Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2005   #21
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Getting more speed and youth on the d line is a must, spears, wright or cody could fix that problem. Another pass rusher along with peek to push wong and babins. A couple of games on the bench should light a fire under on of them. The o line also has to get an attitude, when you compair them to other o line the other lines have a vocal leader who fires up his team mates, like Willie Anderson (bengals), Kyle Turly (rams) and Ron Stone (raiders) just to name a few.
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005   #22
SESupergenius

There are only about 3 guys so far in FA that would fit in our 3-4. Williams of Buffalo is the best choice but he will come with a hefty price tag. Hovan is another but he has baggage and is slightly undersized for the NT. We need a NT that is at least 315 pounds.
Old 01-05-2005   #23
NoBullTexan
Veteran

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the mistakes that Wand made were from inexperience at the position, and you could possibly include Pitts in that category, since he had not played LG before. Now tell me what was the excuse of Mr (invisible) McKinney. Mr. (always injured) Weigert, and Mr (experienced) Wade? Heck, why not include Mr. TE, Breuner?
Old 01-05-2005   #24
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

People have been talking about Walter Jones........you know how much that would cost to bring him in here? O-Line is a must. I think Wand and Pitts have a lot of talent, especially Wand, he just has no experirence, he came from a Div. III school. Pitt is improving and I think Wade is solid. Not great, but solid. He is not our biggest concern. Weirght who never impressed me from the start, is a must upgrade.

I also think we need another big outside threat. Andre Johnson is great, but really, who is our #2 receiver? Bradford is a speedster, not a catcher, and I like Gaffney as a slot-3rd down receiver. Go get Edwards in the draft, of maybe even Mike Williams. Can you imagine what Johnson and Williams would look like? It would scare the money out of the Def Coodinators and it would give Carr another big option, maybe even taking pressure off our OLine.

On defense, ILB is our biggest concern. We need a run stopper that is going to read and bust through the line and get the RB before he gets started. Foreman doesn't give us that. Go get a guy that is going to make plays at that postion and can run from 1 end of the feild to the other.

D-Line is a major concern as well. Smith has been the best guy on this line. Walker is getting to slow with age, and I don't think Payne is at full strenght. Go get a guy that is going to make plays to get the QB out of the pocket and bust up running plays. We will have to go get I think a small DT just like Smith was.

I saw Carlos Rogers play the other night and I am sold on that guy. He would be a perfect fit in replacing Aaron Glenn. He is big at 6' somethin, great closing speed, and great hands.

Also, how about that Nugget kid from Ohio State, the kicker? Brown is not that great of a kicker. He would probably be gone in the second so he will be at a high price, but this could be the next great kicker in the NFL. Just look at what Nate Keading did in SD.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #25
trijcomm

Default FA won't help Texans woes

Plugging a player or two here and there in the OL and DL is NOT going to help the situation. What's needed is getting these guys to work together as a unit and blend with each other. For example, there are some teams in the league such as Denver who ALWAYS have a good running game, no matter who the back is. That's because they have a good system set up by good coaching that works year in and year out. It doesn't matter who they plug in -- the system works. That's what the Texans need on both sides of the ball in regards to line play. Unfortunately, that sometimes takes years to achieve -- if ever. And in the process, it takes time to find out if there really is a weak link in the chain or if it's just a matter of them working into the system. When you are talking about improving line play, that is a much bigger task than just finding one guy like a QB or RB. eek:
Old 01-06-2005   #26
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijcomm
Plugging a player or two here and there in the OL and DL is NOT going to help the situation. What's needed is getting these guys to work together as a unit and blend with each other. For example, there are some teams in the league such as Denver who ALWAYS have a good running game, no matter who the back is. That's because they have a good system set up by good coaching that works year in and year out. It doesn't matter who they plug in -- the system works. That's what the Texans need on both sides of the ball in regards to line play. Unfortunately, that sometimes takes years to achieve -- if ever. And in the process, it takes time to find out if there really is a weak link in the chain or if it's just a matter of them working into the system. When you are talking about improving line play, that is a much bigger task than just finding one guy like a QB or RB. eek:

Ill agree with you to an extent but we ALL KNOW that there is a lack of TALENT on the Texans O-Line . Weak Link .... Steve McKinney . Pitts / Wand are young players Wade / Weigert dont have that excuse , it may be the fact they changed the system that caused the problems in the running game but i dont believe pass protection changes from the man to man blocking scheme to the zone scheme . simple fact is they were the worst in the league at pass protection . There needs to be an upgrade of talent on the O-Line .

On the D-Line i think age / injury have depleted the skills of a couple of the Texans starters , Gary Walker may have been a Pro Bowl player at one point but the past two seasons he has done little to nothing . Injury / Age have caught up to him . Seth Payne was injuried and sat out 90% of last season and is hurt again now , he rebounded well from his last injury but can we expect him to do it again ? . Smith played well the second half of the season . Sears and Deloach are quality BACK-UP's Not Starting calibur players .

It ll starts up front , if you cant block on offense and cant stop the run / put heat on the QB on Defense you cant win , simple as that . Do the Texans need more talent up front ....... YES
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

These are both two areas of concern that I would like to see addressed in a big way. Who are people yall have in mind that could make a difference for this team?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2005   #28
THEFUTURE
All Pro

I am not sure on taking a OL in the first round. There are a lot more things we can address with the first pick... OL can be addressed later on in the draft or through free agency. I would rather see it done through the latter, because drafting OL players takes time, especially with our zone blocking scheme. I dont know if we want to take all that time developing a young OL, especially when people want to see results by next year
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #29
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i say we pick up some middle age FA in the off season for the O-Line, because we all know how rookies growing pains are, and we dont wanna risk carr at their expense !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #30
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Again, why not use FA? But the higher ups have said they're not interested. Are they saying we have all we need right now? The owner says we are going to address protection for Carr, but the say no to FA. None of this makes sense to me, but that's me......................
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
But the higher ups have said they're not interested.
No, what Casserly said was no high priced FA's--and it is called playing your cards close to your vest.
Old 01-06-2005   #32
TexansFan#80
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Our biggest concerns this offseason are the O line and the D line.
This about sums it up.

Second to this would be getting a WR to complement AJ

Last edited by TexansFan#80; 01-06-2005 at 05:07 PM.
TexansFan#80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #33
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 103984 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

offensively.
1)at least 1 lineman that can actually hold its own. I doubt drafting one is the ticket, we'd have the same problems ..experience .. IMO.. I hope we find a legit center in the FA market
2) hollings to pan out or get a breakaway back
3)Joppru to get healthy or draft another TE
4) need to find a #2 WR

defensively
1) a NT that can hog 2 linemen and maybe open the door for the others so they can atleast get smelling distance to the QB
2) I'd personally like to see us draft another CB to groom for glenn. I don't think we will be drafting higher than 13 next season.

special teams.
I returner . JJ is solid but I would like to seesomeonethat can burn

honorable mention.
I'd like tosee a LB drafted to push foreman.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #34
block4carrmore
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Improving the Trenches!!!!! More pass protection AND more pass rush... pretty simple to me.
I absolutely agree. Would they protect better if they were protecting Shania Twain instead of David Carr?
block4carrmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005   #35
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFan#80
This about sums it up.

Second to this would be getting a WR to complement AJ
We have him, and his name is Gaffney.
Old 01-06-2005   #36
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Ill agree with you to an extent but we ALL KNOW that there is a lack of TALENT on the Texans O-Line . Weak Link .... Steve McKinney . Pitts / Wand are young players Wade / Weigert dont have that excuse , it may be the fact they changed the system that caused the problems in the running game but i dont believe pass protection changes from the man to man blocking scheme to the zone scheme . simple fact is they were the worst in the league at pass protection . There needs to be an upgrade of talent on the O-Line .

On the D-Line i think age / injury have depleted the skills of a couple of the Texans starters , Gary Walker may have been a Pro Bowl player at one point but the past two seasons he has done little to nothing . Injury / Age have caught up to him . Seth Payne was injuried and sat out 90% of last season and is hurt again now , he rebounded well from his last injury but can we expect him to do it again ? . Smith played well the second half of the season . Sears and Deloach are quality BACK-UP's Not Starting calibur players .

It ll starts up front , if you cant block on offense and cant stop the run / put heat on the QB on Defense you cant win , simple as that . Do the Texans need more talent up front ....... YES
I agree with you, the OL and DL were bad. But the problem may not be poor talent as much as it is the system and the time it takes for them to gel. If you start jerking around with the line too much, then it may actually take longer for you to finally see success -- no matter who you plug in there. And yes, the DL needs help. They were so much better in their first year than they are now. That has to be a concern. The bigger concern is that you don't just find those impact players at your front door.
Old 01-06-2005   #37
THEFUTURE
All Pro

How many teams in the NFL use the zone blocking scheme for their O line? I know that the Broncos do. Is there any other teams? and what players in FA are there that have experience in it, so we wont have to repeat the process of having people learn a new blocking system.

I think the only people worth keeping that are on the OL are Pitts and Wade, the only reason im still supporting Pitts is that he has little football experience, was put into a new position, learning a new scheme, so i still thikn he has a chance to be a avg OL
Old 01-07-2005   #38
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
I think the only people worth keeping that are on the OL are Pitts and Wade, the only reason im still supporting Pitts is that he has little football experience, was put into a new position, learning a new scheme, so i still thikn he has a chance to be a avg OL
If that's the case, and we replace everybody but those two guys, then be ready to wait another two or three years for things to gel. You don't just go out, pick up a couple of guys and throw them into the line and expect that to fix up the problem. I don't care WHO you put in there, it will take them time to come together as a unit. I'm not necessarily saying that we don't need some new people in there, but to think that just throwing some new folks in there and, voila! All fixed! Well, that's wishful thinking.
Old 01-07-2005   #39
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Im not saying we just get rid of the others right away and start from scratch, instead bring in maybe one or two guys from free agency, let them work their way in and gel...dont just throw them into being an automatic starter, thats stupid. But everyone knows we need to bring others in, and if we bring in other guys that already know the zone blocking, then thats half the battle. All thats left is them working as a unit, which does take time. But do you honestly think that weigert or mckinney is gonna have a chance of staying a starter the whole year if we bring in others that are more capable of doing the job....my point was simply that over the next few years those might be the only guys that i still see being of any value to our line, and the process starts now of finding other Oline men, to replace the ones that are hindering the progress of our team
Old 01-07-2005   #40
trijcomm

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFUTURE
Im not saying we just get rid of the others right away and start from scratch, instead bring in maybe one or two guys from free agency, let them work their way in and gel...dont just throw them into being an automatic starter, thats stupid. But everyone knows we need to bring others in, and if we bring in other guys that already know the zone blocking, then thats half the battle. All thats left is them working as a unit, which does take time. But do you honestly think that weigert or mckinney is gonna have a chance of staying a starter the whole year if we bring in others that are more capable of doing the job....my point was simply that over the next few years those might be the only guys that i still see being of any value to our line, and the process starts now of finding other Oline men, to replace the ones that are hindering the progress of our team
You see, this is exactly the problem. You want to keep a couple of guys, other folks want to keep the other guys. There is no real way to pin the problem on this guy or these guys. That's why I say that it's a problem with the entire unit playing together. There may be a hole or two there, but I for one think Weigert wasn't so bad. A lot of folks seem to be heaping stuff on McKinney, but I would bet that no matter who you replaced you'd have the same problem next year. I maintain this is more a coaching problem than personnel. I'd give them another year to come together while bringing in some new guys to show them the team means biz. But if the result is the same after next season, then they'd better get a new offensive line coach in here who can motivate the players. Six sacks allowed vs. a team that had just 26 the entire season is unacceptable, but you can't blame those sacks on individuals. The entire unit has to be blamed and when that's the case, it's the line coach that must take the flack.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read