Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2008   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I think the Texans are turning the corner

I am so frigging happy with today's win. We ****ing outplayed Green Bay all f'ing day long on offense and defense. But for the turnovers we would have won this game by 21 points.

We deserved the win today and I am glad we got it. Schaub was great today and he is a keeper. I have a HUGE mancrush on Slaton. Let's draft a bruiser like Glen Coffee from Bama and we will have an incredible running game.

Our offense looks very good. Our D played smart all day. Still fire Dick Smith because this D should have been playing like this all season long. With a new D coordinator and add a safety and we will win 11 games next year.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: I think the Texans are turning the corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I am so frigging happy with today's win. We ****ing outplayed Green Bay all f'ing day long on offense and defense. But for the turnovers we would have won this game by 21 points.

We deserved the win today and I am glad we got it. Schaub was great today and he is a keeper. I have a HUGE mancrush on Slaton. Let's draft a bruiser like Glen Coffee from Bama and we will have an incredible running game.

Our offense looks very good. Our D played smart all day. Still fire Dick Smith because this D should have been playing like this all season long. With a new D coordinator and add a safety and we will win 11 games next year.
I've been telling my friends that all season long, but I don't think he'll fall as far as I'd hoped.

As for turning the corner .... well, I'll buy that when they stop turning the ball over so damn much. At least today it wasn't the QB killing us. All the players that had been so sure-handed up to this point were the ones. So maybe they'll put it all together against the Tacks.
Old 12-07-2008   #3
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to get a handle on the turnover problem, but this team does look like it's growing up -- and learning how to find ways to win.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I remain a skeptic.

Don't get mad at me for raining on the parade! This was a great game. No, this was the BEST game all season long. I am putting this win in my back pocket and will carry it with me all week long.

I didn't do that with the Dolphins/Lions/Bengals wins.

This was a fun day.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #5
cowbellm00
100% Houstonian

Rep Power: 10 cowbellm00 is a Pro Bowlercowbellm00 is a Pro Bowler
Send a message via Yahoo to cowbellm00

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I remain a skeptic.

Don't get mad at me for raining on the parade! This was a great game. No, this was the BEST game all season long. I am putting this win in my back pocket and will carry it with me all week long.

I didn't do that with the Dolphins/Lions/Bengals wins.

This was a fun day.
I agree completly. But honestly, the D is holding teams under 30+. That's been the diffrence Finally! We we so with our DC Smith because we didn't even give our offense a chance to win. Today is a perfext example of that chance that hadn't been there in our other "close" losses.

I fear that with Smith changing the D this late in the season, and us playing like ourselves he might keep his job here. I still want him gone next season. I know we're going to here the "if it aint broke don't fix it" goofs come out, but I still say it's to little , to late for Smith.

" nanana na ... nanana na...hey hey hey, goodbye! "
cowbellm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #6
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Iam skeptic has well good win nahhh dirty win 4 turnovers on the road that=LOse 95% of the time

turnovers costed us playoffs
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #7
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

it's a hell of a corner we've gotta turn... dunno if we're there yet, but we are certainly on our way. just get the bruising back, get someone other than mario and bulman to rush the passer, and grab a really good CB and maybe the corner'll be turned.
Old 12-07-2008   #8
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Iam skeptic has well good win nahhh dirty win 4 turnovers on the road that=LOse 95% of the time
I don't disagree with that, but one of the marks that a team is making progress is that they learn how to win games like these.

The top teams aren't always the best team on the field and they don't always play mistake-free football. What they *do*, on the other hand, is not let their mistakes take them out of their game (contrast Schaub and Sage here), stay close and manage to pull a rabbit out of their hat in the 59th minute. And at the end of the game, you ask: "How could they win that game?"

When you start saying that a lot about a team, that team is a winner. It knows how to win when they didn't bring their A-game.

It's way early to pronounce this team has definitively "turned the corner," but it's showing some signs of it that we're not used to seeing in Texans football.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #9
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

4 turn over's and we still come out with a win at Lambeau in that kind of weather... I'm pretty impressed with the game plan Kubiak and Co. put together to be able to overcome those types of obstacles and win a game on the road.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope we are, but until that corner is actually turned I will remain skeptical along with many others.

And if we want to become a good team, Kubiak needs to stop taking stupid timeouts like the one where he went for 2. You shouldn't need to call a time out on an extra point...
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #11
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously think the play-calling and defense responsibilities were stripped from Smith for awhile now. It would explain oh so much of how they were playing since the Brown game. Didn't Kubiak said he was being more 'involved' with the D now?

I think he means that he made some switch with the Defensive coordinator behind the scene, giving the responsibilities to Frank Bush. This might be his trial period, in which he is being tested as DC... so far he is passing with flying colors, if it is indeed true. I mean the packs for freakin 0/8 at one point in the game for third down conversion.

If this is truly Frank Bush doing on D in the last 3 or weeks, then I would have no complaints whatsoever if he is name our DC at the end of the season.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
I seriously think the play-calling and defense responsibilities were stripped from Smith for awhile now. It would explain oh so much of how they were playing since the Brown game. Didn't Kubiak said he was being more 'involved' with the D now?

I think he means that he made some switch with the Defensive coordinator behind the scene, giving the responsibilities to Frank Bush. This might be his trial period, in which he is being tested as DC... so far he is passing with flying colors, if it is indeed true. I mean the packs for freakin 0/8 at one point in the game for third down conversion.

If this is truly Frank Bush doing on D in the last 3 or weeks, then I would have no complaints whatsoever if he is name our DC at the end of the season.
I hope that's all true. Hopefully someone from the media asks Kubiak about it tomorrow in the 3:30 press conference
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #13
ReliantTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 364 ReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedReliantTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
, Kubiak needs to stop taking stupid timeouts like the one where he went for 2. You shouldn't need to call a time out on an extra point...
I have no problem with him making sure everyone is on the same page. It was a huge conversion, if we didn't convert that then they would have had the lead with under 2 minutes to
ReliantTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Turnovers happen. But excessive turnovers are the signs of poor coaching.

Put the pads on those guys in practice and maybe they will learn how to hang onto the ball when they get hit.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #15
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

We won a road game where we were favored to lose by over a touchdown. Let the complaining commence!!

*oh brother*
Old 12-07-2008   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We won a road game where we were favored to lose by over a touchdown. Let the complaining commence!!

*oh brother*
Everybody is happy with this win.

But only the Texans could dominate an entire game and still come out on the losing end in that fashion.

Just because we are happy doesn't mean we have to be satisfied.

We really really need to cut down on the turnovers if we want this to be a winning team any time soon.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #17
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

I posted this in another thread.....

The win today was great, no question. But the turnovers have been a problem since Kubiak took over. This team will not take the next step until the turnovers are corrected.

If it's not corrected, it could cost Kubiak his job.
Old 12-07-2008   #18
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I almost hate to break it to y'all, but our D didn't actually do that well. They gave up over 5 yards a carry to Grant and Rodgers had almost 300 yards passing. What kept their team from scoring too much was mostly all our offense's long drives. A long drive with a fumble at the 1 yd. line is like a stupendous punt, except that it burns a LOT of time off the clock. It's like kicking a punt that soars for 8 freaking minutes and is caught at the 3 by a defender, lol.

Even with those long drives by our O, the D (again) gave up over 5 yds. a carry and 295 passing yards. Did the D suck? No, I'd have to say they did sort of alright, but not that good. Best thing the D did was the 3 and out before JJ pulled a....well, JJ on the miffed punt, and of course the sack by Ryans to put them out of field-goal range. THAT was huge!!!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
I posted this in another thread.....

The win today was great, no question. But the turnovers have been a problem since Kubiak took over. This team will not take the next step until the turnovers are corrected.

If it's not corrected, it could cost Kubiak his job.
The turnovers today were not on Kubiak, IMO.
Owen "Ironhands" Daniels puts the ball on the ground?
Steve "Glue" Slaton puts it down?

Schaub just returned from being out a few weeks, and he only had the one INT. The other two were flukes that we usually do not see.

All in all, they looked pretty composed and careful out there with the football. There weren't nearly as many "closecalls" as we're used to with Rosenchopper
Old 12-07-2008   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I think the fumbles were mostly a result of frozen footballs. The commentator even said that the Texans weren't giving them away; the Packers were forcing them.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read