Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-09-2008   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do we need another Slaton?

My post on another thread just got me to thinking. Many of us have discussed the need for a power back to take load off Slaton as he really does not need 20 + attempts. I still think having a power back to get us a TD in red zone or that 3rd and short is a must. What if we selected a Slaton type back like Ian Johnson 5'11" 199 lbs 4.47 who is projected 5th - 6th round? Kubes insists the team focus is on run. Slaton 15 carries, Johnson the same and a Rashad Jennings 6'1" 232 4.46 (small college) or from Iowa Shonn Green 5'11" 235 4.54 & described as "an absolute beast"? in 3rd or 4th?

Imagine two Slatons getting 30 to 40 carries a game.

1st William Moore FS 6'1" 220 4.45 and can play either safety 7 INTs
2nd round Brandon Graham DE 6'3" 270 4.72 & may be faster at combine
3rd Shonn Green RB (as above) here is our power guy
4th London Fryar CB 5'11" 192 lbs Western Michigan. I don't think FA will help and I would be okay if Smithiak chooses not to get another CB.
5th Ian Johnson as above.
Old 12-09-2008   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we need another Slaton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
My post on another thread just got me to thinking. Many of us have discussed the need for a power back to take load off Slaton as he really does not need 20 + attempts. I still think having a power back to get us a TD in red zone or that 3rd and short is a must. What if we selected a Slaton type back like Ian Johnson 5'11" 199 lbs 4.47 who is projected 5th - 6th round? Kubes insists the team focus is on run. Slaton 15 carries, Johnson the same and a Rashad Jennings 6'1" 232 4.46 (small college) or from Iowa Shonn Green 5'11" 235 4.54 & described as "an absolute beast"? in 3rd or 4th?

4th London Fryar CB 5'11" 192 lbs Western Michigan. I don't think FA will help and I would be okay if Smithiak chooses not to get another CB.
The nice thing about having guys with differnet running abilities is that they hurt the defense in different ways. I'd love to be like the Giants, with 3 legitimate starters all receiving 5-15 carries a game

While it would be nice to have 2 more talented runners to go along with what we've got now, I think we have more pressing needs. I doubt you'll find a guy in the 5th or 6th round thats guaranteed to be as good as Steve. He's running like a top 10 pick.
Old 12-09-2008   #3
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd entertain the idea AFTER we get a Haynesworth type. That move will make a bigger difference to this team than any other. in my humble opinion of course.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

I don't see this team going Safety in the first and I would rather see LB or a G for our first pick. IF we go CB will be dependent on what we do with Dunta.Do love us picking up Shonn Green and if there isn't anyone better around in the 5th Ian would give us a stable of backs to work with.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't see this team going Safety in the first and I would rather see LB or a G for our first pick. IF we go CB will be dependent on what we do with Dunta.Do love us picking up Shonn Green and if there isn't anyone better around in the 5th Ian would give us a stable of backs to work with.
I don't think we need a LB with the first as much as I used to. Diles was great, Ryans is dominant, and I've been plenty happy with Abidi so far. Since he joined hte lineup, our team has drastically improved on defense
Old 12-09-2008   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have actually been thinking about this for a while too. Why not have two like him!? But I kind of came to the conclusion that having a bigger RB would be better for a couple reasons (as opposed to a very similar RB). I think in short yardage situations, a stronger back would be more effective. Also, if for some reason the Defense gameplanned really well and was able to neutrilize Slaton from kicking it out and making the big gains... the same would happen to the new guy and our running game would be rendered useless. Having a power back that fits the system would give us a different option and could keep the running game effective.

I like the idea of having a power back w/ Slaton and then a 3rd string that's like Slaton. Slaton could start and wear them out then the bruiser could run right over them b/c they're tired. Sometimes a bruiser may get more looks early and tire them out that way, and the Slaton's fresh legs could run right by them. Just some thoughts.

Having all Slatons may be like putting all your eggs in one basket. Like with WR's you want a homerun deep threat and then also a good posession wideout.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #7
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone really believe that Kubiak is going to be the kind of coach that will consistently run the ball 30-40 times a game? Yes we need a compliment to Steve but as long as we have success through the air we are going to be a balanced team offensively. I certainly could see a game here or there where we are milking a lead but until we get a nice defense I think getting another RB to compliment Slaton is on the list of things to do just not as high as some might think.
Old 12-09-2008   #8
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm no..
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't need another Slaton, need a big brusing pounding back to compliment Slaton.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker and Dorsett didn't leave up to the hype.

So, no. I think we'll be better off with a bruiser back.
Especially when we start getting better and better, it would be nice to spring out to a lead, and then have that guy who can pound it for 4 yd per down.

We may see 30 plus carries then.

Oh yeah, the Broncos had two years running when they were winning with Elway and they had more running plays then passing. They actually had 3 consecutive winning years (96-98) with a very balance attack.

They won the SB the last two years, riding the running game all the way through with Terrell Davis. (They ran even more during the play-offs.)

But by using him too much to carry the load (he was about 206 lbs), they only got 4 productive years out of that horse.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have similar worries about Demeco as I do Slaton when it comes to wear and tear.

EDIT: please disregard, don't want to derail this thread!
Old 12-09-2008   #12
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Doesnt 1 cut/zone blocking lend itself to smaller quicker backs? Could be wrong....
Old 12-09-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Doesnt 1 cut/zone blocking lend itself to smaller quicker backs? Could be wrong....
Lends itself to backs with good patience, vision, and burst through their cut. Got to get through that hole quickly. Typically, smaller backs are faster/quicker. Just gotta find the right RB regardless of size. All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares sort of thing.
Old 12-09-2008   #14
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not necessarily!
The Broncos had their years of using one or two big backs.
The Packers (also ZBS) this yr have a couple of big backs (Grant and Jackson.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #15
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Very true...thanks fellas.

How many other teams use ZBS?
Old 12-09-2008   #16
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I have actually been thinking about this for a while too. Why not have two like him!? But I kind of came to the conclusion that having a bigger RB would be better for a couple reasons (as opposed to a very similar RB). I think in short yardage situations, a stronger back would be more effective. Also, if for some reason the Defense gameplanned really well and was able to neutrilize Slaton from kicking it out and making the big gains... the same would happen to the new guy and our running game would be rendered useless. Having a power back that fits the system would give us a different option and could keep the running game effective.

I like the idea of having a power back w/ Slaton and then a 3rd string that's like Slaton. Slaton could start and wear them out then the bruiser could run right over them b/c they're tired. Sometimes a bruiser may get more looks early and tire them out that way, and the Slaton's fresh legs could run right by them. Just some thoughts.

Having all Slatons may be like putting all your eggs in one basket. Like with WR's you want a homerun deep threat and then also a good posession wideout.
I would like to see a bigger back that is still versatile enough to keep oppossing D's from narrowing down the play selection by the O personnel we have in, as happened with Mark Bruener and Billy Miller at TE.
Old 12-09-2008   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Does anyone really believe that Kubiak is going to be the kind of coach that will consistently run the ball 30-40 times a game? Yes we need a compliment to Steve but as long as we have success through the air we are going to be a balanced team offensively. I certainly could see a game here or there where we are milking a lead but until we get a nice defense I think getting another RB to compliment Slaton is on the list of things to do just not as high as some might think.
perhaps...

We ran the ball 31 times against the Pack on Sunday. Okay, Turk's little panic scamper doesn't count. But that's still 30 carries. If we had a second RB that wouldn't tip our hand - i.e., when he comes in everyone KNOWS we're about to run - I could see 30-35 carries/game. Especially if we're eating clock to play keep away to high-powered offenses and preserve a lead.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see us take Goodson in the 5th rd.

I believe he will be available.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very true...thanks fellas.

How many other teams use ZBS?
Minnesotta and Rich Rodriguez' West Virginia are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #20
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

With all the INT we have been having i dont think Kubes likes to go to the air even tho thats one of our strong points so he has no choice to throw it
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read