Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2008   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Free agents

I have been thinking about the disparity between how great the last few drafts have been and how awful the free agent signings have been and come to the conclusion that maybe Smith/Kubiak KNEW we were not going to be contending for anything and didn't want to waste any real money on top tier FA's until they thought we were ready to go to the next level. I am probably giving them too much credit, but hopefully we can improve in this area and get a star or two instead of other peoples garbage.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free agents

Anyone know how much cap space the Texans will have this offseason?
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
I have been thinking about the disparity between how great the last few drafts have been and how awful the free agent signings have been and come to the conclusion that maybe Smith/Kubiak KNEW we were not going to be contending for anything and didn't want to waste any real money on top tier FA's until they thought we were ready to go to the next level. I am probably giving them too much credit, but hopefully we can improve in this area and get a star or two instead of other peoples garbage.
THAT must be why we gave Reeves such a HUGE payday. Thanks for clearing that up. In all honesty, Reeves IS playing much better. It helps with DROB on the other side and 1000% more blitzes being called. Here's a link to an article by AJ. Hope this helps.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...and-salary-cap
Old 12-09-2008   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wasting real money on top tier free agents is exactly what it is . . wasting real money on top tier free agents. You give them that last big signing bonus, and they have no more incentive to play at a high level. I could give many, many examples . . Roy Williams of the Cowboys being the latest one.

Balls on that free agent crap. Build through the draft, and re-sign your own team's players that are performing at a high level. But signing other teams' "star players" become your team's overpaid "garbage".
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Wasting real money on top tier free agents is exactly what it is . . wasting real money on top tier free agents. You give them that last big signing bonus, and they have no more incentive to play at a high level. I could give many, many examples . . Roy Williams of the Cowboys being the latest one.

Balls on that free agent crap. Build through the draft, and re-sign your own team's players that are performing at a high level. But signing other teams' "star players" become your team's overpaid "garbage".
Yep - if you look at the way the Giants, Colts, Steelers and Pats did it, there were few if any high profile FA signings involved in their Super Bowl winning teams.
Old 12-09-2008   #6
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree to a point but there are plenty of FA's that work out great as well. Alan Faneca seems to be having a great year and has made the Jets line much better. What about guys like Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia? I think Michael Turner has made a real impact for Atlanta.

And that is what I was trying to say. For some reason we seem to get all the great guys in the draft but end up signing Roosevelt Colvin and Chris Brown in Free Agency. If you add up what they waste on the sorry guys you could get one or two impact players. The trick is figuring out who is going to stay an impact player and who is looking for the final payday. The Texans just sign has been's and ne'er will be's.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #7
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans just sign has been's and ne'er will be's.
Mostly it's because impact free agents want to go to a team that WINS. Until the Texans can prove to be a consistent winner and a playoff caliber team, the only free agents that will be interested in signing with the Texans are players that are desperate for money, or players that cannot find a better team to go to.

I can't wait for the day that star players are going to want to play for the Texans. All it takes is a winning program, and we're heading that way.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-09-2008   #8
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

The list will start with Fat Al.

I suspect his price tag will be $35M guaranteed and based on his work the last 2 years, I suspect he will have little problem getting a bidding war, and I think you guys are going to take a run at him.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree to a point but there are plenty of FA's that work out great as well. Alan Faneca seems to be having a great year and has made the Jets line much better. What about guys like Kurt Warner and Jeff Garcia? I think Michael Turner has made a real impact for Atlanta.

And that is what I was trying to say. For some reason we seem to get all the great guys in the draft but end up signing Roosevelt Colvin and Chris Brown in Free Agency. If you add up what they waste on the sorry guys you could get one or two impact players. The trick is figuring out who is going to stay an impact player and who is looking for the final payday. The Texans just sign has been's and ne'er will be's.
You have your occasional rare Michael Turner, but that goes along with all the Roosevelt Colvins and Chris Browns, and Morlon Greenwoods in every year's free agent crop. It's just not worth the money to justify the risk. And like someone else said, if the Giants, Colts, Steelers and Pats are not bothering with it, why should we? If you want to become a winner, then do like the winners do.

Now, if they want to pursue low profile blue collars like Kevin Walter, I have no problem with that.
Old 12-09-2008   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
The list will start with Fat Al.

I suspect his price tag will be $35M guaranteed and based on his work the last 2 years, I suspect he will have little problem getting a bidding war, and I think you guys are going to take a run at him.
Are you willing to bet that $35M guaranteed that he will continue to play at the same level before the big payday?

He'll pocket that money . . . and coast.

No, thank you.
Old 12-09-2008   #11
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

It isn't the Roosevelt Colvins or Chris Browns that are the problem. Its the Morlon Greenwood's and Anthony Weaver's that are the problem. Sure Colvin and Brown didn't pan out for the Texans this year but their contracts were structured such that cutting them wouldn't result in a huge cap hit. The same cannot be said about Greenwood's and Weaver's contracts. Cutting them early on would have resulted in huge cap hits.
Old 12-09-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we've done a decent enough job in free agency. Sure there are a couple of exceptions, but for the most part I think they were grabbing guys to be more of a stop gap/foundation builder while the young guys are developing. A lot of these FA's have special teams ability that we as fans rarely notice. I think not signing Charlie Anderson was a mistake (possibly von Hutchins) but what can you do when another team is willing to pay more than you. Reeves was a necessary evil. Yall can make all your jokes if you want about how a 3 year old could cover better... but if we went into the season with only Bennett, Faggins and Molden - we'd be giving up a lot more points per game than we are now.

"But make no mistake about it, my friends..." we've been hitting homeruns in the draft left and right and that's the best way to build a team. Hopefully this year we can get one more key FA on the D.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #13
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81109 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you willing to bet that $35M guaranteed that he will continue to play at the same level before the big payday?

He'll pocket that money . . . and coast.

No, thank you.
I think you're right, which was why I was fine with the club franchising him last year. Titans are in a bad spot on him - he's their MVP, but who the hell knows if he invades the all you can eats after signing the contract and closes down the restaurant.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

FA with a team should be more like a hired gun after you've established your team.

The winning teams know that you draft well and intelligently plug those guys in. Our problem sometimes is evaluating NFL talent outside our team. Weaver and Greenwood are just bad contracts period and they don't tell the whole story about what a good FA can do for your team. Steve Hutchinson and Alan Faneca are two pretty recent examples of how a guy can impact one side of the ball. I hate to say this but TO has altered two offenses into more explosive ones. Reggie White's move to GB proved to be franchise altering.

I don't think we NEED any of these high priced guys myself but it couldn't hurt on defense to shore up a spot or two we won't be able to fill on draft day alone.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #15
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I think you're right, which was why I was fine with the club franchising him last year. Titans are in a bad spot on him - he's their MVP, but who the hell knows if he invades the all you can eats after signing the contract and closes down the restaurant.
I'm probably in the minority on this but my gut is telling me he is still going to be a great player even after he gets paid. I'd love for the Texans to sign him but its a long shot so I'm just hoping he gets the heck out of the AFC South.
Old 12-09-2008   #16
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61481 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Vinny has been spotlighting Bobby Grier as the root of the FA problem. He is the lead scout for pro personell, and if Vinny is right, which I believe he is - then he needs to go.
Old 12-09-2008   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Now, if they want to pursue low profile blue collars like Kevin Walter, I have no problem with that.
Isnt this what we have been doing from the beginning?? We have an offense that is picking up steam and only needs depth in a few key places to be for the most part complete. If we can hit on 2 or 3 D starters out of this draft and add another top tier D player via FA we have the solid makings of a good team. This sit back and wait crap is silly. We are wasting our Core players prime years with this attitude. Lots of teams in recent years have turned around their franchises quickly with a combination of good drafting and FA signings. New Orleans and the Jets right off the top of my head. To ignore FA and just build through the draft is wasting a valuable resource IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I'm probably in the minority on this but my gut is telling me he is still going to be a great player even after he gets paid. I'd love for the Texans to sign him but its a long shot so I'm just hoping he gets the heck out of the AFC South.
I 100% agree. The guy made some bone headed decisions early in his career but seems to have figured it out. He is still young and is playing at an unbelievable level.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #18
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well yea, but that all depends.....we gonna spend money or what?! Thats what it comes down to, I mean seriously McNair's just a cheap skate bastard thats it besides the Schaub deal who else has he signed BIG...you know?! Come on man this year do something about the shit talking McNair and "show us what your made of." (Varsity Blues)
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Well yea, but that all depends.....we gonna spend money or what?! Thats what it comes down to, I mean seriously McNair's just a cheap skate bastard thats it besides the Schaub deal who else has he signed BIG...you know?! Come on man this year do something about the shit talking McNair and "show us what your made of." (Varsity Blues)
McNair has been up against the cap and with a heavy payroll every year the Texans have existed. The cheap skate allegation just doesn't hold water. Now much of the money has been wasted--Wade, DD, Weaver, Walker, etc., but that is a different problem than being cheap. By the way, Weaver and Wade were both rated #1 or #2 among free agents at their positions those off-seasons.

Last edited by infantrycak; 12-09-2008 at 09:34 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
How about all those top 10 picks we've signed to huge deals?

Sometimes "BIG" free agents choose their location on more than omney. Houston is a place where players traditionally have seen their careers die. Not a good motivation

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read