Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2005   #81
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need a TE that can catch AND block more than we need another WR.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #82
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Our weakness on offense was the O-line this year. Hands down. Some young guys playing in new positions combined with a new blocking scheme is not the worlds best recipe for short term success. Now long term it has the potential to be very good.

And just to let my frusterations out - if we could have just moved the ball 10 or 20 more yards even to give Brown a chance to kick a field goal...man that is the difference between a winning and a loosing season.

Carr kept the ball on roll outs way to long and/or failed to execute with creativity in a pinch on those same roll outs. I do believe impovisation will just come with experience.

However, with good reason I do like the progress of this team overall. Another year of free agency combined with another draft - we'll be formitable. Casserly and the coaches will sort out the personel problems. I really do believe that we will get some very good free agents this year. The word is out - Houston *is* the city and team to play for.

Just some initial thoughts for a Friday night.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #83
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who they pick

So who they draft first is what they think is the most pressing need.I don't believe their at the point of taking best player there.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #84
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
Our weakness on offense was the O-line this year. Hands down. Some young guys playing in new positions combined with a new blocking scheme is not the worlds best recipe for short term success. Now long term it has the potential to be very good.

And just to let my frusterations out - if we could have just moved the ball 10 or 20 more yards even to give Brown a chance to kick a field goal...man that is the difference between a winning and a loosing season.

Carr kept the ball on roll outs way to long and/or failed to execute with creativity in a pinch on those same roll outs. I do believe impovisation will just come with experience.

However, with good reason I do like the progress of this team overall. Another year of free agency combined with another draft - we'll be formitable. Casserly and the coaches will sort out the personel problems. I really do believe that we will get some very good free agents this year. The word is out - Houston *is* the city and team to play for.

Just some initial thoughts for a Friday night.
I do believe that if we could have moved the ball a little bit further against the Vikes once we tied it up, we could have certainly won that game and been 8-8. But I wouldn't say that was necessarily the case against GB because our offense completely shut down later in the game and "The Team" was just trying to hold on. I don't think a draft/FA will make the Texans "formidable" but it will make them more competitive. As far as Houston being the city and team to play for, I don't think so. The lure of playoffs and the championship is what attracts players. If you will notice, we haven't really done too well in attracting big-name players to "The Team" for that very reason. The failure to get Stephen Davis over here is a case in point.
Old 01-08-2005   #85
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS
I think we need a TE that can catch AND block more than we need another WR.
was it me or isnt that a big reason we brought in Breuner, not to catch the ball, but to help Billy Miller with his blocking ability...since that is what he needed more help with... Also we drafted Joppru thinking he might have been the answer, but all he has been doing is sitting on IR with a nagging groin injury or something like that... i would like to see Miller pan out and imrpove his blocking, since he has been an integral part of this team, for the most part, since day one. If we were to take a tight end in the draft, who would we take? im not sure about a tight end at #13, i think there will be plenty of TE available througout the draft, and i would see it to much of an opportunity to pass on Mike Williams, if he is still available
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005   #86
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Think about it

Hey heres a thought,Miller not getting the ball is relative to Gaffney not producing and their best player going a whole game catching two passes.Its called not having enough time or not adapting with shorter drops.The player who benefits the most is DD.
The Offensive Cordinator and Line Coach decides drops and blocking schemes.If we had Tony Gonzales i'm not sure he'd catch 40 passes.

Earl The Tyler Rose
Old 01-08-2005   #87
THEFUTURE
All Pro

I still do believe this is an OL problem.
- defenses are usually only rushing with a front 3 or 4, and maybe one LB at most. if a defense only pass rushes a front four, then there are 7 guys in pass coverage. while we are lining up 6 guys to block 4
- this is a big reason Dre, Gaff, and Bradford are not getting open. its possible for each one to be covered by a CB and a safety, or a LB.
- with the receivers unable to get open, the pocket starts to collapse, and Carr can do nothin else but dump it off to DD.

Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2005   #88
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Default San Diego

San Diego started a 3rd round pick (04) at center and a 7th rounder (04) at tackle and their in the playoffs .Theres more than a personel problem .
Old 01-09-2005   #89
Hit Man
Rookie

Default Texan's Needs for Next Season.

The Texan's stunk on the final game of the season. David must admit this.

The Texan's have the 13 pick next year, and they are in dire need of offensive linemen. Seth Wand stinks! I only had to watch him let DC get killed or chased out of the pocket on almost ever passing play. No statistics are out on the number of sacks he allowed, but I'll put money on it that it was high.

On the offensive side of the ball. Mark Brunner did an admiral job. He should have had more balls thrown his way. He proved that he can catch. Chester Pitts is solid. Todd Wade was too even with his injury. All the others are questionable.

On the defensive side of the ball, Seth Payne showed glimpses of dominance. Gary Walker was a non-factor not an X-Factor. Robaire Smith can't get through the O-line by himself. So, the Texans' must draft D-linemen desperately.

The Texan's need a receiver, a tightend....their pick from 2 years ago is a total bust. They need at least 1 stud O-lineman, at least 1 stud D-lineman, a cornerbackthat can be groomed....Aaron Glenn is good, but he's getting older.

With that said, the Texan's only scored 26 more points than last year. Only 26, did you hear me! I've said it for 3 years now....Fire Chris Palmer. He stays with the run way to much....way into the 3rd quarter when we need to pass the ball because we are way behind. He always runs on 1st down. He always calls the same run on 1st, run on 2nd, throw on 3rd. This usually takes place in the 3rd quarter, too. He stayed away from play calling to A.J. late in the year. He waits to long to get everyone involved. He doesn't throw on 1st downs, and he rarely runs the play action pass....he prefers the roll out. He turns completely conservative once the Texan's get a lead instead of blowing the game open. It's run, run, run. I'm sorry, but the Texan's don't have an Earl Campbell.

This was the year that Palmer was supposed to focus more on the play calling. Boy, what a job. He engineered 26 more points with fewer job responsibilities. When the Texan's had nothing to play for, Palmer still didn't open up the offense. Why should I expect anything different from him. He hasn't done it in the previous two years either. He's a former Oiler coach. Play to not lose the game....don't play to win. The players just don't appear to be sold on his system.

The offensive line and it's experiment should have been a commercial for Tinker Toys. Seth Wand was a bust! Zone Blocking....was it really that good, or did we play some poor run defenses.....save Jacksonville. The offensive line couldn't block the USC Trojan's much less less pro's There wasn't much fire in their eyes. So, I'm not sold on Joe Pendry's blocking scheme, but then he may not be the one who wanted to implement it. We don't know because he doesn't talk. Where's Carl Mauck when you need him.

I like Dom Caper's and Vic Fangio. Vic's defenses always start off the year slow but they usually end up with a bang. It seems like his play calling gets better as the season goes on. Dom is a perfectionist, but he needs to crack the whip on his offensive coordinator. He needs to tell him....get me some points....not just yardage. Yardage doesn't win games, nor does blaming the players.

I predicted 9-7 this year, and I would have been right had the Texan's not looked flat in Detroit and here with Cleveland. Instead, we are a loser with all our hopes riding on next year for the fourth year in a row. Hmm! I haven't seen that much drastic improvement from any of the three years. I predict we might win more games next season. Maybe we will win 9 games next year, but I bet we would more with a new offensive coordinator. Look at Marty Schotenheimer, and you can see that it can be done, but not with the coach (offensive coordinator) that we currently have in place. But even Schotenheimer said he had to change his thinking, but Palmer is a stallwart and resistant to change. The fact is something had better change Charlie Casserly and Bob McNair, or those seats aren't going to be full to much longer.

Am I really a pessamist....I think not. I am a realist. I turned the Cleveland game off at the beginning of the 3rd quarter because I knew the Texan's weren't going to win. Wow! I was right! I've been right before. I just hope that I'm not right about next year, but I doubt than anything will change with the offensive play calling and I believe the Texan's will be mediocre at best in the offensive catagory, but only time will tell. I haven't been wrong yet! The Texan's are 's no matter how you slice the pie.

The Hit-Man!
Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #90
Supertex
Rookie

Hmm. I agree Fire Chris Palmer. He makes horrible calls and is probably the reason we lost the close games *Minnesota*...Seth Payne needs to leave. We need another solid Defensive linemen but, before we touch that we need a damn O Line. Bruener did an *Okay* job , as well as Miller. It would be nice to have a better TE but thats no the base of our worries. We need a O line and D line thats worth a ****. The end
Old 01-09-2005   #91
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Default 300 pounders are us .

The Texans need OL with some attitude.That OT for the Sooners is one nasty dude.I think his name is Brown.I'd take a DL with 13th pick if I thought he's a better prospect.I'd take Derrick Johnson with the 13th pick if he's there.I would not take a skills position or a secondary player anytime soon.

Beltran means nothing to me anymore.
Old 01-09-2005   #92
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertex
Seth Payne needs to leave.
Why would we let go one of the few defensive linemen that actually play well, if any linemen needs to pack up and go if he is not gonna play better, its Gary Walker, .5 sacks in 2 seasons, ridiculous.

The Texans most likely are not gonna draft an OL early in the draft, and i doubt they will go for a DL with the number 13 pick... the team wants to cover those later it the draft or most likely through FA
Old 01-09-2005   #93
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Default Combine

Until the All-star games and combine are completed.Its hard to tell whats what.But I mantain the Texans will take the best 300 pounder at 13.
Old 01-09-2005   #94
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Than we agree to disagree, no problem...to each his own... well just see what shakes out when the draft rolls around. but you got to admit, its a long shot, but if Mike Williams is still available, it would be mighty hard to pass on the possibility of Carr having the option of Dre and Williams, with DD in the backfield. maybe then Palmer would grow some nuts and open up the play book
Old 01-09-2005   #95
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
but if Mike Williams is still available, it would be mighty hard to pass on the possibility of Carr having the option of Dre and Williams, with DD in the backfield. maybe then Palmer would grow some nuts and open up the play book

If it were me , i would take an O or D lineman @ 13 UNLESS there is a skill position player left on the board who is just too good to pass up , Mike Wiliams would fall into that category . At which point you have the option of trading down or taking the player .Thats where you have to weigh the offers from other teams VS. the posibilities that player gives you on the field . Filling multiple holes on the team is nice but adding another player w/ superstar potential .....Depends on the offer you get for the pick
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #96
mwclark

Default David Carr & Texans need more beef up front

Mike Williams would be a nice pick but we have quality receivers now, we need to concentrate on getting better up front, it is hard to throw the ball consistently well went you are running for your life.....our sack total went up this year not down as it should be if your line is progressing. We need quality linemen that will be here for several years. The Line blocks and the Line pass protects and all offense begins and ends with the Line. Remember how valuable Bruce Mathews and Mike Muncheck was to the Oilers and Earl Campbell and Warren Moon. Build a strong line and the offense will be very productive.
Old 01-09-2005   #97
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man
The Texan's stunk on the final game of the season. David must admit this.

The Texan's have the 13 pick next year, and they are in dire need of offensive linemen. Seth Wand stinks! I only had to watch him let DC get killed or chased out of the pocket on almost ever passing play. No statistics are out on the number of sacks he allowed, but I'll put money on it that it was high.

On the offensive side of the ball. Mark Brunner did an admiral job. He should have had more balls thrown his way. He proved that he can catch. Chester Pitts is solid. Todd Wade was too even with his injury. All the others are questionable.

On the defensive side of the ball, Seth Payne showed glimpses of dominance. Gary Walker was a non-factor not an X-Factor. Robaire Smith can't get through the O-line by himself. So, the Texans' must draft D-linemen desperately.

The Texan's need a receiver, a tightend....their pick from 2 years ago is a total bust. They need at least 1 stud O-lineman, at least 1 stud D-lineman, a cornerbackthat can be groomed....Aaron Glenn is good, but he's getting older.

With that said, the Texan's only scored 26 more points than last year. Only 26, did you hear me! I've said it for 3 years now....Fire Chris Palmer. He stays with the run way to much....way into the 3rd quarter when we need to pass the ball because we are way behind. He always runs on 1st down. He always calls the same run on 1st, run on 2nd, throw on 3rd. This usually takes place in the 3rd quarter, too. He stayed away from play calling to A.J. late in the year. He waits to long to get everyone involved. He doesn't throw on 1st downs, and he rarely runs the play action pass....he prefers the roll out. He turns completely conservative once the Texan's get a lead instead of blowing the game open. It's run, run, run. I'm sorry, but the Texan's don't have an Earl Campbell.

This was the year that Palmer was supposed to focus more on the play calling. Boy, what a job. He engineered 26 more points with fewer job responsibilities. When the Texan's had nothing to play for, Palmer still didn't open up the offense. Why should I expect anything different from him. He hasn't done it in the previous two years either. He's a former Oiler coach. Play to not lose the game....don't play to win. The players just don't appear to be sold on his system.

The offensive line and it's experiment should have been a commercial for Tinker Toys. Seth Wand was a bust! Zone Blocking....was it really that good, or did we play some poor run defenses.....save Jacksonville. The offensive line couldn't block the USC Trojan's much less less pro's There wasn't much fire in their eyes. So, I'm not sold on Joe Pendry's blocking scheme, but then he may not be the one who wanted to implement it. We don't know because he doesn't talk. Where's Carl Mauck when you need him.

I like Dom Caper's and Vic Fangio. Vic's defenses always start off the year slow but they usually end up with a bang. It seems like his play calling gets better as the season goes on. Dom is a perfectionist, but he needs to crack the whip on his offensive coordinator. He needs to tell him....get me some points....not just yardage. Yardage doesn't win games, nor does blaming the players.

I predicted 9-7 this year, and I would have been right had the Texan's not looked flat in Detroit and here with Cleveland. Instead, we are a loser with all our hopes riding on next year for the fourth year in a row. Hmm! I haven't seen that much drastic improvement from any of the three years. I predict we might win more games next season. Maybe we will win 9 games next year, but I bet we would more with a new offensive coordinator. Look at Marty Schotenheimer, and you can see that it can be done, but not with the coach (offensive coordinator) that we currently have in place. But even Schotenheimer said he had to change his thinking, but Palmer is a stallwart and resistant to change. The fact is something had better change Charlie Casserly and Bob McNair, or those seats aren't going to be full to much longer.

Am I really a pessamist....I think not. I am a realist. I turned the Cleveland game off at the beginning of the 3rd quarter because I knew the Texan's weren't going to win. Wow! I was right! I've been right before. I just hope that I'm not right about next year, but I doubt than anything will change with the offensive play calling and I believe the Texan's will be mediocre at best in the offensive catagory, but only time will tell. I haven't been wrong yet! The Texan's are 's no matter how you slice the pie.

The Hit-Man!
Everyone is talking about this year's improvement. But when you look at strength of schedule and compare it to how we finished last season, I'm not so certain the statistics being quoted as showing improvement mean much. I think most of us at the end of last season were really looking forward to this year and we thought we would see a lot of improvement. Part of that is because of injuries and I still maintain that has set us back up to 2-3 years. That I don't blame the coaches for, but where are the people who performed so well at the end of last year. Will we see coaching changes prior to the next season, probably not, should we, probably yes. I hope I'm wrong in my accessment of what's in store for us next year, but I think we are all going to be a lot more unhappy than you think unless we make a big splash in the FA market and the draft. We may need to give up the 13 and pick up a couple of quality people further down in the draft. We need bodies and good ones to fill all of the holes. We also need BJ, Payne and others to get healthy and reappear as players.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #98
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Default measuring up

I'll bet that after Mike Williams gets measured and timed he will not be as highly thought of.I'm not saying Gaffney is great but we used a high 2nd on him.You could have TO and Moss with Gates as your tight end and Carr still would not have time to throw.Either we don't have the talent or we don't have the coaching on the OL.
If we're not going to build a line for Carr then its a shame we don't play a 4-3 defense . We would be farther along drafting Julius Peppers.
Old 01-09-2005   #99
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwclark
Mike Williams would be a nice pick but we have quality receivers now, we need to concentrate on getting better up front, it is hard to throw the ball consistently well went you are running for your life
Ive said before im not quite sold on the idea of having gaff and bradford as the other options at wide receiver, but thats just me... and i have also said i dont see a OL being taken especially with our 13th pick... if we want more results next year, than putting in a rookie OLmen isnt going to help matters...if anything i think it might hurt more. the only real possibilities i see are taking a skill player( Williams preferably ), a DE, or trading for more picks...taking a OL is just something i would rather leave to FA

hopefully we can address both, making everyone happy...im sure charley has got something up his sleave
Old 01-09-2005   #100
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijcomm
Until you are wearing coaching credentials and standing on the sideline or sitting in the coaches' box, please refrain from telling me how a linemen performed without knowing what his assignment or task is on each play. To do so is, well, absurd.
Funny, isn't that exactly Casserly and every other scout/GM's job when evaluating FA's and potential draft picks? Yup. And how do they do it?--with game film--that tool you consider completely useless without knowing the assignments. Care to go for the truly absurd and claim they get all the assignments from all the college and pro-teams? I'm calling that game, set and match.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read