Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-16-2005   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Williams

Ok WR is NOT our biggest need, but would you draft him at 13 if Dj is gone, Pacman is gone maybe Rolle is gone?

reason I ask, is last season... people had a hard time choosing between Mike or roy (if Mike still could have come out).. now when I am reading the different threads it is like Mike isn't that good .. It is funny because last season he is almost a top 5 lock and this season way lower..

of course that could be the way I am reading into the threads
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #2
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa

I would get him for sure! We need a 2nd WR and he'd be a great weapon for Carr.
Old 02-16-2005   #3
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I personally think that we dont need a WR bad enough to take one in the 1st round of the draft. If WR was that important then we would be better served picking up one in the 2nd round who could still be a good #2, but for way less money than Big Mike. Either that or trade down and get a Marqus Clayton.

Oh, and I had Roy Williams over Fitzgerald and Williams a definite 3rd. Go me!!
Old 02-16-2005   #4
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I think if Mike Williams is still there at #13 then we should take him. Two huge, fast, super-star-in-the-making wide receivers would make match-up problems for anyone, and you couldn't double either receiver all game without getting hurt. Of course, that's assuming Carr had time to throw it to them, but I don't see us using our first round choice on an OL at this point anyways. If our OL can muster some pass protection next season, the addition of Mike Williams would make both Carr and Andre much better players, IMO.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #5
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this in the last Mike Williams thread and im gonna mention it again ......

I wouldnt have a problem with the Texans taking Mike Williams @ 13 even though there are amny more pressing needs . Although he could possibly fill one of those more pressing needs with a move to the TE position . At 6'5" 230 he has the size for the position and with his speed would pose some Serious match-up problems for the opposing defenses . The main question here is IF he is a good enough blocker to make the switch worth the pick .

Tony Gonzalez @ 6'3" 248 (Chiefs) Marcus Pollard @ 6-3, 247 (Colts) Are two of the most effective TE's in the NFL , Williams size matches up with them minus about 17 lbs .

Even if he doesnt have the blocking skills to be an NFL TE the tandem of Andre Johnson and Mike Williams @ the two wide out positions would definately open up the center of the field . Opposing teams couldnt afford to stick 8 men in the box every play because of the big play threat thus opening up the running game . Even with the mediocre O-Line the offense would be better by leaps and bounds. (The O-Line would still need to be addressed @ some point either via draft or free agency)

The other question becomes .... Is there enough Football to go around with Johnson , D.Davis , Gaffney and Williams . The answer is simple ..... WINNING SOLVES EVERYTHING!

Call me crazy but the idea of a play-maker like Mike Williams going against a safety or linebacker is ...... the type of Mis-match coaches try to exploit at every possible opportunity.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #6
Dionysus22
Veteran

That is a nice thought but I still believe if we get Billy Miller the ball more that would take care of that void of not having another pair of hands besides AJ.
Dionysus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #7
Rosusu
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus22
That is a nice thought but I still believe if we get Billy Miller the ball more that would take care of that void of not having another pair of hands besides AJ.

Billy Miller is still on the team? I wasnt sure after I didnt see him do anything last year. (not his fault, no balls thrown to him = no cathes)
Old 02-17-2005   #8
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

we would be better served by taking a wr in the 2nd round (like a Roddy White from UAB), and use that number one on getting another solid defensive player.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #9
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I was reminded by a friend of mine how great Mike Williams is or was in USC. He has terrific hands and he's so huge and fast. The one thing I do remember is that he's too big to play WR and that he may outgrow the position. Do yall think the might actually move to tightend someday?
Old 02-17-2005   #10
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure that "Fast" is a word I would use in talking about Williams as a WR. You make a good point though that he might be best as a TE. Then he would be "Fast" for that position. Certainly is a big target with good hands though.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #11
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

Don't we already have a "fast TE" with good hands, but cannot run block as well? Can Mike Williams run block and pass protect well at the TE position?
Old 02-17-2005   #12
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

The only way I would take Williams is if: DJ, Jones,Spears,Rolle,J.Miller, and Edwards were gone and nobody was offering any thing good to move back. Williams would be a good value at 13. Id rather take him there than reach for another player.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read