Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-10-2008   #1
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Possible Future Texans Defensive Coordinators

Here is a list of possible Defensive Coordinator candidates, in no particular order, that are available or could be available for the Texans to sign during the offseason to replace Richard Smith.

Mike Nolan
Gregg Williams
Jim Bates
Romeo Crennel
Marvin Lewis
Wade Phillips
Sean McDermott
Jim Johnson
Rob Ryan
Raheem Morris
Greg Robinson
Rod Marinelli
Frank Bush
Jerry Gray
Mike Waufle

Jim Johnson and Rob Ryan have done nothing to warrant losing their jobs, but with a new coaches due in Oakland, and possibly Philadelphia next year there is no telling what may happen.

Feel free to add more names to the list. I thought we could also flesh out a little more information about each name on the list as well.

Last edited by BattleRedToro; 12-10-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Added suggested names to the list
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #2
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Possible Future Texans Defensive Coordinators

that's a heck of a list of Who's Who in the world of DC's!

if it wouldn't set the team back any in our plans, then I would really like Rick Smith and Coach Kubiak to interview many of those names when they become available.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #3
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan will get a HC offer somewhere - deserves it for sure.

One thing I did notice, the job ex Jags DC Mike Smith has done with ATL, while at the same time his former pupils have regressed badly.

Wade Phillips and Marvin Lewis would both be compelling choices for you guys, but I suspect they will both want a breather after they get canned.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #4
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Add Raheem Morris to that list, he's the secondary coach at Tampa Bay under Monte Kiffin and I think he'd be a good choice as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Ryan will get a HC offer somewhere - deserves it for sure.
I'm thinking different.

Since he's been on the Raiders staff (2004), the Raiders have finished 30th, 27th, 3rd, 22nd in total defense, and thru 13 games this season, they stand 26th. Four years of the bottom 1/3 aren't cancelled out by one top ten. Granted, it's the Raiders, but that's part of the deal too - not exactly the world's greatest training ground to be an NFL HC.
Old 12-10-2008   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Here is a list of possible Defensive Coordinator candidates, in no particular order, that are available or could be available for the Texans to sign during the offseason to replace Richard Smith.

Mike Nolan
Gregg Williams
Jim Bates
Romeo Crennel
Marvin Lewis
Wade Phillips
Sean McDermott
Jim Johnson
Rob Ryan

Jim Johnson and Rob Ryan have done nothing to warrant losing their jobs, but with a new coaches due in Oakland, and possibly Philadelphia next year there is no telling what may happen.

Feel free to add more names to the list. I thought we could also flesh out a little more information about each name on the list as well.
If all this represents is a compilation of names, and not a wish list, then Greg Robinson (AKA: The little engine that could) probably needs to be included. Not my choice by any stretch of the imagination, but likely to be on any list that Kubiak and Smith would start with. Rod Marinelli too.
Old 12-10-2008   #7
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Basically, this is a list of head coaches that are or are going to be fired this offseason. Most of whom have probably been abused so badly that they are basket cases now. I mean really, when you get you fanny spanked on the internet, it has to do something to your head.

Most of these guys should take a year off. Morris and McDermott appears to be the only fresh name on the list.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-10-2008   #8
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Your avatar really bothers me.
I do, however, support your right to display it.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #9
Killer Bee
Rookie

Rep Power: 487 Killer Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respected

I’d like to see Rod Marinelli, Sean McDermott, Frank Bush, or Raheem Morris.

Marinelli coached the Tampa D-line in its hay day and the players love playing for him. He would be great. He would coach up the strengths of our defense.

McDermott is young and would bring an aggressive Jim Johnson system with him. I believe he’s been learning that system for about 10 years.

Bush is probably the most likely to get the job and I’m fine with that being it’s a new system.

I don’t know much about Morris but at least he’s coaching a Tampa defense that has a lot of pride. Our front 7 personnel would complement the Tampa 2 system very well. He could possibly be the new fresh face that takes the league by storm. ????

I wouldn’t want any 3-4 coaches or any recently fired head coaches. That eliminates about half of the candidates for me, Mike Nolan being the exception because he’s also a very intriguing candidate.
Old 12-10-2008   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Gray perhaps? He was interviewed for our head coach position after Capers left. He was DC in Buffalo from 2001-2005 and has been the secondary coach in Washington since 2006.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
It really bothers me that you support things that bother you, but I support your right to support them.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #12
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Bothers me that I have to swear to protect his right to display it. Shouldn't he be a soccer fan if that's how he feels?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Couple more names:

Mike Waufle-Dline coach for the Giants. he loses Strahan and Osi and he still produces a constant pressure on the opposing QB. I would love to see what he could do in Htown.

Gregg Williams: He is currently the D coordinator in Jax and could be gone at the end of the year. He is someone who has had solid top notch D's wherever he goes. Under him, the Bills and Redskins were extremely stingy on the defensive side of the ball. He is a more seasoned coach and may not be available. However, if he is, we should certainly look hard at him.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Couple more names:

Mike Waufle-Dline coach for the Giants. he loses Strahan and Osi and he still produces a constant pressure on the opposing QB. I would love to see what he could do in Htown.

Gregg Williams: He is currently the D coordinator in Jax and could be gone at the end of the year. He is someone who has had solid top notch D's wherever he goes. Under him, the Bills and Redskins were extremely stingy on the defensive side of the ball. He is a more seasoned coach and may not be available. However, if he is, we should certainly look hard at him.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #15
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering what we've got invested in the D Line, I'd like to see a D Line coach get the job that works the 4-3. We need somebody to coach up TJ and Okoye.

The guy from the Giants sounds like a good....maybe the guy from the Vikings.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Considering what we've got invested in the D Line, I'd like to see a D Line coach get the job that works the 4-3. We need somebody to coach up TJ and Okoye.

The guy from the Giants sounds like a good....maybe the guy from the Vikings.
I see where you're going with this, but I don't want to focus on a skill like being a D-line coach over the best defensive coordinator. Yes, TJ and Okoye are our DT's now, but that may not be true in 2-3 years.

Lets just get the best coordinator possible and if he can work some magic on TJ and Okoye then great.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #17
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike Nolan

Gregg Williams
Romeo Crennel
Marvin Lewis
Wade Phillips
Sean McDermott
Jim Johnson
Rob Ryan

Bold = I wouldn't mind 'em.

Underline = I want nothing to do with 'em.

I love Philly's defensive style and would like to have Johnson most of all. I don't think he's going anywhere though. I like Nolan a lot as well, and think he could do well if we gave him a lot of autonomy with regards to the players he brings in.

I really don't want Romeo Crennel or Marvin Lewis. Neither has been able to do anything with their own teams' respective defenses. It would be as if Kubiak, who is a supposed offensive guru, were building one of the worst offenses in football in Houston.

Wade Phillips is an interesting name to throw out. At first glance I though "no way on earth!" But after a second I think he could work here. I always thought he was getting a raw deal in Dallas. Besides, the big knock on him is that he can't win in the playoffs. That's not our worry at the moment.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #18
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
Bold = I wouldn't mind 'em.

Underline = I want nothing to do with 'em.

I love Philly's defensive style and would like to have Johnson most of all. I don't think he's going anywhere though. I like Nolan a lot as well, and think he could do well if we gave him a lot of autonomy with regards to the players he brings in.

I really don't want Romeo Crennel or Marvin Lewis. Neither has been able to do anything with their own teams' respective defenses. It would be as if Kubiak, who is a supposed offensive guru, were building one of the worst offenses in football in Houston.

Wade Phillips is an interesting name to throw out. At first glance I though "no way on earth!" But after a second I think he could work here. I always thought he was getting a raw deal in Dallas. Besides, the big knock on him is that he can't win in the playoffs. That's not our worry at the moment.
What about Sean McDermott? He has been studying under Jim Johnson for some time. If you like Jim Johnson, I would think you would like McDermott as well. Of course, I would expect that you would like Jim Johnson more.
Old 12-10-2008   #19
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

I went ahead and added the suggested names to the list.

On a side note I didn't originally put Frank Bush's name on the list because he is currently part of the Texans staff.
Old 12-10-2008   #20
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What about Sean McDermott? He has been studying under Jim Johnson for some time. If you like Jim Johnson, I would think you would like McDermott as well. Of course, I would expect that you would like Jim Johnson more.
It's not that I don't like McDermott. I think I worded my OP wrong. The bolded picks aren't just choices I wouldn't mind. They are my top listed choices. If the name isn't underlined, I am willing to go with that coach. I'm not huge on Williams, but I think Washington has had some success on defense over the years and wouldn't be upset if they choose him.

McDermott seems like he has the right mentality, though it's hard to tell since he hasn't called the shots yet. I would think if he gets the nod he would have much less say over draft picks, FA's, and assistants than would one of the other "name" coaches. I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing -- I do like many of the recent people that we have brought in, and I do think most of the blame for our failures this season defensively are Smith's fault. But I would be quite comfortable with giving Johnson or Nolan independence to build their own defense. I'd be excited about our future with either one leading the defense.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read