Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2008   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default An apology to the board regarding Brandon Harrison!

After the first Indy game and Miami game, I argued that Brandon Harrison looked like he could develop into a good safety for us. I was actually pretty excited about the guy.

Man, that was a colossal mistake! Once again, I think my optimism got the better of me.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: An apology to the board regarding Brandon Harrison!

No apology needed. Some guys take longer than others. He's going to take another year. He ain't done yet.
Old 12-08-2008   #3
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

he looks pretty slow out there. big, and hits hard, but sloooooow.
Silver Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
No apology needed. Some guys take longer than others. He's going to take another year. He ain't done yet.
Maybe. But I argued with Vinnie who said he was not physical enough and may have mentioned that his instincts aren't good. That's not a good combination for a safety!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #5
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
he looks pretty slow out there. big, and hits hard, but sloooooow.
Yeah he is not reacting to plays very well and that really makes him look slow. In a perfect world, the more he plays the more comfortable he will get in the defense and then the quicker he reacts. That being said, Im not so sure about him being our next great SS.

I do however think he has a place on this team as depth. More experience needed either way. I say by end of next season we will know what he has as a player. And I dont mean by starting him in all of those games either. I really hope that doesnt happen. He really looks like he has to be brought on slowly.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to spend about a 2nd or 3rd to get a safety this next draft. Harrison doesn't play too well, Barber is a special teams guy at best, Ferguson is one step ahead of Demps, Wilson is our only worthy-of-his-spot safety we have on the roster now. Hopefully C.c. Brown is okay but I don't want to see him on the field ever again. Definitely needs to be addressed.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #7
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

There is still a long way to go for him. But anytime a player is taken 5th round or above...I think reserved optimism for the first few years is the best route imo.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2008   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

you give up to easy. I saw him in press coverage, lacks ball skills but smart, has plus speed for a safety, fluid hips, change direction yet physical & still hits like a safety. finished 2nd on the team in tackles, playing for injured Nick Ferguson. He is a much bigger safety, still developing, the Texans coaching staff loves him so see him improving through the end of season & winning out a starting FS position in next fall camp (excluding a high draft pick @ FS). but remember its only his second year & he was drafted in the 5th rd. plenty to be hopeful about
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #9
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm wondering what happened to Will Demps. He was a Pro-Bowl alternate last year and can't even get on the field this year.

I know that he's on the injury report this week, but he was on the inactive list last week. Seems to me that he might be in the doghouse now.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
. . . . but remember its only his second year & he was drafted in the 5th rd. plenty to be hopeful about
Said it perfectly.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #11
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I really had high hopes for Harrison. I heard a lot of good things about him. Maybe he will get his shit together, hopefully should I say.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #12
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Its never a good thing to be slow as a db at any level.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
but remember its only his second year & he was drafted in the 5th rd. plenty to be hopeful about
If memory serves, I think he was out most of his first year with injury and he came to camp very late because of finals and or a late graduation date, so for all practice purposes this is more like his rookie year in the NFL and not
second.
**PRO (through 2007 season): Spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve…looks to contribute to the secondary and on special teams.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/pl...?player_id=288
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #14
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Believe it or not, but safety is harder to play than corner as a young player. Route recognition is huge and takes alot of film study and great instincts. from what i saw of harrison, he cant get it done. His reaction is slow and i know its hard seeing all those routes develop infront of you, but the jennings play was uncalled for. You cant bite a teaser route and let a guy get behind you. Reeves as usual cant find the ball, but him being the last line of defense, he shouldve knocked the ball down or intercepted it. Wilson is a keeper and i would probably start training molden for back there. Harrison isnt going to get it done.
Old 12-08-2008   #15
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

he sucks. just because he wears a Texans uniform doesn't make him any good. slow to move, slow to react, and not an NFL-caliber safety. I didn't like the pick when we drafted him and I still don't.
Old 12-08-2008   #16
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Yeah he is not reacting to plays very well and that really makes him look slow. In a perfect world, the more he plays the more comfortable he will get in the defense and then the quicker he reacts. That being said, Im not so sure about him being our next great SS.

I do however think he has a place on this team as depth. More experience needed either way. I say by end of next season we will know what he has as a player. And I dont mean by starting him in all of those games either. I really hope that doesnt happen. He really looks like he has to be brought on slowly.
Perhaps one of the reasons he's so slow to diagnose is that we seem to have changed our defensive philosophy for the second half of the season.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read