Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the possibility that Richard Smith returns as DC?
As long as the Texans start 2009 playing hard he can stay 25 24.27%
No power in the universe can make him an acceptable DC. He must go! 78 75.73%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2008   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 269943 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ok, so 2009 starts and Richard Smith is STILL the DC

I know, I know, the thought of it makes you sick inside. Just typing that made my head spin and caused my mood to tip slightly to the "worse" side. I hope it doesn't happen. If I were a religious man I'd pray it didn't happen. I've spent the better part of the last year (two really) talking about how this guy has to go and declaring that he and this staff have failed to turn the players they've been given into a decent defense. Every year we all see the same thing. The man plays it totally vanilla until the team is no longer in contention and then turns on the burners and the Texans blitz their way into the offseason.

Actually I think it's sort of a coincidence that they come alive the moment the playoffs fall out of reasonable reach. I think he turns up the heat when he starts to feel the heat and no sooner. Then in fear of losing his job he suddenly gets desperate and starts doing what he should have been doing all along and that is taking some chances.

But assume he stays. The Texans somehow manage to finish the year 9-7 (or even 8-8) and the defense plays the rest of the year like they've suddenly seen the light. What happens when 2009 begins?
Old 12-08-2008   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok, so 2009 starts and Richard Smith is STILL the DC

Frankly, in the long run, I don't care who the coachs are as long as the team is winning games. If Richard Smith gives us a kick ass defense (which I seriously doubt he ever will) then I'll be glad to have him as a coach.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba..._and_play.html

"Has Richard Smith saved his job? Was it even in jeopardy? I would be shocked if his job wasn't in jeopardy, but the defense has played a much better brand of football the question now becomes whether or not this defense can help you get to the playoffs if the right personnel moves are made. My guess as of today is that Richard Smith will be back."

Hmmmm. This is disappointing to say the least.
Old 12-08-2008   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm glad the defense has started playing better but they started playing better when Richard Smith started being more aggressive after the fact that our season was basically over. If he continues to be aggressive then fine but I have a feeling he will resort back to being timid when it counts. I could be wrong and I can be from time to time.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith stays unless the Texans can be sure of getting a proven or upstart DC!

The numerous mistakes early in the season were on the back seven (actually back six, DeMeco has always been the exception.)

Lately, with the arrival of Wilson, the emergence of Adibi, and Dunta's getting back in shape we make enough of good plays to make up for the mistakes in the defensive backfield.

When you rush 4, they have got to be able to cover for at least 2 secs, preferrably 3 secs.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

This wait until week 10 to get aggressive will happen every year until he is gone. It's not just a lack of blitzes, but also all this "read and react" with smallish DTs made for taking the initiative and avoiding all that unnecessary, head-on contact with bigger O-linemen. This team can get after the QB, but not if they are too busy running into O-linemen as designed.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense has done the same thing for 3 years now. The 1st half of the season they're a joke and the 2nd half they turn respectable. Personally, I'm tired of it. I was ready to dismiss him after last season and he has since proved he should've been.

He gone!! My .02
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

For 3 years in a row we have waited until around week 10 to get aggressive on D. This time we should surely know that it will happen again....and again....and again.

Old 12-08-2008   #9
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6986 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the better question is:

Who would be an upgrade?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in agreement with most of yall. The D is always pathetic the first half and then steps it up. I think the CB's are making better reads and breaks on the ball, almost like they want to make a play on it. Wouldn't that be something? Reeves is close to being a really good starter- he really needs to work on locating the ball in the offseason.

We always get frustrated at a lot of the playcalling, myself included. But really it starts with just basic coaching for me. Most of these guys are so young, they need proper coaching. It seems like they are finally coming together and it's clicking... but is that just the same thing we've seen the last few seasons or is it different this time?

I still think we're a ways away from being a legitimate superbowl contender, but with this team- we're close to getting to the playoffs year in and year out. With a concentration on the defense early in the draft and a key FA here or there, our defense will be much better. Not great but much better. Another year of maturing, they'll be great. Schaubo needs to cut down on the turnovers, which I think will come as he matures as a starter and stays healthy and we need to work on our red zone offense.

Less turnovers on offense and one or two more playmakers on D and we're in the playoffs.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

you can't decide to show up Week 11 and expect to keep your job. smith is still the worst defensive coordinator in the league and nothing is going to change that.

bring back Smith and they can **** themselves for all I care.

teh fact that the defense is playing better now just shows you that it hasn't been personnel holding us back, its been scheme, preparation, and having a sack of testicles....something RS sorely lacks.

we need to get a hotshot defensive coordinator who will instill some fire and intensity 16+ games a year not just when its on National TV or when your season is over with nothing to play for or nothing to lose. RS is a loser.
Old 12-08-2008   #12
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post

Who would be an upgrade?
I'm not a knee jerk guy, but pretty much anyone. The Texans have been horribly, horribly bad for 4 years now on defense. From 2005 to 2008 they have been 32, 25, 22, and 26 in points, and 31, 24, 24, and 20th in yards.

I don't care how bad the talent is, you can't put up that kind of performance as a coach and keep your job.

I had heard that some of the scheming has been taken away from Richard Smith. That would explain the improvement along with some of the personnel changes, but they should still be performing better.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #13
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
smith is still the worst defensive coordinator in the league and nothing is going to change that.
Gunther Cunningham and Joe Barry agree with your post.
Old 12-08-2008   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

If our D starts out next year playing like they are right now, then I dont care who the coach is
Old 12-08-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
Gunther Cunningham and Joe Barry agree with your post.
ok. 'one' of the worst defensive coordinators. still nothing worth keeping though especially after such a long and overall pathetic tenure.

get rid of the guy and upgrade. we spent money on quality coaching on offense in Gibbs and our offense, though flawed, is one of the most productive in the league.

Why not pull a Gibbs on the defensive front? If Kubiak and Smith can't find anyone better than Smith, they really aren't doing their job. some people think the defense's play recently could save Smith's job, I think the exact opposite. It just shows that we were playing too soft and vanilla for 3/4 of the season when we could have been playing at least somewhat aggressive like we are and not suck so bad.

I think the players deserve some new leadership on the defensive front. Smith needs to go and we need to do everything we can to bring in Haynesworth in Free Agency. If we can't get him we would at least force the Titans or possible other suitor to pay out the nose. I could care less about the perceived bad blood between Schaub and Albert. That would all go away and would really stick it to Bud Adams and the Titans really good. I think we need to make a call to Ray Lewis too because it would be nice to bring him into the fold as he ends his career and hopefully retain him in some defensive coaching capacity. he is going to make a fine DC, if not Head Coach, someday.
Old 12-08-2008   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The defense has done the same thing for 3 years now. The 1st half of the season they're a joke and the 2nd half they turn respectable. Personally, I'm tired of it. I was ready to dismiss him after last season and he has since proved he should've been.

He gone!! My .02
What he said....
Old 12-08-2008   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post

Who would be an upgrade?
My question is:

Who wouldn't be?

Old 12-08-2008   #18
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 33937 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Obviousley Duante coming back was a big help, and getting some new blood in the LB Corp has helped.

However this last game was a diachotemy of the season. When the Texans blitz and the CB's are on the line they play tough defense. Then all of a sudden you see the Corners 10 yards off the Line of Scrimmage and poof they give up a big play!

Although Wilson has played well I think we need a big time safety.

If Smith stays and plays aggressive from the start fine, but if he plays vanilla he can hit the road.

Remember last year when because of injuries they had to dumb down the schemes. Thats when we got aggressive last year and it paid off.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #19
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
If Smith stays and plays aggressive from the start fine, but if he plays vanilla he can hit the road.
that's pretty much how i feel.
Old 12-08-2008   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

So, we're going to give him ANOTHER year to prove he won't be aggressive and THEN....what?....fire him 4 games in next season? Or just wait until the end of ANOTHER season to finally get rid of him? But Wait! There's more! He will finally get aggressive in week 11 next year and we'll have this same discussion for ANOTHER offseason. ENOUGH is ENOUGH!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read