the OC? :hmmm:

I'd be surprised if Chow would make a lateral move like that. He's got the stroke to get a head coaching job. Also, they are mentioning that SF is interested in Pete Carroll, in which case Norm Chow would probably follow him.

noxiousdog said:
I'd be surprised if Chow would make a lateral move like that. He's got the stroke to get a head coaching job. Also, they are mentioning that SF is interested in Pete Carroll, in which case Norm Chow would probably follow him.

College OC to Pro OC is hardly a lateral move. I could be wrong, but seriously doubt that any NFL team would consider him for a HC position at this point in his career.

if Pendry leaves.. I think making the move to grab Houck would be a big step in the right direction to fix our Oline.

Houck has done alot with Olines that have less talent than ours. And he is no stranger to Texas.

the wonger need food said:
College OC to Pro OC is hardly a lateral move. I could be wrong, but seriously doubt that any NFL team would consider him for a HC position at this point in his career.

It's a lateral move when he could have a college HC job if he wanted it. He already turned down one SEC job. He's obviously waiting for a specific situation, and I would doubt pro coordinator job is on that list.

noxiousdog said:
Also, they are mentioning that SF is interested in Pete Carroll, in which case Norm Chow would probably follow him.
I think that Chow would have to be the favorite to replace Carroll as USC head coach if Pete went to the Niners.

ThirdEyeBC32 said:
He can go, I wouldn't shed a tear. Although I have to say he didn't put on any gear and play. They need more than a new coach.

Good call,you know Kansas city made that mistake last year with their Defensive Coordinater,and turned out it was their players,as i see it Robinson had a great year at the University Of Texas whileCunningham got the sloppy D in KC.Just something to keep in mind

Lucky said:
I think that Chow would have to be the favorite to replace Carroll as USC head coach if Pete went to the Niners.

That would be a more likely scenario than him wanting to come here and face the FIRE CHOW threads ;)

I'm pretty sure I just heard Mark Berman say that the Texans denied permission to the Dolphins to talk to Pendry.

I thought I saw somewhere, possibly this past week's Chonic, that Miami was also looking at our D-line coach...

*edit* there ya go, it's in the link above.
The Texans might have to cross this bridge again in the near future. Saban also is interested in defensive line coach Todd Grantham, who was assistant head coach/defensive line under Saban at the Michigan State from 1996-98. Grantham is believed to be a leading candidate for the Dolphins' defensive coordinator position

Interesting they made Pendry off limits...

Wow ain't that somethin? Not only does Sabin want our OLine coach, but our DLine coach........to be coordinators? :hmmm: Maybe this coaching staff has a lot more "talent" then I thought, or maybe Saban is just plain crazy. Its funny because those coaches work in the areas that are our most pressing offseason concerns. Maybe we should shut up about all of the "FIRE THE COACHING STAFF" and just get some better players and let them do their work.

All the "geniuses" that want Palmer fired should be extremely happy (I would have said ecstatic, but they wouldn't have understood that word) that Capers isn't allowing Pendry to leave. Why? Because Pendry has a lot more NFL experience as an offensive coordinator than as an offensive line coach, including a stint as Capers' offensive coordinator at Carolina. It could very well be that Capers is keeping Pendry around because he wants him to be the next offensive coordinator and that Palmer may be on a very short leash next year.

However, under the "Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it" category:
Pendry's experience as an offensive coordinator has been under defensive-minded head coaches and is hardly the wide open style so many Houston fans have been whining and crying for. Pendry has been an offensive coordinator for Wade Phillips at Buffalo (1998-2000), Dom Capers at Carolina (1995-1997), and Marty Schottenheimer at Kansas City (1989-1992).

Back