Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2005   #21
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
it is not about going deep every time just get the man the ball, slant, dig, drag, hook.......you under stand what i am trying to say.the guy can motor just let him have the rock.
Opposing defenses don't want to see that. In fact, they don't want to see AJ with the ball at all. The cover 2 shuts all of that down and the way you beat the cover 2 is you rush for 200 yds. I know that sounds like a LOT of rushing yardage, but that's what the defenses are not defending. I don't think our O-line is doing real great with run-blocking either, because if they really were we wouldn't be seeing so much cover anything. We'd be seeing man coverage and AJ would be getting the ball, whether deep or not.

Just imagine what AJ could do in man coverage with safeties run blitzing!
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
why take the BEST TALENT if you are not going to use it right.
Put Carr in Martz's offense and he has 4000 yards 20 TD's and 25-30 INT's leading the Rams to a .500 record at this stage in his development from these eyes. Carr has a wonderful arm and has the ability to get away from a defender but anyone watching the game can see some flaws in his game. I think the team is doing what the personnel does well at this time. I would think that we would struggle to reach .500 if we had a more wide open offense with our line flaws and QB problems that result from them.

We need a TE that does not tip the play and can actually block and catch. This will help out Carr in the Red Zone and bring his TD's up to a more normal, expected level in year 4. Carr needs help, and I think he will be fine for us long-term but just because you like a certain offense or your favorite player is David Carr doesn't mean the coaches are using him absolutely wrong in my book.

I agree with some of the complaints though. I think we should use AJ like the Chargers use Antonio Gates. I'd love to see us move him all over the field and perhaps split in the back field (over the Tackles) with Davis at times, but the team has a real tough time doing simple things. Perhaps they will diversify their offense as the team proves it can handle basic formations and plays first (only partial sarcasm used here). As coaches you are a slave to the play of your players. To me, many of our players still play like expansion team guys and we are still very vanilla on both sides of the ball because of that, but I see flashes of complexity, so I'm not in the Chicken Little camp of firing coaches as problem solving.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #23
Texan Gal 312
Veteran

Quote:
why do you think we get so many delay of game penelties because there are so many things Carr has to check down to, it is very confusing and takes so much time..... O BY THE WAY EVERYONES CONTRACTS GOT EXTENDED ACCEPT FOR PALMERS BECAUSE AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON HE WANTED TO BE THE HIGHEST PAID OC IN THE GAME!
Many delay of game penalties - could you support with some facts like a comparison of ours to other teams -

My understanding was the entire staff was under contract - do you have some link or something to support this as fact ?
Texan Gal 312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #24
Texas_Heat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
No coaching changes till 2006.....

Their going to stay with the same coaching till 2006

the Texans will win the division in 2007
Texas_Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #25
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid

1. Conservative offenses can be as effective as unconservative ones. Just cause we arent throwing 40 yards down field every third play, doesnt mean we arent trying to win.

2. We are fashioning the team after teams like the Steelers and Dolphins. Play hard, dont worry about being sneaky.. just go out, give the opponent hell and beat them by doing your job well. Do you feel the Steelers and Dolphins dont know how to play football?

4. Carr audibles into a different play 25% of the time.. that is one out of every 4 plays.. meaning.. almost every set of downs. Most of the time the audible is into a run.

5. All the coaching staff have been signed for 2 more years... 5 year plan, remember? Consistency in the coaching staff is important.

our Oline does not give us time to let plays develop.. for most of the year it also did not allow us to have an effective running game. If an Oline cannot open running lanes, and cannot provide pass protection.. where does that leave you? thats right.. with the most sacks of the season, no trip to the playoffs, and an offensive coordinator wrongly taking all the blame.
1.&2. We have Seatle style players not Steeler style. Meaning, DD is not Bettis. Not every play needs to be 40 or bust. Quick and hard. Slants and drags. Oh yea the same routs that let us move the ball in the beginning of the season but we got away from. I think he forgets what has worked for him.

4. I agree that Carr audibles to runs. Who do you think taught him to do that?

5. No I have always heard a three year plan, Maybe I heard wrong.

as far as the OL. refer to 1&2
NeViKaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #26
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

you may think we look like seattle now.. but it is the dolphins/steelers style that Capers has said we are working towards.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #27
SESupergenius

I see nothing wrong with the drafting of Carr or AJ, just the utilization of them. Our offensive is not deceptive at all. We never motion, never use the FB out in the flat, never use the TE enough, never move the WR around and never audible out of a formation into another one. Someone needs to buy the coaches a copy of "Sun Tzu's Art of war - All warfare is based on deception". We are not deceptive at all. Same goes for the defense, although they were adding more blitzing zone packages this than last year, 3rd down was almost a gimmie as to what we were going to do.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2005   #28
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
you may think we look like seattle now.. but it is the dolphins/steelers style that Capers has said we are working towards.
I'll agree with that. But you can't drive and Corvette off road.
Till the drafts and FA get the personnel were he wants it then call the plays that suits the personnel we have now.
Old 01-05-2005   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
why do you think we get so many delay of game penelties because there are so many things Carr has to check down to, it is very confusing and takes so much time.....
The Texans O was in the top third--i.e. a lower number of penalties--of the league on penalties this year. Most of the false starts were due to undisciplined play, see Chester Pitts as example A.

If this offense with the check downs is too confusing for Carr then I seriously would have grave concerns that he can ever be even a decent NFL QB. The single thing that contributes most to Manning being great is his ability to read D's and then react at the line of scrimmage. Don't remember seeing Carr ever approach the level of involvement Manning has and oh by the way, the Colts had exactly the same number of offensive penalties the Texans had this year.
Old 01-05-2005   #30
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

the calls DO suit the personnel we have now. how have we called plays that dont suit our personel?

the only problem with our offense at this point, is the Oline.. get that fixed and we can make REAL judgements on what needs to be changed or not.
Old 01-05-2005   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeViKaN
1.&2. We have Seatle style players not Steeler style. Meaning, DD is not Bettis.
Yeah, one player is the difference between Pittsburgh and Houston--suuurrree.
Old 01-05-2005   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

These fire Palmer threads are getting just plain goofy.

Seems like some folks just don't get the BIG PICTURE.

First, Palmer takes his orders and style of offense directly from Capers. Under a different head coach, Palmer would run a different offense. Do you follow me?

Secondly, after only three years, we don't have ALL of the personnel needed to run a consistent offense. Why, exactly, is this Palmer's fault? I guess you want to fire Casserly, too, because he didn't find all of the talent we need to win the Superbowl in our third season?

Thirdly, learn football. If you had a clue, you would understand that your calls to fire coaches and start from scratch would set this team back 2-3 MORE years, and by then, you'll be calling for more heads to roll.

I think I'll refrain from posting in any more "fire Palmer" threads because they are nothing but silliness.
Old 01-05-2005   #33
NeViKaN
Rookie

Quote:
the calls DO suit the personnel we have now. how have we called plays that dont suit our personel?

the only problem with our offense at this point, is the Oline.. get that fixed and we can make REAL judgements on what needs to be changed or not.
Kinda my point. Read previous listing.

And No I don't think that DD is the only diff. Just one ex.
Old 01-05-2005   #34
touttail
All Pro

Default Learn from our mistakes!

Are you guys and gals as tired of hearing Capers say, "We have to learn from our mistakes", as much as I am. So sick of hearing this. Hell they should be Rhode Scholars by now, if they have learned from all their mistakes!!!
Just disgusted and venting, Sorry!
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #35
Grid
Hall of Fame

I personally like how the week before they said "This team doesnt take anyone lightly, we arent good enough too"

oh.. except the browns. whoooooopppppss
Old 01-05-2005   #36
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

You know one thing you have to think about is that if we do fire Palmer, then David Carr and the offense would have to learn a WHOLE NEW OFFENSIVE SYSTEM. That would take a year to get adjusted to, and with great learners on offense, you could kiss the 2005 playoffs good-bye.

I like the Norm Chow idea. I think he is the best offensive mind in football, knows how to manage a game and a young quaterback, and probably the most underated guy IN football. I wonder how come he doesn't win that award for best assisant in college every year? Anyway why would he leave USC when they are building and "empire"? and they have all the talent in the world?
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #37
texansfan88
All Pro

Todd Dodge for O-Coordinator

NOTE: Dodge is the coach and OC for Southlake Carroll, the most succesful high school program in Texas since he's been there
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #38
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Anyway why would he leave USC when they are building and "empire"? and they have all the talent in the world?

Because if he can land an NFL OC job and have success, after maybe 3 years he would be a leading candidate for most HC positions.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #39
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Look ladies and gents, I don't care who is offensive coordinator, it's Caper's call. Despite what other posters may say that he differs all play calling on offense to Palmer. I'm not sure but I honestly feel like Capers has the final say on the play calling. I've seen Palmer offenses have explosive seasons so I find that very hard to believe that he (being Palmer) can't adjust any better (in games) than what he should.
Old 01-05-2005   #40
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
The jags fired thier offensive Corrdinator, why the hell won't we!
It's not that simple. The problems start from the top.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read