Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2008   #1
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thunder

Am I the only one that wishes Kubes would make Vonta Leach the tailback in short yardage situations? That guy flat runs over people everytime he gets a pass; what makes them think he couldn't do the same if they hand him the ball?
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #2
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thunder

I was just thinking that maybe Leach could be the thunder we are looking for to pair up with Slaton's lightning. It would be an interesting thing to try for the Tacks game.
Old 12-08-2008   #3
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Would be a good idea, but how are his hands? I have noticed a couple of occasions when he's gotten the ball, he's dropped it. Maybe that's it?
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance Zierlein talked about this idea on one his blogs and why it wouldn't work (I think that's what he said anyway). I'll see if I can find it.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #5
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

No, you aren't the only one who wishes this.

I called in last week to 610, on Tuesday, and asked Eric Winston the same question. Winston also agreed that he'd like to see Leach get some touches in short yardage, particularly around the goal line.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

sounds like a plan...
...who will be his lead blocker? Dreessen?

And this would be a perfect sucker play too. Dreessen and Leach in the "I"... Schaub fakes it to Leach, rolls out, and tosses it to a wide open Bruener. I'd say OD but everyone knows to watch him.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #7
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't the Kubiak show on Mondays? Maybe I'll call in and pose the question to him.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2008   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it doesnt make alot of sense to take your best lead blocker out of his element on a short yardage play. He needs to pave the way for the play, not run it.
Old 12-08-2008   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
Would be a good idea, but how are his hands? I have noticed a couple of occasions when he's gotten the ball, he's dropped it. Maybe that's it?
His hands are good enough that they haven't given up throwing him the ball. *shrug*
Old 12-08-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
sounds like a plan...
...who will be his lead blocker? Dreessen?

And this would be a perfect sucker play too. Dreessen and Leach in the "I"... Schaub fakes it to Leach, rolls out, and tosses it to a wide open Bruener. I'd say OD but everyone knows to watch him.
Exactly. I had posted this on another thread prior to game. Most of our TEs are big enough and good enough blocking skills to lead the way, especially in red zone. I'd rather see 250+lbs carrying the rock in that situation than Super Slick.
Old 12-08-2008   #11
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly. I had posted this on another thread prior to game. Most of our TEs are big enough and good enough blocking skills to lead the way, especially in red zone. I'd rather see 250+lbs carrying the rock in that situation than Super Slick.
The Coke Machine scoffs at needing a lead blocker. He'll lead block himself right into the end zone and then proceed to kill some grass with that cannon of a left arm he has on a spike.
Old 12-08-2008   #12
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I think one of the biggest fallacies in football is that a short yardage back has to be a big 230+lbs.

All you have to be able to do is hit the hole hard and push the pile. Some of the most effective goal line RB in the history of the league have been smaller guys. Priest Holmes, for example, was a slight 5'9" 213lbs.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #13
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

That sounds like a good idea about Leach for now but what about trading for Marion Barber. I know...call me Mr.Crazy Trade Idea Guy if you want..but it looks like Jerry is happy with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice and questions Barber's toughness after Barber didn't want to play injured.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pft
With the Dallas Cowboys’ 2008 season, which was presumably resurrected after knocking off a twin-pack of NFC West Twinkies at home in four days, now teetering on the edge of the abyss after blowing a ten-point lead with less than seven minutes to play at Pittsburgh on Sunday, owner Jerry Jones focused his most candid remarks on a guy who wasn’t even there to contribute to the debacle.

Jones has, in essence, declared to the world that he thinks Marion Barber, a bruising bull of a tailback, is a big sissy.

“He can play with that injured toe,” Jones said, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. ”He can play with the soreness and a combination of those things. I see nothing that led us to believe he couldn’t.”

Meanwhile, Jones praised rookie running back Tashard Choice, who generated 166 total yards against the Steelers on Sunday.

“Tashard might have added a plus,” Jones said. “I don’t think we lost any slack there.”

As we point out in this week’s Ten-Pack for SportingNews.com (the column is not yet live, and the anticipation for it is now palpable . . . if Webster’s has an alternative definition for “palpable” that includes “non-existent”), the emergence of Choice and the presence of Barber and rookie first-rounder Felix Jones could give the team some trade bait in the offseason.

Indeed, Jones’ comments likely will prompt some teams to start calling in February about the availability of Barber.
The cap consequences of trading Barber, who signed a long-term deal earlier this year, aren’t presently known. Regardless of the timing of the trade, the entire cap charge would hit the books next season, since 2009 is the last capped year under the current CBA.

So if the acceleration is prohibitive, then it arguably wasn’t all that prudent for Jones to risk creating a problem with a player who could screw up team chemistry in the coming year even more than team chemistry already is screwed up right now.

Then again, given that Barber was drafted by Bill Parcells and that Felix Jones and Choice came after Parcells left town and then a year later raided the front office, our guess is that Jerry Jones would prefer to load the 2009 backfield with Felix Jones and Choice, since both players were added by the current regime.
pft

Just a thought and what would it take to get Barber?...I don't like the Cowboys but I respect Barber and love his tough running style.

Oh by the way...Jerry Jones is an idi0t.....

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think one of the biggest fallacies in football is that a short yardage back has to be a big 230+lbs.

All you have to be able to do is hit the hole hard and push the pile. Some of the most effective goal line RB in the history of the league have been smaller guys. Priest Holmes, for example, was a slight 5'9" 213lbs.
Yup--look at the list of guys who have set the single season records--Payton, Emmitt, LT, Holmes.
Old 12-08-2008   #15
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

You rarely see fullbacks carrying the ball from the fullback position. I've always thought is a good play to run to catch the defense off balance.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #16
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
That sounds like a good idea about Leach for now but what about trading for Marion Barber. I know...call me Mr.Crazy Trade Idea Guy if you want..but it looks like Jerry is happy with Felix Jones and Tashard Choice and questions Barber's toughness after Barber didn't want to play injured.....

pft

Just a thought and what would it take to get Barber?...I don't like the Cowboys but I respect Barber and love his tough running style.

Oh by the way...Jerry Jones is an idi0t.....
I actually really like that idea. Barber is a hell of a running back, and I can see him doing very well next to Slaton. Imagine the Barberian and Stevie Wonder splitting carries.... Or having both of them in a split back formation of some kind... It'd be nice to have 2 1,000 yard rushers to go along with our pair of 1,000 yard receivers next year, don't you think?

That being said Jerry's going to ask for way too much so it won't happen, just saying I'd be in favor of considering it.
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #17
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going with Turk as my choice for Short Yardage. Look at that 18 yarder he broke off yesterday!!!!!!
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #18
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

SHORT YARDAGE ONLY:

I would keep Vonta at fullback and put OD in as the runner. Despite his fumble yesterday he always gets yards after first contact. that would provide the punch you need to get 3 + yardsw and into the endzone.
Old 12-08-2008   #19
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Teams ignore him on passing plays. The Packers learned what happens when you do that and he actually catches the ball.
Old 12-08-2008   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Y'all can add Marion Barber to the list of crap that isn't going to happen. He is in the first year of a contract which had a $12 mil signing bonus--he isn't going anywhere unless Jerry wants to carry $10 mil in dead money.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read