Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2008   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AFC South Most Influential Division in the NFL?

With the addition of Rick Smith to the NFL's competition committee (the committee that oversees all things NFL from rules to play, conduct and general "product") 3 of the 8 seats on that committee are now filled by members of the AFC South.

Jeff Fisher is the Co Chairman, BIll Polian of the Colts and Rick.

The competition committee is EXTREMELY influential in the decisions made in this league. With 3 of the 8 members coming from our division You have to think we're going to be tapped into the pulse of the decision making in this league for some time to come. It also means that Rick "good" Smith can be expected to be around for a long time.

Go Texans.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC South Most Influential Division in the NFL?

It's all a conspiracy to move the Jaguars someplace where we would have shorter plane rides. Maybe Oklahoma needs a team.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

They'd probably sell out their games in Oklahoma.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #4
ZX758
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 ZX758 was voted MVPZX758 was voted MVPZX758 was voted MVPZX758 was voted MVPZX758 was voted MVP

Oklahoma has a team, it's called the cowboys, they should give it to San Antonio.
ZX758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #5
RMB_Titan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
It's all a conspiracy to move the Jaguars someplace where we would have shorter plane rides. Maybe Oklahoma needs a team.
If Jax goes anywhere, it will most likely be to Los Angeles. Then they'd most likely move them to the NFC West and move St. Louis into the AFC South.
Haha...if that happened, at least you guys would no longer consistently be in 4th place.
RMB_Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB_Titan View Post
If Jax goes anywhere, it will most likely be to Los Angeles. Then they'd most likely move them to the NFC West and move St. Louis into the AFC South.
Haha...if that happened, at least you guys would no longer consistently be in 4th place.
Several months ago, I came up with a dream realignment plan for if Jax moved to LA.

I say this knowing it would never ever happen, but here goes:

Jax to the NFC West
St. Louis to the NFC South
New Orleans to the AFC South

I think that would be great - it would instantly create two great rivalries - Ten vs. NO, and Houston vs. NO.

It makes sense geographically, too... I mean, if Indy is in the AFC South, I see no reason why St. Louis can't be in the NFC south.

Anyway, it will never happen, but it would be nice.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #7
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Pretty sure the saints fans already hate their division rivals to an unhealthy degree and would hate not playing them anymore
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2008   #8
RMB_Titan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Several months ago, I came up with a dream realignment plan for if Jax moved to LA.

I say this knowing it would never ever happen, but here goes:

Jax to the NFC West
St. Louis to the NFC South
New Orleans to the AFC South

I think that would be great - it would instantly create two great rivalries - Ten vs. NO, and Houston vs. NO.

It makes sense geographically, too... I mean, if Indy is in the AFC South, I see no reason why St. Louis can't be in the NFC south.

Anyway, it will never happen, but it would be nice.
Yeah. That's a good scenario as well. But I think we'd have a bigger rivalry with St. Louis...which would stem from the '99 Super Bowl. They denied us so I'm sure we would be happy to take them into our division then proceed to make them our new whipping post.
RMB_Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #9
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
San Antonio!

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

please rename this thread "NFL realignment is more interesting to talk about than the mighty competition committee".

Fair enough. I don't know that I see them re arranging the divisions again. If they did, We might be one of the teams they moved and I'd hate to be in the NFC South. It's the thug Division. I love our division. I love the class of the colts, the "mean" of jax and the delinquent tax. and the um... "character" of houston. ok, ok, the nice guys of the NFL! Go Texans out nice them! but you know, when you look at those four teams we have alot more in common with the Colts organization than we do with those other two troublemakers. I'm OK with that. That is one of the most respected organizations in the league. No question. If we build a consistent winner here I see no reason that we won't be seen in that light as well. We already are very respected from a character standpoint. And I'm talking about front office and coaches more than players even.

To try and pull this thread back around, Thats why I think it's pretty cool that Smith is on the committee. These are all very respected minds in the NFL.
Old 12-12-2008   #11
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX758 View Post
Oklahoma has a team, it's called the cowboys, they should give it to San Antonio.
Never happen, SA is called Dallas South. There are actually more cowboy fans in SA than there are in Dallas.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

If i'm not mistaken Dallas' fan base hast three major areas, Oklahoma, Dallas and San Antonio.

Oh, and Austin in between Longhorn drivel.
Old 12-12-2008   #13
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX758 View Post
I dont know if i want the Jaguars..chargers are better option

Plus I know the year we do get a team is going to be the year the Texans win a super bowl.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #14
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

if the competition committee's so important, how come i never heard a thing about it until rick smith was made a part of it?
Old 12-12-2008   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

hmmmmm how often do you hear about the NSA?
Old 12-12-2008   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry - didn't mean to derail your thread, Barrett.

The Competition Committee is a big deal. You hear about it every offseason when rule changes are discussed. I think it's pretty awesome that Smith is on there - plus it will add a little balance considering Jeff Fisher is the Co-Chair of the thing.

I wonder what Rick might bring up after this season? Maybe rules about how games are re-scheduled (in response to the Ike disaster). I don't know - but I like that he's on the committee... especially if it means that we'll get some more articles about it, how it works, and the ins and outs of it... that stuff is interesting to me.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-12-2008   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

No need to apologize I was very much kidding....

I agree it's exciting and we couldn't be any closer to the critical decisions. Much like Fisher does with his team I'm sure Rick with look at the Texans first and say "what about the league effected this team negatively and how do we correct it?" I just think it's super cool that Polian, Fisher and Smith are all there! It bodes well for our Division in the long term.

Plus, it's like the line play of the management side of things. It doesn't get all the press but it's the most important part of the team.

oh, and honestly I thought the league handled the hurricane very well. no away "home" games and we still got to watch our team at reliant.
Old 12-12-2008   #18
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

i would like to keep the Jags in our division - i always love watching our games against them. Move indy
Old 12-12-2008   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

RE: Ike - Yeah, I really have no idea how they could have handled it differently.

I wonder if Smith is any more likely to bring up overtime reform because of how we lost to Jacksonville. I tend to think not, because as always, it can go either way.

One thing Smith might bring up - Jared Allen. He pays a measly 50K (as the freaking highest-paid defensive player in the league!!) and misses no games while Schaub misses FOUR games and our playoff hopes disappeared.

I mean - the league fined him, meaning they agreed the hits were of a malicious intent... and if they agree the hits were of malicious intent - how the HELL does he not get at LEAST a one game suspension?? What if he would have thrown a punch at Schaub's face? He probably would have been suspended - yet it wouldn't have put Matt out of four games.

So, I think that needs some reform for sure.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 12-12-2008   #20
barrett
Hall of Fame

i'd like to see them assess the "hitting" issue. i think they have to find a way to let the players play physical football with big hits without it becoming too dangerous. I completely understand their concern for the well being of the players. The game is played with so much more power and speed than even 10 years ago, The risk of serious injury is much higher. I emphasize serious because I think the league accepts that broken bones and major joint injuries are part of pro football but paralysis is a major concern for the league's overall image and just on a basic human level.

but i'm getting tired of penalties for late hits and roughing. i'd like to see them focus on the "defensless receiver" thing maybe and lay off the late hits and roughing a bit. if a guy gets shoved down so what, it's football. if a guy gets slammed to the turf, so what, it's football. all though i love to see the blindsided hits (ward etc) i think that's the kind of plays where the speed and power of the game could really cause serious injury. getting penalized for hitting a guy a half yard out of bounds after running full spead at him because he might cut back inside is ridiculous.

rick if you're reading this, drop me a line buddy!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read