Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-13-2008   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Post McGuffie to transfer[Texas A&M is the frontrunner as of now]

Quote:
University of Michigan true freshman tailback Sam McGuffie will no longer be wearing the maize and blue. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Houston, Tex. native confirmed to Rivals.com that he received his official release from the university on Friday morning.

"I just got out of the compliance office and picked up my release," said McGuffie. "They gave me a full release no restrictions. I will be somewhere else in January."

"I'm looking to stay in or around Texas," he said. "There are a couple of schools that I'm interested in such as Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State and a couple of others."

He did say that Texas A&M would likely be considered the frontrunner as of right now.

"They were one of my top teams last year," McGuffie said of the Aggies. "I have a former teammate, Chris Lathrop, that signed with them last year and he loves it. I've talked to him a bunch about it. I know a lot of guys on the team there and I have a bunch of friends from home that go there, too."

link

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McGuffie to transfer[Texas A&M is the frontrunner as of now]

Wow. Didnt see that coming.

So will he have to wait until 2010 to play ball?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #3
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Wow. Didnt see that coming.

So will he have to wait until 2010 to play ball?

I'm not sure of the rules of college football. He may lose a year of eligibility.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw him a couple times this year on TV playing for Michigan and it looked like he was their starting running back, which seems pretty dang good for a "true freshman" ? Wonder what happened up there, why he decided to leave and come back this way ? I remember the 2 schools he was most interested in attending were Michigan & the U of Cal.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I saw him a couple times this year on TV playing for Michigan and it looked like he was their starting running back, which seems pretty dang good for a "true freshman" ? Wonder what happened up there, why he decided to leave and come back this way ? I remember the 2 schools he was most interested in attending were Michigan & the U of Cal.
According to Rich Rodriguez, at least a part of it was that he was homesick. Also, FWIW, he suffered his 3rd concussion of the season in the Ohio State game.
Old 12-13-2008   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
According to Rich Rodriguez, at least a part of it was that he was homesick. Also, FWIW, he suffered his 3rd concussion of the season in the Ohio State game.
3rd concussion in one season? Wow...

At that rate he wouldn't be able to continue playing football for very long. Having to sit out in 2009 should be beneficial from a health perspective
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
I'm not sure of the rules of college football. He may lose a year of eligibility.
He can redshirt the 09 season and begin playing in 2010 as a redshirt sophomore.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Brandon Minor was the starter but McGuffie did get a lot of work before he started getting hurt.

He has a really tight-knit family and he started getting depressed after his grandmother died.

Add to that, apparently he didn't feel like he fit in with his teammates, so he was lonely and homesick.

Plus, I believe he did suffer three concussions this seaon, as ChampionTexan mentioned.
Old 12-13-2008   #9
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd go to Oklahoma if I was in his spot. Won't get too many concussions with the lines OU has over the years.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

These kids go way, way out of state then they have to go to school with a bunch of other kids that are local to the area, have families and friends nearby and also have to deal with a little climate change and even some culture shock. The novelty of being away from home wears off fast for some of these kids when their new buddies get more visits from friends and family than the outsiders from far away places like Houston Texas do.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #11
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
These kids go way, way out of state then they have to go to school with a bunch of other kids that are local to the area, have families and friends nearby and also have to deal with a little climate change and even some culture shock. The novelty of being away from home wears off fast for some of these kids when their new buddies get more visits from friends and family than the outsiders from far away places like Houston Texas do.
Bingo...

When I went to play ball in Florida I got very homesick...I drove home on weekends sometimes...Crazy stuff...
Old 12-13-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

he wants to go to A&M? maybe he had more than 3 concussions
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008   #13
Ckw

This is awesome news. I am ready for it to be official that McGuffie is an Aggie. Whooop!
Old 12-13-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
This is awesome news. I am ready for it to be official that McGuffie is an Aggie. Whooop!
Why? Cyrus Gray is a better running back.
Old 12-13-2008   #15
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Why? Cyrus Gray is a better running back.
Agreed. Glad you noticed. But Bradley Stephens has been a bit of a letdown so far and Goodson is probably going pro (as dumb as that is with as terrible of a season as he had) so adding McGuffie would only help.

Regardless A&M is still a ways away from being a good, competitive football team. Now the basketball team on the other hand...
Old 12-13-2008   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Agreed. Glad you noticed. But Bradley Stephens has been a bit of a letdown so far and Goodson is probably going pro (as dumb as that is with as terrible of a season as he had) so adding McGuffie would only help.

Regardless A&M is still a ways away from being a good, competitive football team. Now the basketball team on the other hand...
I haven't talked to Mike directly, but we went to high school together and one of our mutual friends told me he wasn't making the grades at A&M so he was going pro.

As for McGuffie, I don't see where he fits in since y'all changed to a more pro style offense. Maybe a slot WR? Lord knows y'all need help there.
Old 12-14-2008   #17
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
As for McGuffie, I don't see where he fits in since y'all changed to a more pro style offense. Maybe a slot WR? Lord knows y'all need help there.
If we ever start running the pro style offense. It was essentially all spread this season.

Good idea though. I would be interested in seeing McGuffie in the slot. If he has decent hands, he could be used kind of like a Wes Welker type.
Old 12-14-2008   #18
IMA TEXAN
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 IMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
he wants to go to A&M? maybe he had more than 3 concussions
Michigan, now A&M? Maybe he just likes losing.
IMA TEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #19
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMA TEXAN View Post
Michigan, now A&M? Maybe he just likes losing.
You said it.

Maybe he should make a call to Mike Goodson, who decided he's had enough and is moving on to the NFL.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
Wow, he's leaving Michigan! He should stick it around but oh well, this isn't the NFL and they don't have contracts (well, you know what I mean). How about Texas Tech or TCU, huh? Those would be good options, maybe not Tech since it is pass heavy but TCU is sexy.

He would fit well at Texas Tech, I think.

He's shifty enough to run the ball in Tech's offense and he seems to have decent hands out of the backfield.

Can he block though? That is a must for a Tech RB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read