Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-09-2008   #1
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My NFL BCS Stupid Little Rankings Thing

i haven't done this in a while, and i'm bored at work, so i threw together a rankings for the NFL, BCS-style, with lots of stats and spreadsheet action.

the factors that go into the rankings are the play on the field and strength of schedule. the actual record of the teams are completely left out, just so i could see how accurate the rankings were. again, wins and losses play NO part in this.

1 - NY Giants: 89.52
2 - Baltimore: 86.62
3 - Philadelphia: 83.78
4 - Tennessee: 82.32
5 - Pittsburgh: 79.78
6 - Arizona: 71.36
7 - New Orleans: 62.73
8 - Tampa Bay: 57.54
9 - Dallas: 55.48
10 - Washington: 49.66
11 - Miami: 47.65
12 - New England: 36.11
13 - Minnesota: 34.91
14 - Carolina: 28.75
15 - Houston: 27.43
16 - Atlanta: 25.91
17 - Indianapolis: 16.70
18 - NY Jets: 15.96
19 - Denver: 9.82
20 - Green Bay: 9.62
21 - Jacksonville: -5.70
22 - Chicago: -7.24
23 - Buffalo: -8.92
24 - San Diego: -11.90
25 - San Francisco: -40.77
26 - Cleveland: -86.16
27 - Kansas City: -97.36
28 - Oakland: -105.33
29 - Seattle: -132.18
30 - Cincinnati: -138.23
31 - St. Louis: -139.06
32 - Detroit: -147.66

looks pretty good to me. a few oddities, but that's expected.

for the record, the actual stats that factor into the game stats are offensive and defensive yardage divided by the plays from scrimmage, points scored and allowed, and turnovers. pretty simple.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #2
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My NFL BCS Stupid Little Rankings Thing

Didnt the Giants just lose to the Eagles?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #3
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

yup they sure did. they also beat them earlier in the season
Old 12-09-2008   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
yup they sure did. they also beat them earlier in the season
I remember a certain team that beat another certain team earlier in the season and they still got passed up. Remember the BCS is all about the here and now. j/k
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I remember a certain team that beat another certain team earlier in the season and they still got passed up. Remember the BCS is all about the here and now. j/k
well maybe if they played twice in a season in college it'd be different. but on paper, the Giants and Eagles split the season series. besides, these rankings don't actually include wins or losses, so there's no tiebreakers or anything, just straight up performance
Old 12-09-2008   #6
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 75780 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Baltimore blew out the Eagles, the Eagles beat the Giants late in the season. How is Baltimore below the Giants? Sure I know the Giants beat Baltimore head to head however that was several weeks ago and it shouldn't matter now. You have to look at how the Ravens destroyed the Eagles and earned style points.

If you are trying to duplicate the BCS you are not doing a good job of it.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Baltimore blew out the Eagles, the Eagles beat the Giants late in the season. How is Baltimore below the Giants? Sure I know the Giants beat Baltimore head to head however that was several weeks ago and it shouldn't matter now. You have to look at how the Ravens destroyed the Eagles and earned style points.

If you are trying to duplicate the BCS you are not doing a good job of it.
Sure he is. The BCS always has some screwed up rankings. It always has teams left out that are deserving. So do these rankings. IMO, it's spot on using that criteria.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

It really is embarassing to see some of my fellow UT fans still crying about this. It happened. We can't do anything about it but beat the tar out of Ohio St and prove why we should have been there.

If we don't beat Ohio St, all this whining would have been for nothing.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Longhorn fans only like it when it goes in their favor. like when Mama Mack Brown whines for a week to get voters to drop Cal 4 or 5 spots in the polls so he can go to a BCS game
Old 12-09-2008   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It really is embarassing to see some of my fellow UT fans still crying about this. It happened. We can't do anything about it but beat the tar out of Ohio St and prove why we should have been there.

Y'all will beat OSU. Question is: by how much?
Old 12-09-2008   #11
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ALL fans only like it when it goes in their favor. like when Mama Mack Brown whines for a week to get voters to drop Cal 4 or 5 spots in the polls so he can go to a BCS game
Fixed that for you.

I don't remember Mack whining for the Rose Bowl. I remember him asking people to move us up. They did. We proved we belonged there. Cal proved why they didn't.
Old 12-09-2008   #12
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 75780 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

What are you embarrassed about? How is that analogy off? It's the same exact thing. Believe me I was whining after 2005 believe it or not. Texas was no real champion in 2005, how could they be? They only beat one team that didn't earn anything either. The system is a complete joke whether it works in UT's favor or not. There is no true champion in college football and that has always been what I have been whining about for years.
Old 12-09-2008   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Longhorn fans only like it when it goes in their favor. like when Mama Mack Brown whines for a week to get voters to drop Cal 4 or 5 spots in the polls so he can go to a BCS game
Q: What college coach doesn't politic?
Old 12-09-2008   #14
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I don't know about that. If you are a player how do you get up for an exhibition game? If they beat OSU they are not advancing anywhere. Sure they might be motivated to prove people wrong however even if they beat OSU by 40 points it doesn't prove anything except they are better than the #10 team in the country. Actually it might not even prove that in some people's minds.
Old 12-09-2008   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I don't know about that. If you are a player how do you get up for an exhibition game? If they beat OSU they are not advancing anywhere. Sure they might be motivated to prove people wrong however even if they beat OSU by 40 points it doesn't prove anything except they are better than the #10 team in the country. Actually it might not even prove that in some people's minds.
Mack might be able to convince the kids that a big victory could earn them an AP national title.

That would give them something to play for, especially seniors like Orakpo, Miller, Cosby, etc...
Old 12-09-2008   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Q: What college coach doesn't politic?
the point is whining about the system only when it goes against you is silly.
Quote:
I don't remember Mack whining for the Rose Bowl. I remember him asking people to move us up. They did. We proved we belonged there. Cal proved why they didn't.
you can call it what you want

and those are two totally different situations. Cal was coasting to a BCS game, then they get slighted by a ridiculous sytem and coach and stupid voters, so suddenly their interest in the Holiday Bowl drops a bit. happens every year across the bowl landscape. that's why i've never put much interest in chest-bumping in non-BCS bowls

besides, the reason Cal didn't go to a BCS game wasn't because they didn't deserve to go, and that Texas deserved it more. and you know that
Old 12-09-2008   #17
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Quote:
the point is whining about the system only when it goes against you is silly.

you can call it what you want

and those are two totally different situations. Cal was coasting to a BCS game, then they get slighted by a ridiculous sytem and coach and stupid voters, so suddenly their interest in the Holiday Bowl drops a bit. happens every year across the bowl landscape. that's why i've never put much interest in chest-bumping in non-BCS bowls

besides, the reason Cal didn't go to a BCS game wasn't because they didn't deserve to go, and that Texas deserved it more. and you know that
The whole frustrating part from a fan's perspective is whining, politicing, and running up scores (unsportsmanship) is part of the "game". Mack obviously did what he had to do to get his team where it needed to go, that is his job unfortunately. Is it right? No, but it's not his fault it is the fault of the morons that won't put in a legitimate playoff system.
Old 12-09-2008   #18
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

no, i'd say begging for votes is pretty unsportsmanlike
Old 12-09-2008   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
no, i'd say begging for votes is pretty unsportsmanlike
I would rather my coach beg for extra votes and look like a sissy than run up the score ruthlessly and look like an *******.
Old 12-09-2008   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: My NFL BCS Stupid Little Rankings Thing

Quote:
Neg. Rep. (kidding)
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read